• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Story Mode & Adventure Mode~ Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Oh and get rid of the Difficulty Level option. It makes bosses like Tabuu WAY too Easy and WAY too difficult. There should be a gradual increase of difficulty as you progress like, y'know, MOST OTHER games with stories (you don't see Super Mario Bros. 3 with a difficulty setting, do you?)
I do not want anything like what Mario Strikers Charged featured; the difficulty of the Striker Cup can become so insane that it's not even funny.

Basically, the skill level should stick around so that just about everyone can clear the story. Of course, you would eventually have to play Adventure Mode on a harder skill level if you want to unlock all the hidden goodies.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Had no real issue with Subspace, I enjoyed it the first time playing, the cutscenes we animated nicely, yeah the story had plotholes, but I hope for SSB4 they take the story & build on as a sequel & kinda fix errors that made alot of people dislike the story mode

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Had no real issue with Subspace, I enjoyed it the first time playing, the cutscenes we animated nicely, yeah the story had plotholes, but I hope for SSB4 they take the story & build on as a sequel & kinda fix errors that made alot of people dislike the story mode
Actually, I realise what you are saying. For all it's plotholes (that did confuse me to no end) and repetitive level design I actually wasn't too fussed by the SSE on my first play-through. Although I did have a little sigh when I first got up to the great maze and realised they were making me do it all again...

I agree with the fact they shouldn't have stolen the 'challenger approaching' screen by allowing unlockable players in the SSE but I didn't mind unlocking music and other bonus stuff from it. Getting fire field after doing that endurance battle with C. Falcon, oli and the monkey duo was pretty fun. ^^

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Here's an old intro to Wario's story I once made.

*Updated version of this Wario Land 2 intro cutscene plays (up to 30-sec mark).*

*When clouds depart and Kitchen Island is in sight, giant Wario nose descends from above screen, and a large hand with pointed index finger emerges from below. The exclamation "Pick!" pops up on the screen and disappears quickly. Generic WarioWare microgame music plays.*

*Finger digs into nose. The exclamation "Success!" fades in the front of the screen with fireworks behind.*

*We now see a television in front of us, on which the microgame is playing. Camera zooms out, showing a generic microgame developer seated near the television, and then the backside of Wario, seated behind an office desk. The setting is an office.*

*Camera shows close-up of microgame developer as he widens his smile.*

*Camera shows Wario behind his desk staring uninterested in the microgame developer's eyes.*

*Camera shows the two on each side of the screen from one side of the office. The office is mostly surrounded by glass panes, and sound from outside in Diamond City can be heard.*

*Close-up of Wario again. Wario reaches for and presses a red button on his desk.*

*A trapdoor opens below where the microgame developer is seated, and the developer and chair fall through. Wario laughs at the incident.*

*Wario behind his desk. Wario gets out of his desk, stretches, scratches his butt, and approaches a solid wall opposite the desk. On it is a calender. The calender shows the month of July and depicts Wario's castle on it's top half. On the bottom half, two weeks are marked out with pen. Wario looks at the calender with mild enthusiasm and marks out the last day before his typical summer vacation. He then moves out of his office. Behind a glass pane, a mysterious, blob-ish figure can be seen on a scaffold. The scaffold descends out of sight.*

*Wario is seen moving through various offices and hallways in the WarioWare building down to the bottom. Many of the well-known microgame developers - Ashley, 9 and 18-Volt, Dribble and Spitz, Jimmy T., etc. - can be seen in the rooms and halls.*

*Wario reaches the bottom floor, opens one door marked "Private" with a key, and enters his personal garage. He turns on the lights, revealing his bike in front of him. The intro to this Brawl remix plays.*

*The garage door opens up and Wario speeds out on his bike and drives onto the streets of Diamond City, blatantly missing the traffic lights and driving erratically. While driving, he pulls out garlic from his back pocket and chows on it while car crashes pile behind where his bike drives. The police take notice and begin a chase. The WarioWare Inc. Medley's intro then segues into this Brawl tune.*

Begin Level 1: Diamond City (Daytime)
  • Level Music: WarioWare Inc. (Brawl)
  • Wario would be cruising entirely on his bike through Diamond City in this level, with police cars chasing him. The goal of the level is to evade the policemen for the entire duration of the level.
  • To evade the police, Wario needs to gain speed boosts. Wario can gain speed boosts by completing microgames he encounters on the drive.
  • When Wario encounters a microgame (they'd probably just work like floating microgame cartridges that he drives into), he jumps off his bike to complete the microgame. If he's successful, he jumps back on his bike and his bike speeds up. If he fails, he and his bike stumbles for a second and he loses speed.
  • In addition, while driving, Wario may see citizens of Diamond City holding up signs reading "Taunt!" or "Do a Wheelie!" If Wario does as is asked while on the bike, he wins a collectible like a trophy or sticker.

End Level 1: Diamond City (Daytime)

*Wario's speed is too much for the police; the police give up chase, and we see Wario drive far off from Diamond City into the distant hills.*

*On the sidewalk, a shadowy group of four blob-ish figures with the outlines of bandanas on their heads can be seen. The camera zooms in on them. A car crashes into the fourth and farthest of these strangers and into the adjacent building, and the car explodes. The three strangers in front open their eyes wide.*

*This music begins playing. A new shot of the four three strangers entering the WarioWare building.*

*Two of the strangers enter the building. The third one catches up quickly, running into the second one and falling backwards. The other two look back and roll their eyes. The third one joins in with them. The three are heard whispering to each other. The group then splits up and explores the building.*

*One stranger is seen moving towards a giant vault with an engraved Wario face - the WarioWare savings vault. The figure blowtorches it open, revealing a vast sea of rollings hills of money and bags of money in front of him.*

*The second stranger is seen entering the basement of the building, where a giant faucet can be seen. The stranger begins running into the faucet until it gives way and releases giant gushes of water into the basement. The stranger sneaks outside as the room floods.*

*The third stranger is seen sneaking through one hallway. Jimmy T. walks by, greets the stranger with a wave of the hand, and the stranger greets him back. Jimmy T. then stops, realizes who he saw, and turns back, pointing at the stranger. The stranger, eyes wide open at his blunder, runs away.*

*All three strangers are seen running outside the building with two more strangers poised outside, gluing the doors shut. All of the strangers run away as the WarioWare employees - all the familiar ones plus generic ones - run towards them. The employees smash into the glued-shut doors and try to pound through when the basement door gives way to the gushing water from the faucet. The building floods up with water, the WarioWare employees seen swimming through it.*

*Jimmy T., floating in the depths of the water, notices an emblem on the floor of the building. He picks it up and examines it - the emblem of the Brown Sugar pirates.*

To be continued...

volbound1700

Smash Master
I'm not exactly sure what I want for a new story mode as far as story goes, but I want everything the SSE tried to promise. I want a real crossover.

There should be more bosses that are actually BOSSES, not a specific order of commands and then do something when at low health. Bosses should be tricky, puzzling and have a different experience for each player.

Actually fight everyone in their respective Universe. Or atleast, if you meet a character you have to unlock, you should still have to fight them. And don't have characters like Jigglypuff, Toon Link and Wolf have nothing to do with the story and just put them in so you can unlock them faster.

Character development, a plot. Connect things together! Have characters that talk actually talk. Characters like Link or Mario who regularly don't talk should obviously not talk, it'd be out-of-character and weird anyways (although Mario did talk briefly in the Japanese version of Super Mario Sunshine).

Actually put things from outside of the story in the story. For example, actually fight on stages from the Versus mode; have a brief Classic Mode fight; have modified Event Matches.

Change things up. The SSE was usually the same: play a level, watch a cutscene, continue onwards. There should be a change to this. I was thinking of more RPG-inspired gameplay. Level up individual characters by free fighting (as in, not turn-based), have an overworld where going to a previous level gives your benefits. Have people move all around the Smash Universe looking for something, fulfilling quests, etc. etc.

However, above all, I want to learn of Master Hand's and Crazy Hand's background. Why do they exist? What's their purpose? I'd love to know more, they are really mysterious.

Oh and get rid of the Difficulty Level option. It makes bosses like Tabuu WAY too Easy and WAY too difficult. There should be a gradual increase of difficulty as you progress like, y'know, MOST OTHER games with stories (you don't see Super Mario Bros. 3 with a difficulty setting, do you?)

Indeed. Plus even if the 3DS and Wii U are inter-connected, it would be unfair and unjust for someone to purchase two copies of the game for each system.

I always thought that Smash was its own world and that Mario, Link, etc. were just copies of the real characters (think Toy Story) while Masterhand and Crazyhand controlled everything. That is what the storyline of the past 3 seem to evoke to me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Here's the next boss input that I have set up...

Galacta Knight

Galacta Knight is known as the greatest warrior in the galaxy. He first debuted in Kirby Super Star Ultra as Meta Knight's final boss in Meta Knightmare Ultra, and is also the semifinal boss of The True Arena. Galacta Knight later returns in Kirby's Return to Dream Land as the quarterfinal opponent of The True Arena.

Galacta Knight utilizes a lance and a shield, and is pretty much Meta Knight's successor.

In terms of his HP amounts...

Very Easy: 300 HP
Easy: 350 HP
Normal: 400 HP
Hard: 450 HP
Very Hard: 500 HP
Intense: 600 HP

Phase 1
During the first phase, Galacta Knight somewhat behaves like an actual fighter, but because he's a boss, he can't flinch, and is immune to all grab-related attacks.

To start off, Galacta Knight will basically pursue the player, and will attempt to attack with a series of lance strikes. While these attacks aren't heavy-hitting, they can rack up damage. He can even perform a Spin Slash, which is also a damage builder.

Galacta Knight can also attack in the air, so jumping over him can be risky. When Galacta Knight attacks in the air, he can execute a Knight Spin, which can also deal combo hits on the player. And when he hits the ground, Galacta Knight will release an energy wave to finish up; the energy wave has decent power, and it can be reflected. Galacta Knight can even go airborne in an attempt to be directly above the player. During that case, he'll attempt to attack with a downward thrust.

Galacta Knight is also capable of defending himself, which can cut the damage that he receives in half. While he won't be able to attack while defending, Galacta Knight will immediately follow up with a Spin Slash if the player stays too close to him. Galacta Knight can also perform rolling dodges at will.

Galacta Knight moves pretty fast, so trying to keep your distance from him can be tough. Also, if the player tries to run away from Galacta Knight, he'll easily fly around to intercept the player.

Throughout the first phase, Galacta Knight mainly focuses on using weak attacks that can rack up damage. He is also mostly grounded.

Phase 2
When Galacta Knight loses half of his HP, he'll briefly flinch. Afterwards, a red aura will surround him. From that point, Galacta Knight will take flight, and will start behaving like an actual boss, instead of being on the ground.

Galacta Knight will often start the second phase by flying into the background. He'll then perform a series of Ground Columns, which will create lightning strikes. The attacks pack a punch, and are capable of quickly breaking shields. After the onslaught, Galacta Knight will return to the battlefield. Galacta Knight can execute this maneuver at any time.

Another new attack to be weary of is the Revolution Beam. It can't be blocked by shields, and it can't be reflected, so sidestep dodging or simply jumping over Galacta Knight will ensure that the player will avoid the attack. The attack can deal a good amount of damage.

The Knight Beam also enters the scene, where Galacta Knight will release a series of Knight Beams all around the arena. Although they're not that strong, the beams can still rack up damage. Fortunately, the beams can be reflected, and they can even be used to damage Galacta Knight. As for the grand finale, Galacta Knight will fly into the background, and release a large arsenal of Knight Beams. They too can be reflected, but because Galacta Knight is out of attack range during that point, they can't be used against him. After the Knight Beam assault, Galacta Knight will return to the battlefield.

Galacta Knight can also fly into the background and attempt to lock onto the player. He'll then thrust forward at a high speed, which can deal a good amount of damage to the player.

The Shuttle Loop will have Galacta Knight make a quick loop, and then fly at the player at high speeds with his lance extended forward. The attack itself can pack a punch, especially since Galacta Knight will follow up with a slash attack when he's close to the player.

The Mach Tornado is also quite lethal, as not only can it rack up damage, but it also doubles as an attack that can easily deliver instant KOs. When using it, Galacta Knight will basically chase down the player, making it nearly impossible to avoid the attack, and it's also unblockable. However, the player can actually avoid the attack by grabbing onto the ledge of the battlefield.

The last new attack is the Ground Twister, which not only deals heavy damage upon contact, but it can also instantly KO the player on the harder skill levels. The twister can't be blocked by shields, and is too wide to sidestep dodge, but it can be avoided just by standing behind Galacta Knight when he prepares to initiate the attack. However, Galacta Knight is often known to fly around the player so that he'll be in front of him/her, and he's often near the edge of the battlefield while doing the attack.

Now, just like in the first phase, Galacta Knight can defend himself to cut any damage he takes in half. And he'll transition to the Spin Slash if the player stays too close to him. However, Galacta Knight can no longer do rolling dodges, since he's now flying.

Galacta Knight can still utilize the same attacks that he used in the first phase, but he'll execute them while airborne, instead of on the ground.

When Galacta Knight has lost all of his HP, he'll fall down to the ground, exhausted. If defeated in The Arena, Galacta Knight will follow up by flying out of the battlefield.

The second phase primarily has Galacta Knight focusing on attacks that deal a lot of damage, and are capable of quickly KOing players. The first phase attacks are used in close range scenarios.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Tell me if you like this idea or not.

A Story Saga mode that would work like the adventure mode from Melee except that instead of being just 1(Mario adventure level) there would be a series of levels that coincided with the Mario Bros. franchise. This mode would basically be a nastogia filled mode as all the sagas levels will be based of the character they represent. Although the number of levels in each saga will be different as some characters have a more wide, diverse and developed history. The Zelda and Mario franchises(7-9) will have more levels than say the Ice Climbers(3-4) due to them having way more games and diversity. These levels would not only include minor enemies but boss battles as well.

How it will work is you will select a saga and it will give you the characters that go with it. For example: If you select the Kirby saga you'd play as Knuckle Joe, Meta Knight and Kirby. Seeing as the villains would be bosses you wouldn't play as them the first time around. Although after you complete the entie saga the first time you will be able to use any charcters in that saga when you replay it. If there are only a few characters that can go for a saga extra lives will make up for the lack of characters. Lives replenish at the end of each level in the Saga and will start fresh.

You'll start off with 1 saga and the rest will appear as ??? until you unlock them. Unlocking a saga would be similar to a character. This mode will also be a totally seperate adventure mode from the main story mode.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman

He definitely needs to be a boss after all what's the point of having bob-ombs in the game if you don't have their kng

volbound1700

Smash Master

He definitely needs to be a boss after all what's the point of having bob-ombs in the game if you don't have their kng
The Mario series alone could give you enough bosses to make a decent SSE. Look at all the great boss battles in the Galaxy series.

Blue Warrior

Smash Apprentice
SSE was great in the cutscene department. Gameplay-wise, it barely could have been farther away from SSB's spirit. Linear, hardly notable level design, restriction on your character selection, being forced to play through the same level design twice, and very few references to any of the characters' home worlds make for a really unmemorable single player. Even SSBM's adventure mode was less cookie cutter than SSE, and that was pretty much just a small diversion from the rest of the game.

I'd ask the following things from an SSB adventure mode:
- Freedom over which character I can pick from the start
- Bosses and enemies that follows the same percentage structure as playable characters. We've already got fighting wireframes/alloys/polygons, so clearly it shouldn't be hard to balance disposable enemies with this mechanic.
- Actual enemies and environments based off of other games.
- Less flow-breaking horsecrap like water and barrel cannons, more classic platforming sections where you have to use your character's skills to overcome obstacles.
- keep in 2-player coop, that was the one good thing about SSE

and that's pretty much it

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
SSE was great in the cutscene department. Gameplay-wise, it barely could have been farther away from SSB's spirit. Linear, hardly notable level design, restriction on your character selection, being forced to play through the same level design twice, and very few references to any of the characters' home worlds make for a really unmemorable single player. Even SSBM's adventure mode was less cookie cutter than SSE, and that was pretty much just a small diversion from the rest of the game.

I'd ask the following things from an SSB adventure mode:
- Freedom over which character I can pick from the start
- Bosses and enemies that follows the same percentage structure as playable characters. We've already got fighting wireframes/alloys/polygons, so clearly it shouldn't be hard to balance disposable enemies with this mechanic.
- Actual enemies and environments based off of other games.
- Less flow-breaking horsecrap like water and barrel cannons, more classic platforming sections where you have to use your character's skills to overcome obstacles.
- keep in 2-player coop, that was the one good thing about SSE

and that's pretty much it
While I understand how frustrating it was to have to pick characters that you were potentially horrible at, I kind of understand what they tried to do there and to some extent it worked. For me, I didn't mind not having the freedom in SSE to choose my characters because I knew they wanted the characters to feel separated at the beginning, only to come together later. Also, if it makes you play every character at least a few times you might find you like that character.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Next boss concept...

Tiki Tong

Tiki Tong is the big boss of the Tiki Tak Tribe, and the one who's responsible for organizing the banana hoard theft. Like all of its minions, Tiki Tong's power source is bananas, and it can utilize the nine Tiki Leaders by turning them into hands to use for combat.

Unlike most bosses, Tiki Tong actually has three HP meters, which are its Left Hand, Right Hand, and Head. The HP values are...

Left Hand
Very Easy: 50 HP
Easy: 75 HP
Normal: 100 HP
Hard: 125 HP
Very Hard: 150 HP
Intense: 200 HP

Right Hand
Very Easy: 50 HP
Easy: 75 HP
Normal: 100 HP
Hard: 125 HP
Very Hard: 150 HP
Intense: 200 HP

Head
All Skill Levels: 100 HP

Phase 1
For the first phase, Tiki Tong's head will be in the background, while its hands are on the battlefield.

Tiki Tong will often attack by laying its hands flat, and will try to sweep the player with them. Certain characters can easily avoid the maneuver by squatting, but jumping over the hands also works.

Tiki Tong can also clap its hands together to try to damage the player. How quickly it attacks can vary, but the player will be clued as to when the hands will strike by seeing the jewels glow above them.

If Tiki Tong only has one hand left, it can still use the clap attack, but will improvise by trying to push the player off the battlefield.

Tiki Tong's third attack has it slamming one or both of its hands on the ground. If Tiki Tong only has one hand left, it may do a fake out to fool the player. If the player is caught in the attack, he/she will be temporarily buried.

On some occasions, Tiki Tong will try to grab the player with one of its hands. If it does grab the player, it'll deal damage to him/her, and then finish up by slamming the player into the ground. Fortunately, the player can break free from the hand's grip by pressing the jump button repeatedly; how quickly the player can break free depends on his/her current damage.

When a hand has lost half of its HP, it'll briefly flinch and Tiki Tong will try to wipe away the pain. Also, each hand will move faster when half of its HP is lost. Of course, if one hand is destroyed, the other hand will immediately get a speed increase, regardless of its current HP.

During the first phase, Tiki Tong may also spawn Flaming Tiki Buzzes, which will either home in on the player, or just fall in one direction.

Phase 2
When Tiki Tong loses both of its hands, its head will enter the battlefield.

Now, unlike most bosses, Tiki Tong's head always begins with the same HP value, regardless of the skill level being played. This is because Tiki Tong's head is immune to all attacks, unless its weak spot is exposed.

Tiki Tong's head will often try to crush the player by slamming itself into the ground. This attack will also create shockwaves during the process. On some occasions, Tiki Tong's crown will pop off. When this happens, Tiki Tong's head can be damaged by attacking the button that the crown would normally protect. This is the only way that the player can damage Tiki Tong's head. After a few seconds pass though, Tiki Tong will pull itself out of the ground, and get its crown back on its head. If the player doesn't get off Tiki Tong's head when that happens, he/she will get crushed by the crown, and be damaged during the process.

Tiki Tong will also attempt to swoop down at the player in an attempt to push him/her off the battlefield.

For its third attack, Tiki Tong can also release a bunch of Flaming Tiki Buzzes, which will either home in on the player, or just fall downwards.

Tiki Tong's last maneuver will have it head into the background. It'll then charge right at the player, in an attempt to send him/her flying with a powerful headbutt. It would then return back onto the battlefield.

When Tiki Tong's head has lost half of its HP, it'll free itself from the ground and reattach its crown. It'll then become enraged, and will imbue itself in a fiery aura. From that point on, Tiki Tong will start to move faster, and the player will have much less time to damage its weak spot whenever it's exposed. Also, Tiki Tong's head can now damage the player with fire effects, just by touching him/her, but when it exposes its weak spot, the ability is negated until it puts its crown back on.

When Tiki Tong's head has lost all of its HP, it'll free itself from the ground and reattach its crown. But then, it'll start to cry out in pain before collapsing onto the battlefield.

Waver

Smash Cadet
NNID
WaverJR
3DS FC
2964-8605-0439
Switch FC
SW-1450-5084-6730
Oh! I have an idea for a story. I apologize in advance if it's too similar to Sonic Generation's plot.

[COLLAPSE="The starting idea."]Now what if it started with Sakurai's star, Kirby?

*Cutscene starts*

The innocent pink puff Kirby takes a nice, casual stroll around his cute world, Dreamland. Then Kirby found a letter addressed to him from anonymous.
Master of games, Master Hand!
Kirby looks up at the sky with the usual oblivious look.

*The scene fades to a gameplay part*

Stage 1

Stage: Dreamland Grassland
Character: Kirby
Stage Type: Tutorial
Enemies: Waddle Dee, Bronto Burt, Waddle Doo, Sir Kibble, Poppy Bro Jr, that dog enemy from Kirby's Dreamland(forgot the name^^')
Description: You run through the bright and happy world of Dreamland! The stage teaches you the combat style of Smash Bros; step by step, but still on the move. Reach the goal (warpstar) and a cutscene will start.

*Another cutscene*

As the Warpstar takes Kirby to the meeting spot,(
Battlefield
) he reads the letter more carefully and gets happy and lets out cute shout. As he excitedly shouted, the Warpstar flew at hyper speed in a similar fashion to the Starship Enterprise.

*Cutscene ends*
[/COLLAPSE]
Well this is the first stage I had in mind. What do you think?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I am against that Tiki's inclusion.

Recycling old Boss concepts for a FINAL boss was a horrible idea, and why DKCR comes nowhere near the original.

I enjoyed the game, but it doesn't match the original series, partially because of that

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Vs. Regice, Regirock, Bowser, and Regigigas!

So, it start out in a cavern. It shows Luigi and Lucario (Cutscene) walking in the cavern, trying to find the way out, when Luigi notices that there are six dots on the ground. Luigi gets Lucario to notice, but when he does, they start glowing. Lucario's ears perk up, and he looks towards where he was walking. A piece of the rocky wall of the cavern breaks off. Luigi worries, but Lucario puts a paw on Luigi's shoulder, nods, and then runs inside. Luigi follows.

~VS REGIROCK~
After passing through the tunnel (In gameplay) Lucario and Luigi make it to a quiet, rocky room. In front of them is a door that is icy blue. Lucario walks to it, when, dropping from the ceiling, Regirock gets in front of him. Sensing him, Lucario looks up (Before Regirock lands) and steps back. Regirock bashes his arms together, and sounds his cry (From the anime). The battle begins.

As you battle him, you'll realize he's very slow, but powerful. His attacks involve throwing rocks at you, slamming you with his arms, and shooting Hyper Beams after his HP is dropped alot. The Rocks can be bounced back by Fox (If in Boss Battle Mode), and his Hyper Beams can be blocked in three ways: First off, it's a one character- tall beam, and is fired straight forward. It lasts as long as (For example) Dialga and Palkia's Hyper Beam-moves. Either jump over them, hit him alot before he fires it, or if you play as Luigi, use B^ near him, and it'll knock him back a bit and make him stagger a bit. After defeating him, a new cutscene will begin.

Regirock, defeated, glows, and then disappears. The icy-blue door then opens up. Lucario nods, then waves Luigi over. Luigi points at the entrance (from where they came) but Lucario ignores it and moves forward. Luigi follows.

~VS Regice~
After passing the icy tunnel, it turns into a cutscene. Much like the last one, except Regice was already there. Lucario gets into battle position, but Luigi, being the coward he is, puts up his hands (in karate chop postion) but is shaking.

Just to clarify, all the Regis (Except their leader) have the same strategies. However, Regice will shoot Ice beams at you from below the ground, and when he hits you with his arms, you might freeze. Once again, Luigi's B^ can auto-stop Hyper Beam, which btw takes 3 seconds to fire (Faster, the higher the difficulty).

Once defeated, Regice will glow, then disappear. Behind him is a rusty iron door. It simply falls over. Smoke comes from behind it. Lucario, with crossed arms, tilts his head, then runs in. Luigi follows.

~VS Bowser~
Instead of going through a tunnel, you'll see a mine kart. Take it, and like the Donkey Kong Country games, you'll control the kart, passing enemie Koopa Troopas, who also are in karts, jumping over death holes, and near the end, you get off the kart. Running forward, you'll keep running, and the screen will close in black.

After making it through, Lucario finds Registeel defeated, and disappearing. The door behind him, made of gold, opens. Bowser, laughing, turns, seeing Lucario and Luigi. Bowser, with his roar, begins the smash-battle

(Battle is like a smash battle, and not a boss battle.}

When you beat Bowser, he won't trophify (Suggesting you didn't beat him yet). The tunnel starts to shake. Bowser runs through the new passage. Lucario and Luigi follow him. But when they enter the room, they see Bowser again, but trophifed, and thrown to the wall. Lucario turns, only to dodge an oncoming Stomp attack. Regigigas appears.

~VS Regigigas~
It starts off as a run, as you run away from Regigigas (Like the Porky scene) You have to break boxes and rocks out of the way from your running path as Regigigas follows you. After alwhile, running away from him, a cutscene begins, showing Lucario and Luigi being cornered after running. Just as Regigigas approaches, a giant, flaming V appears, hitting Regigigas. The fireballs lands in front of Lucario and Luigi. Who is the fireball? Newcomer Victini!

So, playing only as Victini, he has to defeat Regigigas. Regigigas attacks with powerful, but slow, punches, stomps, and one grab attack: Crush Grip. If he grabs you, he crushes you like Master Hand does (Except you can see your head). You escape him by mashing the buttons on your controller (Like you would normally). After halfway through his HP bar, he'll glow lighter than before. Slow Start has lost it's affect. Now Regigigas is faster and stronger. His Crush Grip squishes more, as well.

After defeating Regigigas, he will see Victini as the winner. He'll present Victini with a treasure chest. Lucario and Luigi approach, and Victini turns, giving them the treasure inside. Lucario smiles, then gives Luigi and Victini a high five. That concludes the chapter. After the chapter, you unlock Victini as a playable character.

Just an idea that was forming in my head. Sorry for not explaining how they fight much, but hey hey hey I thought it was okay. I'll explain what happened before this chapter at a later date. It tells of why Luigi follows Lucario in his treasure hunt.

ItsSilverLPs

Banned via Warnings
For me, what they actually should:
Keep from SSE:
-2 player co-op (or even make a 4 player co-op similar to NSMBWii/U and Kirby's RTDL)
-non-individualized stories and even forcing you choose a pre-determinated roster. These things make more possible a better story IMO. Or maybe you could be only adding members to a big group, somewhat like a RPG.
-The awesome cutscenes
-Non-dialogue cutscenes. Characters like Link, R.O.B., G&W and others never talked, others like Olimar, Zelda, Luigi and Mario never had full voice dialogue (only text), and some voice dialogues of some characters weren't well accepted (for example, Peach and Bowser at Mario Sunshine)

Change from SSE:
-Make it unlockable. Unlock it after unlocking all characters (if unlocking two modes at the same time, this and All Starl, is a issue, make All Star unlockable after finishing Classic with all characters)
-The generic scenario. Nintendo-fy it (and of course, include few elements from the third parties)
-Explain better the story.
-Add sidequests
-Add unlockables like exclusive music, trophies, stickers, concept art, or even stages and masterpieces demos.

Anyway, that's how I feel the Adventure Mode should be.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I truly like the idea of the story mode being a Metroidvania with the fighting elements of SSB, it could give a sense of exploration and have secret areas with achievements or mini-games that could be based on other gameplay styles or references to other Nintendo games, rewarding with items or trophies. they could also add some RPG elements to improve your characters.

as for the story, Ganondorf could be the main villain and the final boss, because it's very fitting for him. his motivation would be dominating the many worlds.

I'd also like the story to feature the many worlds of Nintendo games, like Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, many planets from Metroid, Star Fox and F-Zero, Angel Land, the Fire Emblem continents, like Akaneia or Tellius, among others. in a Metroidvania style, they could put portals linking the many worlds.

bombers14

Smash Apprentice
I truly like the idea of the story mode being a Metroidvania with the fighting elements of SSB, it could give a sense of exploration and have secret areas with achievements or mini-games that could be based on other gameplay styles or references to other Nintendo games, rewarding with items or trophies. they could also add some RPG elements to improve your characters.

as for the story, Ganondorf could be the main villain and the final boss, because it's very fitting for him. his motivation would be dominating the many worlds.

I'd also like the story to feature the many worlds of Nintendo games, like Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, many planets from Metroid, Star Fox and F-Zero, Angel Land, the Fire Emblem continents, like Akaneia or Tellius, among others. in a Metroidvania style, they could put portals linking the many worlds.
Yes he is trying to take over but bowser is also trying to do the same thing but does not work with ganondorf for what happened last game so two seperate villains trying to get the same goal. Wolf and let's say leon or general scales make it in ssb4 are only trying to hunt down fox and falco so it makes it seem like the characters actually know eachother and have chemistry.

My opinion say ridley and k. rool make it in, they should work with bowser and ganondorf is on his own unless zant or ghirahim show up.​

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
[COLLAPSE="Twinbellows"]Boss Twinbellows

The two-headed dog that acts as a recurring character in Kid Icarus appears as a boss in the adventure mode of this game. Twinbellows is the first boss that is encountered in the adventure mode and confronts Mario and Luigi as they attempt to rescue Princess Peach from Bowser and Medusa in the Mushroom Kingdom. After a short cutscene the two brothers take on Twinbellows.

Phase 1
When first battling Twinbellows the battle will be rather simple and his attacks would consist of attempting to swipe at you with his claws and ramming at you at a rather slow speed. He will also ignite himself in a burst of fire that can burn you if you stay too far away from him.

Phase 2
After receiving a decent amount of damage Twinbellows will switch up his attacking strategy. Instead of simply clawing at you and lunging he'll spew small fireballs at you that will deal a decent amount of damage. If you keep a distance from him he'll cloak himself in fire and throw himself at you at a high speed.

Phase 3
Once nearly defeated Twinbellows will leap back a bit and launch a powerful stream of fire at you instead of the tiny fireballs. His flamethrower attack is pretty much a more powerful version of the Fireflower. In this final phase he will also use all the attacks he used against you earlier in the battle.

Upon being defeated Twinbellows will changed into a trophy like state and mysteriously disintegrate. Mario and Luigi proceed onward only to find out that Bowser and Medusa have already left the scene with Peach gone instead they find Toad in a trophy state. [/COLLAPSE]

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I like the metroidvania concept too.
But I would also like a linear strupture that can follow multiple paths like in Starfox 64, or even Out Run (and we are talking of an ooooold game with multiple paths). Determinated by choices in the cutscenes dialogues or decisions during the boss fights. Former sample: One boss is a purple two headed dragon that splits in two dragons, one red and one blu, and you can beat him only by killing one of them when it's plitted. Then the other dragon escapes and you have to chase him. If you kill the blue dragon you have to chase the red dragon forward the desert, if you kill the red dragon you have to chase the blue dragon forward the pole. And from there the path splits more, and more, and more...
So you can play the story mode multiple times and follow differents paths.

Junahu

Smash Ace
While even I had a few issues with the SSE as it was presented, I felt it wasn't explicitly "bad" (just misguided)

• Levels were designed for every character to play through (everyone from Ganondorf to Sonic). This is extremely limiting, and forces levels to become predictable and samey in their structure. The next SSE should lock characters to levels, so that the levels can be specifically tailored to their abilities and made more interesting.
  • The progression of levels was linear, but the story being presented was not. It was a story of multiple teams in their own adventures, but the player was required to go through those adventures piece by piece. Multiple paths should be open from the start, with the player able to progress through that path all the way through. A final confrontation can be unlocked once enough of the paths have been completed
  • As most people have stated already, the SSE invented its own world and enemies, when players really wanted to see familiar and iconic elements of all the characters' series muddled together. The SSE could have been an excellent opportunity to spread awareness of the lesser known Nintendo franchises, by weaving elements of each game's gameplay/structure/pacing, into the levels based around them.
  • The actual underlieing emotions in the plot were too subtle and touched upon too lightly for players to notice or become attached to. Conflicts such as the Link vs Mario one are over too quickly and not given enough weight within the story. Simply sticking to one team for their entire journey would have helped foster a better connection to them and their story.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Aside from boss attacks and enemy ideas, I'm quite looking forward to seeing more refined and easier to understand character interaction. SSE tried to do so but it shafted it bit too quickly to just get into the gameplay again.

Which characters you think would make great friends or rivals? And how they would be like with each other during the Story Mode?

I might start with Isaac and Starfy. According to Golden Sun, the crew from that game hasn't ever seen an ocean before
(expect near end game)
, so I wondered if Starfy would ever "tell" Isaac about how is an ocean like. You know, it'll be this one cutscene that doesn't contribute to the story much whatsoever but it would be this crowning moment of heartwarming and can bond two characters bit more together with each other.

I dunno, something like that.

- Story Mode could have a running gag of Wario attempting to steal Prince Sable's humongous amount of money but always fails in a way or another

- Pit might look over Toad as a bit of a "weakling" for a bodyguard, but Toad manages to prove him wrong once in a dire need of a rescue. (Using his speed and power-combo)

- Saki would be once be turned into his Ruffian-form, being controlled by *insert Big Bad of the Story Mode here* and has to be defeated to be brought back to normal. T quote Javacroc from the old New Smash Bros 4-thread...

Saki in his Ruffian is normally controlled by the villains to hunt down the heroes, but at one point, Saki regains control and saves his victims before he loses control again to show Saki is still sympathetic for the victims, but unable to stop himself.
You, that like. (-l.l-)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
One of my interaction inputs involve Rosalina, Yoshi, Kirby, and a Luma (a non-playable character). It first starts out with Rosalina's Comet Observatory being invaded by enemies. Rosalina attempts to defend it, but one of her Lumas gets knocked off the observatory, and falls down to the surface in the form of a shooting star.

From there, the scene switches to Kirby, who starts out doing his own business, but soon spots the shooting star. He goes after it, which ends up in a wooded area. Inside the woods, Yoshi would be seen sleeping, but would soon get woken up by the shooting star hitting him in the face. Yoshi recovers from the hit to see that the star is actually a Luma. From there, Kirby appears to find out what happened. The two decide to help the Luma find its "mama".

Eventually, the three would be attacked by enemy forces, but they'd soon be saved by Rosalina, which the Luma refers to as "mama". Rosalina would then thank Yoshi and Kirby for keeping her Luma safe, and they decide to stick together throughout the story.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Sakurai has been known to use the Kirby games into almost everything he makes. It's his stuck-on inspiration. Compare the below, for example:

SSBB:
Porky (Chase Scene): Heavy Lobster
Ridley: Dyna Blade

Challenge Mode: Kirby Air Ride Challenge Mode

And that's just the hair of his madness.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
here's an idea. why not just make the adventure mode unique to each character.

something like this:

Mario sees bowser trying to kidnapp the princess...again. He rushes but doesn't make it in time, so he goes through the worlds trying to save the princess. A series of misunderstandings lead him to fight certain "pre-unlocked" characters (such as the captain, fox, kirby, etc.) and occationally a couple of unlockable characters to unlock them (if he ends up beating Mr. L, then luigi will help him. like in super paper mario) . When he gets to his goal and rescues peach, he realizes that he has a big problem (think taboo) and he and other characters fix this final boss. (moderate difficulty)

Fox is in space being a boss and he detects this final boss and starts searching for answers. A misunderstanding leads him to believe that mario (who's searching for his princess) is working for this final boss (that's able to use mind control) and they start fighting. In a cutscene, fox continues to fight but his beeper alerts him to another clue and falco has ben taken by this boss via mindcontrol, and they fight. You win, you unlock falco and he helps you coop style, looking for revenge.

Bowser is bored and hatches up a plan to rule the world, and decides to kidnapp the princess. first fight is with peach on a time limit because mario is rushing to save her. if you win, then you take peach trophy style.

all characters have individual story modes and all characters interact using motives from thier story modes

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Level idea:
So I was playing through SSE again recently and I had an idea for a level: what if the level you first met Snake in was an actual stealth level? Maybe snake lost all his equipment and can't use any of his weapons and has to get into/out of some kind of base without being detected by whoever operates it?

Story idea:
While I'm not the biggest Metroid Prime fan, one of the things I did like about the game was the logs Samus could find. Samus would find these in various computers and could download them to read at any time. These gave bits of information about the world without having to drag the narrative to a halt for an exposition dump. Now, one of the biggest problems about SSE was how little we knew about the world. Who is Tabuu? What is Subspace? What's up with the penguin badges? In a new story mode, players could find logs in various computers scattered about that informed us about all of the stuff we need to know.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Another aspect of the Adventure Mode I think could make it more interesting is the playability of villains. While I don't think they necessarily have to join your team right off the bat, it would be nice to play as them before the final level. Bowser, for example, could get a level to himself as he travels from his castle to raid Peach's, or Ridley could get one chasing through a stage in pursuit of Samus.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
here's an idea. why not just make the adventure mode unique to each character.

something like this:

Mario sees bowser trying to kidnapp the princess...again. He rushes but doesn't make it in time, so he goes through the worlds trying to save the princess. A series of misunderstandings lead him to fight certain "pre-unlocked" characters (such as the captain, fox, kirby, etc.) and occationally a couple of unlockable characters to unlock them (if he ends up beating Mr. L, then luigi will help him. like in super paper mario) . When he gets to his goal and rescues peach, he realizes that he has a big problem (think taboo) and he and other characters fix this final boss.
(moderate difficulty)

Fox is in space being a boss and he detects this final boss and starts searching for answers. A misunderstanding leads him to believe that mario (who's searching for his princess) is working for this final boss (that's able to use mind control) and they start fighting. In a cutscene, fox continues to fight but his beeper alerts him to another clue and falco has ben taken by this boss via mindcontrol, and they fight. You win, you unlock falco and he helps you coop style, looking for revenge.

Bowser is bored and hatches up a plan to rule the world, and decides to kidnapp the princess. first fight is with peach on a time limit because mario is rushing to save her. if you win, then you take peach trophy style.

all characters have individual story modes and all characters interact using motives from thier story modes
continuing from lack of time

Link notices so things going awry in hyrule and thinks ganon is behind it, they fight and you beat ganon and then he joins you

Ganon nontices the same changes and thinks link is behind it, they fight and you win and link joins your party.

Kirby sees dreamland turning into nightmares, and looks for answers...you know what comes next.

Falco has a story line similar to fox's, where he notices a disturbance and he and fox are early on working together like they do in starfox. but falco has to jet because that doggone beeper keeps telling him that he has to split. and then falco comes aross a clue, but this Final Boss takes control of his mind and makes him do evil. (now you play as falco on the bad side until fox comes and saves his tail from becoming thanksgiving dinner!) ":falco::Gee, I've been saved by :fox:! How swell!"

In The End the characters have their own story to tell from each story mode and their own distinct motives and reasons for doing what they did. They beat the crap out of this boss and peace is restored to their respective lands in the nintendoverse...and then the villains go right back to doing what they do.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Well, this is a cutscene I dreamt one night:
Captain Falcon is chasing Wario. Then he makes him against a wall and Wario starts shaking his hands in a no-no way. Captain Falcon does "FALCONNNNN P...." ZZAP!
Wario uncovers his eyes and sees the fire hawk of Captain Falcon petrified an half inch from his nose. After a gasp he touches him and gives a sigh of rerielef. Then he hears a laugh and sees Barbara The Bat on the top of something with a petrifing cannon in her hands. After she jumps down Wario is "%§#%ç§$&ç%#!!". Then she slaps him and murmur something at his ear. And Wario's eyes are $_$.
Gameplay and then cutscene:
Wario is carring the petrified Captain Falcon on his back while Barbara is reaching a wall on the side of a mountain. He checks a map and then he makes sign to Wario to pose Captain Falcon right before the wall.
Then she steps back with the cannon pointed to Captain Falcon. Wario touches the trophy stand of Captain Falcon and he is "...UNCH!!" and breaks the wall of the moutain, revealing a hidden cavern. He moves his head around confused and Wario points his finger to him. But Barbara changes her target and petrifies Wario instead. Then she enters the cavern and winks an eye to cap, making him sign to follow her. Cap scrathes his head (from over his elmet) confused, then he makes a dunno pose and follows her.

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo has a lot of material to make the PERFECT adventure game. They have the characters, the places, the nostalgia. Subspace Emisary was good, but only that. One exaple is the avengers movie... epic. I want 2 see al nintendo characters in an epic adventure mode. I want a story that surrounds, something immersive, not only an adventure mode done quickly and without emotion :/ Masahiro, see avengers please

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Nintendo has a lot of material to make the PERFECT adventure game. They have the characters, the places, the nostalgia. Subspace Emisary was good, but only that. One exaple is the avengers movie... epic. I want 2 see al nintendo characters in an epic adventure mode. I want a story that surrounds, something immersive, not only an adventure mode done quickly and without emotion :/ Masahiro, see avengers please
Do you think we can have something like that and with choices, and maybe, different endings?

RedGamer

Smash Ace
my adventure mode idea (see posts above) kinda leaned towards sonic heroes, how you pick a team and play that teams' timeline, and the timelines are explained with their own motives and such only for all the teams to fight a boss at the end.

I believe that this would work with nintendo characters as well. Just pick a character and he has his own story line that explains his actions as well as his motives behind them. And then all the characters realize that it was a misunderstanding and they all team up to fight this boss at the end.

Do you think we can have something like that and with choices, and maybe, different endings?
Edit: It would be cool if each character had their own ending.

One of my interaction inputs involve Rosalina, Yoshi, Kirby, and a Luma (a non-playable character). It first starts out with Rosalina's Comet Observatory being invaded by enemies. Rosalina attempts to defend it, but one of her Lumas gets knocked off the observatory, and falls down to the surface in the form of a shooting star.

From there, the scene switches to Kirby, who starts out doing his own business, but soon spots the shooting star. He goes after it, which ends up in a wooded area. Inside the woods, Yoshi would be seen sleeping, but would soon get woken up by the shooting star hitting him in the face. Yoshi recovers from the hit to see that the star is actually a Luma. From there, Kirby appears to find out what happened. The two decide to help the Luma find its "mama".

Eventually, the three would be attacked by enemy forces, but they'd soon be saved by Rosalina, which the Luma refers to as "mama". Rosalina would then thank Yoshi and Kirby for keeping her Luma safe, and they decide to stick together throughout the story.
Double Edit: upon reading this post, I realized that not everybody has to fight each other before teaming up. this luma idea is pretty cool.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Personally I say don't even do an adventure mode, it was repetitive and boring towards the end of melee, and the SSE was terrible in brawl. I play smash bros to fight intense battles in either 1v1 or 2v2 or 3v1 or whatever. I do not want to walk on a linear path and fight goombas koopas and octorcts, I would play mario or zelda for that. This is smash bros, just make the story mode be a tournament where you fight a rival in the final battle. If they want to add depth to that bring back the stickers which you can purchase in a shop and equip making your character stronger... or do it stamina style and have certain stickers increase max health. Just make it short and feel fresh with different characters.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The thing is though, an adventure involving enemies from all the different franchises is something that you won't see outside of the Super Smash Bros. series. Why not take full advantage of this fact by improving where the Subspace Emissary failed at!?

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
After reading a lot of this thread I decided to go back the re-play the subspace before making my post as it didn't take that long when you rush through it lol.

Overall I agree with the views that it's a.) repetitive, and b.) the story isn't there it's loose and not really explained, and c.) ya the subspace really does come off like a kirby game. Good things about it though are the cut scenes are still awesome and a lot of fun to watch. I really like the concept that they turn to statues when defeated and I think this should be a big part of the drive in the next game. Maybe something where the big bad guy is some long forgotten enemy that was defeated (possibly by master and crazy hand) and turned into a trophy that was locked away and maybe Wario in search for treasure stumbles upon this old enemy and accidentally wakes him/her/it up. And the more evil characters are easily swayed to its control thus providing villains for the game and possibly even some of the heroes are also taken under its control. And thus the quest to bring down this ancient foe begins. Or something like that lol.

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
I liked Brawl's story and the multiple teams made the game more exciting.Voice acting just wouldn't work.Some characters can't talk,some talk very little and some talk in text only.I'd prefer something like Brawl's.

:phone:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I liked Brawl's story and the multiple teams made the game more exciting.Voice acting just wouldn't work.Some characters can't talk,some talk very little and some talk in text only.I'd prefer something like Brawl's.

:phone:
I agree! Gesture communication can work finely too. I learned it not only from SSB Brawl but even from the cartoon Oscar's Oasis. If you have ever seen it:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom