• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Straw Graspin': Find evidence for Newcomers

bobadz

Smash Ace
Pulsle and Minun may have been considered for Brawl.

Gen 3 remakes announced.

Mega Pulsle and Mega Minun were trademarked last year.

Pulsle and Minun confirmed.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Goku

Goku is owned by Namco. Namco is making Smash 4. Sakurai said that the Namco newcomer won't be from a fighting game. Goku originated from a fighting anime. Goku's in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Goku

Goku is owned by Namco. Namco is making Smash 4. Sakurai said that the Namco newcomer won't be from a fighting game. Foku originated from a fighting anime. Goku's in Smash 4.
Last I heard he was owned by Funimation, Toei Animation, FujiTV and Akira Toriama. (Please support the official release.)

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Last I heard he was owned by Funimation, Toei Animation, FujiTV and Akira Toriama. (Please support the official release.)
I caught the team four star reference.

Anyway, Hoenn remakes confirmed.
Greninja made Sceptile a popular choice right before this happened.
Sceptile confirmed.

Gen III remakes being made.

Only Fire and Water starters on the roster.

Sceptile is a grass starter in Gen III. Sceptile confirmed.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Not really anymore. He used to be pretty popular back in the day. Besides, this is just finding silly reasons for newcomers.
Yeah, I doubt he's in, but the hormone-raging young teenage engineer in me wants to see all the correct pieces in place, with each starter type represented, even if I haven't played a Pokemon game since experimenting with Diamond/Pearl for about 2 hours :)

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Is he generally popular? He looks pretty cool, but I don't remember him exactly making waves. Not big on Pokemon
He was Ash's pokemon much like Froakie (Greninja) and Charizard are also Ash's pokemon. But Froakie is the only one so far that hasn't evolved to their full evolution (and most likely wont) unlike Sceptile and Charizard

KatKit

Smash Lord
Melee introduced us to a then Japan only character. Melee was also the second game in the series. The upcoming game will be the fourth installment. Thus there is a pattern that every other Smash Bros game will have a character that was once exclusive to Japan. Greninja is new and is a Ninja like Sheik, who is finally her own character so she's technically new (bear with me, it will make sense). Villager and WFT are both new, and they are both humanoids. Now, apply my Sheik logic to Charizard. If Ridley is confirmed, we have two new dragons. Apply my Sheik logic again for Zelda, who is also new. Rosalina (kind of) and Zelda are princesses. So we have this: 2 new ninjas, 2 new princesses, 2 new dragons, and 2 new humanoids. Ah, but what about Megaman? Remember my Japan only reference? Sukapon confirmed as second robot. Hey, but what about ZSS, you say? Bayonetta confirmed. Now balance has been restored.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Melee introduced us to a then Japan only character. Melee was also the second game in the series. The upcoming game will be the fourth installment. Thus there is a pattern that every other Smash Bros game will have a character that was once exclusive to Japan. Greninja is new and is a Ninja like Sheik, who is finally her own character so she's technically new (bear with me, it will make sense). Villager and WFT are both new, and they are both humanoids. Now, apply my Sheik logic to Charizard. If Ridley is confirmed, we have two new dragons. Apply my Sheik logic again for Zelda, who is also new. Rosalina (kind of) and Zelda are princesses. So we have this: 2 new ninjas, 2 new princesses, 2 new dragons, and 2 new humanoids. Ah, but what about Megaman? Remember my Japan only reference? Sukapon confirmed as second robot. Hey, but what about ZSS, you say? Bayonetta confirmed. Now balance has been restored.
What about Little Mac? Hitmonchan confirmed.

And normal Samus? If Zelda is counted as new, then so is regular Samus.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord

Or Knuckle Joe because Sakurai bias.

Unlike the others listed, there was a time when regular Samus held a character slot without transforming. But let's add Ray MK III just because.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Or Knuckle Joe because Sakurai bias.

Varia suit Samus held a character slot without transforming. But let's add Ray MK just because.
Hitmonchan and Knuckle Joe confirmed as secret characters for Punch Out Wii U.
Get Hype.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Although I haven't made a serious post in this thread. I think you may be on to something actually awesome, haha.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Continuous attacks now end with a stronger final hit...
The Spear ability from Kirby also has a continuous attack that ends with a stronger final hit...
Bandana Dee confirmed!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is he generally popular? He looks pretty cool, but I don't remember him exactly making waves. Not big on Pokemon
Not really. All three of the Hoenn starters were popular, arguably being the most popular starters aside from Gen 1, but Blaziken's popularity ran circles around Swampert and Sceptile. Nintendo gave an honest attempt to make Sceptile a big thing by making it one of Ash's Pokemon but it never really stuck. Swampert, on the other hand, has never really been that popular either except outside of competitive circles where its been a staple since Gen III so, technically speaking, Sceptile's the least popular of the three.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I'm surprised you didn't take the shorter route of "Japan-popular sword-wielding character in an even-numbered game + Smash 4 = Takamaru"

Even though Samus isn't a robot, her suit and her abilities (morphing, multiple weapons from an arm-mounted cannon) would make her Mega Man's counterpart.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not really. All three of the Hoenn starters were popular, arguably being the most popular starters aside from Gen 1, but Blaziken's popularity ran circles around Swampert and Sceptile. Nintendo gave an honest attempt to make Sceptile a big thing by making it one of Ash's Pokemon but it never really stuck. Swampert, on the other hand, has never really been that popular either except outside of competitive circles where its been a staple since Gen III so, technically speaking, Sceptile's the least popular of the three.
The Anime is severely popular and well known. It's also heavily looked at by Sakurai. It's really closer to Blaziken > Sceptile > Swampert overall for terms of chances. And he's likely to ignore Blaziken due to Charizard, since keeping a Water/Grass/Fire Starter trio playable is a move he could easily do. If we get a Gen III starter, Sceptile literally the only decent choice he can give. We're covered on Fire and Water. Albeit, I don't expect a Gen III starter, but there's no point in repeating types, especially when a lot of what Blaziken does is quite similar to Captain Falcon, our resident fire-based kickboxer. Ganondorf more or less covers Falcon's style fine for similar playstyles.

I highly doubt he'll look at anyone but Ash's Pokemon here if anyone. Realistically, I don't think we're getting beyond 5 Pokemon and it'll be blatantly Jigglypuff with no questions asked. Whoever a possibly sixth one is, it's very hard to tell. If it's a Starter, it's likely to be Grass. If it's not one, Mewtwo has some good chances of a return.(of course, I don't believe it's guaranteed like Jigglypuff pretty much is)

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Brittany deconfirmed, Alph confirmed as playable. :D
I was just going to mention how funny it was that Brittany's trophy got a simple "she's not in the game", while Wonder Red's said "Fight" and had mention of other franchise representation for W101 in the form of trophies. Maaybe, just maybe, Wonder Red isn't disconfirmed.

Maybe.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I was just going to mention how funny it was that Brittany's trophy got a simple "she's not in the game", while Wonder Red's said "Fight" and had mention of other franchise representation for W101 in the form of trophies. Maaybe, just maybe, Wonder Red isn't disconfirmed.

Maybe.
I've been wondering all along why seeing a character's trophy is treated as an instant deconfirmation. After all, every playable character has not one, but two or three trophies each!

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Yeah, I doubt he's in, but the hormone-raging young teenage engineer in me wants to see all the correct pieces in place, with each starter type represented, even if I haven't played a Pokemon game since experimenting with Diamond/Pearl for about 2 hours :)
How did you even stop after touching Diamond and Pearl?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've been wondering all along why seeing a character's trophy is treated as an instant deconfirmation. After all, every playable character has not one, but two or three trophies each!
Well, one thing to note is that he never reveals a playable character(veteran or newcomer) with just a Trophy alone. He always has a Direct or a Banner up.

To note, now that it seems everyone is being shown at long Directs, even veterans, it's harder to assume that. For the record, I agree it's assuming a bit too much, but people do it anyway because there was no banner. Right or wrong. If Wonder Red turns out to be playable, which would be neat, we can leave the "take things at face value" idea out the door(where it belongs).

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
How did you even stop after touching Diamond and Pearl?
I played Red and Silver, but high school came along and Pokemon went

I got Pearl at a friend's request, and it was entertaining to get back into that world, but I didn't make it more than a few gyms in. I've never been an RPG guy anyway.

Twitch Plays Pokemon brought me this close to picking up Y to play with that same friend (who never dropped it), but adult budget problems suck. I don't have the time and I'd feel guilty for dropping 40 on it.

Saint Johns

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HyperSlash

I got Pearl at a friend's request, and it was entertaining to get back into that world, but I didn't make it more than a few gyms in. I've never been an RPG guy anyway.

Twitch Plays Pokemon brought me this close to picking up Y to play with that same friend (who never dropped it), but adult budget problems suck. I don't have the time and I'd feel guilty for dropping 40 on it.
I feel sorry for you:urg:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

Good thing I never lost myself to the horrors of High School.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion

Maybe.
I doubt Sakurai would use his exact model from W101 to this game. And he shouldn't show a character BEFORE a disconfirmation.
Don't count on it.
Oh wait grasp the straws thread never mind.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Or...

They removed Sheik's whip. They also put a lot of emphasis on Zero Suit Samus' kicks, as opposed to her plasma whip. They also showed a Wonderful 101 trophy, and they referenced the game indirectly a couple of times. Why? Well, Wonderful 101 is a recent Wii U game that has zany characters. Smash could use more recent IPs, zany characters, and females. An interesting female character that uses a whip from Wonderful 101 is Wonder Pink. Wonder Pink confirmed.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
While I was making my Paper Mario moveset, I found a=out a funny one for him.

His side tilt could be him using a tail sticker and sweep it. On a previous potd, Sakurai said that they are still figuring out if you could attack with the leaf powerup. If they are doubting it, than it can means only one thing:

PAPER MARIO CONFIRMED FOR SSB4!!! (and to use a tail sticker) :troll:

Morbi

Scavenger
Ganon is the most prominent and prevalent Legend of Zelda character behind Princess Zelda; the move-set potential that wasn't explored with Ganondorf could be explored with Ganon offering a very unique and popular character. He is one of Nintendo's missing essentials!

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Captain Rainbow: Fat Mac is a trophy. In Brawl, series with no playable characters got trophies only for their protagonists. (except Animal Crossing)
Fat Mac was never a protagonist, so the protagonist of the game he appeared in is playable.

Come on, Little Mac was teased with his stage before the Direct that revealed him. Rosalina was teased with her stage before the Direct that revealed her. There'll be a new Direct on April, and that's closest thing of a tease that we got. Of course Sakurai didn't show Mimin Island, that would be too spoilerific. Little Mac's stage could pass for a generic stage, and Rosalina's stage could pass for a Mario stage, but Mimin Island can only be Mimin Island. But Fat Mac's trophy could pass for a Punch Out trophy.

(Yes, I know my English sucks.)
Well, now we know that Wonder Red and some of his fellow Wonders will be regular trophies. So Captain Rainbow was de-insta-confirmed.

Sakurai brought Toon Link back. He even brought Sheik and Zero Suit Samus back, even though there are no more transformations. That means he doesn't want to cut characters. Wario, Ganondorf, Meta Knight, Lucas, Ness, Ice Climbers, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch and Jigglypuff confirmed. But Pokémon Trainer was cut, Charizard went solo and Greninja made a splash, leaving no room for Squirtle. That means he may cut characters in order to add new characters of the respective franchises. Grass-type starter confirmed. Ike and/or Chrom confirmed.

Top Bottom