• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Standard Terms List (Currently Discussing Marth terms)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
As a Smash researching community, it is our responsibility to define a rigid set of terms to unify smash language to make it more precise to discuss smash. For instance, if we were researching math, and I used the word "plus" and you used the word "obligation" for the same definition, we wouldn't get very far. This is an attempt to unify our speech to more quickly understand the game.

General/Tournaments
Super Smash Bros. 64/Melee/Brawl (SSB[64/M/B) {...}
Tourney {Tournament}
Advanced Technique (AT) {a technique Nintendo has not told us how to do}
Space Animals {Fox, Falco, Wolf; They're Animals... FROM SPACE}
John {Excuse; see: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=79482 )
Mindgames {roughly: out-thinking your opponent. Don't use this term except in a joking/ sarcastic fashion.}
Sex Kick {Aerial with a long lasting hitbox and very little (if any) change in animation)
Metagame {The total sum of knowledge on a topic at it's highest level}
Lag {Time during an action where your character is vulnerable; i.e. startup/ cooldown of an attack}
Lag (network) {choppy connection that results in sub-par frame rates}
Lag (TV) {time it takes a TV to draw a signal. Has the same effects as Input Delay}
Bracket {Organizational structure of a tournament}
Single Elimination {Style of bracket where if you lose one set, you're eliminated from the bracket}
Double Elimination {Style of bracket where a player must lose two sets before being eliminated from the bracket; SBR Standard}
Pools {Section of a tourney for round robin play to eliminate people to make a smaller bracket; used to properly seed brackets[/b]
Game {a single normal round of smash}
Set (a.k.a. Match) {A best of # group of games; typically a best of 3 or best of 5}
Counterpick (CP) {Choosing the stage or your character for the next game in a set}
Smash Back Room (SBR) {group of the best players/ metagamers on Smashboards}
Out of State (OoS) {someone from a different state; Not to be confused with Out of Shield (OoS)}

Researching
Frame {A single iterative time step of the game. Melee and Brawl both run at 60 Frames per Second. Fundamental Timing unit of the game}
Frame # (#F) {A way to indicate that something occurs # Frames from the start of the frame breakdown - i.e. the beginning of the attack}
Frame Data {any breakdown describing when certain things happen in relation to other things using the Frame as the time unit}
Frame Advantage {Number of frames someone who attacks someone else's shield is able to act before the shielder}
Autocancel #1 #2 {the attack autocancels if the character lands before #1 frames of the move has finished, or after #2 frames of the move have finished}

Melee And Brawl
Turn Around Neutral B (Reverse Neutral B) {in the air, tap back, then neutral B; turns your neutral b around}
Boost Grab {interrupting the initial frames of a dash attack with a grab; can be used for extra momentum}
Dash {the initial section of a run}
Fox Trotting {Starting a new dash at the end of your dash window}
Jump Cancel (JC) usmash/Up-B {During the jump startup, usmash or up b; does a grounded usmash/up b}
Pivot Grab {melee: pivot into a grab; brawl: hit back then grab: performs a special reverse grab}
Auto Cancel {landing while during a specific window on an attack resulting in only normal landing lag}
Meteor Cancel {canceling momentum of a Meteor Smash}
Shield Canceling {shield to stop running}
De-sync [ICs] {having the ICs do separate things or with separate timings}
Rising Pound [jiggs] {Jiggs' upward angled side b}
Missile Canceling [Samus]{landing right after shooting a missle with samus}
Short Hop (SH) {releasing the jump command before leaving the ground; shorter jump}
FastFall (FF) {pressing down on the way down while in normal aerial control; fall faster}
Shield Grabbing {grabbing out of shield}
Teching {pressing R before being slammed into a surface; cuts knockback/ stands up fast}
Edge Hogging {being on the edge preventing someone else from being on it}
Edge Hopping (aka Ledge Hopping){dropping from the edge, then air jumping back to the stage}
Edge Jumping (aka Ledge Jumping) {Jumping off of the edge by pressing a Jump input while on the edge}
Dash Dancing {dashing one way, then the other during dash}
Hitlag {The freeze frames shared by the hitter and hittee of an attack after hit, but before the hittee is sent flying}
Hitstun {The window which someone sent flying can take no actions in}
Directional Influence (DI) {Bending the trajectory of knockback by holding the control stick in a perpendicular to knockback position during the last frame of hitlag; "DI" ONLY applies to the bending of knockback while being hit, not while moving your character through the air}
Smash DI (SDI) {Pressing the control stick during hitlag to give you an instantaneous small teleport}
Automatic Smash DI (ASDI) {Holding a direction during the last frame of hitlag with either stick - c stick has priority - to generate a teleport 1/2 SDI length in the direction held}
Drifting {Holding sideways in the air while under control of your character to cause it to move more left or right; NOT DI}
Tumble {The window which someone sent flying can take an action in, but is still falling}
Blockstun {The window which a shielder is stuck in shield after the shield is hit NOT COUNTING HITLAG}
Powershield {Shielding only a few frames before an attack would hit you and getting the different shield}
Short Hop (optional]Double/ triple) Laser (SH[D/T]L) [Fox, Falco, Wolf]
Float Cancel [Peach]{dropping out of a float to the ground to end an aerial; normal landing lag in Melee}
Needle Canceling [Sheik] {pressing R to cancel charging needles on sheik}
Shield Dropping {on a platform out of your shield, slowly press down to drop through the platform, from directly in your shield}
Jump Cancel _____ (JC _____) {canceling your jump with ______}
Jump Canceling (no abbrv) {canceling something with a jump}
Bomb Jump [samus] {receiving a vertical boost from a down b exploasion (samus only)}
Zair {an aerial done using the grab button that is not a nair, fair, dair, bair, or uair}
Tether Recovery [anyone with a zair] {brawl: autosweetspots the edge - fails if edgehogged; Melee can grab the wall anywhere and doesn't afraid of anything}
Walljump [several characters] {Jumping off a wall; does not take a midair jump}
Sweetspot {grabbing the edge directly out of your recovery, removing the ending animation; alternatively, grabbing the edge from max range; when referencing a part of an attack, the hitbox that has the most effect}
Grab Release {when a grabee breaks out of a grab}
Chain Grab (CG) {Grabbing a character just thrown before their hitstun ends}
Out of Shield (OoS) {performing an action from in your shield}

Brawl
Platform Auto Snap {Pressing down when passing through a moving platform to automatically land on it}
B-Reversal {smash back immediately after doing a special; turns you around in some specials}
B Bouncing (BB) {using momentum from a momentum generating special to push you}
Boost [Smashing/Item Throwing/Pivot Grab] (replaces the term DAC/ DACUS){Immediately canceling a dash attack by either a usmash, throwing an item, or pivot grabbing; slides various distances}
Craq Walking {Drifting backwards and taking a single step backwards when landing to gain a momentum slide}
Glide Toss {throwing an item in the early part of a roll; ends the roll with momentum}
Jump Cancel (JC) Item Throw {canceling a jump with an item throw; generates momentum}
Platform Drop Cancel {begin dropping through a platform put up your shield; end in standing shield position on the platform}
Reverse Aerial Rush (RAR) {run, turn around, jump; in the air facing opposite how you were running, with momentum in the direction of your run}
Edge Popping {holding down to avoid sweetspot}
Grab Armor (Armor Grab) {The superarmor received while you are grabbing, on the frame you grabbed them}
AirWalk {run off the edge, and walk back onto it}
Crawl Dashing {walk forward, start crawling back; slide backwards}
Jab Lock {locking someone in a fallen state with jabs}
Stutter Stepping {using the window for pressing sideways for an fsmash to dash a bit then fsmash}
Dribbling {glide tossing downward to generate different movement}
Infinite Second Jump (ISJ) ?better term? {performing a double jump right before landing with certain aerials or specials; instead of landing, you double jump, refreshes double jump}
Dashing Usmash {doing a usmash directly out of dash}
Dash Attack Hit Cancel Up Smash (DAHCUS) {cancels a dash attack immediately into a usmash after hit; only in early part of dash attack}
Edge Hugging (Hugging) {running off the edge, and immediately grabbing it by holding back}
Instant Pivot Grab {inputting dashgrabcstick back; performs a pivot grab very quickly}
Dashing Usmash {pressing up C to perform a usmash out of run/dash}
Input Delay {Built in time it takes your input to take effect when playing on Wifi}

Char
acter Specific (Currently Marth)

Post Terms specific to characters, making sure to include alternate names, abbreviations, a description of what it is, and how to do it.

Meta Knight
Infinite Dimensional Cape (IDC) {MK's down b infinite onland stall, performed by pressing down-b and mashing up-c}
Mach Tilting [MK] {buffer an ftilt after a dtilt by holding the control stick forward down and pressing A; results in a fast 2hit ftilt after the dtilt} - Just a buffered pair of ftilts.

Snake
Grenade Stripping {shield dropping a grenade as snake to immediately make another grenade drop to the ground (even if held)}
Recovery Grab Release (RGR) {grabbing a recovering character out of their up, then grab releasing them to their doom; possibly early so the cypher hits the grabber, immediately forcing the grab release}
C4 Jump {using the down b in the air to explode oneself upward}

Falco
Laser Lock {locking someone in a fallen state with lasers}
Short Hop (optional: Double) Laser (SH[D]L) {Short Hop and shoot 1 or 2 lasers}
Shortened Phantasm {pressing B while doing a phantasm to shorten it to one of several lengths}

King Dedede
Swallowcide {Suicide KO using the swallow attack}

Mr. Game And Watch
Bucket Braking {Breaking out of hitstun with a neutral air, fast falling, and then down Bing to stop all knockback momentum}

Marth
Short Hop Double Fair (SHDF) {short hop with a fair on the way up and on the way down}

Pikachu
Quick Attack Cancel (QAC) {Quick attack into the ground and immediately double jumping; puts you in the air instead of in special land lag}

Pit
Wing Dashing {using pit's up b just off the groud to generate movement or a quick aerial}

Wolf
Scarring {using wolf's side b right from the edge to make it appear as if he goes through the stage}

Lucas
PK Thunder 2 (pkt2) {the recovery portion of ness' and lucas' up-b}
Thunderslide {sliding off the edge with lucas during a JC up-b to be able to perform pkt2 very quickly}
Zap Jump {generating huge amounts of vertical momentum by double jumping and pk fireing at the same time with lucas}

Ness
PK Thunder 2 (pkt2) {the recovery portion of ness' and lucas' up-b}

Yoshi
Dragonic Reverse {Double jump and immediate bair with yoshi to land again with a momentum burst}

Melee
Jump Cancel Grab (JC grab) {canceling the startup of a jump into a standing grab}
L cancel {pressing L/R/Z within 6 frames of landing with an aerial to cut landing lag in half}
SHFFL {Short Hop aerial Fast Fall L cancel}
Wavelanding {air dodging into the ground to generate a momentum slide}
Wavedashing {wavelanding immediately after leaving the ground}
Waveshining {wavedashing out of a shine}
Waveshield {wavedashing out of a shield}
Dash Canceling {pressing down to cancel a dash into a crouch}
Pivot {making use of the single standing frame during the turnaround of a dash dance}
Crouch Canceling {crouching when being hit to reduce knockback, hitstun, and launch angle}
Pillaring {shield pressure technique of multiple iterations of an aerial into a shine}
Moon Walking {input back at the start of a dash w/o centering the control stick to generate backwards momentum}
Double Jump Cancel (DJC) {canceling your second jump with an aerial; select characters only}

Depreciated

SHAD (Short Hop Air Dodge) - this doesn't need to be a term and is no way resembling an AT
Shellshifting {squirtle running turn around}
Dash Pivot Cancel {IASA turn around lag; slide w/ an attack opposite your movement}
Snakedashing {using snake's Boost Usmash}
DACUS (no dash attack hit) {replaced by "Boost Usmash"}
DLX Hit Cancel {replaced by DAHCUS}
Hyphen Smash {replaced by "Dashing Usmash"}

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
How many character specific terms do you want to add to this? For example the IBL(Ice Block Lock) for the IC's or their hobbling and altgrabbing...

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I guess I better cross check this list with my AT sticky to make sure everything is correctly named from now on (Some parts of it is up to date, whilst others aren't)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i suppose we should technically add all of them. I just started with these to get it going. I guess i'll restructure this a bit to account for char specific terms, and we can go in order of characters listing everything that needs to be in it, and what it's called.

Edit: @Vyse: i stole most of this from your AT sticky to start with, picking the appropriate actual name as necessary :p

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Perhaps you should add a different section for character-specific AT names, as there are quite a few of those.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Here let's start with GW:

GW's AT's:
1. Bucket Braking
2. N/A.

:p.

Seriously though I can list a ton for a lot of characters if need be. Just tell me where to post them :).

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I'm just going in tier list order. so start w/ MK.

I'll add those G&W ones now, but idk what either is could you clarify?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm just going in tier list order. so start w/ MK.

I'll add those G&W ones now, but idk what either is could you clarify?
Bucket Braking is using FF'ing a nair during knockback into your bucket to cancel all momentum. Without DI GW can survive a fresh MK dsmash at 170% on FD at the edge with this. Check out the thread on the GW boards for more information.

Also, I was joking with the 1. 2. things. N/A as in he only has 1...I was ragging on GW >_>.

Nevermind >_>.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i had a feeling i knew what "bucket braking" was, i'd just not heard the term i'd only heard something nub like "bucket canceling" which is obviously a ******** name for it.

also, knowing how ppl name techniques in brawl, "N/A" seems like a legit name so... eh

Mmac

Smash Lord
For Terms, this is what I know that isn't on there right now.

<Brawl>
Quick/Instant Pivot Grabbing(Not yet official name for it) {Very fast Pivot Grab By inputing Dash > Grab > C-Stick in opposite direction. C-Stick needs to be on Smash/Specials}

Glide Cancelling {Using a Glide Attack to cancel out the landing lag of a Glide}

<Melee & Brawl>
Grab Release Setups {Purposely allowing the opponent to break out of a grab into an Attack/Regrab}

Just a few on the top of my head that isn't already up there. I don't really know what other AT's or terms that MetaKnight has other than Shuttle Loop Reverse, but that is probably classified under the B-Reversal.

Levitas

the moon
Ness players are calling his "zap jump" firebounding. It generates forward and upward momentum and can be wavebounced... though MK is being discussed now...

SCOTU

Smash Hero
glide canceling isn't really worth having a term for, I added the other stuff

@MuBa, whare is the Mach Tilt anyways?

Plz include a descriptions and inputs for terms

Mmac

Smash Lord
Instant pivot grabbing is nothing more than a boost grab out of an instant dash attack and it'd be put under the "depreciated" terms
Not really, especially since more than 1/3 of the characters don't even slide when doing it. Plus Dash Attacking isn't even involved in this technique (In fact, it makes it IMPOSSIBLE to do!)

MuBa

Smash Lord
glide canceling isn't really worth having a term for, I added the other stuff

@MuBa, whare is the Mach Tilt anyways?

Plz include a descriptions and inputs for terms
I saw that term in vyse's The Comprehensive Guide to AT's, Discoveries and Glitches thread:

- Mach F-Tilt
How to Perform: Do a D-tilt. After the sword has poked out, buffer an F-tilt by holding the joystick diagonal down-forward and pressing A.
Effect: After the D-tilt, the first two hits of the F-tilt will come out near-simultaneously instead of one after the other. Press A again during the double-strike to make it a triple strike, deploying the full F-tilt combo in less than 1/10 of a second.
Video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nkh6z4w3-uw

And I've stated my reason in the previous post to call it just a Mach Tilt Combo because a D-tilt is also involved in the process and it's also a multi-hit inescapable chain of attacks.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Mach Tilt Combo sounds like just that...a combo, not an AT. I wouldn't call Sheik's tilt lock a Tilt Lock Combo, so I would consider drawing a line between ATs and combos and not naming any AT a combo.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
exactly how many presses of A are involved in "Mach Tilting"? from the description you gave, i got that it was just once for the dtilt and once for two ftilts, but if it's two presses of A for the ftilt, this is ******** to have as a term since it's just buffering an ftilt lol

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
exactly how many presses of A are involved in "Mach Tilting"? from the description you gave, i got that it was just once for the dtilt and once for two ftilts, but if it's two presses of A for the ftilt, this is ******** to have as a term since it's just buffering an ftilt lol
It's one for the Dtilt and one for two portions of the Ftilt.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Ok, since no one's posting any more on MK, lets start going over Snake's Terms. I've already got Grenade Stripping, which seems legit to me.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Yeah, and "mortar sliding," which is DACUS.

Btw, I think if we go with DACUS, then "DLX hit cancel" should become "on-hit DACUS," IMO.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
^and making the "DLX hit" into the DACUS.

Course we could make it DAHCUS to avoid confusion.. but this is better for the other thread amirite?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
This thread works too, since this is ultimately what's going to be changed to reflect discussion in the other thread.

I'm cool with either DACUS, DAHCUS, or Ankoku Blasting for the DLX

Mmac

Smash Lord
Would Cypher Grabbed count as a Snake specific term, even though it's a technique by everyone else against Snake's?

Game & Watch and Sonic come to mind, but I have never seen anyone get grabbed out of their UpB's due to their sweetspoting and Invincibility Frames, just seems physically impossible to me...

SCOTU

Smash Hero
It's definately not a snake only term, but i think it'll go under snake and sonic for char spec. but it needs a better name than cypher grabbed.

well, actually, i can't come up with a better name atm.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Technically there are actually 2 types of "Cypher Grabbing." The first is where they grab the cypher itself, and Snake simply falls. The second type is where they grab Snake himself, and simply grab release him to his doom. The first is Snake-specific, but the second applies to Snake, Sonic, GW, Pit, and I think someone else. Basically, recoveries where the character is not in a free-fall state after using it. Ankoku was the one who did the research on that.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i'm pretty sure what happens when "you grab the cypher itself" is that you're actually grabbing snake, but the cypher just immediately hits you and forces a grab break for the snake.

This mechanic applies to anyone who can attack out of their up-b, i.e. Snake, sonic, GW, Pit and ROB, but pit, G&W, and ROB aren't really afflicted by it since, Pit gets wrecked on any attack, G&W can sweetspot the edge, and ROB probably has more fuel left.

Kirk

Smash Champion
i'm pretty sure what happens when "you grab the cypher itself" is that you're actually grabbing snake, but the cypher just immediately hits you and forces a grab break for the snake.
This.

It's the same scenario, just depending on when you grab him, the cypher will either hit you and break the grab immediately or it won't.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Why don't we just call Snake's a Cypher Grab, The Cypher Break a Cypher Grab Break, and Sonic's a Spring Grab? Unless someone else has a better term...

Also the difference is that Snake is pretty much dead on a Cypher Break. Normal Grabs he has some chance to survive if he doesn't have a C4 out already.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I think we should have 1 term for this, not have different terms for different situations/ characters. Also, sonic is pretty fuked if he gets grabbed outta his up b

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm still not entirely sure why it needs a term. I originally made a thread about the "cypher grab" to explain why it was a faulty term, since you weren't actually grabbing the Cypher, and made note that all it was was abusing the fact that those characters didn't get their Up+Bs back from a grab release.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I would suggest to call it grab gimping.

A) Very short, and it makes sense. Gimping is generally a WIDELY used term to represent scoring a low percent, or premature K.O. by not actually using a finish attack.

B) This technique performs a grab, and I can't think of any other situation where someone would be gimped solely by a grab.

C) Gimping is normally done to recovering opponents. Normally, you cannot grab a recovering opponent, because edgeguarding takes place primarily in the air, and then on the ledge. Therefore, this term is pretty straightforward as to when you might be able to do it.

Also, for those of you that have difficulty grabbing Sonic's out of their UpB: They tend to Fair to avoid getting grabbed when they must UpB close to the stage. However, when Sonic is air released, he goes pretty far. Therefore, I recommend standing at the edge to bait the Fair, and then Pivot grabbing, which should at worst miss, or activate grab armor, as you still grab Sonic, provided you have significant range.

Of course, I haven't played a Sonic in a while, so I haven't had the chance to test this strategy, but most theory suggests its success. Marth has a stupidly huge Pivot grab box, and I suspect D3 would be able to capitalize as well, along with a few others.

Lastly, I would add 'gimp' to the terms list. It's easy to explain to new players what gimping is, and it's a widely used term throughout both the Melee and Brawl community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom