• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Straight from Sakurai's Mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaximoSmasher

Smash Apprentice
It's not about the fact that it's not like Melee, just that it's not as deep as Melee. I'm willing to give it time, I'm trying to reserve judgement. What DOES bug me though, is all the casuals coming and saying how great it is that Brawl isn't competitive.
Melee was deep in the way it was because the fans made it that way. I'm sure they had no idea what would happen with melee, and well...They probably tried to stay true to original vision.

It is. It always will be. Why join a competitive forum, if you're not a competitive gamer? (No, I'm not judging YOU MaximoSmasher, you never said anything like this. I do see people saying that kind of thing, though.) It just makes me angry. They look so selfish saying: "I love Sakurai for making Brawl less competitive." I've actually seen someone say that before.
It is selfish to say that. Personally I hope people will enjoy it as competitive ( personally I think competitive is in the eye of the beholder ), but i won't pee my pants over it.

I'm don't consider myself casual or competitive and I don't think people should drive such a line between the two...Still Brawl has a decent storymode for a FIGHTING GAME, ALOT of music, but ALOT of composers, wifi, 4 player, alot of characters, trophies full of fun information, and generally a bump up in more things to do than Melee did. Competitive or not, alot of heart soul and history went into this game and to disrespect all that...well I'm not sure I'd even call you a "gamer".

People don't have to like brawl, but please try to show some respect.

PS. I'm reading up on the title "SMASHBOARDS The Largest SmashBros. Communty" I didn't see anything about it being the COMPETITIVE community.

Casual/Competitive, whatever you are, chill out on seperating yourself so HARD.

xl Lan lx

Smash Apprentice
I actually think Brawl CAN and IS competitive. Just because you can't SHFFL or L-cancel and Wavedash all over the place doesn't get rid of its competition. Just learn the new AT and, if this isn't considered an AT yet, learn to jump on your opponents head while they're trying to recover to shorten their recovery distance. Hey, it's something.

And I've never understand how only advanced techniques make the game competitive. My friend and I always fought in Melee without them and were always neck-and-neck while fighting.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
It's not about the fact that it's not like Melee, just that it's not as deep as Melee. I'm willing to give it time, I'm trying to reserve judgement. What DOES bug me though, is all the casuals coming and saying how great it is that Brawl isn't competitive. It is. It always will be. Why join a competitive forum, if you're not a competitive gamer? (No, I'm not judging YOU MaximoSmasher, you never said anything like this. I do see people saying that kind of thing, though.) It just makes me angry. They look so selfish saying: "I love Sakurai for making Brawl less competitive." I've actually seen someone say that before.
That sounds horrendously redundant.

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
Like someone mentioned when he said "advance" he probably just meant things for casual play such as smash balls, dragoon etc. Or maybe he thinks characters randomly tripping adds some kinda of depth.

Hell If I was him I would've done it too so people didn't take somthing i made for FUN so god**** seriously.
People have fun in different ways.

6footninja

Smash Ace
Making such a crappy game, whatever he says in invalid.
au contraire. People with half a brain wouldn't take into account what you say, simply because of your need to insult the game ilogically. Yes it is a matter of opinion at core, but keep it somewhat smart. No need to defamate. But really, keep me from getting off topic again. ;)

Miharu

Smash Hero
Sure except most of you are ungrateful ***** who put importance on all the wrong things. So your criticsm is worthless.
Oh, god these forums produce priceless quotes day in and day out.

Pretty amusing how your whole premise is completely subjective, and from an opposing point of view, the same argument can be taken and used against you with no problem whatsoever.

Excellent; now to put it to the test.

You're an ungrateful **** that places importance on the "wrong things"; therefore, your criticisms are worthless.

I believe that it turned rather well, don't you think?

I'm sure there are alot of reasons, some of which we have no idea...you got dealt your cards, now play or don't. But don't get mad at Sakurai for making a GOOD game.
Completely subjective.

You don't need justification to do what you want with your own product. If your so upset make your own game...Or maybe in the future, don't turn a game into a new game, and get crazy mentally upset when the sequel is nothing like you warped it into.
Are you ********? I'm not a game designer/developer, I'm a consumer, i.e. someone who buys things. If your product is a piece of ****, then nobody's going to buy it. See a problem there? Consumers have something called buying power. The opinions of consumers do matter, and if enough people share the same mindset (hypothetically), then yes, they will have to address are opinions.

Ah, and here come the accusations. I'm crazy mentally upset because Brawl wasn't the game that I envisioned it to be? Give me a break, rofl, where do you pull this **** from?

Melee was deep in the way it was because the fans made it that way. I'm sure they had no idea what would happen with melee, and well...They probably tried to stay true to original vision.
Yes, try to make Pong competitive. You're going to fail. You're right in the sense that the community has to contribute, but if the game is inherently shallow, then no matter how much the community does, it'll stay that way.

Of course it's still far too early to say anything about Brawl; if you'll notice, I've made no comments about how it is definitely unsuitable for competitive play. It may be how it seems at this moment, but we'll see what happens 1 year down the line.

I'm don't consider myself casual or competitive and I don't think people should drive such a line between the two...Still Brawl has a decent storymode for a FIGHTING GAME, ALOT of music, but ALOT of composers, wifi, 4 player, alot of characters, trophies full of fun information, and generally a bump up in more things to do than Melee did. Competitive or not, alot of heart soul and history went into this game and to disrespect all that...well I'm not sure I'd even call you a "gamer".

Pretty sure Brawl was intended to be a party game, and not a fighting game. Having legitimate complaints about a game doesn't equate to showing "disrespect; and I'm sure that most people who raise questions are genuinely worried about how uncompetitive Brawl SEEMS at this point.

PS. I'm reading up on the title "SMASHBOARDS The Largest SmashBros. Communty" I didn't see anything about it being the COMPETITIVE community.

Insisting on conformity isn't really going to get you anywhere. Being such an authoritarian prick on the forums and actually expecting the majority of posters to actually take it to heart is asking for far too much.

It'd help if you didn't come off as such an elitist snob by projecting/forcing your views and opinions on others, all the while degrading those who disagree even in the slightest.

EDIT - regarding the respect issue, you're honestly taking the opinions/statements of a select few, and using them as an excuse to rail on the rest of the community who don't necessarily agree with the aforementioned extremist viewpoints.

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace

It is selfish to say that. Personally I hope people will enjoy it as competitive ( personally I think competitive is in the eye of the beholder ), but i won't pee my pants over it.

so so true. To me it really comes down to the whole respect issue.

Takuyo90

Smash Apprentice
He directed Melee too, so I think we should take what he has to say into consideration ;)
I do wonder what he's referring to when he said more advance.
my god man!

it truly is more advanced. though it is slower than melee there is a lot better sheilding system, you can attack emidietly out of a shield, you can dodge more than once in mid air, you can attack right out of a doage,you can grab items while in mid air and attacking, you can move and jump while shooting, and a whole lota stuff. just because somthing is faster doesnt mean its more advanced.

ive seen alot of stupid people run fast. :psycho:

So, when he says "more advanced" is he simply speaking from a developers perspective? Because judging by the games mechanics the depth doesn't have a strong presence. Even though it's early in the games life span, things from SSB64 existed in Melee, which fueled the competitive scene along with the other plethora of techniques. Brawls mechanics have been completely changed to the point where it voids any in game irregularities (thus far) with stricter mechanics.

It's hard to tell at this point, but lets hope that our community can benefit in the future.

MaximoSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Pretty amusing how your whole premise is completely subjective, and from an opposing point of view, the same argument can be taken and used against you with no problem whatsoever.
The fact that Brawl is a GOOD game, and Sakurai is not an idiot is not subjective. How DEEP it is is subjective, I'm not argueing that...I'm argueing that alot of effort, art, music, and time went into this game have some respect. An orange does not lack quality just because YOU do not like oranges.

I believe that it turned rather well, don't you think?
Your putting importance on things that weren't meant to be there in the first place in the games SEQUEL, if you like Melee, thats fine but don't expect Brawl to be the same thing.

Completely subjective.

Are you ********? I'm not a game designer/developer, I'm a consumer, i.e. someone who buys things. If your product is a piece of ****, then nobody's going to buy it. See a problem there? Consumers have something called buying power. The opinions of consumers do matter, and if enough people share the same mindset (hypothetically), then yes, they will have to address are opinions.
You're a consumer, which means somehow you managed to get 50$, I'm not impressed. And if brawl is so bad, then how come nobody is buying brawl? You're not in the majority, your just a punk kid with 50$.

Ah, and here come the accusations. I'm crazy mentally upset because Brawl wasn't the game that I envisioned it to be? Give me a break, rofl, where do you pull this **** from?
Yes you are crazy. Thats exactly what I'm saying. If you got a vision, you go make a game. Until then, don't badmouth a product that clearly has more in it than you deserve.

Yes, try to make Pong competitive. You're going to fail. You're right in the sense that the community has to contribute, but if the game is inherently shallow, then no matter how much the community does, it'll stay that way.
You don't need a ******* community of a bunch of 13 yearolds to make a game competitive, there ARE pong compititions. Shallow, Depths, none of that has to do with competition. Hell there's a Paper, Rock, Scissors tournament...Oh but BAWWWWWWL there's no deeeppttthh!

Of course it's still far too early to say anything about Brawl; if you'll notice, I've made no comments about how it is definitely unsuitable for competitive play. It may be how it seems at this moment, but we'll see what happens 1 year down the line.
I don't care if you think its competitive or not. I just don't think brawl is a BAD GAME, and I do not agree with anyone who calls Sakurai and his team, or Nintendo, idiots.

Pretty sure Brawl was intended to be a party game, and not a fighting game. Having legitimate complaints about a game doesn't equate to showing "disrespect; and I'm sure that most people who raise questions are genuinely worried about how uncompetitive Brawl SEEMS at this point.
Pretty sure, Brawl was not meant to be labelled as a "party game" or a "fighting game" its kind of a blend of the two. You can complain about the game, again that does not make the game shallow, or bad by fact....So stop stating it AS fact.

Insisting on conformity isn't really going to get you anywhere. Being such an authoritarian prick on the forums and actually expecting the majority of posters to actually take it to heart is asking for far too much.
Too many whiny kids and elitst punks walking around....Take a look at your own forums sometime.

It'd help if you didn't come off as such an elitist snob by projecting/forcing your views and opinions on others, all the while degrading those who disagree even in the slightest.
If you call Sakurai an idiot or getting mad at me for defending the guy, I will verbally crush you. Deal with it, you big baby.

EDIT - regarding the respect issue, you're honestly taking the opinions/statements of a select few, and using them as an excuse to rail on the rest of the community who don't necessarily agree with the aforementioned extremist viewpoints.
[/quote]

Then why are you piping up? If I'm not talking about you? Respect and being Grateful are my ONLY issues here. I didn't say you had to like the game, understand it or play it.

I like how having respect for someone who works hard, and appreciating somthing I didn't deserve makes me an EXTREMIST.

Man "Advanced" can mean alot of things, you guys read WAY too much into what he says then you get pissed at him for it.

DSM01

Smash Apprentice
I agree with what Sakurai says, which is that Brawl is not Melee. Many of us want Brawl to be Melee, and we're having trouble coping with the fact that it isn't. We say, "Oh this isn't right, that's not right, this game sucks." People need to look at Brawl with a fresh mind. Try looking at Brawl from the perspective of one who hasn't played Melee. They wouldn't find anything wrong or out of place, but they would find Brawl fun and intriguing. This is what Sakurai is trying to tell us. We need to accept and embrace the new style and feel of Brawl, and only then can we really appreciate and enjoy Brawl for what it really is.

Geist

Smash Master
Is it really safe to assume that Sakurai knew truly how advanced melee was in the first place? Just a thought.

I'm not saying brawl won't eventually be technical, it may be even more so than melee, you never know. But seriously, if it is, it wont be how the creator intended it to be. No game is glitch proof, melee being one of the best examples. Sakurai didn't intend melee to be so complex.

It is a nice thought though, that Sakurai intends brawl to be more complex than melee. I personally hope it turns out that way.

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
Anyone thinking otherwise is an ignorant child. Anyone thinking this game has intentional depth is an ignorant child. Anyone who thinks down upon competitive players speaking the truth is an ignorant child. People who take Sakurai's word for fact are ignorant children.
your hyperbole is absolutely huge
i mean it is humongous
on a scale from 1 to 10 i would rate it about a 9

i mean you really blow it out of proportion
1. ignorant
2. child
hehe not very nice

Koga

Smash Journeyman
This whole debate is hyperbole on their side anyways, i don't realize why the rest of the community hasn't figured it out and stopped feeding the anti-brawl trolls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom