• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Straight from Sakurai's Mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
From the Iwata Asks interview:

Masahiro Sakurai said:
I don’t know if I can accurately express my feeling but, I mean, Smash Bros. has received high marks from all over for the fighting pleasure it provides and I felt that merely refining what was already there was too simple and would preclude changes. Don’t get me wrong though, the fighting is more advanced than before.
Straight from his mouth, the fighting is more advanced than before, I think he's hinting that there's more than we think there is, or maybe something is hidden.

But i believe the creator when he says the fighting is more advanced than melee.

but ofcourse, you guys are right and i misread something or i have the wrong perspective

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Uggh, too many haters

I didn't even get to play it yet because I'm waiting for my friend to play it with me, and this trash talk is just stupid

Civic, if you hate it then go away.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
It's true, I've been hating a bit, but I just need to blow off some steam really... There's nowhere else to place my frustrations...

but it's true... we shall see what the future brings.

Douten

Smash Rookie
Making such a crappy game, whatever he says in invalid.
He directed Melee too, so I think we should take what he has to say into consideration ;)
I do wonder what he's referring to when he said more advance.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I don't think there are many "haters" of Brawl. Believe me, the only reason they don't like it is because they wanted SO BADLY for the game to be good. When it failed to meet expectations, they get frustrated. I don't think that makes them haters.

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
This is a brawl forum isnt it?

Anyways, at that fighting is more advanced part he probably meant the bigger amount of characters. Final Smashes, stages, wifi and stuff like that. I highly doubt he would explict point out to discover techniques as wavedash or anything we've been used to at melee.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
You idiots. Why on Earth would he say "Yea the fighting is good but not as advanced as Melee"?

Prove to me from a marketing stand point that he would utter those words, in one sentence, in that order.

"oh my gosh, Sakurai said the fighting is more advanced, so it must be true."

Some people these days...

Good thing you weren't born under Hitler's rule children, or else you would swayed by his maniac ideas in seconds.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
He directed Melee too, so I think we should take what he has to say into consideration ;)
I do wonder what he's referring to when he said more advance.
I thought Sakurai didn't really work closely with Melee at all :/

Idk, I may just have heard that somewhere.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Good thing you weren't born under Hitler's rule children, or else you would swayed by his maniac ideas in seconds.
Holy hell, you did not just pull Godwin's Law in a Brawl discussion did you? Wow. Just wow

Quoted for the posterity of stupidity..

kr3wman

Smash Master
You idiots. Why on Earth would he say "Yea the fighting is good but not as advanced as Melee"?

Prove to me from a marketing stand point that he would utter those words, in one sentence, in that order.

You know, that analogy would only have worked if it was God, because, you know, you listen to the guy actually makes things work, not some guy who wants to to kill `inferior` races.:ohwell:

Flow Wolf

Smash Apprentice

So much drama!

thetoastinator

Smash Apprentice
Piss off haters of Brawl.

Go cut yourself for being too overhyped or expecting too much from this game.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sakurai is the speaker of truths now? "The fighting is more advanced than before"? If he says so, then it's true? And what kind of "advanced" is it, anyway? It can be more advanced in all kinds of ways without actually being deeper. The programming can be more sophisticated, yet the end product can still be inferior.

This from the man who implemented Tripping? Sakurai can say whatever he wants. The game won't change just because he says something.

You know what else Sakurai's said? He told us to jump into the air when Luigi unleashes the Negative Zone (his Final Smash)(he doesn't say "Jump to avoid it!", he specifically says that jumping is the best way to "take" a hit from it). Despite the fact that you can be dizzied! If you're in the air when you get hit by the Negative Zone, chances are, you'll get dizzied.

What happens when you get dizzied? You slowly fall downwards... without any chance of canceling. So either you drop down to the ground with Luigi ready to Forward Smash you to death or, if you've got no ground below you, you fall down to your death. Good advice, Sakurai. I can tell you've got a Competitive mindset.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
If brawl was less advance, he wouldnt of even compared the advance-ness between brawl and melee..

******* brawl haters.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
dang, the you guys don't even believe the game's creator. That is sad. you'll make up excuses for everything.

If nothing else this purely proves that Sakurai DID NOT intend Dumb down the game.

I encourage you to go read the entire interview, this paragraph is taken from a section where he addresses the difficulty of pleasing both the casuals and the "core"gamers who go to tournaments.

kevc

Smash Cadet
lol @ the ppl who are insecure that ppl have their own opinions and hate on the game and tell me how Sakurai is probably in his mansion laughin at how this average game is rakin in the cash off nintendo fanboys

it also seems like this was meant to appeal more to younger gamers, probably to set up the next generation to producing more nintendo fanboys like yourselves who will be tricked into buying a average below par game

Aesir

Smash Master
Agrees with yuna...>_> this game is far from advanced.

Just look at the recovery game, seriously getting back to the stage is a joke. in melee there was a huge level of "oh **** I'm kind of ****ed right now"

In brawl it's like "Whatever Up - B" don't say it isn't because thats exactly what it is.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
When did he say that? Cuz we know everything now, it doesn't matter what he thinks about the game, its what we think.
Anyone thinking otherwise is an ignorant child. Anyone thinking this game has intentional depth is an ignorant child. Anyone who thinks down upon competitive players speaking the truth is an ignorant child. People who take Sakurai's word for fact are ignorant children.

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
Anyone thinking otherwise is an ignorant child. Anyone thinking this game has intentional depth is an ignorant child. Anyone who thinks down upon competitive players speaking the truth is an ignorant child. People who take Sakurai's word for fact are ignorant children.
qft am i right?

garbage

Smash Journeyman
Lol, you're ****in' stupid.

"GUYS! THIS ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF WHAT SAKURAI KIND OF PROBABLY SAID IS SECRET CODE FOR BRAWL IS MORE COMPLEX THAN MELEE! I KNEW IT!"

So what does that make you?

Seriously, I wan to know. You obviously think you're better than everyone else, that you can just write people off so easily. Of course it has intentional depth. If they didn't want something in the game, like WD, they would've took it out, like WD. I don't think down on tourneyfolk, just the stupid ones who act as though they know everything, when they're actually just stupid n00bs.

How long has the game been out? 2 days? A month in Japan? You're saying that, in that time, you should know every little nuance of a potentially deep fighting game? Are you kidding? How long was it until WD was invented? In like, 2005, right? And wasn't it invented by mistake anyways? AND, wasn't it not used in competitive play until a few months after conception?

But I digress, this isn't about WD, now is it? It's about the impatience of you and others like you who, instead of trying to contribute to the solution of finding new techniques, instead do nothing except for sitting here on SWF's Brawl Discussion, whining and moaning about how your game isn't advanced or technical enough.

If you're not going to be of any help, if you're not even going to try to do anything, if you want to just stick with Melee, then fine, more power to you. But if you do all that and have the audacity to come here to b*tch about the game, that you don't know anything about, then it is you who are the ignorant child. I apologize, and this is not personal or anything, but I'm seriously sick of people who write folks like me as ignorant while putting themselves on some kind of upper platform without even giving the game a fair chance.

Okay, NOW I'm going to Tactical

*leaves*

Spellman

Smash Ace
I think it's more advanced in the sense that there's different objectives and ways to obtain the final goal which is the K.O. Getting the Smash Ball is one way, and collecting the Dragoon parts are another. And of course all of the other classic ways.

I've done a fair bit of Brawling and it seems like they appear rather frequently. I was kind of irritated by it at first, it's almost as if they have a higher priority of spawning than other items, or maybe it's just in my head.

I'm impressed with the character balance so far. Even though they nerfed some of my favorite characters best moves, I feel it was somehow right, and I don't feel like such a ******* for spamming moves anymore, because that just doesn't seem to work anyways.

I don't think it could be any more advanced in the traditional sense like Melee (more techniques?), but I find myself doing different things to win now so I'm satisfied.

In terms of tripping, I'm indifferent. It doesn't happen frequently enough for me to care, and even when it does, it's usually only for a second and my opponent doesn't see it coming so they don't tend to take advantage of it. I can imagine it happening at a critical time sometime in my life, for good or for bad, but I'm not the kind of person who would take it hard. However, tripping did not have to be there and it was a really weird decision to make. I'm still gathering my thoughts on whether tripping is good or bad.

Generally things that are completely out of your control are bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom