• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Story Mode in SSB4 won't be like the Subspace Emissary

Arteen

Smash Lord
A branching structure would be a good way to add some variety to a Melee-esque adventure mode.

max.

Smash Rookie
Man, I must have been one of the few who enjoyed playing SSE. I love beat' em up games and playing them with a friend is even more enjoyable. I hpoe they have something similar and better for the new game. Only thing that bothered me was how easy the mode was.

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
Subspace Emissary, repetitive? You only have to play it once to unlock things, whereas, you have to play Melee's Adventure Mode a whopping 25 times (once per fighter) at the least to unlock all the rewards there.

Or is this because of the constant platforming sections that you had to get around?

Pretty much. The constant platforming sections were unbearable for me. Was not a fan of SSE at all. Glad its gone.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
Saying the the new story mode won't be like the SSE doesn't mean its going to be like Melee's. Maybe it will be longer and harder?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
The perfect adventure mode would be one that never ends, travel around the nintendo locales metroidvania style, leveling up like in Soul Calibur's weapon master mode, leveling wouldn't affect your character but give ya a fancy title like Grand Master Brawler or Berzerker or something. Compete in smash tournaments or go through dungeons with special status conditions like your damage percent is constantly increasing or you have a percentage of life that's decreasing. Items could be found in chests and equipped during a battle for a one time use. Coins could purchase bonus content in a chain of shops run by Tom Nook.

Just throwing out my idea of a cool adventure mode.

Hickory

Smash Cadet
So I guess this explains Yellow Devil at the end of the Mega Man reveal. Bosses from characters' home games as adventure mode endings.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
Kinda sad to read this, but none-the-less, I feel he will do what is right for the game.

Do hope their are HD cutscenes showing various characters meeting one way or another, I LOVED that about SSE, seeing Samus save and meet Pikachu was amazing for me. It really draws you into the Nintendo world.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
The perfect adventure mode would be one that never ends, travel around the nintendo locales metroidvania style, leveling up like in Soul Calibur's weapon master mode, leveling wouldn't affect your character but give ya a fancy title like Grand Master Brawler or Berzerker or something. Compete in smash tournaments or go through dungeons with special status conditions like your damage percent is constantly increasing or you have a percentage of life that's decreasing. Items could be found in chests and equipped during a battle for a one time use. Coins could purchase bonus content in a chain of shops run by Tom Nook.

Just throwing out my idea of a cool adventure mode.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
SSE didn't represent Nintendo franchises well anyway... It was fun to a degree, but there are much better uses of the team's time than creating a bunch of new enemies when the Nintendo universe is already filled to the brim with interesting minions.

I kind of just want each character unlocked to also unlock a new single player/co-op chapter that takes place in their world. First, you beat that chapter with the character that it's linked to and then you unlock the ability to play through it with whoever.

All I really want is the ability to play as Nintendo characters in other Nintendo universes. Playing through Little Mac's Boxing Tournament chapter as, say, a little Blue Robot with a full arsenal of explosives would really just make my life better.

I really like this idea. Even if they do it per franchise instead of per character (as I suspect they would were they to do this), I really like it.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I think i can speak for all and say ''Thank God'' The only good thing about SSE was the cutscene but now in HD more powerful console a better team and artwork/style and Sakurai saying the story mode will have cutscenes/movie like scenes i dont think they will be 1 thing missed about SSE.

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
Most of us just play Smash games for the multiplayer modes anyways. I say they should just get rid of adventure mode and everytime we beat classic mode with a character, we unlock a cut scene about the character's journey to Smash 4.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I really like this idea. Even if they do it per franchise instead of per character (as I suspect they would were they to do this), I really like it.

I was thinking per character because then it'd better represent Nintendo's more popular series a bit better. Also, the franchises with more characters actually have a lot more things for them to work with.

For instance...
-Mario's would be a very classic sequence that leads to Bowser's castle
-Luigi's would explore a haunted mansion
-Yoshi's would fight a bunch of cutsie enemies and end with fighting Kamek
-Peach's would fight a lot of sub-con enemies like Ninjis and Beezos
-Bowser's would be breaking through a Mushroom Kingdom fortress filled with panicking Toads to kidnap a princess :awesome:

Or...
-Fox's would follow a ground assault and end in an over the top baddie with weak points
-Falco's would take place on top of a formation of arwings battles in the air, with you leaping up to destroy oncoming bogeys, ending with another boss with weakpoints.
-Wolf's would take place as he infiltrates a giant Federation starship and coordinates with the rest of the Star Wolf team in a heist.

Or...
-Link gathers pieces of some artifact and ultimately confronts Ganondorf.
-Toon Link travels from island to island while protecting his ship from marauders and bad weather and ends in a small dungeon.
-Zelda escapes from a bad guy's prison with a mix of magically hitting switches as Zelda and quickly maneuvering as Sheik.
-Ganondorf goes around subduing giant monsters in order to recruit them and their minions for his army.

Or...
-Samus fights alien soldiers.
-Ridley fights human soldiers.

So, I would like a chapter for each character to get their specific flavor, good guy or bad guy. Also, then it'd represent the more important franchises more than the less central ones, y'know?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah I'm glad SSE is gone. The cutscenes were cool, but that was time that could've been spent elsewhere. I have yet to meet a single person who was impressed by the overall experience.

I'm hoping every character gets a chapter or something, and face a specific boss at the end of their games. Tiki Tong or Klubba for DK, Petey for Mario, etc.

Well just have to wait and see what we get though!

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I was thinking per character because then it'd better represent Nintendo's more popular series a bit better. Also, the franchises with more characters actually have a lot more things for them to work with.

For instance...
-Mario's would be a very classic sequence that leads to Bowser's castle
-Luigi's would explore a haunted mansion
-Yoshi's would fight a bunch of cutsie enemies and end with fighting Kamek
-Peach's would fight a lot of sub-con enemies like Ninjis and Beezos
-Bowser's would be breaking through a Mushroom Kingdom fortress filled with panicking Toads to kidnap a princess :awesome:

Or...
-Fox's would follow a ground assault and end in an over the top baddie with weak points
-Falco's would take place on top of a formation of arwings battles in the air, with you leaping up to destroy oncoming bogeys, ending with another boss with weakpoints.
-Wolf's would take place as he infiltrates a giant Federation starship and coordinates with the rest of the Star Wolf team in a heist.

Or...
-Link gathers pieces of some artifact and ultimately confronts Ganondorf.
-Toon Link travels from island to island while protecting his ship from marauders and bad weather and ends in a small dungeon.
-Zelda escapes from a bad guy's prison with a mix of magically hitting switches as Zelda and quickly maneuvering as Sheik.
-Ganondorf goes around subduing giant monsters in order to recruit them and their minions for his army.

Or...
-Samus fights alien soldiers.
-Ridley fights human soldiers.

So, I would like a chapter for each character to get their specific flavor, good guy or bad guy. Also, then it'd represent the more important franchises more than the less central ones, y'know?
I really like this idea, but it just sounds like so much work ya know? Granted Subspace was also alot of work, but this might actually be more work than that, and with how subspace worked out for him, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't want to invest that much time and effort into adventure mode again. However if he did do this, I think I'd have to buy both versions of the game just to show my support and their respective systems because that would be so sweet! It'd be like what he was going for with the classics, only without the extremely short time limitations that made that useless.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I must be one of the only people here who like SSE. I thought it was good seeing the characters interactions and I liked the story of it. My two complaints with it though would be...

It was lacking Nintendo Enemies. Yes I know there were Goombas and Koopas. I mean more than that,like how adveuture mode in Melee there were ReDeads and Octoroks. Also the Great Maze needs to go,it was okay at first,but got repetitive after a minute.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I really like this idea, but it just sounds like so much work ya know? Granted Subspace was also alot of work, but this might actually be more work than that, and with how subspace worked out for him, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't want to invest that much time and effort into adventure mode again. However if he did do this, I think I'd have to buy both versions of the game just to show my support and their respective systems because that would be so sweet! It'd be like what he was going for with the classics, only without the extremely short time limitations that made that useless.

All valid points. :)
I don't actually think it'd take as much time as subspace- I'm essentially thinking each chapter would be like one simpler subspace level + 2 event matches. But I'm pretty sure I won't be getting what I want with the adventure mode.

But if I was directing the game.......

The flaw in this mode is that it'd limit how many character interactions there are, but I guess it sounds like Sakurai might not be going for that anyway. I don't really like his reasoning in terms of "well, people can just look up the cut scenes on the internet these days"... I mean, you can also just look up an entire playthrough of any popular game. Even with cutscenes, the experience just isn't the same watching vs. experiencing it in context of the game.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
All valid points. :)
I don't actually think it'd take as much time as subspace- I'm essentially thinking each chapter would be like one simpler subspace level + 2 event matches. But I'm pretty sure I won't be getting what I want with the adventure mode.

But if I was directing the game.......

The flaw in this mode is that it'd limit how many character interactions there are, but I guess it sounds like Sakurai might not be going for that anyway. I don't really like his reasoning in terms of "well, people can just look up the cut scenes on the internet these days"... I mean, you can also just look up an entire playthrough of any popular game. Even with cutscenes, the experience just isn't the same watching vs. experiencing it in context of the game.
I don't really get Sakuria's reasoning either. It's almost like he hasn't hear of the internet before, but then again he has a twitter and such. I just don't know anymore.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
My formula for each character

Unique 3 minute long platform/adventuremodeish type level ending with a Boss fight from that characters series.

Id rather have a short unique story for every character then a long akward one that puts them all together somehow.

yullow321

Smash Rookie
I just want characters to meet and have emotion like lucas did, I dont wan't every character do just have their own adventure mode cause that would just be kind of repetive. Have another story mode with more of a meaning and an adventure mode so you can have so much more to do.
Also anyone else hope to see wolf and fox have a rival in a story mode

D

Deleted member

Yeah and some of those methods can arguably take even longer. Like the ones to unlock Mewtwo and Mr. Game and Watch in Melee.
Mewtwo was pretty damn short and effortless compared to playing 700 matches.

And playing 1000 matches for G&W was more tedious than anything else.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
Smash Bros. mechanics are just wonky and awkward in a single-player platformer-beat-em-up game environment. It really only works as a 1v1 or FFA fighting game (2v2 feels weird even). Challenge mode can be fun but other than that I say focus on what makes your franchise so great.

The World Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo was pretty damn short and effortless compared to playing 700 matches.

And playing 1000 matches for G&W was more tedious than anything else.
Could have sworn it was 1000 matches for Mewtwo and something else for G&W. Eh its been a while. Anyway, I'll just say I wasn't really a fan of SSE and leave it at that.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Could have sworn it was 1000 matches for Mewtwo and something else for G&W. Eh its been a while. Anyway, I'll just say I wasn't really a fan of SSE and leave it at that.

Mewtwo was unlocked by setting you and a computer at infinite stock for a day.
Or ya know, how he was unlocked by every kid with internet access.

I liked the way SSE unlocked characters, hated the actual mode.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
My formula for each character

Unique 3 minute long platform/adventuremodeish type level ending with a Boss fight from that characters series.

Id rather have a short unique story for every character then a long akward one that puts them all together somehow.

This guy gets it! Beat it with the character, unlock the ability to play it with other characters. Super simple, represents the characters and their series, and it's awesome. A lot of these "boss fights" could even be other characters, Mario vs. Bowser, Link vs. Ganondorf, DK vs. K.Rool, Fox vs. Wolf and vice versa. Wouldn't be too bad and it'd be a lot less repetitive than SSE.

But yeah, I guess that works best for people who don't care much about seeing the characters interact and have emotional arcs... I didn't get much out of the no-dialogue "character development" in SSE anyway, though. I can only care about heroic mimes so much.

@World Warrior
I have to say, with the default gray Smashboards theme, your blue font kind of makes my eyes feel like they're breaking.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
Uhm, you needn't play it twice to unlock those. Just replay certain levels to a point.

Edit: That being said playing "The Great Maze" or whatever it was called basically like going through it again.
You have to replay several levels to unlock alternate cutscenes. Mario/Kirby, Peach/Zelda, and Meta Knight/Lucario variants.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I disliked the Subspace Emissary BUT I loved the cut-scenes.
Also I think that an adventure mode like the SE could be fantastic if made in the same way but with some MAJOR tweaks.
Would need to be much more challenging, less linear and more puzzle based.
Also better incorporate the villains we already have an attachment to, instead of manufacturing a villain like Tabuu who no one cared for.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I disliked the Subspace Emissary BUT I loved the cut-scenes.
Also I think that an adventure mode like the SE could be fantastic if made in the same way but with some MAJOR tweaks.
Would need to be much more challenging, less linear and more puzzle based.
Also better incorporate the villains we already have an attachment to, instead of manufacturing a villain like Tabuu who no one cared for.
I agree... Partially. I mean: We need a big bad master mind above all the villains. Someone that can be related to all the most important franchises in the game or to no one, but still Nintendo-related.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I agree... Partially. I mean: We need a big bad master mind above all the villains. Someone that can be related to all the most important franchises in the game or to no one, but still Nintendo-related.
I'd just prefer it if the story was that all of the big Nintendo villains were teaming up to achieve some evil purpose.
Doesn't necessarily have to have one that is the top dog.
But if there was.............. you know it would be Ganondorf ;)

Maybe it could be that all of the big villains become fuzed into one ultimate evil being :chuckle:
King Ridmew K Bowriodorf anyone?

Bedhead

Smash Rookie
I'm glad. The Subspace Emissary was a cute concept but such a slog. I'd much prefer a short and lithe Adventure Mode like what we saw in Melee, but hopefully with a bit more creativity. The only two aspects I enjoyed of The Subspace Emissary were the humorous cutscenes and the boss battles, and those are both confirmed.

Top Bottom