• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

extrasensory

Smash Cadet
ROB has always been my third character that i only really brought out in doubles but i've been struggling with a couple matchups so i'm thinking of developing him a bit more for singles. what are people's thoughts on the ryu and diddy matchups? i feel like rob does well against the former but i'm a bit worried about his size being a detriment and getting him comboed easily.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
ROB has always been my third character that i only really brought out in doubles but i've been struggling with a couple matchups so i'm thinking of developing him a bit more for singles. what are people's thoughts on the ryu and diddy matchups? i feel like rob does well against the former but i'm a bit worried about his size being a detriment and getting him comboed easily.
We win both, both match ups suck to play.

Diddy is getting the lead and then camping. Ryu is praying to god he doesn't touch you and making damn sure he doesn't come back on stage,

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hii, I would think that both MUs are near to even.

Diddy sucks because it's hard getting through his fair wall and he slips out of up air more times than most others do. But we live a while to his kill setups and as long as we don't put ourselves in bad situations (like getting f smashed at the side of the stage) then I think it's fine. Oh, gyro is your body guard from bananas. Treat it as such.

Ryu...hmmm....Maybe my outlook has changed on the idea of camping because at a high lvl, you can't bank on people getting camped. And I think once Ryu gets in, he wins. I said the same thing about Luigi, and now that Boss has found a way to get through my spam, I'm not quite sure what to do. I've never played a super high level ryu. I've played Emblem or w/e his name is from NJ or NY, but I don't think it reflected the MU. I still imagine it can be near even tho. But it scares me to think that Ryu might edge out that MU a little in a later meta.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
D

Deleted member 269706

Hey all, I've noticed I die to ROBs uair more often than not, and I was wondering if it's possible to SDI out of? I've seen people fall out of it and such, but I don't know if that's due to the properties of the move, or if there was any SDI or some other factor playing into that? Appreciate any help.

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
Hey all, I've noticed I die to ROBs uair more often than not, and I was wondering if it's possible to SDI out of? I've seen people fall out of it and such, but I don't know if that's due to the properties of the move, or if there was any SDI or some other factor playing into that? Appreciate any help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH_46_2BtOM

Go to 2:47 in the video, should give you everything you need to know about surviving Up Air!

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH_46_2BtOM

Go to 2:47 in the video, should give you everything you need to know about surviving Up Air!
If you want a text explanation:

When you are in the multi hits of the up air, your inputs are reversed. If you hold left, you go to the right. So when in the move, you want to hold a direction until you get to the last hit, then you hold the opposite of that. So for some specific examples,

If you hold left when in the multi hits, you get sent to the right, so DI the final hit to the right.

If you hold right when in the multi hits, you get sent to the left, so DI the final hit to the left.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
If you want a text explanation:

When you are in the multi hits of the up air, your inputs are reversed. If you hold left, you go to the right. So when in the move, you want to hold a direction until you get to the last hit, then you hold the opposite of that. So for some specific examples,

If you hold left when in the multi hits, you get sent to the right, so DI the final hit to the right.

If you hold right when in the multi hits, you get sent to the left, so DI the final hit to the left.

Something that I'm not sure was test is ROB's movement during the up air as well as that manipulates where the opponent ends up at as well. At least it does with no DI.

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
Anyone maybe noticed changed for ROB with 1.1.4? I feel that the intagibility frames on his upb have been increased but as always after a patch it might be a placebo. Anyone has the means to check it?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
If anyone is still wondering about the changes: He now has 1 less frame of invincibility when doing a get up option from trip. He had 6, now everyone has 5.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Just wondering, is the invincibility on Up-B actually helpful? I feel like hypothetically it could be used like Olimar's Down B but idk how hard that is.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Just wondering, is the invincibility on Up-B actually helpful? I feel like hypothetically it could be used like Olimar's Down B but idk how hard that is.
I actually think it doesn't have invincibility. It doesnt say so on Kurogane Hammer anymore.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I actually think it doesn't have invincibility. It doesnt say so on Kurogane Hammer anymore.
Went into Training mode just in case, turns out the invincibility is still there. You can still see R.O.B. flash white. He also didn't take damage from Corrin's jab when timed correctly.

Apparently, though, it's only there when you take off from the ground. Not when you start the Up-B from the air, not from continuing the Up-B in the air. Do you know if it was always like that?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Went into Training mode just in case, turns out the invincibility is still there. You can still see R.O.B. flash white. He also didn't take damage from Corrin's jab when timed correctly.

Apparently, though, it's only there when you take off from the ground. Not when you start the Up-B from the air, not from continuing the Up-B in the air. Do you know if it was always like that?
No idea. Thanks for the info though, I'll have to look into this.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
If an opportunity like that presented itself, I'd personally opt for z-drop nair x 3 -> gyro toss forward -> insta-toss forward -> fair (or z-drop nair x 2 -> gyro toss forward -> footstool -> dair on someone like DK), which does a similar amount of damage and looks more guaranteed. Someone with a better combo breaker than DK (or even DK's upb) looks like it could break that string. Fair -> fair definitely doesn't combo around 20% (and he even lands before that second fair), and IDK if landing fair -> dash attack combos at that percent either. A punish like that is incredibly situational though.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
How do you guys get the gyro? I'm having trouble against better opponents (who can usually shield it, making the gyro disappear).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey everyone, bit of a late notice but I'm hosting a tournament tomorrow from 2:00-3:30 pm EST time. I'll post the password around 30 minutes before it starts. Here's the info. and rules.

Tourney Name: RnW's Tourney #2
Up to 100 participants. So enter the password quickly!!!
The winner will be the participant with the most POINTS, not most wins.
Time limit per match: 10 minutes.
3 Stocks each match.
You get to select a preferred stage.
The Smash Ball is the only item on, and is on the "high" likelihood of appearing.
Mii Fighters are allowed.
Custom Fighters are NOT allowed.

Good luck to everyone!!!

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sorry guys, slight time change! It will now be from 7:00-8:30pm EST time.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So the tournament is up but won't start till 7. If you guys want in, the Tourney ID is 62277070272286. Password is Overdrive.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
My question kinda got buried, I'd appreciate an answer.
How do you guys get the gyro? I'm having trouble against better opponents (who can usually shield it, making the gyro disappear).
I feel like getting the gyro could be an area I could improve on, because the only way I really get it is by basically spamming projectiles and eventually getting the gyro once it lands. I have a feeling that there's a better way to do it.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I feel like getting the gyro could be an area I could improve on, because the only way I really get it is by basically spamming projectiles and eventually getting the gyro once it lands. I have a feeling that there's a better way to do it.
You could just get one out after you've killed someone, but that's kinda a lazy answer from me right now. Lol.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Getting gyro out in neutral can get pretty tricky. At higher levels of gameplay, players are going to powershield most of your mid/long range gyros on reaction, so it won't be easy to land free gyros with zero risk. Due to reaction time and input delay, people generally won't be able to react to sub 17 frame options, so this is where most of your gyros will connect; however, gyro is also a risky option here because most characters can get a pretty hard punish off a powershield at this range. Charging the gyro and using tricks like b-reverse, wavebouncing, and gyro cancels go a long way. Just using gyro a lot until it hits does seem to be a viable strategy as well, since I feel 8BitMan does this.

Gyro is also good as a landing trap or as a ledge trap when they're recovering (learn the range so you can shoot it and have it spin near the ledge). In combos, you can get gyro out of dtilt, nair at low percents, fair at low/mid percents (more of a landing trap), and uthrow (if the opponent DIs away).

Sorry for the disorganized writing. Hopefully I was able to help.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Hey guys, So I have been inactive for awhile and all of a sudden I am going to a tourney.
I haven't played the game in like 4 months and I need advice.

So tell me, over the last like 5 months has anything changed much for rob's metagame?
With all the changes made is there anything new that destros rob that I should now be aware of? (characters/new combos)
So Bayonetta is unfortunately a thing, How the heck do I di those combos

I am basically trying to cram the last 5 months into one day of training lol
Thanks in advance squad <3

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, other than Corrin and Bayonetta being thrown into the mix, not much has changed for R.O.B.. He's just got new competition. Ever since around Jan. we've just been left alone when they put out patches.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I don't see an FAQ on the op so I'm gonna ask this even if it's already been asked before: is there any reason to charge Gyro? I know constant use of Instant Gyro Cancelling or whatever it's called, charges it over time but outside of that, the uncharged version seems in all ways better since you can get your hands on it faster, plus the fully charged version tends to go so far that it goes off stage.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I don't see an FAQ on the op so I'm gonna ask this even if it's already been asked before: is there any reason to charge Gyro? I know constant use of Instant Gyro Cancelling or whatever it's called, charges it over time but outside of that, the uncharged version seems in all ways better since you can get your hands on it faster, plus the fully charged version tends to go so far that it goes off stage.
I think this question was answered before, but yeah, in most cases, it's better to leave it uncharged since you're able to IGC, gyro cancel, and do fakeouts by shielding instead of actually shooting it. Charging it all the way should only be used if you want to snipe the opponent or something, but generally you use the uncharged version, I think.

Last edited:

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
I think a distinction has to be made between fully charged gyro and partially charged gyro. Fully charged gyro is just kinda bad and limits your options, but partially charging gyro can be used to throw off your opponent's powershield timings or to bait a reaction in neutral.

Plategoron

Smash Rookie
NNID
Plategoron
An uncharged gyro can come in pretty handy, but a partially charged gyro can also come in pretty handy as well.

Not charging it allows to pick it up quicker, whereas a partially charged gyro does a bit more damage and allows to punish the opponent for landing further away, where only our lazer could hit him otherwise.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Gyro info dump that I'm going to post here as well because it's slightly useful and is going to get lost in Discord.

WRT clanking, gyro acts differently when spinning and in every other instance. Thrown gyro acts the same as gyro shot with downb so I'm just going to group everything else together as aerial gyro.

Aerial gyro disappears if the hitbox clanks, but not if it gets hit. This means transcendent moves can't destroy it but will still hit it away. The hitbox and hurtbox don't fully overlap, so normal moves can hit it away as well. Not sure on specifics of the hitbox/hurtbox location though. Gyro follows grounded hitbox priority and will overpower moves that do >9% less than it, meaning smash thrown gyros and strong partially charged gyros can beat weak moves like jabs. The 13% hitbox for smash dthrow beats lots of weak moves including Climhazzard, but it's only out for 2-3 frames.

Grounded gyro won't disappear when it clanks or gets hit. Clanking will remove gyro's refreshing hitbox for that cycle letting it get hit by the next move if it's fast enough. Ground gyro takes no vertical knockback, only horitzontal. It also respects the >9% rule, but because it does 5% or 2% per hit it'll never overpower anything but can be overpowered. The refreshing hitbox can only hit someone once per cycle, but it'll reset when the gyro switches state from the 5% hitbox to the 2% hitbox so someone can be hit multiple times in short succession. The 5% hitbox lasts longer with charging but it seemed like the 2% hitbox always last the same amount of time regardless of charge.

Gyro is frame 3 when released from the charging animation.

11volt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MasterHector
3DS FC
3308-4758-8536
Switch FC
SW-6893-8714-9974
What would R.O.B.'s best combo breaker options be? I keep trying to use f-air, but it doesn't often work. Am I using the wrong move, or am I just not using it right?

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
What would R.O.B.'s best combo breaker options be? I keep trying to use f-air, but it doesn't often work. Am I using the wrong move, or am I just not using it right?
ROB doesn't really have any combo breakers. This is one of his weaknesses and contributes to him being combo food. Your best bet is just to wait for a hole in their combo, then use double jump or airdodge intelligently to minimize the damage you take. Fair can work, but only in specific circumstances because the hitbox isn't positioned optimally for breaking out of combos.

Top Bottom