• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Story of my Life

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Link to original post: [drupal=5472]Story of my Life[/drupal]

Hey there. My name is Sean, aka Wretched. I don't know what has possessed me to make a big block of text like this, but I feel like I need to tell someone to consolidate how I feel about all of this. I really don't have anyone close to me who I can talk to, so I guess this is second best? Some of the things I'm going to say I have never told anyone and are really personal, but I need to get this off of my chest.

If you've ever wondered why I'm called Wretched, there are a multitude of reasons. First off, one of my favorite bands is Wretched. That is a coincidence, because they called me Wretched before I discovered them. The word Wretched has also appeared a lot in other media that I could relate to. Poems, songs, song titles, books, etc. I think the best reason is that I look really ****ing sad constantly. I do wear glasses, but when I'm not wearing them and I have a neutral face, I look miserable. It is just the way I am. My eyes are sunken in, I have long hair that is always in my face, and I naturally have a frown. I don't look natural smiling. Even when I truly feel happy, I look weird smiling or laughing. I don't care, though. I think that when I take care of myself and I have long hair, I am pretty attractive.

So, I guess I'm going to tell you the story of my life and how one self-discovered flaw has dictated the control that I have had over my life. I was born in Texas to a loving mother and father. A few months after that, we moved to Virginia, and that is where I spent my life until I was 11~. In this time period, I was loved and encouraged. I really had no issues at all, and such a nourishing environment allowed me to be a confident and intelligent young man. I was homeschooled up until this time, but I wouldn't consider it schooling at all. I learned nothing and I did almost no work, and surprisingly, I was still very smart for my age. While I was happy and smart and confident, my parents had been setting me up to crash, you will find. During that time period, they smoked a bunch. I was aware of it, but I never put too much thought into it.

I guess where my life started to go wrong was when my parents separated. It wasn't a normal separation by any means. They had always been so happy together and then all of the sudden they were thrust apart. I had NO idea how to deal with it emotionally, so I didn't. I put it away somewhere in my subconscious. It was the easiest thing to do after not knowing how to deal with emotional pain. I had never been challenged in any way. I always got what I wanted and I did whatever I wanted, so when something big like this happened, I had no coping mechanisms except maybe suppression. My Mother abruptly took my from my financially stable home and drove me to Missouri. We moved into this piece of **** shanty house filled with thousands of spiders. It was horrible.

I started school for the first time and had no idea how to act around people my age. I was used to making adults laugh and having conversations with rational adults. I had no idea how to converse with kids because my vocabulary was almost the same as it is now. In order to deal with this, I never took anything seriously. Nothing ever had substance and I never applied myself to anything, and this continued throughout the rest of my life. My first teacher gave me 2 c's and a b. She was a fat piece of **** who had no idea how to teach. She expected me to come into the school system and be able to understand things that I hadn't learned. I was and am still good at learning, but she just tested me on procedures that they had gone over earlier in the year. She also saw that I wasn't very serious or social, so she assumed I was dumb and gave me those grades based on that.

During that summer, something great happened. We moved back and my parents got back together. Everything was back to normal and I was coming out of my shell again. That is until the events repeated themselves. We abruptly moved back to Missouri again. I hurt but I still had no idea how to deal with it, so I suppressed it more and just didn't care. I became so emotionless. School didn't get any better. I had long, beautiful, flowing hair and I went into the 8th grade in very small rural school, so I was rejected. I didn't really have any friends but I didn't care. The education itself went better. I got all A's and my teachers understood that I was a very capable individual. I also developed some really good friendships with the teachers. With that said, I gave no effort whatsoever, and this developed the fatal flaw that I mentioned whatsoever. The public school system told me "even when you don't try, you still get the best results possible, so don't try" I never applied myself to anything ever again, and all of my decisions were made instantly. I assumed that all of the choices I made would always be the right choice because I had some sort of... natural reason in side of me.

I turned to the internet and that became the ONLY thing I did. It was me. I sat on the internet and just wasted time. This further hurt my social capabilities because my communication skills soared in technology and fell in face to face interaction. Girls initially fell in love with me because of my shyness and my hair, but when they saw who I really was, they completely lost interest. I had many relationships but they all dumped me as soon as they figured out that I was just... sad. I was sad in all senses of the word. This has how it was throughout high school.

We moved before I finished a year of school, and I left whatever friends I had behind without a thought. I didn't apply any emotions to the situation because that was the easiest way to handle things. Just to forget the progress that I started making... It was unhealthy, but I had no idea I was doing it. This new school brought the same issues, only with closer friends. It seemed like there were people at this new school who understood me, but my social deftness led to me hurting a lot of people emotionally, and this just pushed me deeper into the darkness.

We moved AGAIN before that school year was up. At this point, there was no emotion. I just sat in front of the TV without a thought and just let life drift me by. I didn't know what to do because I didn't really feel any particular way about anything. I was impartial. I didn't care about food, people, girls... nothing. I didn't care. It was like I wasn't even a whole person. I wasn't even there.

We moved AGAIN before that school year was up... AGAIN. The damage was done, so it isn't like much more could've happened to me. I was just an empty palette. I had been through so much in my life and I had never taken a second to look back and think about how I felt about it. I was getting more mature throughout this time, but after we moved, I sort of had a revelation. I looked back and saw the emptiness, so I became anguished. I finally started to see that I had been gone. I didn't really have a personality. We moved back to Virginia and it brought back all of the painful emotions that I had never dealt with. I got a bad haircut for the first time and had to shave my head. At this new school, I had NO girlfriends. I was horrendously depressed. I didn't take care of myself at all. I didn't shower, I didn't put on deodorant. I didn't do anything. After my head was shaved, the best thing about me was gone. I look terrible with short hair, and as my short hair grows out, it turns into a white person afro. With no hair, my acne became a lot more obvious and abundant.

Before, I had no trouble initially talking to people, its just that I wouldn't develop relationships. At this point, nobody would talk to me. It was such a shock because I didn't realize what the depression had done to me. I started to feel something, but I'd rather feel nothing as opposed to sadness. I spent more time in Virginia like this, moving around more and more, sort of sad and drifting.

My real life started when I left the care of my POS mother (I probably should mention that later). I moved in with my Grandparents and I was ultimately starting to become a real person. Leaving all of that pain behind once again, I sorta started anew. I was happy with them. School was going well and I was becoming much more social. I actually spent time with people outside of school and I grew my hair back out. It wasn't a huge difference, but it was progress.

Then my Grandma abruptly died of cancer on Chrismas Eve.

I still had no idea how to cope with this sort of trauma. My Grandpa cried on my shoulder and all I could do was stare blankly. I loved her and missed her every day, but I had no idea how to feel grief. I knew the flaws of my ways and tried to feel. I tried to deal. This was a horrible idea because it led to some horrible choices. The reason I started spending time with friends outside of school was because I found someone I sort of related to. I wanted us to be great friends, but he pushed me away. After the death of my Grandma, he introduced me to alcohol.

It was a terrible combination of live events and influences. My parents had drank and smoked all of my life so I thought it was okay, and I had always been this constant, dead person. I started to get wasted every night. Even by myself. I smoked a ton in and around my house, much to the disrespect of my loving Grandpa.

Then I found pills. I started to abuse pills heavily. They made me feel so good. It was like I was alive again, but when I came down, I started to feel emotions for the first time. It is like the death of my Grandma in combination with the substance abuse that had awoken my emotions, and now my only coping mechanism was drugs. I was impulsive as I mentioned earlier, so I could always rationalize getting another bottle and some more pills. I must've approached death 20 or 30 times from alcohol and pill combination abuse.

This was about the time that I got demodded >.>

Then came K2. K2 is a synthetic cannabinoid that provides a 30-40 minute high. It was highly addictive and destructive in my hands, as it was like the perfect substance to cope with this pain. That became the definition of my existence, and I just wanted to smoke all day. I wanted to just not exist because of all of the pain that I had been ignoring for all of that time that was just surfacing. I did whatever I could to get money. I spent all of my graduation money, I spent any penny my Grandpa gave me, and eventually I started to donate plasma to fund the addiction. It is hard for me to admit this, but I also stole a bike when it got really bad.

All this while, everything went back to my impulsivity. I always could justify getting another bag and I could always justify throwing away money on the spot to just get some more. Impulsivity has always been the detriment of my existence. When someone asks me a question, my response was almost always the first thing that popped into my head. I sucked so bad at melee because I never learned from my mistakes because I always played like a robot who instinctually did the first thing that popped into his head.

I don't know what possessed me to do it, but I needed to leave that place. There is no K2 here in California, and it can't really hurt me here, but it hurt me there. It made me really unhealthy. I got really skinny, and the stuff itself was just shutting down my body. It was bad. I came to California to work for my dad, specifically, but moving in with him has sobered me, and now I feel like I'm really alive for the first time. Without a substance to run away from emotions, I finally faced them. I've been in severe pain ever since and I've just been in an angry and sad depression. When I think about anything in my past, everything hurts, but I'm trying to be optimistic.

So, sorry if this wasn't structured all that well. I don't really remember my past too much because I've just been ignoring life for so long. There are a few things that are also eating at me that I should mention as well. My mother, throughout this time, changed. She became a person I didn't like, and I became a person she didn't like. She treated me like **** and had no empathy for me. The places we lived were terrible and she put us in a lot of bad living situations for no reason. It was her bad decisions that ultimately constructed a mess like me. My Dad was crushed after the divorce, and he went straight to hardcore drugs. His life went from owning his own business and making $100 an hour, having 5 loving kids, and having a happy wife, to being alone, working for $10 an hour, living with his parents again (at the age of 50), and being impulsive just like me.

What now? What the **** do I do? I don't have anyone. Nobody from my past has wanted much to do with me. My dad is depressed and that is rubbing off on me. I'm living in a house with him, his sister (an insanely overweight, greedy piece of ****), and his parents (My grandparents who I had never spoken to before I moved here). My Grandpa has cancer and my Grandma has a multitude of health problems that mean she is probably going to die within the year along with him.

Now, I guess I'm just going to run away again. I joined the Navy and I ship in 2 months. I suppose I will start life again and try to actually be a normal person who actually applies himself to life and deals with things like this, but I am really just tired. I've been craving an escape but I've been able to fight it thus far. Now what?

Slim_X

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4425-1928-1952
It hurt me to read this, well the answer to "now what?" is go to the navy. You applied right? If yiu get into a relationship/friendshio that makes you feel good, be careful. Once you are shipped you will fall more and more depressed. Stay off of drugs, it is OK to drink but do not begin an addiction. I smoked weed a couple months ago and I fell in love with if. The Euphoria made me feel like I mean something, like I serve a purpose in life. Drugs won't help you, once you are in the game you are locked in forever. You DO mean something, you DO serve a purpose in life. I taught myself not to get addicted, to tell myself that I just because I want it, doesn't mean I need it. We all deal with **** in our lives, some are ****ing lucky some have it worse. Everything that has happened to each and every one of us, I promise you it will get better/payoff in the future. I hope you get your life back on course again.
RoEmaN-

:phone:

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Yeah. I guess that is what I can look forward to. I told myself I would avoid drinking, and I don't think I will do anymore drugs by choice.

Thanks, though. I mean, as I was writing this, I was really starting to understand how I feel about everything. Seeing it from another perspective makes me a lot more optimistic.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I can only sympathize with you on a few points but get better, man. Internet probably isn't a priority at this point but you should change your username sometime, cuz you ain't wretched.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
rofl

I will always be Wretched. It's too embedded in the way everyone knows me, but I don't necessarily think that I will carry the connotations with it. Usually people first question why my name is a negative adjective, but when you meet me, it makes sense and it sorta draws new meaning.

There are times where seeking help can allow us to cope and move on,
but there are times where you have to find the answers yourself.

Sure you can run away, but is that what you really want? You'll need to first find out what you want to do and accomplish. Whatever you decide, may not be easy, but of course life being easy would be a waste. If you really want to run away and get your life together, then do it. Just know the moment you decide TO run away, that there will be no major regrets.

Whatever you decide, think about all the complications that go with it. If it requires hard work and effort, then put it in. Never underestimate what you can do.

If you happen to be writing this blog for some release, then ignore what I just said. I wish you the best regardless man.

And for some reason I didn't see the beginning paragraph.
Well damn.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
alcohol is a drug. it's stupid to be like "yeah i'm done with drugs. i'll drink though.". it's more dangerous and life-ruining than many illegal drugs.

I have more to say but no time now.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I think it is destructive too, but undeniably it is a part of our culture, and if friends are drinking socially, I will. That's all.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
You're depressing and nobody likes it when you go into every thread and have something bad to say about anything you can find

You could've spent some energy giving me some useful advice instead of saying that is is depressing that I can rationalize the use of alcohol.

I mean, the only thing you had to say when I made that thread about my Grandma was negative. Why don't you go tickle a **** with that *** freezer that you call a mustache.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Reading this broke my heart. I always feel sad whenever I hear how tragic a person's past has been. I just want to give you a big hug now. That said, I'm glad you joined the Navy. I promise you it will make your life better. You'll make friends via comrades, you'll meet a nice girl, you'll have plenty of benefits (including health), and you'll have a good steady income. Just please be safe out there. My best wishes are with you.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
this is a very sad story... no one deserves a life like this.

there were times when I also felt sadness and pain, but it's nothing compared to what is described in this post.

all I can say is... if you're going to the Navy, make it an opportunity to meet other people and new friends. it's never too late in life to fight for a better future. if you truly want a better future, do your best in finding the right path.

in any moments you feel more sad and negative, try to remember the more positive moments of your life, because those are the ones that count... because those moments are the ones worth living for.

that said... I wish you good luck!

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Thanks. I think the Navy is exactly what I need. I just need a fresh start and a structured environment. I didn't even think about the social aspect of it, but I definitely look forward to making a lot of friends for the first time.

I suppose you could say that decision to join might've been me repeating history. I mean, I'm never going to stay in one place for too long in the Navy.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
You're depressing and nobody likes it when you go into every thread and have something bad to say about anything you can find

You could've spent some energy giving me some useful advice instead of saying that is is depressing that I can rationalize the use of alcohol.

I mean, the only thing you had to say when I made that thread about my Grandma was negative. Why don't you go tickle a **** with that *** freezer that you call a mustache.
That is depressing.

Don't lash out so absurdly at Luigi who did very little. Besides, did he not say he was going to say more in his first post...?

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I really don't want to discuss this further because it is dumb, but 60 some percent of Americans drink. I'm not going to be that guy who says "I never touch a drop of alcohol because when I was 18, I drank a lot for a few months." I shouldn't have to say more because you could figure that out for yourself if you weren't being so pessimistic.

Also, WeegeeToilet has been being a complete chode during my entire experience on the boards. He is a pessimist hipster and I'm not going to wait until it escalates to tell him to go away.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Thanks. I think the Navy is exactly what I need. I just need a fresh start and a structured environment. I didn't even think about the social aspect of it, but I definitely look forward to making a lot of friends for the first time.

I suppose you could say that decision to join might've been me repeating history. I mean, I'm never going to stay in one place for too long in the Navy.
sometimes change is like a "reset button" in our life, you know what I mean, right?

life is made of good and bad experiences, so you must enjoy the good ones as much as you can and overcome the bad ones, because for every bad thing, there's a good one.

that's how I see things and what gives me strength to move forward.

I really don't want to discuss this further because it is dumb, but 60 some percent of Americans drink. I'm not going to be that guy who says "I never touch a drop of alcohol because when I was 18, I drank a lot for a few months." I shouldn't have to say more because you could figure that out for yourself if you weren't being so pessimistic.
60% of Americans drink, so what? is it really that bad that you are part of the 30%? I'm sorry to put it this way, but I think you should decide these kinds of things by yourself, on whether you want to do something or not... honestly, this is one aspect of society I never understood.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Yeah. Honestly I felt like a completely different person whenever I made a big transition. I definitely changed when I first left Virginia, when I left Virginia again, and when I moved in with my Grandparents. It was sorta like a reset button. I suppose this will be another reset button, too.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990

Also, WeegeeToilet has been being a complete chode during my entire experience on the boards. He is a pessimist hipster and I'm not going to wait until it escalates to tell him to go away.
I just think you're being a bit hypersensitive. Also, you're wish to not let him escalate the situation resulted in you escalating it. Your comments were very unnecessary, even if you feel the way you do. It is poor handling on your part.

And in Luigi's defense, he usually posts long and insightful posts on the User Blogs, and I'm sure he was going to give you one (potentially still is assuming you have not pushed him away).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah. Honestly I felt like a completely different person whenever I made a big transition. I definitely changed when I first left Virginia, when I left Virginia again, and when I moved in with my Grandparents. It was sorta like a reset button. I suppose this will be another reset button, too.
make this new chapter of your life worth it. try to enjoy every single day as most as you can and whenever you feel more negative, try to remember the times when your life was more stable, and use them as an inspiration to move forward.

well, I have nothing more to you... I wish best of luck to you and hope your life gets better.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I just think you're being a bit hypersensitive. Also, you're wish to not let him escalate the situation resulted in you escalating it. Your comments were very unnecessary, even if you feel the way you do. It is poor handling on your part.

And in Luigi's defense, he usually posts long and insightful posts on the User Blogs, and I'm sure he was going to give you one (potentially still is assuming you have not pushed him away).
I'm not being sensitive at all. I know the best way to deal with people like him and you can't let them push you around. Regardless, it was one sentence and the gist of it was "go away." It isn't like I posted a paragraph flaming him.

Also, his posts do usually have a lot of substance, but from past experience, I know that whatever he posts would more than likely be him nitpicking the OP and criticizing me. Regardless, I've really just been ignoring him ever since he gave me **** about that thread and I don't care what he has to say after that.

In your defense, on the exterior, I was being unreasonable. I mean, he isn't pessimistic or hipster in general, but he has always had bad things to say to and about me. I didn't expect anything else and told him to go away.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'm not being sensitive at all. I know the best way to deal with people like him and you can't let them push you around. Regardless, it was one sentence and the gist of it was "go away." It isn't like I posted a paragraph flaming him.
It's not about you posting a paragraph, that isn't what defines acting sensitively to it. You told him to "tickle a **** with that *** freezer that you call a mustache" when he said your justification for drinking was depressing. I'm sorry, but that is sensitive. I'm also going to have to disagree with the notion that that is the way you handle it, even if Luigi was pushing you around. You did the exact opposite of what someone would do if they were trying to diffuse a situation, that being your intention.

Also, his posts do usually have a lot of substance, but from past experience, I know that whatever he posts would more than likely be him nitpicking the OP and criticizing me. Regardless, I've really just been ignoring him ever since he gave me **** about that thread and I don't care what he has to say after that.
You didn't even try to give him a chance (and you assume he has nothing good to say) nor did you ignore him.

Anyways, I'm not trying to pick at you. Just expressing my thoughts on what I saw. Take it as me helping, I can't empathize with much that you said in your original post to speak on it with any wisdom.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Must have been cathartic to write it all up and get that out there.

Now, I guess I'm just going to run away again. I joined the Navy and I ship in 2 months. I suppose I will start life again and try to actually be a normal person who actually applies himself to life and deals with things like this, but I am really just tired. I've been craving an escape but I've been able to fight it thus far. Now what?
Maybe you can take some solace in the fact that, by the very act of thinking about this, and reflecting upon it, and acknowledging what's wrong, and identifying what has brought you to this point and what you don't like about it and what you'd like to change, you are ahead of 95% of people. Most people just aren't capable of that kind of introspection, stepping outside the box and looking in.

As far as advice goes, it's great that you've decided to join the Navy and that you're looking for a fresh start, but don't fall into the trap of thinking that everything's going to change just because your surroundings are different. What I mean is, even though the new surroundings and getting away from where you are now are vital, don't just stop there.

When I moved out for the first time, I realized there were a lot of things I wanted to change about myself. And I thought that just because I had this newfound independence and freedom, that just because my parents weren't looking over my shoulder all the time, I'd become this new person. Only I didn't. I was the same old person as before, and I kept expecting myself to magically change just because I had freedom and independence. It wasn't until I realized I had to push myself into changing, into doing things I was otherwise afraid to do, push myself into leaving my comfort zone to become the person I wanted to be. Took three years, but better late than never, I guess.

Similarly, leaving your current life will be great, but you'll only end up miserable in a new atmosphere if you don't maintain the resolve you have now, and if you don't actively make an effort to improve your life and yourself.

tl;dr I guess what I'm saying is, make sure you don't become passive by expecting your life/self to change all by itself. Work at it, and if you find yourself feeling hopeless from time to time, maybe reread the post you typed up every now and then to remind yourself why it's so important for you to not give up.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I'm by no means an advice guru (and honestly you shouldn't be looking to people on a smash forum for advice) but I have a suggestion that just...seems good. Consider it at least.

It seems like the problems you're trying to deal with are
-Learning to deal with your emotions and express them rather than just supress them and be a miserable person all the time
-Being a social person

Maybe you should get a dog? Just having another...sentient being in your life that you could become attached to (your dad is also mopey, you seem to hate your fat sister and it doesn't seem like you interact with your grandparents on your father's side at all) and invest your emotion in, it'd build up good habits (cleanliness, taking it for walks = exercise, if you train it you'd be practicing leadership, authority and confidence in a sense) and you'll have a basis for socializing if you
-walk it often
-Take it to a dog park
-Take it to obedience school
-(Much lesser extent) taking it to a vet

Obviously the idea is that you get it while not living with the rest of your family. idk how **** would work with them

It could also go completely wrong in that your house could become a furry ****ty smelly mess, neither you nor the dog gets exercise, the dog would become depressed and lonely as well and die young leaving you even more depressed etc etc.

It really depends on whether or not YOU think it would work out. Just a thought. I don't even know why I'm here lulwat I should be studying ****

Slim_X

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4425-1928-1952
Oh how I wish there was a "reset" button in life to get a fresh start... Has anyone here used drugs and under the age of 13? If so please stop I smoked when I was 12, still am 12. And the craving for more isbterrible but in my entire life the only time I did drugs was once, and I hope my last. Whenever you do something bad, don't be hard on yourself but recognize your wrongs and improve. Stay optimistic and proud. ;)

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
This is sad.

Im really glad that you pressed that reset button and decided to join the Navy. Maybe you'll find the love of your life who actually likes you for who you are, not by your looks. And also, you'll start a new life in the army, meet new people, make friends, start fresh.

But anyways Im no tip giver since I su*k at it. I really hope you can make it and enjoy the rest of your life.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Well sheesh, I guess I won't be making an effort-post for someone who hates me so much.

I'll just say this, that you obviously have an inclination for addiction, as you have been hooked on two different substances before (I'm guessing here) adulthood. Alcohol is way, way, WAYYYY more addictive than K2 is. Its acceptance in society is why it is extra dangerous for people with substance-abuse problems. I am speaking from my life experience here as I have been, at different points in my life addicted to painkillers, benzos, DXM and alcohol. Out of all that, the thing that made my life the absolute worst and had the biggest grip on me was alcohol, no question. It won't seem like a problem for a long time because it's such an accepted part of society, but society is entirely in the wrong here. I might be wrong, and it might never become a problem for you, but judging by the character you display in your OP it just seems like booze is going to be another notch in a line of addiction problems. You think it was easy to justify buying K2 every week? That is nothing compared to justifying all the heinous things that alcoholics do to themselves and others to keep their lifestyle going. The hoops I would jump through to rationalize waking up and drinking and going to school or to work, or drink a half a 1.75 in a sitting. I've destroyed dozens and dozens of friendships and relationships because of doing or saying things when I was drunk or zonked on benzos, and too often I would wake and find myself somewhere without a clue of where I'd been...and then just shrug it off with another drink. And knowing that this is how most of my family has died and not caring.

but oh yeah, 60% of the population drinks, so it's okay then.

anyways, I'm not even gonna bother going on trying to help with the rest of your problems because you've been a whiny little **** in response to me. so, uh, **** off and smoke some K2 and join the navy I guess.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Must have been cathartic to write it all up and get that out there.
Honestly, writing this entire thing was somewhat of a self discovery. I never faced my feelings before, so it is kinda nice to get it out there.

Maybe you can take some solace in the fact that, by the very act of thinking about this, and reflecting upon it, and acknowledging what's wrong, and identifying what has brought you to this point and what you don't like about it and what you'd like to change, you are ahead of 95% of people. Most people just aren't capable of that kind of introspection, stepping outside the box and looking in.
For sure. I am very privileged to be able to see what is wrong with me, because I do believe I can change or negate any damage that may have been done.

As far as advice goes, it's great that you've decided to join the Navy and that you're looking for a fresh start, but don't fall into the trap of thinking that everything's going to change just because your surroundings are different. What I mean is, even though the new surroundings and getting away from where you are now are vital, don't just stop there.
For sure, for sure. I will definitely apply myself to making things better. I've always made weak attempts at controlling what happened to me. I always opposed the moving around every 6 months, but I couldn't do much about it. I think it will be refreshing to have at least some degree of control over my situation (although the Navy isn't necessarily the best place to have control over your life >.>)

When I moved out for the first time, I realized there were a lot of things I wanted to change about myself. And I thought that just because I had this newfound independence and freedom, that just because my parents weren't looking over my shoulder all the time, I'd become this new person. Only I didn't. I was the same old person as before, and I kept expecting myself to magically change just because I had freedom and independence. It wasn't until I realized I had to push myself into changing, into doing things I was otherwise afraid to do, push myself into leaving my comfort zone to become the person I wanted to be. Took three years, but better late than never, I guess.
I can definitely relate to that. That's almost exactly how I've been feeling. Leaving that environment and sobering up has helped me realize a lot of my character flaws, and I've been actively trying to change my habits.

Similarly, leaving your current life will be great, but you'll only end up miserable in a new atmosphere if you don't maintain the resolve you have now, and if you don't actively make an effort to improve your life and yourself.
I want to look forward, but it is really hard right now. I know I'm becoming a better person every minute. I can feel it. I can see my decisions making more sense and I can see myself actually considering things before I do them (main reason I suck(ed) at melee. The impulsiveness).

tl;dr I guess what I'm saying is, make sure you don't become passive by expecting your life/self to change all by itself. Work at it, and if you find yourself feeling hopeless from time to time, maybe reread the post you typed up every now and then to remind yourself why it's so important for you to not give up.
I will definitely do that. I have been passive all of my life and now I just want to take control and live.
I never considered it, but I will come and read this. Thanks for the advice. I think that will help me straighten things out.
Responses in bold. Also, that thing about Melee makes me want to say something else below.

I'm by no means an advice guru (and honestly you shouldn't be looking to people on a smash forum for advice) but I have a suggestion that just...seems good. Consider it at least.
It seems like the problems you're trying to deal with are
-Learning to deal with your emotions and express them rather than just supress them and be a miserable person all the time
-Being a social person
The first one, yes. However, with my new discovered self awareness, I am able to make people think that every social interaction is normal. However, I have become analytical about everything that I do because I have just started to assume that everything I say or do is probably wrong. I know that isn't the best thing, but it seems like it has been working out.

Maybe you should get a dog? Just having another...sentient being in your life that you could become attached to (your dad is also mopey, you seem to hate your fat sister and it doesn't seem like you interact with your grandparents on your father's side at all) and invest your emotion in, it'd build up good habits (cleanliness, taking it for walks = exercise, if you train it you'd be practicing leadership, authority and confidence in a sense) and you'll have a basis for socializing if you
-walk it often
-Take it to a dog park
-Take it to obedience school
-(Much lesser extent) taking it to a vet
You'd think I would've been an animal person because they're the next best thing to real friends. I have had dogs throughout my life and they've always been my best friends. Animals have always naturally been attracted to me. Sometimes, I will just walk into a room and the cats and dogs in the room will all surround me and just lurk until I leave. Its strange and a lot of people have pointed that out. With that said, I don't necessarily have an affinity to animals. I just can't see them as friends in the same sense as a person. I could never imagine trusting a dog or anything like that because dogs don't do human things, so I can't see myself reinforcing those traits through them. We have 2 cats right now, and they are always in the same room as me, but petting them and such doesn't really solace me, unfortunately. It is a good idea, though. I think I can achieve that sort of progress if put myself out there and start interacting more in that same sense.

In terms of my family, yeah, my Dad is mopey. He is my Dad, though, and I love him. He stopped drinking when I got here and hasn't done anything else. In the end, a lot of my pain goes back to losing him for a while, and now that I have him back, he isn't the same person. That's one of the most painful things that have come up, actually. Like I said, he was destroyed by the divorce. He was accused of something terrible and it ate at him.

Yes, I am pretty disgusted by her (she mah aunt). I ignore and avoid her because just being around her and seeing her horrible greed make me sad.

I can't really relate to my Grandparents. I grew up not knowing them and now they're about to die. I've been trying hard to develop a relationship with them, but they just sit in their chairs doped up watching NCIS. Also, I never considered it, but I really don't want to develop a meaningful relationship with people I'm about to lose. I know it is a bad attitude and it sorta goes back to my past of just not dealing with things, but I can't do much about it.

I should mention that I take care of myself, btw. That was really short lived and only lasted about a year. I do need to get more exercise, though.

Obviously the idea is that you get it while not living with the rest of your family. idk how **** would work with them

It could also go completely wrong in that your house could become a furry ****ty smelly mess, neither you nor the dog gets exercise, the dog would become depressed and lonely as well and die young leaving you even more depressed etc etc.
rofl
Responses in bold.

I should say that Melee has been a driving force in my life. Honestly, without melee, I wouldn't have made half of the progress of bettering myself. I sucked at melee when I sucked at life, and I never got any better. Now that I've been bettering myself, I've been getting rapidly better at Melee. I went to Kings of Cali and then a triweekly and I've gotten ridiculously better in comparison to how I played before. I think the origin of that is my impulse control. When I played Melee, my execution and everything was fine, but I put no thought into it. Everything was just instinctual. Because of this, I got baited constantly, combo'd, gimped, etc. and I was the most obvious Falco over. The worst thing is that I was so inconsistent and I got demotivated really fast. I would get gimped once and throw the entire game away because I didn't want to dignify that death.
I can't think of all of the examples right now, but it really has contributed greatly to my self discovery. I'd love to articulate how it has made me a better person, but I can't put it in words.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Wretched- I think LT was trying to help by suggesting that alcohol will be bad for you.

Well sheesh, I guess I won't be making an effort-post for someone who hates me so much.

I'll just say this, that you obviously have an inclination for addiction, as you have been hooked on two different substances before (I'm guessing here) adulthood. Alcohol is way, way, WAYYYY more addictive than K2 is. Its acceptance in society is why it is extra dangerous for people with substance-abuse problems. I am speaking from my life experience here as I have been, at different points in my life addicted to painkillers, benzos, DXM and alcohol. Out of all that, the thing that made my life the absolute worst and had the biggest grip on me was alcohol, no question. It won't seem like a problem for a long time because it's such an accepted part of society, but society is entirely in the wrong here. I might be wrong, and it might never become a problem for you, but judging by the character you display in your OP it just seems like booze is going to be another notch in a line of addiction problems. You think it was easy to justify buying K2 every week? That is nothing compared to justifying all the heinous things that alcoholics do to themselves and others to keep their lifestyle going. The hoops I would jump through to rationalize waking up and drinking and going to school or to work, or drink a half a 1.75 in a sitting. I've destroyed dozens and dozens of friendships and relationships because of doing or saying things when I was drunk or zonked on benzos, and too often I would wake and find myself somewhere without a clue of where I'd been...and then just shrug it off with another drink. And knowing that this is how most of my family has died and not caring.

anyways, I'm not even gonna bother going on trying to help with the rest of your problems because you've been a whiny little **** in response to me. so, uh, **** off and smoke some K2 and join the navy I guess.
Pretty much all of this correct. I know in Australia at least, alcohol kills more people than smoking and all other recreational drugs combined.

The reason why alcohol is legal and weed still isn't is because special interest groups campaigned for it to remain illegal. All of these groups stand to lose money if it's legalised. There isn't much difference between the two in terms of risk of addiction.

Also, be careful because there is a strong drinking culture in the military that could prove dangerous to someone with your past addiction problem.

We're just trying to help you. The misconception that alcohol is safer than drugs because it is socially accepted leads a lot of people into alcoholism, and I don't want to see that happen to yet another person.

Though LT, you could be more mature in handling his behaviour. Yes he was rude when you were trying to help him, but he's probably going through a lot now so just cut him some slack.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I don't hate you, really. In the past it seems like it has been the other way around so that has always been the way I've responded. Looking back, I was wrong. However, within reason. Every conversation we have had has been negative, and that may be on both of our parts.
I'll just say this, that you obviously have an inclination for addiction, as you have been hooked on two different substances before (I'm guessing here) adulthood.
I think I was situationally prone to it, but I don't think I will let it define me, and now that I'm aware that I'm capable of that kind of abuse, I don't think I will let it take control. It might seem naive, but my lack of self awareness led to the abuse, and I feel I'm coming out of that.
Alcohol is way, way, WAYYYY more addictive than K2 is. Its acceptance in society is why it is extra dangerous for people with substance-abuse problems. I am speaking from my life experience here as I have been, at different points in my life addicted to painkillers, benzos, DXM and alcohol.
Yeah, I know it is addictive and destructive. I don't disagree at all.
Out of all that, the thing that made my life the absolute worst and had the biggest grip on me was alcohol, no question. It won't seem like a problem for a long time because it's such an accepted part of society, but society is entirely in the wrong here.
I agree wholeheartedly.
I might be wrong, and it might never become a problem for you, but judging by the character you display in your OP it just seems like booze is going to be another notch in a line of addiction problems.
The addiction was really a coping mechanism. I had no idea how to deal with things other than to put it away or to drown it out. We'll see though.
You think it was easy to justify buying K2 every week? That is nothing compared to justifying all the heinous things that alcoholics do to themselves and others to keep their lifestyle going. The hoops I would jump through to rationalize waking up and drinking and going to school or to work, or drink a half a 1.75 in a sitting. I've destroyed dozens and dozens of friendships and relationships because of doing or saying things when I was drunk or zonked on benzos, and too often I would wake and find myself somewhere without a clue of where I'd been...and then just shrug it off with another drink. And knowing that this is how most of my family has died and not caring.
I feel for you, but I think we're getting besides the point. Everything you're saying is correct, and I never meant to disagree with it. I really jumped the gun on thinking you were insulting me when you said that it was depressing. I wasn't questioning that at all, you see. I feel the same way about alcohol because I've seen its destruction. However, I feel that in the end, that destruction is a path. When I responded, I was, ineffectively, trying to tell you that I really don't think I should avoid alcohol for the rest of my life because of what it can do, because I know it is a path. I am not justifying the legality of the substance nor am I denying that it has harmed a lot of people. Having a few brews with some friends won't hurt, that is all I was saying. You responded to me with "That is depressing." Look at it from my point of view. Obviously with our history I would assume that you intended that as an insult..

No. It isn't okay. All I meant to say was that I'm not going to avoid drinking forever. It is wrong and it should be illegal, but while it is still illegal and while 90% of my friends will do it in the Navy, I might have a beer every once in a while.
Responses in bold.
Also, being realistic, I love your mustache.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I'll be honest, the only conversations I can remember having with you have all been about music. I can be obnoxious with people regarding music tastes, but I never meant to make personal affronts. It's just music. I say plenty of jerkish things aside from that to everyone, but it was never personal which is why I was taken aback at your response in here.

This might seem silly or simple, but have you ever thought about getting into art? You are interested in music (and iirc you make some?), have you considered channeling these feelings that you keep hidden away into a creative endeavor? I find a lot to relate to in your post especially regarding this feeling of emptiness and like I don't have feelings because of how much I have muted them over the years. It's not that I don't have them, it's that I cannot express myself in day to day life. Your story of consoling your grandfather is eerily familiar. Any family trauma or death or general bad news that isn't directly related to me results in me reacting by...not. I literally stare blankly and speak in neutral, one word affirmations. I don't really know why this is, but I just can't show myself to anyone out of mistrust and fear. Anyways, all of this is just to say that I get a very real and cathartic feeling from making/performing music or writing or nearly any artistic endeavor that captures my interest. It is therapeutic and life-affirming to the point where I find more worth in art than in most people. I would even go as far to say that it probably has saved my life on various occasions, in my darkest and most dismal days. It's not a cure-all or anything. I'm still incredibly emotionally damaged and have trouble in some social scenarios but it's given me a reason for existing that otherwise I would find hard to justify.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Artistic expression is actually one of the few good ways to express anger and other emotions.

Contrary to popular belief, things like venting or smashing something are not actually good ways to release emotions. The problem is these practices develop reward mechanims, making you want to do it more and more. That's why people why aggressive people become more and more aggressive as their life goes on.

But yeah, creative expression is a good method of dealing with issues. It doesn't matter if you don't really have any creative talent, it doesn't have to be for anyone else.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I really don't know what to say. It's kinda relieving to know that someone has been through something similar. I didn't think I was special or anything, but I definitely didn't think anyone would relate on smashboards.

In terms of the art thing, I have always been very neutral on music. I don't really like it in general other than metal, and I only like the metal because I've always been able to relate to the usual themes of the songs. I actually have been writing lyrics since I started high school, but I never really considered it a coping mechanism. Actually, I don't think it would've worked when I was the way I was before. But now, I actually have been appreciating the emotion in music a lot more. I've become very interested in piano (however I only listen to piano that sounds brutal and sad; reminds me of metal).

When you mention that and when I think about it, I think that music could be a great outlet. I've performed and all of that and it is exhilarating, but I haven't experienced that with my new state of mind. I will definitely look into that.

@ Dre. Real talk. I've always made music and written lyrics that I wanted other people to like. I suppose it was a way to make friends, but nobody likes metal so it didn't really work. I think I will try making it for myself. Thanks.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
People our age like metal.

People our age don't like classical, world music, and stuff from the 50s.

Talking in massive generalisations here obviously.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Metal is definitely much more generally accepted compared to decades past. If there is any kind of music scene where you live, getting involved in that can do wonders for your emotional health. It is my main way of meeting people as I don't really drink anymore and find it much easier to socialize over something I like. hopefully it's a metal/hardcore scene and not like a pop punk scene or something lol

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
There is a lot to respond to here:

First of all, I have to say I really feel for you in reading that OP because I know what it's like to just drift and feel like nothing matters (though I suppose my feelings for that came from vastly, vastly different reasons). I won't say too much more on it but that i'm happy that throughout all of it you're trying to be optimistic and keep going on with life, which is commendable, not to mention courageous and honourable.

In terms of alcohol, I totally accept that it can be seriously harmful... from my personal experiences, I think that it depends on the person using it as to how dangerous it is. I mean, some people have the endurance and mental strength to handle it without developing an addiction to it than others. That said, it's not impossible to develop that endurance and mental strength. The main problem with this theory is, how can you tell without people getting addictions, who can take the booze and who can't? As part of my culture (a jewish background, where alcohol that is so sweet you'd have to be seriously dedicated to get drunk on it is given to the whole community - yes, even kids), i've had some small amounts of alcohol on social occasions, usually I can't even get through a quarter of a glass and the only alcohol I actually like is dessert wine (which is incredibly expensive and prized), not for the alcohol but for its taste which you let simmer on your tongue... anyway, point is, I think alcohol is for social/family occasions and that is where it should stay. HOWEVER, I don't like the idea of banning alcohol in the home, mainly because I also hate to stop people making their own choices, etc etc.

On music, as it happens, Metal is becoming more popular. It's still an 'outsider's' genre but IMO very soon it will be completely accepted and VGM will (probably... hopefully... maybe... maybe not...) take its place as the 'outsider' genre, though I suppose in a way it already has...

For art, music and pets as comforters:

I cannot agree with this more. Art and music are creative ways to express the soul and also take up time which might otherwise have been spent sitting on the couch in a depression.

But pets... I honestly get emotional just from talking about them in relation to this subject... but it's a good idea, especially if animals generally have a tendency to like you (i'm the same way). There have been many times where i've buried my face in to my dog and just wept when the world was too much, when I thought I couldn't deal with something, for anything. Dogs may not be humans but they have a quality to them that I would say is even better: They just listen and take it all in. Looking at it logically, you might think otherwise but dogs can actually sense the pheromones given off by you when you feel certain emotions... basically, dogs can sense what you are feeling (like quite a few other animals). When I am in pain or am depressed, my dog will walk to me and bury his head in my lap and the way he looks at me, those hopeful, loving, carefree eyes never fail to make me happy. Sometimes if not for myself, then for him. He's like a brother. No, scratch that. He IS a brother.

It's hard to take what i'm saying seriously if you haven't developed a deep connection with a pet (because cats can do similar things, so can most any pet) but it's a worthwhile experience, it's another thing to do instead of just sitting there, it benefits both you and the pet (because many pets live without love or care in pounds, waiting to be killed or die and just as many live on the streets, contract mange and die... and i'm not going to go in to how much i've seen this happen because I will truly start crying at my key-board... some of the realities facing these animals are shocking and i've been to places where there are more dogs than people, perhaps a ratio of 5 dogs to 1 person on average and all of them have mange or all of them have incredible scars...), it really gives you something to work and live for and can be a stable point in an otherwise tumultuous life. Perhaps the one downside is that a huge event that happens to the pet can affect the carer. For instance, just recently a very special dog (and my brother is a cat person but he loves this dog) that we take care of in the desert, was literally torn open and flayed by other dogs in the community. I was flying home at the time but to hear my brother tell it, she came in to the house and lay down on the wall, was bleeding slightly at the time when he had seen her and we was going to get angry at her for bringing blood in to the house, when she sits down near the wall for a moment, gets up and the wall next to her is covered with blood. She is recovering at the moment and is being given antibiotics but there's a lot of work to be done and it's not like the wound can be sewn up because that could make it worse if she picked at it. She barely wants to eat or drink and howls if my brother tries to go to work so he has to stay and comfort her for perhaps 2 hours straight before she'll let him leave the house.

I know that sounds awful and a huge downside to it all but in reality, is it? It means that you've developed a proper connection with that animal and that turmoil has proved that she loves us and we love her. It strengthens those bonds and is another bump in the roller-coaster that is life.

So that's my advice. Sorry I can't say more but I know how it feels to be in those pits and I know that life sucks sometimes. I really wish you the best in future and can't wait till you begin to experience those happy times more often because those are the times worth living for and at the end it's about the journey, it's about experiencing the bumps and the troughs. Here's hopig that you get happier times ahead to counter-act the bad you've seen so far.

And once more, I applaud you for staying strong in this. Keep going, you definitely have my support (for what it's worth)! :)

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Thanks man. It means a lot that you'd take so much time to acknowledge my story and respond. I really don't know what to say other than that. I appreciate all of what you said and I will definitely take it to heart.

In terms of pets, I see where you're coming from, but it really isn't me... I just couldn't invest much emotion into an animal. It just isn't in me.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Thanks man. It means a lot that you'd take so much time to acknowledge my story and respond. I really don't know what to say other than that. I appreciate all of what you said and I will definitely take it to heart.

In terms of pets, I see where you're coming from, but it really isn't me... I just couldn't invest much emotion into an animal. It just isn't in me.
Again ha, that's what people think. I wouldn't force you in to it but my advice is just to try it and see where it takes you. If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't. If it does, then you have something you'll treasure. :)

And no problem, it's good IMO that people will take the time to respond to this stuff, it does my heart good to see the world filled with such people... and that makes me sound like i'm 60 lol... but it's true, I enjoy seeing people help others and I try to do it myself to reciprocate, to inspire and just because it's part of me. ^_^

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't know what to say except good luck in future endeavors in life.

Good to see there are others out there though.

(Sorry posting just this x_x, just extremely tired)

Top Bottom