• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Still no news to report? 'fraid so...

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
So in the meantime, we’ve got something of a different nature to discuss: speculation!

Resident forum member FlipTroopa has put together what Sakurai and Nintendo have been heard (through the grapevine) saying about various characters, and their possible inclusion into the Smash Brothers family. Please keep in mind that none of this is definitive, only rumors and things of that nature. Still, in this dry spell of any information from the horse’s mouth to report on, we instead present, the rumor mill!

All of the following is written by FlipTroopa. Make sure to join our forums to comment on this speculation and take part in more! :)

~~~

<strong>King Dedede</strong> - He appears the most on the list, with a total of 5 definite nods out of all the entires shared with the public. Sakurai did make a comment when he was asked about Meta Knight that he was afraid he may never see Kirby or his other creations ever again since he left Nintendo, and now that he was back, he was going to relish it. He has always loved Meta Knight, Kirby, and King Dedede as a colorful trio of characters. He’s said it many times in the past. He’s also said that the reason Kirby games were underrepped in the past two Smashes was because he didn’t want to overinclude himself, and screw other guys out of their own characters appearing. But now that this may be his final game, he stopped caring XD And, judging by his eagerness to read King Dedede requests, we can tell that’s true!

<strong>Krystal</strong> - I read once somewhere before that Sakurai was astounded by the popularity Star Fox had as a series, and that’s partially why he decided Fox would get a clone in Falco when he had to go ahead and make clone characters in Melee. This time around he wants to keep the fans of Star Fox happy still, and supposedly was asking questions about Krystal the Fox to eager gamers. I don’t know how definite what he said is what I’m saying here, but I heard that he essentially asked who she was, why they liked her, if they would like to see her, and how cool would it be to see her with that staff of hers. He was very intrigued by her after the E3 trailer was first shown, and journalists began throwing him ideas.

<strong>Diddy Kong</strong> - DKC is underrepped in Smash. We know this for a fact. And I’m sure Sakurai wouldn’t mind changing that. Diddy was requested almost as much as Dedede, tying for second with a few other characters for top requested. He was also heavily requested for Melee, but left out for whatever reasons there may be. However, when Sakurai was presented with the idea for a Diddy/Dixie duo on his poll, he went crazy: he really liked it!

<strong>Ike</strong> - Since SSB64, Sakurai has wanted Sigurd to be a fighter. Of course, that never happened. And when he started work on Sigurd for Melee, he got cut off, and had to instead include Roy (Marth was already going to be included as Sigurd’s “partner”). Now that Ike has replaced Sigurd as the top requested, and most popular, FE Lord in Japan, Sakurai has a new decision on his hands. He has expressed interest in the character before, even remarking that he was the first international lord that everybody seemed to like. So his chances are high. Especially with that new FE stage showing up in the trailer…

<strong>Ridley</strong> - Sakurai openly stated he wanted more Metroid characters. Whether that’s legit, or just his polluted idea of “giving Western fans their own share,” I’m not sure. But he’s already redesigned Samus to match her Prime outfit (as well as her emblem), and is going all out by tossing in Zero Suit Samus. So is Ridley far behind? He has made a comment, not pertaining specifically to Ridley, that Metroid has leapt to a major forerunner franchise for the company again, and he feels that it’s his duty to do it justice. Ridley is also tied for second most requested character, even on the Japanese polls.

<strong>Geno</strong> - Here’s an interesting one. A character that actually belongs to Square, but belongs in the Marioverse. What does Sakurai think? Well, actually, he’s intrigued. Geno is tied for second as well, and Sakurai has been noted as asking around for what the character is like. When he starts asking, it’s a good thing, btw. It means he’s bothering to learn who they are But Geno has been mentioned many-a-times, and Sakurai is listening to hard to each suggestion. And he’s yet to turn them down. That’s something, right?

<strong>Takamaru</strong> - I had to put him in here. Takamaru is tied for third on the top requested characters in the Japanese poll. But he’s also got something else: Sakurai’s interest. I’ve heard through the grapevine that Sakurai wants to see this character make a comeback, and I know for a fact that he’s asking Japanese readers of his poll (or, I guess, “asked,” since it’s closed) to go back and play these retro games, because it will really expand their horizons. He has duly noted that he always knew Kid Icarus was really popular, and was waiting for the right moment. He MUST know that Nazo no Murasame is the same.

*NOTE: As far as Japan-only is concerned, it’s not a concern. Sakurai stated he would like to avoid a BUNCH of Japanese only characters, but he’s not against a few. Afterall, Marth and Roy did well for themselves, wouldn’t you say? Irregardless, if we’re talking specifics, a game like Nazo no Murasamejo is easy as hell to translate/slap on the western Virtual Console.

*NOTE 2: I guess I should clarify where I got this bit about Nazo no Murasame. There was a letter thanking Sakurai for inspiring a reader to go back and play Kid Icarus, because when he did he found out he loved it, and wants Pit even more. Sakurai has always said that he’s more interested in the unique and the obscure, and Pit fit the bill very nicely. He’s also said that he is a big fan of old NES titles, and would appreciate it if people spent time to go back and play them more often. As far as Takamaru is concerned, Sakurai supposedly has been previewing a lot of older NES titles, Nazo being one of them, for Brawl.

And here are a few characters you may NOT have known Sakurai is considering…

<strong>Little Mac</strong> - Not much here, but he did include a Punch-Out character in his poll, and has commented that he loves the franchise a LOT. He intended for Punch-Out trophies in Melee, including a 3D Mac in all his glory, but ran out of time. He does plan to look into the series further for this Smash Bros., as it is one of those “internationally popular” ones.

<strong>Balloon Fighter</strong> - He was in the beta for Melee, and is partially to blame for that alternate music in the Icicle Mountain stage. So what’s the big deal? Sakurai has commented that he likes Balloon Fight, and that Balloon Fighter offers a lot of fun potential for a Smash Bros. game. He doesn’t appear once in the poll, but that really means nothing in the end if you’ve never appeared–as long as Sakurai likes you. And clearly he likes the game and character. And clearly salvaging what they had from Melee Beta isn’t hard.

<strong>Lolo</strong> - Sakurai has remarked a few times that he loves the character and his games. He copies a lot of stuff for Kirby games from the Eggerland/Lolo titles, and even goes so far as to include Lolo’s doppelganger as a boss (Lololo) as well. He’s sometimes even gone out of his way to tell people “look, i love this character, and i will bring him back if i have to.” Supposedly he’s pointed at Smash Bros. as one of the ways.

*NOTE: Early drawings from Kirby Canvas Curse actually show Lolo as a playable character, and this was one of the few games that Sakurai did come back to Nintendo to help develop. And if you want evidence that Sakurai likes Lolo, just play a Kirby game. Lololo and Lalala, Rocky, and Skulls all appear in Kirby games as enemies, and the games supposedly even share sound fx (never checked myself).

<strong>Muddy Mole</strong> - One of the few letters Sakurai actually responded to concerned none other than this character! Sakurai actually really enjoyed Miyamoto’s Mole Mania game, and remarked that he would love to implement Muddy in some shape or form. To add even more rumor milling, he added that “he’s so interesting, he might be in the roster already!” …makes you wonder.

*NOTE: I am still waiting for the source on this, to be honest.

<strong>Sukapon</strong> - That’s right kiddies. He appears twice on the poll, but Sakurai has commented on him nonetheless! Supposedly Sakurai has been looking towards a lot of retro NES titles, and has landed his eye on Joy Mech Fight affectionately. That’s really… all there is. But it should be nice to note that Sukapon is remembered in Japan, and that technically Joy Mecha Fight is Smash Bros. NES. Sort of. …..did you know Smash Bros. was planned for SNES? *runs away*

*NOTE: I only added that emote for comedic effect >.>;; But Smash Bros. was actually planned for the SNES. This is fact. It was gonna use the FX Chip, like Star Fox did, to make a really funky fighting game. But it was scratched, and the project began for N64 instead.

<strong>Demiru</strong> - Appears more than once on the poll, and intrigues the hell out of Sakurai! The star of Tomato Adventure has a lot of potential up his sleeve, and Sakurai notes this repeatedly. Does this mean he has a chance? It depends. But Sakurai certainly read and enjoyed those lengthy requests for this character.

*NOTE: I don’t know the exact numbers, but they are veeerrrryyy long requests. So long, they even give Demiru moves and expressions for the game. And Sakurai posted both of ‘em.

<strong>Mach Rider</strong> - While Sakurai himself didn’t say much about the character as it pertains to Brawl, rumor persists that MR was slated to appear in Melee in some form or another. Funny, considering his music and trophy are still left behind in the game. Rumors go so far, in some cases, as to suggest MR was playable in the beta alongside Balloon Fighter, and, if such is true, he wouldn’t be hard to salvage for Brawl. Not to mention Sakurai did get a letter or two commending him for including such a vintage character in the trophy section of Melee, with music.

<strong>Mother Characters</strong> - I’m gonna lump this together, because there isn’t really one specific character. Essentially, the entire party of Mother 2, Ninten from Mother 1, and Lucas, Claus, and Kumatora from Mother 3 all popped up on Sakurai’s poll. Claus got a bigger deal of attention, considering his “LOL SECRET,” and Sakurai, who DID WORK ON MOTHER 3 *hint hint*, mentioned amongst the letters that he would be including stuff from the game. Now, firstly, he confirmed in Famitsu that Mother 3 music was appearing in Brawl. Secondly, he confirmed that had EB2/64/M3 been released pre SSB64, Ness would’ve been replaced by Lucas. He even held out for it to be released prior to Melee, to try and put in Lucas then. So, now that Lucas is out, what happens to Ness….?

<strong>Animal Crossing</strong> - While the Animal Crossing “human” has appeared twice on the poll, and somebody joked with Sakurai about having Tom Nook fight, he hasn’t really said anything. He knows it’s a big deal with a lot of fans, though, so maybe that counts for something? Personally, I’d doubt that he’d throw AC FIGHTERS into the mix, but maybe a stage or something. He seems like the guy that would enjoy such a game, but wouldn’t like the idea of playing as Tom Nook.

~~~

So that’s all for now. Big thanks to FlipTroopa for compiling this for us. As was mentioned several times none of this means that any of the characters on this list are 100% included in the game. But during this time of Sakurai clamming up about the game, this is the most definitive information we have at the moment. :)

B

Ben

Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno

T

The Mario fan Boy

I don’t really like that idea either. That would obviously rip off the ice climbers. I find that team characters aren’t that great in the super smash scene. Ice climbers were Ok but were just kinda boring and have fairly high chances of not making it in brawl any way.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Sakurai loves the Ice Climbers. He’s been very interested in including old-school NES characters, and the Ice Climbers were one (two?) of the best and most original candidates in Melee. Despite that rumor you heard, the Ice Climbers aren’t going anywhere.

T

The Mario fan Boy

I’m completely fine with having the ice climbers in the game but adding any more duo characters would be just to much in my opinion. The ice climbers I guess were one (two?) of a kind and a great idea but having diddy and dixie do that just wont suit the game to me.

If they end up in the game as a pair I won’t be heart broken but all i’m saying is that there are other characters that would feed the needs of fans much more then Diddy and Dixie in the game.

S

Shadow

Yeah but it would be a cool battle between the Ice Climbers and Diddy and Dixie team battle but no

T

The Mario fan Boy

For some freakin reason I can’t figure out why I don’t want any more teams but I just don’t. I guess it’s cause adding an other team character (characters?) would be 1 to many.

B

boo

king dedede is this person that looks like a blue duck with a hammer…
oh yeah no diddy and dixie team!!!! (&gt;_

M

Matt

A Diddy/Dixie tag team wouldn’t be bad if they did it differently than IC. Perhaps have them play/function as if one entity, just made up of two characters. Diddy/Dixie wouldn’t be able to split up like IC, unless through an attack where one throws the other at the opponent. Haha just a thought. =)

T

The Mario fan Boy

That’s actualy a pritty good thought. If they had completely different traites from the ice climbers (less power, more reach, different moves comboes and abilities in general then they wouldn’t be that bad.

S

segaloyal

ya the only way diddie and dixie would be a team is if they had the tag action they had in dk country 2

T

The Mario fan Boy

I relly want shadow mario in brawl.

PLEEEEEEAAASSSSEEEEEE Nintendo put shadow mario in PLEEEEAAAAAASSSSEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

smash fan #100000

their would be cool too but they are not really necesary (too many guys from mario uuniverse)

P

prisoner_of_love

to my knowledge, geno is a team-mate in super mario rpg seven stars. did a google search on him and read up, he looks like he would be a prety fun character. never played the game so uniqueness is not to my knowledge, but he is a supernatural puppet so thats interesting.

the diddy/dixie thing would be a great idea if they did what Matt said, have them swing eachother around, move the same way at the same time, and utilize dkc items for attacks. im also a fan of the baby mario/baby luigi duo, and if they used some bros attack items from mario&amp;luigi partners in time, they could be unique too. i dont know about range or speed or power, i just wanted that team in the game. i support doubles characters because they are fun to play and to watch the fine art it takes someone like Chu to play them well. (IC grab -&gt;foward throw -&gt;nana spike-&gt; smash A-down pwnage)

dark samus for brawl!

S

Shady

I want Earthworm Jim to be one of the third party characters in Brawl. He will ROCK THE WORLD if he’s in it with his awesomeness!

T

The Mario fan Boy

I’m just thankful that Pit and Metanight look as cool as they do in the trailer. I’m pritty sure atleast one of them will have to be unlockable (most likely Metanight) and who ever it is i’ll unlock him with the other.

Pit, Metanight and Mario &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;everyone else

T

Toad

What about King K. Rool? He would be awesome to play as. Wolf would also be good.

A

archirival of some looser

he is too big for brawl and don´t fit in (at least for me)

P

prisoner_of_love

Archirival, you can’t possibly say that King K. Rool wouldn’t fit into brawl. Brawl should include more vilians because without vilians there cannot be heroes. Starfox could have never existed without Wolf, and the vilians of the melee characters should earn a chance to fight back. Also size doesn’t matter in the least. Don’t forget that bowser has gone from 1.5x Mario’s size in Mario Kart to over 20x his size in Mario Sunshine, as well as many sizes in between. Kirby is actually only 8 inches tall and nobody complained about Captain Olimar, who isn’t even as tall as a penny. I don’t believe you have an argument against him. He is an origional vilian who would have an equally origional moveset, and I would very much enjoy playing as him.

Unrelated but, why do people want Tom Nook in brawl? All he does is run a shop in a Nintendo game, you can’t possibly think he would make a worthy opponent, can you?

X

XperimnT

I agree with several people in this section.

First of all, thank you Shady for mentioning Earthworm Jim. That has made me a much happier man. Earthworm Jim IS very awesome. I mentioned him 3 or 4 times in the comment section for ” What Sakurai didn’t want you to find out”, but nobody responded to it. It was as if you and I are the only ones leaving comments about suggesting Jim as a Brawler. Props. (go check out my comments on the other page)

Second of all, Kin K. Rool was MUCH huger in DK64 thah he was in DK Country. All they would have to do is enter him as the DKC version of King K. Rool, so he wont be too big.

Third of all, Geno would make an awesome character. He’s got the magic so he could use magic “A button” attacks, and just think about the possibilities when it comes to his finishing move.

Having said that, I dont think it would work out so well if Diddie and Dixie were side by side fighting as one character. Tag team would work, but where is Dixie when Diddy is taking all the damage? When they switch, will Dixie all-of-a-sudden suffer 150% damage that she didnt even take? Its not like Zelda/Sheik where the two of them are both one person. Diddy and Dixie are seperate, and seperate they should stay. The two of them would work out better if they were both seperate but still in the game.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Just letting everyone know, the comments section here is adequate, but our forums are very active and fun. For more in-depth discussions on pretty much everything, check out smashboards.com.

S

smash fan #100000

ok what you said of king k. rool just make change my opinion about him on brawl (prisioner_of_love´s posts) I was thinking just as archival of some looser but I changed my opinion by prisioner of love posts and now I want king k. rool on brawl!!!

X

XperimnT

I think that some characters should have their own different versions of One Player Adventure mode. Think about Melee adventure. You start out on a platform style scene crawling with enemies, and move to a fight stage with other Brawlers. Like the Mushroom kingdom with Goombas and Koopas, the Yoshi team battle, and the Mario/Peach or Luigi/Peach team battle.
Maybe the characters from the Zelda series should all have platform scenes that look like they were ripped straight their own games, along with enemies from that universe.

A

archirival of some looser

it would be cool but it would take a lot of time

X

XperimnT

True, but I really dont care about that too much. To me, if its going to be that good, its well worth waiting for. The thing that troubled me about SSBM, was the fact that I had to play all 3 one-player modes with every last character to get all the trophies. That was a pain. It was just the lack of diversity that made that job annoying. Part of what would make the game great would be the improved single player modes for the people with no 2nd or 3rd controller or friends to play with.

T

The Mario fan Boy

Ya I didn’t have any friends that were any good at the game (no competition) so I found my self just trying to get all the trophies and arenas, i’t got really anoying when it had to involve allstar or adventure mode. But I don’t think that the 1 player mode was a complete failiure, I personaly liked classic, I liked stadium and I also liked event mode, I still do some of those things for fun if I get bored.

X

XperimnT

I dont want to make the one player mode seem like a COMPLETE failure, all Im saying is the next could use the improvement that the first one didn’t get.
I have all the character trophies, but I still play for fun, too. Classic is the best.
Event matches were cool, too. I think they should bring new event matches, and maybe even some that are downloadable through Wi-Fi. One thing I miss is “Board the Platforms” from N64. They should definitely bring those back, too.

Top Bottom