• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stop Cruise Johns

Fino

Smash Master
Okay, I'm really getting tired of the vast majority of the olimar community just immediately writing off Rainbow Cruise. After being CP'd rainbow cruise from my good ole crew, I would venture to say that RC is one of the better olimar stages. lol wutz? hE jus sed dat RC iz gud 4 lolimarz? YES. I'll give my look on RC here, and I want to hear what you guys think on it being a legit stage for olimar.
First, you start out on the boat. <3 the boat. It HAS tether-able edges if you REALLY need it. It has platforms in the middle and we all know what platforms can do. usmash through the first one, uair through the second. Good stuff. Also it was a wall, perfect for a short fsmash lock. Not quite as good as the stuff you can pull on Corneria, but it can still be abuse to rack up some damage. Additionally you have a curved area.... meaning your grabs get funkier, and your fsmash/dsmash have incredibly disjointed range. You can also stand on the right area, which is a bit higher than the rest of the stage, and camp with fsmashes and pikmin toss (if you really want... just giving advantages here). If anything this stage disadvantages a few characters recovering from the left because of how easy it can be to get trapped under the boat (not an issue for olimar).
Disadvantage on this part: None, it's really just like another stage.

Now you move onto the part that seems to scare people, the left side of the stage. Yes... it is a moving stage. I still think olimar has lots of fun tricksies here. I'd like to point out, that the left wall is so small it's practically a walk off ledge. This means.... from the **** you've racked up on the boat, you're perfectly set up for an EARLY bthrow kill. Not just bthrow.... but if you're on a platform and you're being approached from below, the sweet spot on your dsmash is greatly increased, and will almost always shoot your opponent towards the left wall. your jump and double jump should be enough to maneuver around this area enough.... but if you need the extra boost, there are platforms EVERYWHERE. Do I need to pull up the thread, but shrink explained the advantages of using platforms to cancel all lag on your tether. Use this to your advantage. You have opportunity for lagless landing on top off a huge ranged attack virtually everywhere on this side. You can also use the platforms to your advantage by you uair, which has amazing priority mind you. Uair everywhere, it's TOO good. You can also use your nair to set people up for a kill.... nair through the bottom of a platform and it should allow you to maneuver safely, if not set you up for a fair/bair, uair or anything else really (depends on percent and DI.... I'll leave that to you to decide ;) )

Disadvantages: No tetherable edges except at the bottom part of the left side. Not really a huge factor as your opponent will be continuously avoiding the sick grab range for a bthrow kill and your barrage of Uairs and tether cancels. pretty much anything in your arsenal call ****.

Now you move on to the top left, and this is really the only part that calls danger. This is where you will be killed, if anywhere, due to bs. For the most part in this area you should just MOVE, and do hit and run tactics. Don't get fancy here, you can't afford it. This is the area where you get disappearing platforms. If you happen to tether and your tether is out during any part of the disappearing animation the game will **** with you can count it as a missed tether and you will just plummet to your death. I advise not using your tether at all on this section (tethering is safe when the swinging platform disappears). The changing angle also affects some of your moves: fsmash and pikmin toss become useless (if not incredibly risky), grabbing and tilt are your best option here.

Disadvantages: Pretty much everything. You have the room to move, but the swinging platform is the main area of realestate, and if you miss it you're dead. It's TOO easy for your opponent to hit you if you miss landing, and you don't have anything to tether too. You're best option is to play on the falling blocks until your opponent leaves the swinging platform and allows you to get on. If you move around and just avoid your opponent (easy to do on this stage I might add) you should be fine on this area.

Then comes another olimar **** area. LAND HO! At last! There's room for our feet on the oh so comfy ground. There's not much to worry in the terms of gimping here... it's mostly like a walk off ledge. This part is just too good for olimar though. If this were its own stage, I would CP this in a heartbeat. Here's why. First of all, your ceiling..... is TOO low. usmash will kill at 1/2 % you normally need to KO someone. Referring back to asob (I think that's who did it) pikmin KO chart, you can pull off a DDD kill around 60% or jiggs around 30%. This is just random speculation (and in no way a fact) based on his chart and the really low ceiling, but you get my point. Early early early ko's from usmash. Also you get platforms galore, if you're not usmashing, uairing, and tether cancel whoring this area you must be using those curved angles on the ground for extra fsmash /grab range. Also, with the abundance of platforms and curved edges you can really shine your aerial game. Fairs and Nairs will dominate this area (along with previously discussed aerials). I'll just add the right side of the stage here since it lasts less than 8 seconds. basically you don't have to worried about getting gimped here just because the boat will be under you. if anything you might want to try uthrow/usmash/uair or anything you can do to shoot your opponent up in the air.

*Note: I will be making a vid TONITE of a probably known AT on this section of the stage.... very situational, but I'm waiting to test it on pirate ship as well to see how good it is before posting it. I will add it here (after making a new thread) so you can get the full flavor of rapesauce.

So, that's just my look on rainbow cruise. Really, it's not everything, there is plenty more to discuss, but I'm just tired of almost EVERY olimar complaining about it, when in reality it's a decent stage. Like I said, i would CP it occasionally. I wouldn't just pick it at your next tournament however. It takes a bit of practice to get familiar with everything. Once you're familiar with the stage olimar gets VERY deadly.

For those who didn't want to read my entire post:
Moral of the story? Save your CP for japes, frigate, delfino, or whichever stage you do the worst on.

~Fino

EDIT: your opinions?

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
Stopped reading after two paragraphs. I am not a tourney player, hence I do not choose stages which give my characters the advantage. Instead, I choose the few ones which are fair for (almost) everyone. You know, Smashville, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, sometimes Isla Delphino, Frigate Orpheon, and Halberd. Everything else it just-for-the-lulz.

Fino

Smash Master
Personally I like neutral stages, but I'm just saying.... on practically every thread mentioning stages, olimar's are like zomg no! not RC!!!
I'm just trying to give practical reasons why it's really not a horrible stage.

~Fino

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
I feel the same way Fino.
I almost beat Inui's MK twice. Once I lamed out myself because I thought I had won and took out my 'gameplay mode' all too soon. (As in put down the controller to only see him alive and grab it again and die)

Another time I was clearly winning, but I died to the stage twice which was -my fault- and I forgot the timing of the stage appearing.

It's not so bad unless you can only fight on the ground.

CALOZ

Smash Apprentice
I dont really mind if they chose RC.

though i do get bad luck from it. Everyone does :p

Thats why i have secondaries to help me with CP'd stages

asob4

Smash Champion
i just don't like it
never have never will

plus i hate losing cause i got pushed away and out of my jump to die cause the pendulum swung the other way >_>

Dyyne

Smash Ace
...I said all of that, condensed , and all of you said I was wrong, gave poor reasons behind it, then moved on to continue stage discussion. Even you said that it was understandable why it is bad, and that pika ***** on it, for unexplained reasons. Which is wrong anyway, imo, because he doesn't have room to chaingrab usually, b spam is negated much more than pikmin spam from the platforms, and thunder is always blocked by platforms, although I don't fight enough pikas, so maybe is there more behind that reasoning. Point is, I'm disappointed this was basically ignored when I said it, and now you're completely changing your mind *cough credit please, since you more or less just rephrased what I had said cough*

EDIT: Anyway, so rant is done. To contribute, I don't think it is a bad level at all, and in fact one of his good levels. The only part to be wary of is the pendulum. Firstly, most characters are susceptible to early deaths there, so keep that in mind, and just play smart and nothing should happen. When you're getting near that part, just play defensively. There's plenty of platforms where you can take cover, and it really is over-hyped about. Ya, if you position yourself stupidly, you might get schooled. Just play smart.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Seriously massive wall of text that's just theory. In practice, you're going to be facing Meta-Knight on this stage, and he's going to get you off the platforms in seconds, where you can't recover. I like how you're thinking outside of the box, but sometimes you just have to admit your weaknesses and move on.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Seriously massive wall of text that's just theory. In practice, you're going to be facing Meta-Knight on this stage, and he's going to get you off the platforms in seconds, where you can't recover. I like how you're thinking outside of the box, but sometimes you just have to admit your weaknesses and move on.
Exactly what I was thinking. A lot of what you're saying is what's going to happen in the opportune situation. Chances are you're never going to be in such a situation and you will be MK'd into a bad place. It's good thinking but RC will never be a great stage for Oli.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Inui's a high ranking player generally, I'll add as well?
Just stay defensive on the pendulem/rug thing.

asob4

Smash Champion
maybe when not facing MK, kirby, D3, GnW, (insert any good aerial char with good recovery) then it will be decent for oli

otherwise, just no

you're an exception blackwaltz >_> lol

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
I'll uh.. also throw it in as D3s worst stage?
I 3 stock any D3s ever on that stage unless I make a dumb mistake by running into an uptilt.
Or at the very least, beat them.

Asob, D3 is bad there.

No idea why Pika was -mentioned- on this level.

Fino

Smash Master
Doesn't look bad on paper, but I still absolutely despise the stage.

Whatever floats your boat, though.
No, it doesn't look bad IRL either... just give it a shot ;)
trust me, after getting more familiar with it, you'll like it.

Stopped reading after two paragraphs. I am not a tourney player, hence I do not choose stages which give my characters the advantage. Instead, I choose the few ones which are fair for (almost) everyone. You know, Smashville, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, sometimes Isla Delphino, Frigate Orpheon, and Halberd. Everything else it just-for-the-lulz.
Then don't post. On top of that, you're a bowser main... and that really contributed nothing to the thread.

Thats why i have secondaries to help me with CP'd stages
I think you missed the first and last lines of the post. I'm trying to persuade ya'll that it's not a CP... but more a good stage for oli
i just don't like it
never have never will

plus i hate losing cause i got pushed away and out of my jump to die cause the pendulum swung the other way >_>
I do not like it sam I am, I will not eat green eggs and ham
:)
Also, just play defensively around the pendulum. get familiar with the stage and less BS kills like that happen.

No, not theory my friend, reality. I've CP'd this stage before and it works wonders.
Infact, YES! In practice I have two stocked metaknights on this stage. Thank you for bringing up another valid point. olimar can ko mk REALLY early here, but same goes for you... so watch yourselves ;)

Exactly what I was thinking. A lot of what you're saying is what's going to happen in the opportune situation. Chances are you're never going to be in such a situation and you will be MK'd into a bad place. It's good thinking but RC will never be a great stage for Oli.
Points at post above.
Also, when 3/4 of the stage has this 'situational' stuff.... it's not so situational anymore is it? (eww, that sounded bad... sorry, just trying friendly debate here :) )

maybe when not facing MK, kirby, D3, GnW, (insert any good aerial char with good recovery) then it will be decent for oli
Point to post above again ^_^. People, just try it. The difference between what you're saying and what me and blackwaltz are saying, is that we've actually played RC a decent amount of times to know it, where as you speculate on what you THINK would happen. I'm just trying to break down that barrier ;)
While I've beaten MK's on this stage many times, I can't say I've even played kirby or G&W on there. D3 isn't incredibly great on this stage. While he has good recovery, he has to constantly jump, and since he's heavy and his jumps are that great you can abuse it to some extent. Also his ledge guarding abilities and his survivability are completely destroyed by the stage, because if he tries to 'ledge guard' you can simply fall to the platform below, or w/e depending on the stage. And also you can kill him early with the short walls and low ceilings.

~Fino

P.S. Thank you blackwaltz for backing me up in a way that doesn't make me seem crazy ;)

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
I just have never liked stages that moved for olimar, such as Delfino or RC. Even lylat can mess with me. With experience, any stage can give you an advantage. I'm going to be learning this stage, so I can ban other stages.

GW owns RC. I could see DDD having a hard time. From what I can tell, MK does well in RC. I've watched a few great MK's play on RC, and they had very little problems, but maybe against Olimar, on rainbow cruise, MK has issues. I will need to play that more and see.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
You say you've beaten MKs before on RC, but which MK's? If you're a better player, you can win there. Show me a vid of you beating a GOOD MK player and I might believe you.

Fino

Smash Master
You say you've beaten MKs before on RC, but which MK's? If you're a better player, you can win there. Show me a vid of you beating a GOOD MK player and I might believe you.
lol, vid or it didn't happen?
Because I definitely record all my matches (and rainbow cruise definitely lets you have a match under 3 mins amirite?)
Just, wow. I don't see you calling blackwaltz out on it... if you don't believe me, suit yourself.... ban RC and fail on japes ;)

~Fino

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
honestly, against characters who have good aerials its a bad stage, but otherwise it runs very hot-cold depending on the specific opponent the one thing i love about this stage though is if you grab a character at 60%+ while they are on a falling block and your not at the end part unless they've had it happen before and know what to do they will die because when they try to recover after getting out the new block will block them, i killed a snake at 60% while i was 130% once on that stage like that winning the set, it was a really good snake, thats the only generally great thing about it, but other wise like i said its very hot-cold, and against g&w its suicide

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
lol, vid or it didn't happen?
Because I definitely record all my matches (and rainbow cruise definitely lets you have a match under 3 mins amirite?)
Just, wow. I don't see you calling blackwaltz out on it... if you don't believe me, suit yourself.... ban RC and fail on japes ;)

~Fino
"Don't you -know-? I'm the hero of light!"
Yeah, vids on normal wiis won't happen with this stage.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Hey, no need to get so defensive. Since RC is widely considered bad for Oli, the burden of proof is on you.

Even if you don't have vids, what MK players have you beaten there? Beating some random guy who thinks he's the next Mew2King doesn't count.

IllidR

Smash Champion
blackwaltz i believe beat or almost beat inui's MK on rainbow
Do i sense some doubt of winning on the stage? Maybe he almost beat him hear, but he probably could've easily beaten him if this were the case on any other stage. Therefore, RC is still not a good stage for Oli.

asob4

Smash Champion
i'm against RC >_> i never liked it and i fail on it

it's inui's MK on rainbow
gonna be hard to win there period

but he had to have won if he was CP'd cruise :D

Fino

Smash Master
Hey, no need to get so defensive. Since RC is widely considered bad for Oli, the burden of proof is on you.

Even if you don't have vids, what MK players have you beaten there? Beating some random guy who thinks he's the next Mew2King doesn't count.
I ALMOST beat domo a couple days ago in a friendly at the wichita bi-weekly on RC. It came down to who made the next hit, and I started to get fancy *tear* (I was at 163% and he was at 120%)
I tried to friendly affinity, but he was too busy being a TO.

~Fino

Tamoo

Smash Master
All im sayin is thank thank god i second main pit cos if this stage gets picked in tourneys, i will get owned. Died in so many stupid ways on this stage. I can see where ur coming from tho, its not all bad, just the left hand side of the stage.

asob4

Smash Champion
johnjohnjohnjohnjohnjohnjohnjohnjohnjohnjohnjohnrainbowcruisejohnjohnjohnjohnjohnjohnjohnjohn

:D

RC is gay no matter what way you look at it :p
i mean, it's a cruise on rainbow's...what's more gay? besides San Francisco

IcyLight

Smash Lord
i LOVE rainbow cruise as olimar. He's pretty much unstoppable on this level except for the very top middle part of the stage, when the big book is going horizontally like a pendulum. Other than this, short side low ceiling and plenty of places to recover, can't be gimped easily. But really, you either like this level or you don't. I wouldn't recommend CP'ing vs. PIT, kirby, d3, etc. But overall, i think this is a very nice stage for Oli. No johns.

Cook

Smash Master
I've been playing online on allisbrawl a lot lately and I have yet to lose on this stage! I like it now; I think I'll counterpick it whenever someone else uses Oli to get them to switch off so I don't have to do ditos.

Top Bottom