• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Story Mode & Adventure Mode~ Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
oh okay sorry i always seem to overlook things.
It's no problem. Just keep an eye out for other threads before posting them. Duplicate threads are usually locked (which prevents replies from being posted on it) theres also a list of character threads in the SSB4 character discussion section, just letting you know in case you decide to post a thread for a possible SSB4 character. I made the same mistake when I first joined the boards.

Also, be careful not to double post.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
This is a copy of a comment I made on this blog post by HextupleyooDOT regarding his ideas for an SSB4 story mode, which is an excellent post I recommend reading. My expectations for Adventure Mode have changed since 2011, obviously, so it's based on an outdated expectation of an SSE-style big story mode, but I think it'd still be a cool idea to implement even if Adventure Mode is shorter if Master Hand and Crazy Hand play a part in the mode.

Anyways, in relation to your own story idea, Hex, I've thought of an idea to implement Crazy Hand as a sort of sub-plot character to the main storyline while retaining Master Hand as the final boss.

Basically, there are specific points in the story where Master Hand would normally change the progess of events regarding certain characters. For example, as you suggested, he could swap Link and Mario's places and have them fight in the other's world for the other's goal - he is the Master, he controls all up to the point when characters realize their potential.

However, at some of these select points, the player can trigger Crazy Hand to appear instead of Master Hand and shape the story and world of the characters in his own different way.

Given that Crazy Hand is... well, crazy, these transformations would be unpredictable in nature and lead to alternative story scenarios. As examples of this:

A Mario Versus Bowser Fight: Under Master Hand, the brawl is your average, classic Mario Vs. Bowser duel. Under Crazy Hand, Bowser halfway through the battle transforms into Giga Bowser, greatly morphing the challenge of the boss battle.

Fire Emblem: This is a more extreme example, but an example nevertheless. In the Fire Emblem games, when an ally dies, they can never be retrieved. Suppose Ike and Marth were fighting against the Black Knight in one segment of the story, and Marth fell back onto the ground, struggling to keep up. The Black Knight raises his sword and is about to finish Marth.

Under Master Hand, Marth dodges in the last second and the fight continues normally with both Marth and Ike victorious and alive. Under Crazy Hand, the Black Knight successfully "slays" Marth, transforming him into trophy status. The Black Knight follows his initial attack with a final strike at Marth's trophy, shattering Marth's figure and rendering him dead and irretrievable. Ike then defeats the Black Knight on his own. According to this take on the story, from this point on, Marth is dead and is no longer a playable ally on your Adventure Mode team; Ike must continue on by himself.

Bramble Blast: This example plays on both Nintendo nostalgia and the crazy side of Crazy Hand. Suppose Diddy Kong is progressing through a DK-themed level similar to the classic Bramble Blast level of DKC2, but of course with a different layout, graphics matching up with the rest of the game's levels, and with this Brawl remix of Stickerbrush Symphony playing.

Under Master Hand, this level progresses normally and doesn't change from it's basic design. Under Crazy Hand, at one point in the level, the stage tranforms into an exact replica of the Bramble Blast level from DKC2 - graphics, layout, the original music, everything but Diddy Kong's graphics. The level, at the end of this Bramble Blast level, transforms back into it's normal form at the very end of the level. The story progresses the same after this level as it does with Master Hand, but this particular level is transformed.

Those are just some examples. Under this concept, Crazy Hand wouldn't necessarily be a main villain in the story, but a sub-plot that introduces alternative story and level scenarios - which would increase replayability as a side benefit.

Megazero64

Smash Apprentice
It's no problem. Just keep an eye out for other threads before posting them. Duplicate threads are usually locked (which prevents replies from being posted on it) theres also a list of character threads in the SSB4 character discussion section, just letting you know in case you decide to post a thread for a possible SSB4 character. I made the same mistake when I first joined the boards.

Also, be careful not to double post.
ok sorry for the trouble.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I say back that what we need now is some high crazyness. And I mean high as under LSD:

If you are old as me you probably miss the time when videogames plots didn't need to make sense and all could happen. It was working back them and I think it can work even now if, rather than tying to construct a convincing plot we simply exalt the absurdities and the stereotypes of old school classic gaming.
"Hey! You look like a boss I already beaten, but with a different colour." "He was my brother!" "Really? I thought the game designers where just lazy." "I'll show you that I'm different, and stronger!".
"Wait! Wait! Wait! Hold on a second! We don't need to search a key. This door is made of wood. We could simply blast it off." *the door magically turns from wood to metal* "What the heck!?" "It's iridium. The strongest metal ever!" "Damn! This is not fair! It was just made of wood before I... Talked... OK! Let's go search the darn key!".

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I'm bumping. Trying to make an effective Adventure Mode Map and story, using all character threads for ideas.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
They need to split up each series into sections. With each of their gimmicks crossing over into gameplay, but making the user character the main hero.
So in the Legend of Zelda section Ganondorf kidnaps Zelda, but if you're playing as Fox you battle Link during the journey so you can be the one rescuing Zelda.
Imagine Kirby rescuing Zelda, or Sonic rescuing Peach.

The world you start in depends on whatever character you choose.
Select Fox you start in the Star Fox franchise, select DK you being in the Donkey Kong world.
You choose Pikachu and you finally reach the Mushroom Kingdom stage.

Going to Mushroom Kingdom where you see Bowser kidnapping Princess Peach with Mario in hot pursuit.
You travel across battling enemies much like in Melee.
Finally you reach a distressed Mario who you battle.
You continue on your journey until you reach a spot where you suddenly fall through the ground and land in front of a huge mansion.
You enter inside and fight Boos as you go until you find a possessed Luigi.
You battle him in his new interior Luigi's Mansion stage.
Once you defeat him he reveals a way to get back up to the surface.
You finally reach Bowser's castle and have to travel through it fighting enemies until you reach his chambers.
Battle Bowser and when he's defeated you free Princess Peach.
It cuts back to her castle when suddenly she goes insane.
The final battle is fighting Peach.

Playing Adventure mode with Mario, Luigi, Peach or Bowser would alter the Mushroom Kingdom storyline somehow. Playing as Luigi you would battle Mario and Bowser to rescue Peach.
Playing as Peach you would battle Luigi and Bowser to rescue Mario.
Playing as Bowser you would battle all three to take over Peach's Castle

Adventure Mode needs to bring all the characters and their franchises together and mesh them together.
I liked Brawl's, but they brought all the characters together into a fictional world.
Subspace Emissary would have been so much better if the Ancient Minister went to different franchise worlds and took sections and through them all together.
Running through Hyrule Field one minute, then running across Mushroom Kingdom the next would have been a much more fun experience.

ScottSan

Smash Cadet
So as we all know, the SSE is officially out (unless by some chance, Sakurai decides to bring it back).

I've scimmed and scanned a little of this thread, but have decided to write a response because I've also had a few ideas of myself. The SSE was, like the OP stated, a mess. A complete and utter disaster. There were no emotional character bonds (besides Lucas, if even that), the mysterious appearance of a few characters that made no sense (Sonic at the end...wah?), and worse, the story-line: There is none.

The main thing that I've noticed, however, was the balance between Good Characters, and Evil Characters. No matter if they were going to go for the old-fashioned "Adventure Mode" like in Melee, or do a complete re-vamp of SSE, I think they should equally balance-out the Good v Evil, as to give it more of a fair perspective on the situation, especially if we're doing some big-bad dude behind the scenes pulling all of the strings, we need as many people to help that guy out as possible, you know? I mean, the Good EASILY outweigh the bad, so I think I have a suggestion for that: For every good person in the game, put in their rival. That simple. Here's a few examples:

Mario v Wario
Luigi v Waluigi
Peach v Bowser
Fox v Wolf
Falco v Leon
Ness v Gigygas
Sonic v Dr. Eggman

...and the list could just keep going on and on. Here are some more suggestions of mine (and fellow Smashers):

a) Balance out the Good and the Evil (mentioned above)
b) MAKE. A. STORY. LINE. And not only that, but have the characters (or at-least, some of the characters) talk. Or if it's going to be like an RPG, make it to where the player has to choose, not to where it's always decided for you. Like if you engage in a battle with a foe, you have the choice to either: a) Let them go, b) Interrogate them, c) ask them to join, d) etc etc etc.
c) Being able to choose between the Good and the Evil story-lines (e.g. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle; that's a good example)
d) Customizing. Ah, that sounds familiar; the stickers, remember? But this time, make it where we get EXP/Money each round, so that way we can visit shops, buy new armor, etc.

Just a few ideas of mine, anyway.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
My idea:

Each character has their own specific storyline. It's all one big storyline that eventually joins together. Each story has a few differing stages from others. (many stages are shared, but some are unique to one story) and cutscenes exist, but meaning of the scenes and the plot are more clear this time around. (voice acting? I'm not sure about it) some characters from different storylines will appear, trying to acomplish their goal, but the protagonist of the story, regardless of whether his or her intentions are for good or not, must defeat this character.

A few stages are unique to the game, but most are based around other games. (the SSE was seriously lacking in Nintendo content, particularly in stages in the backround, theme, and design)

Items can also be turned off. Stickers still exist with the same purpose as in SSE, and shops where you can buy equippable items, stickers, and trophies, as well as bonus stages can be found in a few stages. Shops are run by a number of different characters with differing items, some shop keepers include: Beedle (from Zelda) Tom Nook (from Animal Crossing) and Broque Monsier. (from M&L Bowser's Inside Story)

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
I'd like to see something close to what Melee gave us. You select a character and venture through all of nintendo's worlds BUT instead of fighting characters from the roster, you fight primarily enemies from that world (with the exception of some playable characters I guess). :estatic:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
My idea:

Each character has their own specific storyline. It's all one big storyline that eventually joins together. Each story has a few differing stages from others. (many stages are shared, but some are unique to one story) and cutscenes exist, but meaning of the scenes and the plot are more clear this time around. (voice acting? I'm not sure about it) some characters from different storylines will appear, trying to acomplish their goal, but the protagonist of the story, regardless of whether his or her intentions are for good or not, must defeat this character.

A few stages are unique to the game, but most are based around other games. (the SSE was seriously lacking in Nintendo content, particularly in stages in the backround, theme, and design)

Items can also be turned off. Stickers still exist with the same purpose as in SSE, and shops where you can buy equippable items, stickers, and trophies, as well as bonus stages can be found in a few stages. Shops are run by a number of different characters with differing items, some shop keepers include: Beedle (from Zelda) Tom Nook (from Animal Crossing) and Broque Monsier. (from M&L Bowser's Inside Story)
I approve! It does overlap with my hourglass storyline idea:
Each char has an unique starting storyline. reflecting the stereotypes of his/her games but running faster than usual (think of a typical Super Mario game with all the eight worlds codensed in one stage), and all the storilines are then converging into a massive one that then can follow different paths, leading to different endings.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I approve! It does overlap with my hourglass storyline idea:
Each char has an unique starting storyline. reflecting the stereotypes of his/her games but running faster than usual (think of a typical Super Mario game with all the eight worlds codensed in one stage), and all the storilines are then converging into a massive one that then can follow different paths, leading to different endings.
Alternate endings sound good too, it wouldn't take up too much extra memory, (right?) sounds good to me!

Also, the idea of playing as Mario playing a level that transitions through a grassy plain, a desert, a snow covered plain, a tropical island, high mountains, the sky, and a volcanoic land in that order all in one level sounds awesome.

Me and Gimer approve. :088:

Imagine the possibilites with Kirby and Zelda levels.

The Great Maze kind of did a similar thing for Zelda, it looked kind of like of mashup of several dungeons from Ocarina of Time to me.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Ideas for opponents in single player:
-Item golems
-Assist trophy summons
-An amorphous being that learns quickly and changes its stats and moves in battle based on how you fight him, adapting to counter your style
-A powered-up AI-controlled version of a superveteran character that can use any move or variation of a move that he/she had since Smash 64
-Characters that were cut from any Smash game, given more power and improved

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Mario, Sonic, Megaman, and Pacman have been hired by Solid snake to save the gaming industry. portal's have opened all accross nintendo, Sega, Capcom, and Namco's world's releasing COD Halo and BF soldiers, Purple dragons, and pony's... Mario can now only wear his NES Open Tournament Golf suit.... and he gets a shield, While sonic turns into a warehog when he gets angry. Megaman now has an orange and red suit that allow him to fly around and shoot missile's, and pacman has a hammer. Good story?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Mario, Sonic, Megaman, and Pacman have been hired by Solid snake to save the gaming industry. portal's have opened all accross nintendo, Sega, Capcom, and Namco's world's releasing COD Halo and BF soldiers, Purple dragons, and pony's... Mario can now only wear his NES Open Tournament Golf suit.... and he gets a shield, While sonic turns into a warehog when he gets angry. Megaman now has an orange and red suit that allow him to fly around and shoot missile's, and pacman has a hammer. Good story?
Moved your post to the Story Mode discussion thread.
Sakurai has already confirmed that there will not be a story mode so this thread was moved off of the front page of this section, but it'd be nice if all discussion on story mode was kept in this thread.

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
I'm picturing an Adventure Mode similar to Yoshi's Story or Starfox. I know we have different paths in classic mode, but this would be a little more in-depth. You start out with as standard stage, and depending on how you perform and if you fulfill certain criteria, you would have the choice of a number of Level 2's. Each stage would be based off of a different game and combine a platforming or challenge combined with a battle or battles. I think this would be a cool way to have an adventure mode, but also have people coming back for more.

Triblaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Triblaze0
I would really like to see more bosses from each series. If we could have 1 boss per character, that would be fantastic. Boss run would be the most epic ever.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
I doubt we will have a story mode along the lines of SSE. But I do believe we will be getting an Adventure mode that is a huge step up game-play wise. No way in hell has Sakurai made all of those enemy models to only use them in Smash Run. I am pretty sure a lot of elements in smash run will carry over to the Adventure mode which is definitely going to be Wii U exclusive. I hope the Adventure mode takes place in a huge interconnected world, think smash run/great maze but done in a more proper way. I hope that the Adventure mode is "quest" based and you are allowed to choose whatever character you want. I also hope that there are various towns or areas were NPC's gather were you can buy upgrades and items and such. Would be cool if there are various NPC characters and Land Marks from nintendo games in there. would be cool if we could get twice as many bosses as the amount in brawl also.

Last edited:

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
Finally! a Hot Adventure Mode Thread with great ideas! now we just need Nintendo's attention

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Please don't bump threads.

Status