• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strengths and drawbacks of digital and physical copies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Hey all

I'm not new to smashboards, but it has been a while since I posted as I havent smashed in years.

I recently got some money for my birthday and it just happen to be the correct amount for a new 3DS, so I picked up a new Super Smash Bros Blue edition 3dsxl, and as such reserved SSB for the 3ds.

I haven't used nintendo products in years but I am primarily a PC gamer so I am familiar with digital downloads and process.

My questions to the Smash Boards community is as follows.

1) Are there any advantages to having a physical copy of the game over a digital one? If so what are they.

2) Will the game be available at Midnight on 10/3/2014 for Digital Download.

3) Do gamestops do midnight releases for 3DS games?

4) How reliable is the Nintendo eStore, will they be able to handle the traffic on launch day?

These are all the questions I can think of right now. Thanks!

FireWater

Gwoop

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gwoopington
3DS FC
5455-9855-7285
Congrats on the new 3DS! It's a lovely console.

1.) Physical copy vs digital is really just a matter of preference. Smash 4 is a rather hefty file size so obviously if you go physical that's not a problem. I however had to buy a larger SD card because I prefer having the digital copy always on me. Apart from that you may prefer to get a physical copy if you just enjoy the idea of having nicely designed box art on display on a shelf.

2.) Yes, Nintendo are releasing the game at midnight.

3.) Not for every 3DS game but I do believe Smash 4 is going to have a midnight launch at certain Gamestops in the US. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong or have more specific information.

4.) The eStore will most likely suffer and lag a bit during the midnight launch. Hopefully it won't crash completely, but it's always a risk when going digital unfortunately.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
It really depends if u want to always have the game with u. I personally have put over 100$ in the Eshop and don't regret a single penny u don't have to drive or w8 on line to buy the game. And u can Uninstall it and re download it back when ever u want. The Only problem is of u lose your DS or if it breaks u can't get ANY OF YOUR GAMES BACK. If there's a error in the Eshop u will get your money back or just try redownloading the game. Also u don't need to worry about getting the new 3ds cuz u can transfer data to it.

Now for the hard copy u get a wonderful box art and the game. The only real down side is that if u lose the game well its lost. Also if u want to carry smash bros and some other game then u have to bring both with u.

They both have their up sides and down but if u are a game collector then buy hard copy.

Last edited:

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
I prefer a physical copy by far. You never risk losing your safe data or your game is your 3DS decides to break down. Besides I find it fun to have the box in hand.

The game should be available at midnight for download or the same time the demo was made available for download, not sure on that one.

The e-shop will most likely have a mental breakdown on launch day, just saying xD
Besides, we've been waiting on the game for so long now, I'm sure it won't hurt to just get your copy half a day later ;p

K-45

Smash Journeyman
I prefer a physical copy by far. You never risk losing your safe data or your game is your 3DS decides to break down. Besides I find it fun to have the box in hand.

The game should be available at midnight for download or the same time the demo was made available for download, not sure on that one.

The e-shop will most likely have a mental breakdown on launch day, just saying xD
Besides, we've been waiting on the game for so long now, I'm sure it won't hurt to just get your copy half a day later ;p
I don't think the Eshop will break down again they took the Eshop down for a month after poke bank came out to improve it. I'm sure nintendo will try their best to make sure it's not to repeat their past mistakes.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
For most games I get a digital copy if I can.

However Smash is dear to me and not having a physical copy would annoy me. I love reading the booklets, looking at the cartridge and all that, but only for smash. Any other game I don't really care.

Last edited:

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
I don't think the Eshop will break down again they took the Eshop down for a month after poke bank came out to improve it. I'm sure nintendo will try their best to make sure it's not to repeat their past mistakes.
I hope not but honestly it's Smash Bros we're talking about here haha. I'll need to see it not breaking down to believe it.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
What I'm doing is buying digitally for the Wii U version, and hard copy for the 3DS version. The reason being: when the Wii U version comes out I will sell my 3DS version sometime after the Wii U one releases to recoup some money, and I am going digitally for the Wii U version because the Wii had trouble reading the Brawl disc, and since I'd never sell the Wii U version, I might as well get it digital,

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Physical copy always. I've always preferred holding the item I buy, rather than just purchasing the data. I've read a lot of people saying they prefer digital so they don't have to waste time switching cartridges, which personally blows my mind...

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Physical copy always. I've always preferred holding the item I buy, rather than just purchasing the data. I've read a lot of people saying they prefer digital so they don't have to waste time switching cartridges, which personally blows my mind...
One more reason people perfer digital is because they often have shorter load times and u can't damage the data.

Like infinitetripping Saido his smash bros disk was scratch and now it doesn't work anymore.

In the end it always comes down to personal preference.

Last edited:

Kirbyquake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirbyquake
3DS FC
0430-8315-5741
I prefer a physical copy because of the neat box and booklet it comes with

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
1) Are there any advantages to having a physical copy of the game over a digital one? If so what are they.
Advantages of Physical Copy
* You wouldn't need to download the game and thus perhaps save up some SD card space for other things.
* If the cartridge gets lost, it would only be that game that would get lost and not everything else.
* You wouldn't have to worry about transfers and all.

Advantages of Digital.
* Every game will be available to you with a simple tap from the system menu.
* You can get the game without leaving the house (But then again, you can also order the physical one from Amazon or eBay and all too unless that's not your thing)
* You can download the game as soon as the midnight release and sleep through it overnight and play the game as soon as you wake up. (or as soon as it's finished)

There are more but three for each is fine for now....

2) Will the game be available at Midnight on 10/3/2014 for Digital Download.
Yes.
3) Do gamestops do midnight releases for 3DS games?
I don't know.
4) How reliable is the Nintendo eStore, will they be able to handle the traffic on launch day?
It probably won't when you download it directly from the eShop but if you go for the sleep mode option then all you need to do is choose that and then leave the system menu and close the lid of your 3DS (Don't shut the system down) and wait it out for then. That way you wouldn't have to worry of any potential disconnects from the eShop.

Hope that helps.

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
I am also split on this topic. I wanted it digitally originally, because my ACNL is always in my 3DS and I'd play it much less if I had other physical games. I have a huge SD card in the 3DS for this reason. If I got it physical though, 1) I'd have the box, and it's such an essential title to me that it'd mean alot to me. 2) I could probably get it sooner than release date. 3) It'd be much easier to handle whenever the new 3DS XL comes out and I have to do a system transfer.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway

The games are saved on the SD card, not the console.

Khao

Smash Lord
For as long as they continue selling them at the same price (which is completely nonsensical) I'll keep buying physical versions without even considering the digital ones.

You're literally getting more out of the same price when buying a physical version.

Also, keep in mind that digital purchases are tied to your console, not to an account. If you're used to PC gaming, especially with Steam, that might be a big change. If you lose your console, that's it.

Also, Nintendo's eShop has had traffic issues before, the release of Pokémon X and Y got the store down for a while.

Last edited:

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
I didn't know digital purchases were tied to console not account. I work a half day Friday's anyway so looks like I am hitting GameStop on my way home.

I think it's a bad idea for Nintendo to bind games to console and not an account. That's really a poor business model for the consumer.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know digital purchases were tied to console not account. I work a half day Friday's anyway so looks like I am hitting GameStop on my way home.

I think it's a bad idea for Nintendo to bind games to console and not an account. That's really a poor business model for the consumer.
Really is and they should just do the same thing as steam/PSN. Then again this is the same console that has regen lock...

Last edited:

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
I'm buying digital for two main reasons:

1) Midnight on the eShop is in Eastern time, but I'm in Pacific, so I get the game earlier than I would from a "midnight" physical release.
2) No tax. At least not here. Counting both the Wii U and 3DS versions, that saves me about $8.50.

If I really love a series, sometimes I buy both physical and digital. Smash is at that level, but I figure that I'll reserve the money I would have spent on extra physical copies for Amiibos.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Really is and they should just do the same thing as steam/PSN. Then again this is the same console that has regen lock...
The PS2 has region lock. My mom bought a game in London and when she came back, it didn't work.

S2

Smash Lord
I understand the desire to have the physical copy. The booklet and box are nice to have.

For any fighting game I really prefer digital copies though. It's nice to be able to boot it up and have it with you even if you've got another cart in your 3DS. I bought Pokemon X digitally and I'll never look back. Being able to access my games without needing to bring the cart is wonderful.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
My challenge with digital nintendo purchases is that it binds to the device and not the account. I think that is an awful system. I will be picking up my copy at gamestop.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
My challenge with digital nintendo purchases is that it binds to the device and not the account. I think that is an awful system. I will be picking up my copy at gamestop.
Try not to brake your c-pad

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I was thinking of going digital, but now that I think about it, I have a 2GB SD card. Will that be enough to download Smash 3DS if I haven't downloaded anything else?

I downloaded the demo, but you'd think it wouldn't be such a big download for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
I was thinking of going digital, but now that I think about it, I have a 2GB SD card. Will that be enough to download Smash 3DS if I haven't downloaded anything else?
I think the game itself actually takes up 2gb, and that's cutting it close. 2gb SD card usually means around 1.6 gigs.

Last edited:

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
I think the game itself actually takes up 2gb, and that's cutting it close. 2gb SD card usually means around 1.6 gigs.
I downloaded on a clean SD card provided witht he 3DS.

Out of over 2000 blocks, the download left me with roughly 300 blocks free space.

So yeah, Super Smash takes a lot of space. I don't think I'm going to record any replays anytime soon.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I much prefer physical. I like being able to actually have the game and the box art for it. I may not have all my games on me at once, but I never have to worry about losing them if my 3DS breaks for whatever possible reason, which is also nice to take into consideration.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Yes as of now. Later on if they add dlc it's supposed to take 2.1GB if the rumors are ture. The whole game right now takes about 9,700 blocks if u have nothing else on your SD card u can also fit mario kart 7 on there

Laikue

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thatguylaikue
3DS FC
4356-1192-5913
Um, it ties it to your NNID, not your system.

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
I downloaded on a clean SD card provided witht he 3DS.

Out of over 2000 blocks, the download left me with roughly 300 blocks free space.

So yeah, Super Smash takes a lot of space. I don't think I'm going to record any replays anytime soon.
Oh ok, that's good to hear atleast. I didn't buy any digital games until I bought a 32gb SD card so you won't have to go into the hassle of transferring data later on if you guys ever plan on getting more games digital.

Last edited:

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Um, it ties it to your NNID, not your system.
It's not really going to help much, if you can only have one account per system.

As I hear it, if the server detects your account is already on a existing 3DS, you can't use that account. You will need to transfer it fomr your old 3DS, into the new device.
That's going to be a problem, if your old 3DS is either broken, or missing.

I would call it "pseudo" tying.

Oh ok, that's good to hear atleast. I didn't buy any digital games until I bought a 32gb SD card so you won't have to go into the hassle of transferring data later on if you guys ever plan on getting more games digital.
It appears I was wrong. The SD card didn't have around just "2000" blocks. :V
Someone said the game took 9700.

Last edited:

Laikue

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thatguylaikue
3DS FC
4356-1192-5913
It's not really going to help much, if you can only have one account per system.

As I hear it, if the server detects your account is already on a existing 3DS, you can't use that account. You will need to transfer it fomr your old 3DS, into the new device.
That's going to be a problem, if your old 3DS is either broken, or missing.

I would call it "pseudo" tying.
You can contact Nintendo and they'll sort it out for you. Worked for me, at least.

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
Warning Received
Last edited:

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
That is a thread inquiring about what type of copy people will be buying. This thread is inquiring about specific advantages to both a digital copy and a hard copy, as well as me asking questions about nintendo's digital distribution system. The two threads can co-exist which I will prove after the next quote. I also stated that I tried to run a search and I didn't come up with the specifics I was looking for, so I started a new thread.

By the way, the moderators care, and SO MUCH MORE than you do. They can lock this site ANY time they feel the need, so don't think you're as smart or as clever as you think you are, trying to get away with it.
Advantages of Physical Copy
* You wouldn't need to download the game and thus perhaps save up some SD card space for other things.
* If the cartridge gets lost, it would only be that game that would get lost and not everything else.
* You wouldn't have to worry about transfers and all.

Advantages of Digital.
* Every game will be available to you with a simple tap from the system menu.
* You can get the game without leaving the house (But then again, you can also order the physical one from Amazon or eBay and all too unless that's not your thing)
* You can download the game as soon as the midnight release and sleep through it overnight and play the game as soon as you wake up. (or as soon as it's finished)

There are more but three for each is fine for now....

Yes.

I don't know.

It probably won't when you download it directly from the eShop but if you go for the sleep mode option then all you need to do is choose that and then leave the system menu and close the lid of your 3DS (Don't shut the system down) and wait it out for then. That way you wouldn't have to worry of any potential disconnects from the eShop.

Hope that helps.
If this thread wasn't "legal" than a moderator would not have posted a detailed explanation (which was very helpful I might add)

If you've been on this site for so long, why can't you just follow the rules?
Moderators, please lock this thread.
The only one who is a liability in this thread is you. YOU made a nonsensical post requesting the thread was locked, without posting any evidence in your original post that there was a duplicate. YOU have not offered anything of value in this thread thus far. YOU are trying to play hall monitor by threatening me with what the moderators can and can't do.

The moderators will decide if this thread needs to be locked, and if it does than so be it, I got all the information I needed. The wanna be moderator who's behavior is a liability to the community will not ;)

So I stick with my original point, This is a separate topic with specific questions about each medium. There are about 30 or so more posts after your post complaining about whatever it is you are complaining about, including a moderator's post giving a VERY detailed explanation of the benefits of a physical copy vs a digital copy.

I'm not suggesting the moderators don't care about this forum, I just don't think they care about your opinions on it.

This is the last post I will be making to address you, as I have reported you for posting off topic in thread with a very specific topic. I pray there are minimal amounts of SmashHole '82's in the Smash Boards community. People like you kill games better than bad balance does.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom