• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft: Ghost

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Westwood didn't merge as that would mean it still existed. Westwood got "consolidated" in to the antichrist of gaming that is EA. What does this mean? Well instead of producing plenty good games, Westwood will just produce Command and Conquer like Origin will JUST produce UO. I hate EA with a great passion.

But yes, it is a mod. A nice looking one too.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Another E3, another year without Ghost. Some new pics from E3, and a release dates (although they may as well not exist, the number of times this thing has passed dates....) for Q2 06.
EDIT:

Actually a LOT of info has come to light. Storytime guys?
has been four years since the Brood War Conflict ended within the ravaged Koprulu Sector. In that time, Sarah Kerrigan, the self-styled Queen of Blades, has become the undisputed ruler of the zerg Swarm - and the most powerful entity in the galaxy. Emperor Arcturus Mengsk, Kerrigan's sworn enemy, has rebuilt much of his Terran Dominion and consolidated a new military force despite the ever-present threat of the zerg.
Mengsk, with the aid of his newly appointed advisor - General Horace Warfield - has begun a clandestine research project code-named Project: Shadow Blade. This covert program utilizes a rare and deadly form of gas known as terrazine to alter the genetic makeup of the Dominion's psychic Ghost operatives. These Ghosts are transformed into terrifying Spectres - shadowy superhuman beings bent on executing the will of their true master.
In this boiling cauldron of strife and subversion, the young Ghost known as Nova has come of age. Having received years of intensive physical and psychic training, Nova has become the Dominion's most lethal and promising Ghost in years. Utilizing a combination of pure physical aptitude, innate psychic power, and advanced technology, Nova can infiltrate any situation and strike without being seen or heard. Like a phantom in the shadows, she exists only as a myth to the enemies of the Dominion she serves.
Yet, despite her skill and cunning, Nova is about to uncover a conspiracy that will force her to question her deepest loyalties as well as her own identity. Ensnared in a bitter struggle between the Dominion and the rebel Koprulu Liberation Front, Nova will embark upon a perilous mission to uncover the frightening truth behind Project: Shadow Blade. Now, the dark path that Nova must tread threatens to not only change her forever - but upset the very balance of the galaxy.

Weapons Nova has are Shotgun, Flamethrower, Sniper, Lockdown, Assault Rifle (grenade second function) and Gaus rifle.

She can cloak (duh) increase her speed (aka bullettime) and use her Vision ability. When she engages her advanced sensory goggles, she can perceive additional information that is otherwise hidden to the naked eye. She can discern vulnerable spots on targets, such as the beating hearts of humans or the slivers between Protoss armor plates where they are vulnerable to one-shot assassinations. This special Vision mode also tells Nova what mechanical targets are susceptible to lockdown.

Vehicles!

The vulture is back, using a laser weapon this time instead of the classic Frag grenade launcher. Seige tank is back and as deadly as ever. Ther's also the Grizzley, a large dropship with a huge ammount of weapon stations, enough for 5 people to be on board and shoot. Ther's also the Stinger, which looks like the Warthog from Halo, but with 6 wheels.

MULTIPLAYER!

Yep that's right. And it has some interesting twists on old classics. The old capture the flag and King of the hill. In Ghost you have Capture the base. Simply, you capture a building, make it lift off and float it back to your base.

First, you need to get into the floating factory, which you can only do by flying into it with a Grizzly fighter-bomber. Once inside, you'll need to locate the central control room and maneuver the base back to your side. But while you're doing this, the other team could be fighting a pitched battle within the factory trying to wrest control of it from you. And even if you should manage to bring it back to your base, the other team could always storm the factory and steal it back from you.

Victory won't automatically go to the team that first captures the base. Instead, one team must hold the base for a set number of minutes, which gives the other team a chance to take it back. However, the number of minutes you must hold the base need not be cumulative. That means teams can keep stealing it from each other in pitched battles that rage across the sky as the base is tugged back and forth between both sides of the map. Once a team accumulates the total necessary minutes - whether that's at one time or over several instances - that team is declared the winner, and another exciting game of Capture the Base can commence once again.
In multiplayer you can play as either a ghost (not nova but very similar), a Firebat, who has the flamethrowers and homing/fly-by-wire rockets, Marine and Light Infantry, who has a lot of diferent weapons, can place sentryguns and decloak ghosts

Only Ghosts and Infantry can use the vehicles.

New vids can be found here.
http://www.blizzard.com/ghost/covertops/

LURKERS!

Overlord and Zerglings

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
CRAP!

we can confirm that the GameCube version is no longer in development. A Blizzard representative revealed on the official Starcraft and Warcraft website the reason behind the cancellation. “In order to provide the game envisioned by the console team a set and readily available online solution was needed. Unfortunately the GameCube has no online service and since so much work is going in to the online portion, it would be additional work to release only part of the intended game.” Said the Blizzard representative.

Thankfully the Blizzard worker did reassure gamers that all is not glum for the future and the relationship between Blizzard and Nintendo. “The GameCube and Revolution will still be considered for future products, unfortunately Ghost will only be made available on the Xbox and PS2 at this time.”
Apollogies for the swears.

Osco EDIT: Sorry dude, not in here

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
There's still singleplayer. I don't see how it would be THAT hard to put it on singleplayer. The story better not carry over to SC2, seeing as I have no box or PS2 to play this with.. :(

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
That really really sucks. I'm not about to repurchase an xbox or ps2.
I guess I'll just wait till next gen and hope they're backwards compatible with it.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Blizzard Entertainment(R) Focuses Console-Development Plans on Next-Gen Platforms

IRVINE, Calif.—(BUSINESS WIRE)—March 24, 2006—Blizzard Entertainment Inc. today announced plans to focus the company’s console-development efforts on the next generation of console platforms. As part of this shift in focus, Blizzard(R) will indefinitely postpone production on StarCraft: Ghost(TM) while evaluating opportunities for utilizing the additional power of the new and upcoming console systems.

“Like many in the industry, we’ve been impressed with the potential of the new consoles, and we’re looking forward to exploring that potential further,” stated Mike Morhaime, president and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “In addition to allowing us to determine the best course for StarCraft: Ghost, this review period will help us lay the groundwork for our future console games.”

In the months ahead, Blizzard will further evaluate the next-gen console technology and determine the best plan of action for offering a StarCraft(R) console-gaming experience that meets the company’s expectations and those of its players. Further specifics on plans for StarCraft: Ghost and Blizzard’s future console games, as well as platform and release information, will be revealed at a later date.
Honestly this makes sense on Blizzard's part. The game has been troubled for years, and at this point its no longer worth developing a current gen game. I don't think the game would've ended up being all that great after the obvious development problems it had. I'm sure something similar may return some day on PS3/X360, but for now this makes sense. In my opinion.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Great. Bump this in another 5 years when it gets pushed back even futher.

Super Nova

Smash Rookie
Wow, I was remotely excited about this game.

Is it cancelled like the title said or just pushed back indefinately?

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Super Nova said:
Wow, I was remotely excited about this game.

Is it cancelled like the title said or just pushed back indefinately?
Technically it's pushed back indefinatly, but there is a legitimate chance it may never appear again in any form.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
your namesake just died, how sad.

oh well, a first person SC? it was never meant to be in my opinion. I just want an RTS SC2, especially after that **** cliffhanger and secret mision in Brood wars. stupid hybrid zerg/protoss, i want to play as you!!

Super Nova

Smash Rookie
Ghost was a Third-Person game.

Don't count on SC2 really. World of Warcraft proved that that franchise has A TON of potiential left. Plus Diablo series has been ended so they will have to work on a Warcraft style game like that which could be fun.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Diablo? Ended? Come on, they destroyed the World Stone and Tyrial said that he has no idea what the repercussions of destroying it would be. That sounds like pleanty to go on for Diablo 3.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
SN, if you think after a) leaving SC on a cliffhanger and b) knowing it was voted game of millenium, and c) knowing it sold insanely well and was incredibly popular, do you really think they aren't planning on SC2? SC: Ghost might have been following it in terms of plot, but knowing the huge profits they'd rake in, SC2 has a very good chance of arriving....eventually. stupid Blizzard.

Super Nova

Smash Rookie
SN, if you think after a) leaving SC on a cliffhanger and b) knowing it was voted game of millenium, and c) knowing it sold insanely well and was incredibly popular, do you really think they aren't planning on SC2? SC: Ghost might have been following it in terms of plot, but knowing the huge profits they'd rake in, SC2 has a very good chance of arriving....eventually. stupid Blizzard.
Starcraft was in 1997. Blizzard has made no remote indication that they planned to devote anytime to creating Starcraft 2. In fact, save for Starcraft: Ghost they made no indication that they had any interest in the story. Also, when was Starcraft voted "Game of the Millenium" because I'd have to disagree with that. It just seems Starcraft was an experiment that was successfully but they have decided to drop.

World of "any blizzard franchise" is a great concept. World of Starcraft or World of Diablo would have been great games, but the branch that is workin gon World of Warcraft plans to reap it for the rest of it's life. MMOs have a tendency to not die after a certain period of time. Take Ultima and Everquest. The games are substandard by today's rationing, yet they are still immensely popular.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Super Nova said:
Starcraft was in 1997. Blizzard has made no remote indication that they planned to devote anytime to creating Starcraft 2. In fact, save for Starcraft: Ghost they made no indication that they had any interest in the story. Also, when was Starcraft voted "Game of the Millenium" because I'd have to disagree with that. It just seems Starcraft was an experiment that was successfully but they have decided to drop.

World of "any blizzard franchise" is a great concept. World of Starcraft or World of Diablo would have been great games, but the branch that is workin gon World of Warcraft plans to reap it for the rest of it's life. MMOs have a tendency to not die after a certain period of time. Take Ultima and Everquest. The games are substandard by today's rationing, yet they are still immensely popular.
Blizzard does plan to make Starcraft 2 as they stated implicitly in interviews around the time that Ghost was announced. I would guess that they will show off either SC2 or Diablo 3 at e3 this year.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
If they did, I would be rather shocked.

I searched a good bit when Ghost was announced for any info on SC2.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
BACH said:
Someone should change the title since Ghost was not cancelled.
You're technically right, as it's no longer in development (which is different from altogether cancelled) but for now I'll leave it as cancelled to get the point across.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
Osco316 said:
I'd like to see a World of Starcraft.

Because I'm already addicted to WoW and I like the Starcraft (RTS) games better.
Amen to that. I am not much of a Warcraft fan but really loved the Starcraft series. I'd run out and buy that as soon as possible.

byakugan28

Smash Apprentice
Still not made yet.... i've been waiting all these years since it was announced. But i think if they DO make a starcraft 2 it will be way more better...

SnaKKer

Smash Rookie
I'm glad it got cancelled... it looked like a PS1 game. Just make SC2, it's what everyone has wanted the whole time.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
They're saving it for next-gen, while simulataneously completely reworking the game. Lets not worry. I'm more focused on Starcraft II anyway, everything looks like it's just coming together.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
What? They canceled the game. Ghost is dead. Starcraft 2's development was never hindered by this game at all.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Sigh... I didn't say Starcraft II was hindered by the game. I don't know how you got that impression.

It was said in an interview that they are reworking the game (there's a link somewhere but I'll probably never find it), and I believe the game is still Indefinitely Suspended, and probably forgot about, but not quite cancelled.

Top Bottom