• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Story Mode in SSB4 won't be like the Subspace Emissary

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
I think this news deserved its own topic.

"There will be a single player [campaign], but it won’t be like the [Subspace Emissary] mode in Brawl,” Sakurai explained. That game’s adventure mode offered a series of unlockable movies that explained the Subspace Emissary plot. “One thing we can do with the Smash Bros. series that’s unique to us — because we have all these different disparate characters brought together — is we can create that sort of fan-movie experience as a special gift. But now those things are posted on the internet, it doesn’t really become a gift for people who played the game.”

“What we decided this time around, we’re just going to have [those movies unlocked] from the beginning,” Sakurai said. “We’re going to have a movie for Wii Fit Trainer, The Villager and Mega Man and they’ll be viewable right at the beginning, you can watch those right away.”

Source: http://www.themmnetwork.com/2013/06...he-adventure-modes-story-in-super-smash-bros/

It looks like the story mode will be more like Melee, it's a shame because I really liked the SE...

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
I wonder what he means by “We’re going to have a movie for Wii Fit Trainer, The Villager and Mega Man and they’ll be viewable right at the beginning, you can watch those right away.”

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
I wonder what he means by “We’re going to have a movie for Wii Fit Trainer, The Villager and Mega Man and they’ll be viewable right at the beginning, you can watch those right away.”

Probably he is talking about the newcomer videos, the ones that are already in the dojo.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I thought the cutscenes in SSE were great, I hope we get something like those again.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
"But now those things are posted on the internet, it doesn’t really become a gift for people who played the game.”

Sounds like bad news for the dojo.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
After how tedious Subspace Emissary was, I'm kind of grateful it's not simply going to be a rehash.
Tedious? I guess to each their own, but I thought it was it was incredibly fun and a nice change of pace. I loved the cutscenes and the transitional gameplay between them. I'm not exactly disappointed that the new story mode won't be the same, but I thought SSE was a nice experience.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
"But now those things are posted on the internet, it doesn’t really become a gift for people who played the game.”

Sounds like bad news for the dojo.
Nah, not at all. They're posted on the internet when the game is out, sure. But during development, the Dojo is our only official resource really.

itsjenyoumen

Smash Apprentice

Maybe it will be similar to "Meet the" series from TF2

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Kind of wanted another SSE, but oh well. As long as they don't make it like Melee's "Adventure Mode."

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Fair enough. I would like an involved SP mode, but it doesn't necessarily need to be like SSE. I vote going for something like an expanded Event Mode, with platforming levels sprinkled in (so in other words, Melee Adventure, but looooonger).

Steelia

Smash Champion
The movies from SSBB's SSE mode were fun to watch. The SSE was not as much fun to play. There was little incentive to go back, outside of collecting trophies/stickers. The high score pertained to profiles instead of individual characters... which is what made SSB and SSBM's adventure campaigns replayable - the harder the difficultly & the better you got, the more points you could get. The loading times were also quite terrible.

I'm satisfied that we'll be seeing something more akin to the earliest two games' 1-P campaigns. I'm all for having more videos to watch, whether they pertain to the adventure mode or not. I only hope Sakurai considers making some things unlockable in the 1-P adventure.

UltimateLoser

Smash Rookie
I didn't really like the Subspace Emissary, but hopefully this means less work on SE and more work on the multiplayer part.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Thank heavens. Hopefully whatever they do with an adventure mode focuses on the franchises instead of some contrived crap like subspace. And I hope they take it In a direction that feels less like a crappy platformer and something that plays better with the way characters move.

AGreatProcrastinator

Smash Apprentice
I think it'll be something like what we'd get in SSE but not necessarily with an interconnected story. Like short movies of a few of the characters interacting with each other in different scenarios.
Or they could be like those character movies in Melee that focus on each characters and their moves and stuff (my copy of Melee seems to have fallen into the void, so someone may need to correct me here.)

D

Deleted member

I hope Subspace Emissary's successor will be better. I'm expecting improvements.

Ridley22

Smash Ace
I'm kind of happy about this. Mainly because SSE took a lot of time to make, so hopefully Sakurai can put more effort into making the multiplayer as good as possible.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I think he means we'll just get the character reveal videos, like the ones already on the internet for WFT, Megaman and Villager.
What I'm hoping for is that after beating single player mode with a character we'll be able to unlock their video, or a comedic ending clip.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I hope they find the even ground for this game's adventure mode as well. I sorta speculate of Tales Of-directors being on the helm for the plot of the story for Adventure Mode.

Though each to their own saying if Tales Of-games' story and plot are anything good. (-l^l-);

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
So no real cutscenes aside from the (quite short) reveal ones? Ah, too bad. All priority should go to the MP content, but SSE had some awesome cutscenes.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Cutscenes were the primary intro clips for our combo videos. That's about how much we lose here.
I'm happy of this change :p

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
I thought SSE was fun for a bit, but its gameplay wore on me fairly quickly, and it soon became a grind to get all the characters unlocked. Melee's Adventure Mode was simple and repetitive, but it was quick to finish and fairly entertaining. I'm hoping they can make a nice, expanded Adventure Mode that isn't as bloated as SSE. Admittedly, it's sad to see the cut-scenes go, but if Mega Man and WFT's trailers are anything to go by I'm very excited for more introduction movies for newcomers! (and maybe for veterans as well? :D )

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
I despised SSE with a passion. It was basically Sakurai showing his boner for the series he made on Smash. You go through all those stages only to arrive at a big maze thus going through all those stages AGAIN. To make matters worst, it was easier to unlock everybody using SE. Did not like it at all and prefer Melee's Adventure mode any day. Props to Sakurai for getting rid of that. SSE was so repetitive, there was absolutely no incentive to go back once you got everything unless you were bored or liked collecting stickers. Good riddance.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
SSE didn't represent Nintendo franchises well anyway... It was fun to a degree, but there are much better uses of the team's time than creating a bunch of new enemies when the Nintendo universe is already filled to the brim with interesting minions.

I kind of just want each character unlocked to also unlock a new single player/co-op chapter that takes place in their world. First, you beat that chapter with the character that it's linked to and then you unlock the ability to play through it with whoever.

All I really want is the ability to play as Nintendo characters in other Nintendo universes. Playing through Little Mac's Boxing Tournament chapter as, say, a little Blue Robot with a full arsenal of explosives would really just make my life better.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I liked subspace emissary... I don't see why people get so worked up about it, I mean sure it was basically original enemies and stuff but that doesn't mean it isn't fun. Well as long as there is some sort of story involved ill be fine. Melees "adventure mode" seems to be nothing more than a glorified arcade mode and I liked the ideas brawl had in the subspace emissary, and I hope they expand on those ideas to do even better in this game.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Hmm, disappointing. I really enjoyed the adventure mode in Brawl, and was really hoping there would be something similar in Smash 4. (Shrugs) At the same time, I am not surprised. After all, the main focus of fighting games is, and should be, the VS mode, not the storytelling.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I despised SSE with a passion. It was basically Sakurai showing his boner for the series he made on Smash. You go through all those stages only to arrive at a big maze thus going through all those stages AGAIN. To make matters worst, it was easier to unlock everybody using SE. Did not like it at all and prefer Melee's Adventure mode any day. Props to Sakurai for getting rid of that. SSE was so repetitive, there was absolutely no incentive to go back once you got everything unless you were bored or liked collecting stickers. Good riddance.
Subspace Emissary, repetitive? You only have to play it once to unlock things, whereas, you have to play Melee's Adventure Mode a whopping 25 times (once per fighter) at the least to unlock all the rewards there.

Or is this because of the constant platforming sections that you had to get around?

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I actually really liked SSE, and would love for a comeback regardless of "rehashing". But then again, I wouldn't mind getting the 'ol Melee adventure mode-like thing. Not that I'm going to be playing it a lot anyways,

Also, this could probably open an opportunity for people who liked the way you unlocked characters in Melee like me. (You could just go through story mode in Brawl to unlock all the characters, or do the "melee-like" way if you know what I mean) Not that it really makes much of a difference though, but I'd rather like to see the "challenger approaching" and battle said challenger to unlock him/her as a character.

Subspace Emissary, repetitive? You only have to play it once to unlock things, whereas, you have to play Melee's Adventure Mode a whopping 25 times (once per fighter) at the least to unlock all the rewards there.

Or is this because of the constant platforming sections that you had to get around?
That's essentially the same thing. Yeah you only have to play SSE once, but you have to complete multiple levels in order to unlock the characters.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
I don't want to start another Melee vs Brawl discussion but... the Subspace Emissary is a huge improvement over Melee's adventure mode, SSE was a lot more fun, the cutscenes were awesome and it wasn't as repetitive and tedious as Melee's adventure mode. Still I haven't completed it 100% and I've finished it a lot of times. I hope something along the lines of SSE is present in SSB4 (maybe it would be better if the story mode was unlocked after unlocking all characters).

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
SSE didn't represent Nintendo franchises well anyway... It was fun to a degree, but there are much better uses of the team's time than creating a bunch of new enemies when the Nintendo universe is already filled to the brim with interesting minions.

I kind of just want each character unlocked to also unlock a new single player/co-op chapter that takes place in their world. First, you beat that chapter with the character that it's linked to and then you unlock the ability to play through it with whoever.

All I really want is the ability to play as Nintendo characters in other Nintendo universes. Playing through Little Mac's Boxing Tournament chapter as, say, a little Blue Robot with a full arsenal of explosives would really just make my life better.
Want. *paws affectionately at the screen*

The World Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Yeah SSE was way too long. I preferred Melee's adventure mode. I didn't enjoy having to play through 8 plus hours of "story" to unlock most of the cast. The cut-scenes were ok but nothing spectacular.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

actually twice to get Tink, Wolf, and Jiggs on the 2nd run.

also Adventure mode was much shorter in comparison,had a hidden final boss, and there were more easier alternatives to get characters then Brawl had(Classic, Event Mode, etc.)

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
actually twice to get Tink, Wolf, and Jiggs on the 2nd run.
Uhm, you needn't play it twice to unlock those. Just replay certain levels to a point.

Edit: That being said playing "The Great Maze" or whatever it was called basically like going through it again.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
What if this time the cutscene are substuted by interactive dialogues among the characters for deciding the path of the story?
Sample:
The group reaches a fork.
Character number 1:"And now?"
Character number 2:"I think we'd better cut through the forest!"
Character number 3:"But the forest is dark and filled with trap and foes! We'd better take the open field track!"
Character number 2:"But's freaking longer!"
Character number 3:"But a lot less dangerous!"
The other chars cross their arms and watch each other, as you have to make them decide if listen to character number 2 or character number 3.

Top Bottom