• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Or smiling balloon guy, or spaceman with no flower aliens.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
OK, I was doing a match, when suddenly it looked like I accidentally did a jab lock with the gyro's lingering hitbox .
I'll be able to upload the video, but I'm just wondering if it's:
1. Legitimate
2. Usable
I'm planning on making a thread if it's both. I mean, it could make some pretty awesome "LOLWUT" moments.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
@ Pixel_ Pixel_ I have tried to experiment with that too a while ago just to see if it was possible and you can indeed get a Jablock hit from the grounded spinning gyro since some of the hits from it are weak enough!

There is only one situation where it could be setup into as far as i know though, and that is when the gyro is grounded behind the opponent and you do a shorthop Fair when the opponent is at around 50 -75 percent, causing them to get jablocked by the gyro if they land beside it.

The thing is that a normal Dtilt jablock usually would work just as well in this scenario, and it's so incredibly difficult to pull off that im not sure if it's anything worth pointing out.

Would be cool to see your video though, and maybe you can find some good uses for it that i haven't thought of! :)

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Omg, trying to do a jab lock with the gyro is practically impossible.
Using Fair, from about an uncharged gyro toss away, it works from about 77% to 82%.
I got a vid together to show the overly exact conditions to do it, but I don't think it's worth making a thread, unless someone can do all those gyro techniques to make it work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SunJ1h5o_NY&feature=em-upload_owner

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Anyone know how many frames of invincibility ROB's up B has? It seems like 1 or 2.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Oh it def does as far as I can tell. It did in Brawl too. One frame I believe.
Idk how to look into this stuff.

You can slow the game down to 1/4th speed in training mode and zoom in cam on rob if you want to see for yourself. Unless I'm seeing things. 100% sure it was in Brawl and there wasn't frame data listed on it in charts.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Uh...why'd we just go from a green Q&A thread to a red Smash 3DS thread?

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Does anyone have the percents that Dthrow-Uair works? I am trying to find the best times to jump away, airdodge or DI back into a jump/airdodge.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Aside from celebrating a victory, what is Uptilt good for? It seems to me that Uptilt does not have many real uses.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Aside from celebrating a victory, what is Uptilt good for? It seems to me that Uptilt does not have many real uses.
If someone is right next to you, it can combo into itself, then sometimes into a Uair.

It doesn't happen way too often, maybe 1 in 3 matches or less.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Utilt combos into Uair more reliably than dthrow, and into itself at lower percents. It's also not too laggy, so that's nice.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Is gyro spiking stage specific?

The spike is not a true meteor but a stage spike correct? so is it tech-able?

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Is gyro spiking stage specific?

The spike is not a true meteor but a stage spike correct? so is it tech-able?
Actually, it IS a true meteor. Gyrospiking refers to the act of landing Dair out of gyro, whether z-dropped or just left on the stage (since it has a hitbox while spinning). Gyro by itself can't meteor opponents.

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
......Oh. Oh. I did not know we could do that.

Considering the new mechanics that prevent one from teching if they're hit against a wall they're already touching at the time, that seems like it'd be true as well (except maybe on certain stages? I noticed the example on BF just sent Toon Link straight down, without showing the effect of him slamming against the wall, but I don't see how that'd make it easier to tech).

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
Just started playing R.O.B and am really having fun with it. That said I see everyone go for down throw into up air, and besides from zero percent, I seem to have trouble getting this to work. My opponents tend to D.I out, but almost always air dodge the move. Am I doing something wrong? Or is that combo just not as reliable as I thought?

nintendonaut

Smash Rookie
Actually has a couple good uses, but you're right in that they're not super obvious at first. Firstly, it's great for pressuring under a ledge. I think it's even better than U-Air because it comes out faster, and the multi-hit catches people off guard. If you spam it under the ledge it can really shred a shield. If you do connect it, it can combo right into U-Air at a lot of percents.

You can also do a falling-backwards-Nair into someone, and then keep your backwards momentum so that if they shield the Nair you can follow up with a U-Tilt. If you keep the momentum, you'll end up practically "inside" their character model allowing for the U-Tilt to connect. It's kind of hard to explain, but you can see what I'm talking about at the 1:06 mark of this video.

When you land, just keep holding back on the control stick and use your C-Stick to U-Tilt.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Does anyone have any tips for fighting R.O.B.? I seem to have a really hard time fighting him and want to find out how to fight him.

It looks like his main weakness is close combat, but his smash attacks are so strong and quick. So any tips?

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
Do not let rob play with his gyro. Stick to him and when he shoots it, catch it and throw it up and repeat.

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
Learn to powershield through his projectiles, and watch out for fair as ROB attempts to pick his gyro up / stop you up close. Nair is used a lot to land and to read roll so watch out. If he's landing with nair either try to catch it before it comes out (risky, you have to be close to do this) or shield and see how he reacts afterwards (Does he roll? Dtilt? Grab? punish these accordingly depending on what he does). Also his smash attacks aren't all that quick, and shouldn't be stopping you from combing once you get it unless your character is slow or has bad frame data (I see you have shulk in your list of mains, they could potentially annoy him). Also if you get gyro make sure to throw it up or hold onto it to keep it away from ROB as long as possible.

Now a question of my own - how exactly does the ROB ken combo work? What percents does it work at, and where does the opponent have to be positioned relative to my body? I'd like to be able to pull this off hopefully as it seems quite deadly!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Learn to powershield through his projectiles, and watch out for fair as ROB attempts to pick his gyro up / stop you up close. Nair is used a lot to land and to read roll so watch out. If he's landing with nair either try to catch it before it comes out (risky, you have to be close to do this) or shield and see how he reacts afterwards (Does he roll? Dtilt? Grab? punish these accordingly depending on what he does). Also his smash attacks aren't all that quick, and shouldn't be stopping you from combing once you get it unless your character is slow or has bad frame data (I see you have shulk in your list of mains, they could potentially annoy him). Also if you get gyro make sure to throw it up or hold onto it to keep it away from ROB as long as possible.

Now a question of my own - how exactly does the ROB ken combo work? What percents does it work at, and where does the opponent have to be positioned relative to my body? I'd like to be able to pull this off hopefully as it seems quite deadly!
I'm not all that competitive, but even I know what you're talking about. Though I don't use Fair to Fair to Fair to Dair, I'll tell you that I have been able to beat up sandbag with Fair to Fair (double jump here) to Fair to Fair to Gyro (doesn't matter how charged it is, knock back should kill them) at near...I think it was 80% when I killed him?

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
How good are you at juggling? Rob does not like being in the air, and while Shulk or Mewtwo (both I see in your mains list) aren't superb at it they should be able to keep him in the air for some time with Utilt (and Uair, though I can't see Shulk having as much success with that). If they go high or you can knock them into the air, take advantage of it for as long as possible.

Also..... don't play dumb at the ledge. Gyrospike will eat your face if you're predictable with your getup options, make sure to mix them up.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild

Fair->dair is never a true combo - fair just doesn't provide enough frame advantage on hit to ensure dair connects. The main option it covers is if they airdodge after the fair and DI in.

Fair->footstool->dair is slightly more reliable, though not guaranteed either. To do this, you want to land the fair as close as possible to the opponent, drift with them, buffer the footstool, then dair ASAP. Through (limited) testing, I believe this works best against characters with similar fall speed to ROB, and works better versus heavier and bigger characters. This works at low and mid percent, roughly 25-50% before the fair depending on weight of the opponent. However, almost every character can DI the footstool to not be hit by the dair if they're prepared for this set-up (unless they're onstage).

Here a video demonstrating the follow-up:
https://twitter.com/xD1x/status/661106306451927040

uthrow->fair is also a potential set-up, but I need to test more. Try doing uthrow->fair->footstool->dair on DK in training mode at 15% if you're having trouble with the timing.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Hmmmm... could you potentially try and follow their di to get the Dair, or are they just not in tumble state long enough for it to work reliably?

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
They're not in tumble long enough. They'll always be able to airdodge or hit you before dair comes out.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
my friend plays rob and he does an edguard setup where he z drops the gyro right near the edge of the stage, rolls back and charges an up smash, the gyro sends me perfectly into the smash. How can i avoid this? i roll into his up smash, normal getup knocks me into smash, it hit me when i tried jumping as well.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
my friend plays rob and he does an edguard setup where he z drops the gyro right near the edge of the stage, rolls back and charges an up smash, the gyro sends me perfectly into the smash. How can i avoid this? i roll into his up smash, normal getup knocks me into smash, it hit me when i tried jumping as well.
Just going to quote Mister Eric Mister Eric since he had a nice write-up about this:
When ROB is facing off the stage, and they commit to the spike setup.
ANSWER: Roll.

When ROB faces towards the stage, and commits to the upsmash.
ANSWER: Regrab ledge, insta toss, aerial grab, take a detour.

When ROB faces towards the stage, and doesn't commit to anything (optimal option).
ANSWER: Let go > jump > airdodge, take a detour, stay on ledge if gyro doesn't hit your fingers.

There are a few more scenarios but this about covers it.
The only thing I'll add is you can also let go > jump > aerial, and you should also be able to pick up the gyro with your aerial.

nintendonaut

Smash Rookie
Yeah, basically what Mister Eric Mister Eric said there.

It kind of depends on your character, because if your character's hurtbox doesn't extend over the ledge you can hang there until the gyro goes away. If it does extend over the ledge, you're going to probably have to re-grab. Be very careful to mix things up though, and not get too predictable with your re-grabs. I was playing someone in friendlies at a local last night, and they started dodging the setup multiple times with a re-grab. So next time I set things up, I stayed at ledge instead of committing. Sure enough, he instinctively re-grabbed, and I spiked him immediately. So just be sure you're keeping your opponent guessing, and not spamming the same options over and over.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
So to catch gyros as seamless as this: https://youtu.be/IvFQDIZ69zA?t=6m17s all you have to do is airdodge right over it correct?

Also, how can rob zig-zag through the air like this? https://youtu.be/IvFQDIZ69zA?t=6m27s
Yeah, you can grab gyros off the ground with aerials or airdodge. I have no idea how it looked that seamless, though.

The zigzag is a gyro cancel, done by wavebouncing / b-reversing (also turnaround B?) while using shield to cancel the actual charging of the gyro. Basically, look at this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/important-gyro-cancelling-tip.383117/

Phill-Bot

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you can grab gyros off the ground with aerials or airdodge. I have no idea how it looked that seamless, though.

The zigzag is a gyro cancel, done by wavebouncing / b-reversing (also turnaround B?) while using shield to cancel the actual charging of the gyro. Basically, look at this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/important-gyro-cancelling-tip.383117/
Thanks for the response. But I'm still wondering how ROB players make grabbing the gyro off the ground seem so easy. Are they jumping and immediately pressing dodge to pick it up? https://youtu.be/PD6QhhZ6M_U?t=20m1s

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Thanks for the response. But I'm still wondering how ROB players make grabbing the gyro off the ground seem so easy. Are they jumping and immediately pressing dodge to pick it up? https://youtu.be/PD6QhhZ6M_U?t=20m1s
VVVV
Could be some weird airdodge-animation-canceled-by-picking-up-the-gyro thing or something, idk.
Mister Eric Mister Eric ?

Top Bottom