• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stages by splat

SwordsRbroken

Smash Apprentice
This looks amazing...I would download, but I play too many 2v2s for this stage to work well for me. :/

Anyone have a lag fix for 2v2s yet?

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Looks like it's coming along, and I'm glad you went with this platform layout. Good stuff SPLAT, hehe ;)
Hope all is well, wherever you've been.

- Bamesy

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
ive been waiting for this to be complete for a looong time, cant wait!!

Does it have a PM camera or the brawl camera?

B.W.

Smash Champion
Many people have have stated that there's a lot of extra SSE stage on the sides of this stage.

People also keep asking someone who knows how to just cut the extra stage off the sides as that would probably fix tons, if not all, the lag.

210stuna

Smash Lord
Many people have have stated that there's a lot of extra SSE stage on the sides of this stage.

People also keep asking someone who knows how to just cut the extra stage off the sides as that would probably fix tons, if not all, the lag.
Know anybody that can do it? Or was that the gist of your post to begin with, sorry if the second is it.

I downloaded the stage, and liked it a lot Splat! Minus the lag of course.
The Bowser themed music just gets me so rowdy, I could swim swiftly in a maze of memories kindled with the times I've played this stage with my friend.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
So I checked out the excess SSE stuff, but dealing with it is over my head in terms of editing.
There's a lot of extra poly around there, but I use Blender and it's having issues importing the files, as none of the texture files are with the material files, and all sorts of nodes are lining up or something. I don't know, Blender stuff, once I get it in an editable form I should be able to deal with it, but I can't load it on whatever soft-ware I have.

Shouldn't be a tough fix if it's just the excess stuff causing the lag, but I'm not even sure it's that. I have a (really stupid way I did it) Sky Orpheon (the WHOLE stage and re-texture + model import) plopped over a 3rd Transformation of Castle Siege with a massive Dragon-thing in the background and lava everywhere, ALL shoved out of view but still moving, and the stage works fine. LOL

This stage just has a bit of SSE mountain side, but not with much depth, and it's all static anyway.
It's probably the crazy lighting or pretty animations that are causing it.
At least, that's with my very little, completely lacking, negative zoned expertise.
I'll keep working at it though. I'll send it to good stage people too when I quit on it.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
So I checked out the excess SSE stuff, but dealing with it is over my head in terms of editing.
There's a lot of extra poly around there, but I use Blender and it's having issues importing the files, as none of the texture files are with the material files, and all sorts of nodes are lining up or something. I don't know, Blender stuff, once I get it in an editable form I should be able to deal with it, but I can't load it on whatever soft-ware I have.

Shouldn't be a tough fix if it's just the excess stuff causing the lag, but I'm not even sure it's that. I have a (really stupid way I did it) Sky Orpheon (the WHOLE stage and re-texture + model import) plopped over a 3rd Transformation of Castle Siege with a massive Dragon-thing in the background and lava everywhere, ALL shoved out of view but still moving, and the stage works fine. LOL

This stage just has a bit of SSE mountain side, but not with much depth, and it's all static anyway.
It's probably the crazy lighting or pretty animations that are causing it.
At least, that's with my very little, completely lacking, negative zoned expertise.
I'll keep working at it though. I'll send it to good stage people too when I quit on it.

Have no idea how stage editing works but can't the new BrawlBox edit the stage model now, or something along those lines?

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I haven't browsed the new box too much (first time I've touched it since Dec or something) but I'll keep digging.
Otherwise, no idea, but probably. haha

B.W.

Smash Champion
If you can fix it, or if you can find someone willing to, you'll make tons of people happy.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I'm gonna keep working at it after I update my 2.5b with our normal full viable stage-list.

It shouldn't be difficult once I figure out how, but figuring out how has been difficult. I really doubt that extra stuff is the 'lag' issue anyway, but I need to learn this stuff anyway.
I might try getting rid of some lighting/animation stuff too. Gonna **** that stage up a bit to fix it. I'm sure others can do a better job. lol

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
You can't just delete polygons in Brawlbox though, it causes a lot of problems. Also I heard Blender doesn't work very well with Brawlbox when importing/exporting, and 3DS Max is the only way to get .dae model files to work with Brawlbox.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Good to know.
I'm unable to do anything related to that file (.dae model file 420whatever that has the excess SSE stuff attached) then.

I'll play with other things in the meantime, as I'm quite sure that isn't causing the lag anyway.

Edit: Have you looked into trying to fix the lag on this Stage yourself Xeno? You're a pro. ;)

Editedit: I noticed he's done a lot of work lowering the poly count on the imported statue-pillar, but it's still high. I'm gonna just remove that sadly (or try without messing stuff up) and see if that works better.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Not yet. I'm not too experienced with 3DS Max personally, I've spent roughly 3 hours playing around with it back a few months ago when trying to make a Slender Man over C. Falcon import. I don't even have it with me right now anymore, though, and I'm still fairly busy with other things in the meantime. But reducing the excess SSE segments will definitely get rid of some, if not, all lag, because they're eating up quite a chunk of it.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I got hdx, but I've never used it before...
In other news, I've made it completely lag-less (as far as we've been able to tell) in doubles, but all I did was remove the statue-pillar.
Mentioned it before, but splat said he minimized it by 170 or something poly's, but the count was still really high. It removed a lot of M2000's work on the lighting of it, but I'm not too concerned with the ascetic of the pillar (especially without the statue) when it sacrifices game-play.
Only had a couple matches with some bots to test it, but didn't have any in them. If it's acceptable after our next smash-fest (whenever the **** that might be) then I'll upload it, but it's not exactly complicated to do.
Actually, I'll probably just upload the entire Stage and Module folders once I have the icons for everything, as a 41 viable stage-list is pretty cool.
Leaving Kart for this stage, won't quit on it if it's not ready yet. It's too good.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
hmm...does that mean we can't add some effects to it? Cause right now, its a little plain (it needs some cute things in the background).

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I got hdx, but I've never used it before...
In other news, I've made it completely lag-less (as far as we've been able to tell) in doubles, but all I did was remove the statue-pillar.
Mentioned it before, but splat said he minimized it by 170 or something poly's, but the count was still really high. It removed a lot of M2000's work on the lighting of it, but I'm not too concerned with the ascetic of the pillar (especially without the statue) when it sacrifices game-play.
Only had a couple matches with some bots to test it, but didn't have any in them. If it's acceptable after our next smash-fest (whenever the **** that might be) then I'll upload it, but it's not exactly complicated to do.
Actually, I'll probably just upload the entire Stage and Module folders once I have the icons for everything, as a 41 viable stage-list is pretty cool.
Leaving Kart for this stage, won't quit on it if it's not ready yet. It's too good.
Soooo you should have another smahsfest yesterday... lol! I can't wait until this stage is 100% done. Mario Kart will be ejected from Project M immediately.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I can't believe no one has given this Project M camera... If it is as easy as I have read.
I haven't done this yet, but will soon.
Had a few smashers over last night but I didn't play and didn't get any feed-back, we'll have one today to do the real testing. haha

It's completely lagless with that pillar gone, as far as I know, and a PM camera would top it's completion off. I'll get on that in the next few days, as I don't have any immediate plans aside from completing our stage-lists.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
I managed to remove the excess SSE parts in 3DSMax a while ago and it did eleminate the lag from 4 player matches as far as I can tell. Unfortunately though, the stage now looks like this:

Nevermind the black edges, the camera doesn't zoom out far enough the capture those in actual gameplay. Proof that the SSE stuff is actually gone:

I just gotta figure out what I did to mess up the UV mapping =/

Timde9

Smash Cadet
I managed to remove the excess SSE parts in 3DSMax a while ago and it did eleminate the lag from 4 player matches as far as I can tell. Unfortunately though, the stage now looks like this:

Nevermind the black edges, the camera doesn't zoom out far enough the capture those in actual gameplay. Proof that the SSE stuff is actually gone:

I just gotta figure out what I did to mess up the UV mapping =/
I dunno why that happened to you but I am gonna try to edit it myself in 3ds max.

*EDIT*
Okay so I was able to cut out the SSE stuff pretty easily without any UVW issues but the stage still lags. I realized that most of the lag is coming from the fact that the main platform has too many polygons. Opening in 3dsMax and applying a ProOptimizer should do the trick but the problem is that the file is so big that it crashes brawlbox before I can export. I will try older versions to see if maybe they can export it.

*EDIT*
Okay so I got the models all in 3ds max. It is going to take some manual editing but I am going to cut out all the non visible polygons and run a ProOptimizer to remove as many as I can without distortion and also keep the SSE stuff cut off because who wants that anyway. This should make a totally lagless bowser's castle but it might take a few hours.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
You should make it a two-platform layout while you're at it. We don't have any small two-platform stages.

Edit: and we have an overabundance of triangle stages
it'd be really cool if this stage became official and if it had a high ceiling, it'd be such a fantastic starter then
...then I could make Yoshi's Island a counterpick again :)

Arcalyth

GLS | root
Yeah, but we already have YS, BF, FoD, and DL as triangle stages... do we really need another one?

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I'd argue none has the specific platform configuration that the bowser one does and the thing that makes that stage primarily fun is how short that top platform is. Not having a top platform is a lot less interesting than having a short top platform.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
I suppose, it's like a small version of something halfway between like... Halberd and PS2. hmm.

We really need more high ceiling stages for sure though. I wish there was a tourney-legal version of Japes. (With the Klaptrap because hell yeah that **** takes skill to time and end combos with hahahaha)

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Definitely the high ceiling stages are a thing that needs to be addressed.

Timde9

Smash Cadet
Here is the stage with the SSE stuff removed. Had to fiddle with the materials for a while to get the transparency to work correctly but it looks perfect in game now. Seems to cut down on lag some but I still believe the main issue is the main platform which is now the biggest object in the stage in terms of filesize. The problem is brawlbox (every version i try) has serious problems with this platform and any time I try to replace it, it crashes brawlbox and the stage, so I guess this is the best I can do for now.

Somebody please let me know if this cuts down lag for you at all. I noticed a little bit but I use dolphin on a PC so on a WII maybe it is more dramatic.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Here is the stage with the SSE stuff removed. Had to fiddle with the materials for a while to get the transparency to work correctly but it looks perfect in game now. Seems to cut down on lag some but I still believe the main issue is the main platform which is now the biggest object in the stage in terms of filesize. The problem is brawlbox (every version i try) has serious problems with this platform and any time I try to replace it, it crashes brawlbox and the stage, so I guess this is the best I can do for now.

Somebody please let me know if this cuts down lag for you at all. I noticed a little bit but I use dolphin on a PC so on a WII maybe it is more dramatic.
I doesn't lag anywhere near as much with 4 players as the default, but it still slightly lags. I'm testing it using high-pixel count characters, of course. Also, the black rising ash in the background of this one looks awkward, since you can clearly tell where the animation screen/layer ends at the top.
This is it without the back-round pillar, and it seems to be completely lag-free in all forms of play.
At least as far as we've tested.
http://www.mediafire.com/?tc2iza0x0k1v0b1

Would it be easy to re-skin? If so, how is that done, and can it be done in BB?
This one works perfectly with 4 players as far as I can tell.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Seems to cut down on lag some but I still believe the main issue is the main platform which is now the biggest object in the stage in terms of filesize.
I realized that most of the lag is coming from the fact that the main platform has too many polygons.
I hate to admit it, but I actually think/fear it's the pillar that's creating the lag. It is my first 3D-model and import - the amount of items in the 'materials' folder in BrawlBox is staggering.
Dropping in to give you guys an update: I found a way to change the mapping on the fron pillar so that it loses a whole lot of material nodes.

The model I'm working on now uses 47 nodes and about 11 textures. That might sound like a lot, but the previous version used 218 nodes and 15 textures, a whopping decrease of 171 nodes. I'm hoping that's what was creating the lag - as it has proven to be a hellish work the get the texture mapping properly working.
THAT PILLAR

DEM PILLARS

MANGZ PILLARZ DATZ

If the stage looks plain without the pillar, what can be added there will low poly to make it more interesting? I like it fine, but have had comments about the blandness of it.

Top Bottom