• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Story Mode for BRAWL!

Fawriel

Smash Master
I think you'll end up banned if you post too many threads that have already been made without searching beforehand. Be more careful.
This topic has been made numerous times even within the short time I've been here.

As for the topic: Nothing to say against it. Whatever makes single-player more fun.

mrbrightside

Smash Cadet
Story mode would suck. Ever play story mode in SC II? Thats what it would be like. HORRIBLE.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
There were some nintendo toys in some kids room and then a hand picked em up and dropped em somewhere and now they're fighting.

1player mode is for chumps.

mrbrightside

Smash Cadet
There were some nintendo toys in some kids room and then a hand picked em up and dropped em somewhere and now they're fighting.

Its there to annoy you by forcing you to beat the crap out of AI that will run to the comlete other end of Hyrule Castle to throw a Goldeen at you in order to unlock Jigglypuff.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord

One player mode is just another way to unlock characters. (Usually quicker then just playing 1000+ matches to unlock all characters)

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Bleh, I really don't see Brawl with a story mode aside from the generic Master Hand blah blah blah. Perhaps a longer Adventure Mode.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Also the fact that you need a SD card just to transfer data from Wii to Wii >_>

It sucks really.

Screw that. 1p mode it is... sigh.

I hate 1player mode, its just gonna make me worse at the game, any time spent playing 1p mode or vs computers is time wasted. It actually reverses your skill.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Screw that. 1p mode it is... sigh.

I hate 1player mode, its just gonna make me worse at the game, any time spent playing 1p mode or vs computers is time wasted. It actually reverses your skill.
I really don't see much of a problem playing 1-Player mode to unlock the characters in the very beginning of SSBB; because your still going to be new to the game. I'm in no way saying that everything you learned in melee is going to be null because iirc SSBB is using Melee's engine. Even so it's going to take some time to get used to the changes the SSBB brings to the table; so why not take that time by unlocking the characters while you get used to playing Brawl?

If it really bothers you that much I guess you could have a friend or someone unlock the characters for you ._.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Ah but the items, duke, the items! I get what Dylan's saying, because for the way he plays, it'll be completely counter-intuitive, just the same, wouldn't it be nice to see if they actually improve 1-P?

Sakurai said that was a major focus, and I'm assuming that's' considering how well regular multi works anyway.

AtticusFinch

Smash Journeyman
I'll play One Player once and then just play Multi player for the next month, then go for Unlocking all the Chars. Then go back to Multi player.

A story would be lame, I mean, It's just a game were you get to play as you favorit Nintendo Charecters. It's only there to unlock motre charecters really lol

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Well, even the "best" fighting game stories, and I use best lightly, pretty much amount to "OMG WE GOTTA HAVE A FIGHTING TOURNAMENT TO RIGHT THE WRONGS. NUH UH, THE WRONGS ARE RIGHT. OH COOL PRIZES." People who tell you Street Fighter is deep fiction, and I really love Street Fighter, are probably terminally ******** and should not be allowed to operate heavy machinery.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
"Nintendo: Will the single-player of Super Smash Bros. be the same as it was on the GameCube?

Masahiro Sakurai: No, we're going to change it. I think we're going to try and make a single-player mode that people can enjoy a little bit more than perhaps they did on the GameCube.

Shigeru Miyamoto: This is actually something Mr Sakurai and I have had a difference of opinion on since the very first Smash Bros. game. Mr Sakurai always wanted to have a very deep single-player game, and on the N64 version I just said to him, you know, we've got plenty of very deep single-player games, why don't you hurry up and just focus on multiplayer and don't worry about the single-player. And Mr Sakurai said no, no, no, I want to have some kind of single-player in there so I just said well, make it really short so we can focus on multiplayer and get the game done. And we kind of did a little bit of that on the GameCube, but a bit more single-player than that. This time we're getting a lot of time to focus on Smash Bros., plenty of time to develop it, so people can expect a very robust single-player game."

They're gonna do something different...

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If 1P mode had actual depth it would be awsome, but sadly it doesn't. 1P mode is a non-smasher's/smash n00bs best friend, while vs. mode is a real smashers game. Hopefully 1P mode is at least somewat decent, and would it kill Nintendo to actually make it have depth and somewat decent AI, instead of retarted AI that runs into your every move=??? I think not.

WIND SMASHER X

Smash Cadet
They have plenty of time to work on Brawl and it seems things are going well so we may be able to expect a more entertaining 1p mode.

HeroOfTime64

Smash Cadet
Hey! Where's everybody's spirit? Imagine this: Solid Snake, sitting in his game, after his previous game has some free time on his hands, like a vacation. But then, get's a strange letter with the smash symbol on the front. No address.

After reading, Snake steps out of his house and begins to meet at the reconnissance point (A Metal Gear Solid stage) and is confronted by, let's say, Fox.

After beating him, A portal opens and Master Hand emerges. Before Snake can think, Master Hand whisks him away to fight the others.

This could work with any character. Mario getting the same letter in his mailbox, Link, getting it from the mailman from his games, and Donkey Kong getting it from that parrot from DK64.

And the final battle will be their arch-foe (it has to be an NPC) until their foe is beaten. Their foe will turn out to be a mirage by Master Hand, and the character will confront the floating glove.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
If 1P mode had actual depth it would be awsome, but sadly it doesn't. 1P mode is a non-smasher's/smash n00bs best friend, while vs. mode is a real smashers game. Hopefully 1P mode is at least somewat decent, and would it kill Nintendo to actually make it have depth and somewat decent AI, instead of retarted AI that runs into your every move=??? I think not.
QFT.I hate weak single player mode.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Yes, they are surely working on it a lot harder. I need something to do so I can freshen up on my skills..

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I don't think there should be a real STORY mode... Since I guess they would have to come up with a story for the original and Melee to tie it all in.. Unless they make Brawl the only canon part. Yet it would be interesting to have each character have a tie in and alliance with others.. I support story, but I have no high expectations for it.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord

Must...resist...comment....

I like 1P mode and Vs mode both just fine. I actually liked the events in Melee, since they gave rise to a lot of situations that you couldn't replicate in Vs matches. Like the All Star Matches... I really hope Brawl incorporates something like that into Vs matches (there is a thread on a similar topic). There were also some stages that you could only access via events (fighting on giant pokémons... not that creative I know, but it was different).

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Must...resist...comment....

I like 1P mode and Vs mode both just fine. I actually liked the events in Melee, since they gave rise to a lot of situations that you couldn't replicate in Vs matches. Like the All Star Matches... I really hope Brawl incorporates something like that into Vs matches (there is a thread on a similar topic). There were also some stages that you could only access via events (fighting on giant pokémons... not that creative I know, but it was different).
Meh the events to me were a pain. No c-stick is just really annoying. If they fix that one then Id probably enjoy it 20x more.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Meh the events to me were a pain. No c-stick is just really annoying. If they fix that one then Id probably enjoy it 20x more.
Oh god yes, I learned to play the game in vs. mode against friends and the no c-stick thing sucked because well.. at that time I had no idea how to do smashes without the c-stick.

The single player let me hone some new skills I guess, I often fell off the platforms in the tunnel part. And would fail at the part where I would have to climb up all the platforms in the Metroid themed one I think.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I always liked the adventure mode.So if they really go all out I'll be happy.:)
Imagine this: A story/free roming mode, in which each character has their own paths to take. You can roam around mushroom kingdom freely (2D sidescrolling of course), Hyrule, etc. Like a Super Mario Bros. game, but with the ultimate open world adventure of Zelda, bosses, enemy encounters, good music, AI that makes Zelda II's look like a bunch of scrubs, and the whole Smash formula. In other words, jsut a fun free roaming adventure, is that too much to ask for=???

Make it to where every character has a tad bit of a story, like Snake is sent on a mission to destroy a nuclear weapon launcher stronger than any Metal Gear, and has to sneak in his box through levels, and winds up in a SF ship after being cargoed out. Then he escapes, ends up on the new MP3 world, finds a escape pod, and ends up in Onett. There he teams up with Ness, and the fight off Ganondorf and Mario, and then go to another Earth Bound town and meet up with Lucas, and togther stop a giant DK. Then Snake heads off, and sneaks into a helipcopter hijacks it, and lands on Shadow Moses Island.

There he confronts Liquid Snake, but then sees the nuclear weapon. While charging to destroy it, Giga Bowser slashes it into bits, and Snake must fight Giga Bowser. Then after defeating Giga Bowser, the building is collapsing, and Snake escapes. Afterwards, Snake takes a plane and leaves the island (that is bombed by nukes galore!), and is somehow transported to Battlefield. Fighting off the Wireframes and Fighting Polygons, he then lands at Final Destination.

There he confronts Master Hand, defeats him, and then fights and defeats Crazy Hand. Afterwards, he wakes up as if out of a dream by a broken plane, being the only survivor. He then finds himself on Yoshi's Island, and has to fight Yoshis like crazy. Then he randomly find his way to DK isle, where he fights DK, adn takes his swordfish.

^^^^ I dunno, just random ideas, and I'm tired. *waits for darn youtube vid to load* But it needs to be customizable, have a level for every series represented in Brawl, and have free roaming, not do the exact same routes over and over again. Maybe you can pick where you go, IDK just something intresting and adventuresome. I imagine anything from visting Smashville, fighting on the Haliberd, fighting on Shadow Moses Island, and fighting ontop of a giant castle is only the begining.

Hopefully it at least has gameplay depth, but some story would be nice, as long as it isn't all just one big story. But hey, that's jsut my two cents! :) O, and co-op would be awsome! :)

Top Bottom