• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Step by step guide (with pics!) on how to edit music titles using BrawlBox (UPDATED)

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Riivolution can change song names too? Didn't know that. But can it do it for PAL?
I don't know for sure...I know it gave PAL custom music, so I bet if you put the info.pac in the right spot, it probably would load the song titles too....

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It should be noted that the file size of the mu_menumain_en.pac is different for PAL (for some reason). The original (ripped straight from the game) is 4,146 kB so I had my edited file trimmed to that exact size and it worked like a charm. info_en.pac shows as 392 kB when you look at the "Size" field in Detailed List in Windows XP but as a 391 when you highlight it.

It's a bit strange, but they both work like a charm.

br3compactor

Smash Ace
I'm having the same problem as most above. My Wii freezes right after the Loading screen on the beggining if I'm having info.pac on my SD. If I only have the mu_menumain.pac it works and the music at My Music works just fine with the new titles.

The fun fact is... there's just NO WAY to reduce the info.pac size to 391 Kb. No matter what I do, the size in disk is ALWAYS 392 KB (401.408 bytes). It comes like this when I download it fresh and doesn't changes at all, no matter what I rename to "?".

Even the one generated by Dantarion's "Any Lenght" always has the same size in disk.

EDIT: Before someone asks... YES, I'm SAVING afterwards.

Mr. PBJ

Smash Rookie
The titles show up in MyMusic, but not in the stages when the battle with the respective song starts. (It shows the original name, but the hacked music plays), why is this?

EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't save info.pac on my SD Card.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
The titles show up in MyMusic, but not in the stages when the battle with the respective song starts. (It shows the original name, but the hacked music plays), why is this?

EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't save info.pac on my SD Card.
Glad you fixed your problem...

Nintenden

Smash Cadet
This freezes whenever I click on any Pokemon stage. My info.pac file is 390 KB (400,237 bytes) in size (400 KB (409,600 bytes) on disc) and mu_menumain.pac file is 4.06 MB (4,258,122 bytes) in size (4.06 MB (4,259,840 bytes) on disc).

I have followed all the steps, yet why didn't this work?

EDIT: Fixed it and got rid of the latter file. Nothing is perfect.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
I'm having the same problem as most above. My Wii freezes right after the Loading screen on the beggining if I'm having info.pac on my SD. If I only have the mu_menumain.pac it works and the music at My Music works just fine with the new titles.

The fun fact is... there's just NO WAY to reduce the info.pac size to 391 Kb. No matter what I do, the size in disk is ALWAYS 392 KB (401.408 bytes). It comes like this when I download it fresh and doesn't changes at all, no matter what I rename to "?".

Even the one generated by Dantarion's "Any Lenght" always has the same size in disk.

EDIT: Before someone asks... YES, I'm SAVING afterwards.
I'm having the same problem. Though I'm pretty sure my file sizes are small enough, it keeps going black screen after the loading screen when info.pac is on the sd card.

Xx HanZo xX

Smash Apprentice
hey i did this and everythign seemed to work perfectly The Edited music appeared in "My Music" Section but when i go to the brawl match i see the regular Song Title, my music works fine, but my title doesn appear...

Am i doing something wrong?

oLJo

Smash Cadet
i have a question i did tried to input the codes into my gct file then load gecko os but the game wont load and my other codes work perfectly without the peach code why is that.

StreakRaiden

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I too have a problem. The song names show up in My Music, but when I go into a match, it doesn't show up on the stage.

Now, the info.pac is in the correct folder (info2) and nothing seems to be amiss. Can anyone tell me what the problem could possibly be?

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
Problem found

i have the info.pac file in the right place, but its not working when i test it in brawl

i also am using the latest file replacement code

EDIT: im an idiot, i tested it in my explosion lab area of the game (training) and not main brawl

thats probably a different file

The BSC

Smash Rookie
For the life of me, I can't get Info.pac tp work. Are there unsupported characters in song title names? When I open Brawlbox, all the Pokémon titles render as Pokémon, could that be the problem?

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Tried both the OP and Dantarion's, and can't get either to work past the loading screen. I have all the files in the correct places and still nothing past the loading screen. :/

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
Problem: info.pac freezes my Wii (this seems to be a common problem). It's the correct file size (391 KB), and it's size on disk is 392 KB, while on my SD card, the size on disk is 416 KB. I am using the most recent file replacement code (5.3.1), and the info.pac always freezes everything.

So, does anyone know why this is?

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this has been asked, and this thread is ancient, but this is the first thread I found on the subject. Is there any reason that this method wouldn't work for Project M? Or is there a more up to date thread? I want to know before I start. Thanks!

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
This guide looks well done but I have one question, does this work with hackless Wiis and hackless builds of Project M or does this require your Wii to be hacked?

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
It works. I have hackless.

You don't need to copy the files though, or even create a new pfmenu2 folder. Just edit them.

nospimi99

Smash Rookie
Okay, as of when I write this post, 3.0 will have been out for 2 days. Step 28 says On the SD card it says

Insert your SD card into your computer. Place your info.pac file into:

I:\private\wii\APP\RSBE\pf\info2\info.pac

Essentially the point of this step is to replace the info.pac file. On the SD card, the file folders only go to

I:\private\wii\APP\RSBE\st\st_080805_0933.bin

However after digging around I found that if you follow this file directory...

I:\projectm\pf\info2

...you get a folder with multiple info files ending in .pac inluding the file told to replace in step 28, "info.pac" file. This is where i put my new info.pac file replacing the existing one already there. Following through to step 29, go to file...

I:\private\wii\APP\RSBE

Once you get to this folder there is only one folder in there called "st" which has one lone file called "st_080805_0933.bin" Instead of going in the "st" folder, create your own folder called "pfmenu2" This is where you put your "mu_menumain.pac" file. After all is said and done take out your SD card and try it out. If you're like me in the actual level the song title is now what you custom changed it to. However in the my music section in the game, it still shows the original name of the song.

So for example, I changed the song "Clu Clu Land" on the Summit level to "Fatidic (Bomberman Hero)" When you play a match on the level Summit and the song comes up, it says "Fatidic (Bomberman Hero) However when I go to options and then my music, choose the level summit, the title says "Clu Clu Land," but when I play the song, the song I put in plays.

How can I change to the info in the my music section? I'm so close!

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
I:\private\wii\APP\RSBE

Once you get to this folder there is only one folder in there called "st" which has one lone file called "st_080805_0933.bin" Instead of going in the "st" folder, create your own folder called "pfmenu2" This is where you put your "mu_menumain.pac" file. After all is said and done take out your SD card and try it out. If you're like me in the actual level the song title is now what you custom changed it to. However in the my music section in the game, it still shows the original name of the song.

So for example, I changed the song "Clu Clu Land" on the Summit level to "Fatidic (Bomberman Hero)" When you play a match on the level Summit and the song comes up, it says "Fatidic (Bomberman Hero) However when I go to options and then my music, choose the level summit, the title says "Clu Clu Land," but when I play the song, the song I put in plays.

How can I change to the info in the my music section? I'm so close!
Hey, this thread is a guide for Brawl, not PM. As such, the method is slightly different but not terribly so.

It's easy, just DON'T create the "pfmenu2" folder, it already exists in the form you need. Go to projectm/pf/menu2, and use MiscData[140] from info.pac to replace MiscData[7] from menu_main.pac. You don't even need to/shouldn't replace the whole file, just the MiscData.

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
@Gamegenie222
This is the guide I used for song titles in the game. The first page has the guide, and the 3rd page has PM specifications, since the guide is for Brawl.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
OK, so is there a way to reduce the size of mu_menumain.pac in large amounts? I followed the tutorial exactly, and for whatever reason, my mu_menumain.pac is was way over the max, like 5030-40 KB. I removed all the wi-fi messages through the one that had "submit," and reduced a stage texture preview from 176x176 to 160x160, and it is now at 5029. Help?

Last edited:

wrecksaucesupreme

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry, but what is this? I:\private\wii\APP\RSBE\pfmenu2\mu_menumain.pac
I dont have anything like this on my usb. Help please?

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
Hey do you think you will ever update this guide with pictures that are hosted by somthing other than image shack? the links with imageshack DO NOT WORK! all of them link to a video ad on thier site and you cannot see anything. Just wondering.

Dupin

Smash Rookie
The "clean" mu_menumain_en.pac in the OP is actually 4.258.033 bytes. I don't see how anything we do to change it is gonna drop it down 100.000 btyes to get to the right size. Anybody got an alternate download?

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess. It seems to work no matter what the file sizes actually are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom