• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stages by splat

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
What is that pillar in the back for? It seems like a Statue should be there.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I move for this over Mario Circuit to be included in the default set. We need more good stages over crappy ones.

EDIT: Once lag issues are fixed of course.

QWA

Smash Apprentice
This looks sweet, I'm going to test it.

EDIT: Epic, noticeable lag occasionally, as other people said, but I'm sure that can be fixed if the background isn't so gigantic. Good ****, man!

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I know this is like a total newbie question but is there any way you can make a full pack and just make it so I need to copy it on my private folder and call it day? I don't know how to get all the icons in place and I don't know how to replace stages.

QWA

Smash Apprentice
I know this is like a total newbie question but is there any way you can make a full pack and just make it so I need to copy it on my private folder and call it day? I don't know how to get all the icons in place and I don't know how to replace stages.
Unfortunately, it's not that simple. However, the stage will still work if you replace the file in the stage folder, you just won't have the custom icons, name, etc.

I wish I could help more.

EDIT: Apparently, I was wrong.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Actually it is pretty simple to just make a full pack with the stage/icons/name/etc.

Hell I could probably do this right now lol.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Started as soon as I said it. It's uploading to my dropbox as we speak, I'll post it once it's done.

It'll contain the icons and name changes for most sections of the game as well as my personal BRSTM pack with the song names changed in game as well as the actual stage (v0.2)

EDIT: Here you guys go. Let me know if there are any problems with dropbox or something. I'm kind of new to using it.

Bowser's Castle Pack

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Unfortunately, it's not that simple. However, the stage will still work if you replace the file in the stage folder, you just won't have the custom icons, name, etc.

I wish I could help more.
It's complex then? Poo. It just looks so clean in P:M and I don't want to ruin the look.

I still want this put in over Mario Circuit. It's much cooler and looks actually useable.

B.W.

Smash Champion
It's complex then? Poo. It just looks so clean in P:M and I don't want to ruin the look.

I still want this put in over Mario Circuit. It's much cooler and looks actually useable.
You should look one post above yours lol.

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
Is there a way to replace the text thats in the random stage select screen? Cause even with all this stuff replaced the game will still list it as Mario Kart there, and iunno where this text might be located

:phone:

yogurtgun1245

Smash Apprentice
Started as soon as I said it. It's uploading to my dropbox as we speak, I'll post it once it's done.

It'll contain the icons and name changes for most sections of the game as well as my personal BRSTM pack with the song names changed in game as well as the actual stage (v0.2)

EDIT: Here you guys go. Let me know if there are any problems with dropbox or something. I'm kind of new to using it.

Bowser's Castle Pack
Could you link the versions of the songs that are included? Just would be nice to have a way to preview them before replacing what I have there.

QWA

Smash Apprentice
Is there a way to replace the text thats in the random stage select screen? Cause even with all this stuff replaced the game will still list it as Mario Kart there, and iunno where this text might be located

There is indeed, you need to go to \private\wii\app\RSBE\pf\system and open the common5.pac with BrawlBox, then you need to go to "sc_selcharacter2_en" and select "MiscData[1]." Find the one that says "Mario Circuit," and rename it in the box below the list.

roymaster803

Smash Apprentice
For the Bowser statue you could just take Bowser's U-taunt, where he roars into the air, and make that the statue. Then just do a texture where everything is dark gray and bam!. You can even use Bowser's model for this. Of course when I say take his U-taunt I mean only 1 frame of it where he is roaring, not the entire animation.

What stage does this go over? I need to know what to rename it.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
For the Bowser statue you could just take Bowser's U-taunt, where he roars into the air, and make that the statue. Then just do a texture where everything is dark gray and bam!. You can even use Bowser's model for this. Of course when I say take his U-taunt I mean only 1 frame of it where he is roaring, not the entire animation.

What stage does this go over? I need to know what to rename it.
mario circuit. The file is called STGKART.pac

B.W.

Smash Champion
Could you link the versions of the songs that are included? Just would be nice to have a way to preview them before replacing what I have there.
I'll get that to you once brawlcustommusic.com comes back up.

Whoops. My bad. It should be fixed now.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I think what would make this stage really unique and visually beautiful would be falling into swimmable lava that does massive amounts of damage even if jumped out of right away.

A combo of water physics and acidic damage.

B.W.

Smash Champion
^ That would take away from it being a more competitive stage. I'm not sure if that's what the stage aims to be, but I think it's fine without any kind of water or acid based anything.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
So I tried it out. Very nice, it lags pretty hard it's pretty much unplayable I only played 1v1 but I noticed to the left and right it's a stage from the SSE. Why is that? Maybe it'd lag less without it?

It looks amazing, I love the idea it just needs work, keep at it man! I'm rooting for you.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
^ That would take away from it being a more competitive stage. I'm not sure if that's what the stage aims to be, but I think it's fine without any kind of water or acid based anything.
My idea wouldn't take away from the competitve nature of the stage in the slightest because:

A. You would have to screw up and fall from a decent height to even touch the lava.

B. Touching the lava at all does so much damage it is basically the same thing as losing one stock from suicide. Your opponent should be able to capitalize on this.

C. If you decide to try and stall in the lava you could be drowned in two seconds or two dips sort of like how balanced brawl deals with Pirate Ship stalling.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Falling in water saves you from dying which gives you a second chance, doesn't matter if it does damage. If you survive from hitting the bottom you can make it back to the stage which skews stage balance.

Characters with little horizontal recovery like Mr. Game & Watch don't need to worry about horizontal recovery anymore, they can land in the lava and then when they go to return to the stage just sweetspot the ledge giving them a chance at living when they should have died which negates one of their weaknesses as a character.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Falling in water saves you from dying which gives you a second chance, doesn't matter if it does damage. If you survive from hitting the bottom you can make it back to the stage which skews stage balance.

Characters with little horizontal recovery like Mr. Game & Watch don't need to worry about horizontal recovery anymore, they can land in the lava and then when they go to return to the stage just sweetspot the ledge giving them a chance at living when they should have died which negates one of their weaknesses as a character.
You have valid concerns, but I believe the stage could be tuned to deal with them appropiately. Massive damage could mean over 100% if need be. And edgeguarding becomes more important but also more predictable if you know they are going for a lava dip.

And I don't disagree with you if the stage creator went my route it would make the stage advantagous to some characters over others. Just like how Final Destination or Smashville are advantagous to some characters over others but are still viable, competitve stages.

What I'm suggesting has never been done before (a lava stage that's actually been balanced) but I believe it can be done.

splat

Smash Lord
Sorry for the lack of updates/replies, but I've gotten fed up with the stage for a bit because I've looked at it far too much in the past week or so.

The camera looks fine to me. And the falling in the lava but not dying thing is totally fine by me. It's sorta cool. And every stage has a misleading thing, really. Like Kongo jungle or whatever. Fall in the water and you're pretty much screwed.
I think the camera needs work, too. The camera in Project M is quite active, while it is pretty static on this stage. As someone suggested before, I might have to get a camera from another Project M stage and put it in here.

I personally haven't had any problems with the lava throwing me off, but then again - I created this thing :p

Have you tried deleting the textures and polygons that make up the majority of the background? Lag is a pretty scary issue no matter how small.
There is definitely some slight frame lag even with 1v1. You might not notice it because its so slight, but I can assure you it is there.
I hate to admit it, but I actually think/fear it's the pillar that's creating the lag. It is my first 3D-model and import - the amount of items in the 'materials' folder in BrawlBox is staggering. I might have to go back to SketchUp and try to decrease the amount of materials by A LOT. I have an idea how, but that'd mean I'd lose the light/shadows Mewtwo2000 created for me. I'll try it anyway.

What is that pillar in the back for? It seems like a Statue should be there.
There is supposed to be a statue, but I haven't been able to properly import the statue yet.

I have positioned Bowser to the pose he's usually in as a statue, but if I check it in Brawl, it messes up and he looks like he's dancing. It's weird and I should look at it more.

That would take away from it being a more competitive stage. I'm not sure if that's what the stage aims to be.
Yes, it does.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I clicked on the image in splat's sig, and I must say, I really like this stage layout. Does it work with P:M? I'm only accepting new stages for that, at the moment.

No one meant that there was literally lava *on* the stage, but that the lava in the background is actually too close to the foreground. It looks odd falling into the lava before hitting the blast zone. The stage needs to be raised slightly or the else background should be pushed back slightly.
Tbh, Skyloft has the same exact problem in P:M. At certain points, the background looks like it's close enough for you to actually land on a roof or even the ground.

Kati

Smash Lord
I got rid of skyloft as soon as m22k made that version with Ganon's castle in the background. I still fail to understand how the pmbr would take skyloft over temple M when the former sacrifices functionality (assuming it still lags in doubles) for aesthetics.

Splat, though I can't see the main pillar being an insurmountable problem, worst case scenario, I finished a fully functional Bowser themed stage yesterday that uses your background. The stage itself is NES themed, so I would still like to see your version be completed as it will (already does) look better.

I think the bones in the Adv420final (w/e it is named) are improperly labelled static, and it was only after I renamed them that I was able to push the lava further into the background (-30 on the z axis seems to be pretty much perfect).

B.W.

Smash Champion
I think the only thing that's sort of iffy in P:M is that the camera isn't overly active. But even if it isn't it's not so bad that it's unplayable.

There are videos on the front page showing me and my step brother playing friendlies in P:M.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
I think raising the stage might help a bit. Although you'd have to modify the top and bottom blast zones to accommodate for the raised pillars. Plus, having a blast zone extremely close to, if not exactly on the lava, it would give off a great sense of fear, that you don't want to touch the lava, or you'll lose a stock.

Also like another user said, it's worth looking into deleting a lot of unnecessary models, or at least culling their textures to make them disappear. You have that huge portion of the rest of that SSE stage far off to the right, you should try to cut that out and see if it makes a difference for the lag you guys are mentioning.

roymaster803

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, because something needs to be done about that lag. Cutting out the unneeded parts of the stage could help. It wouldn't hurt to move the stage a little higher like Xeno said so that the lava is the dead zone and you don't fall through it.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Truth be told, I've never experienced any lag in 1v1. Not even a little bit, but it could have been because the characters used didn't cause the game to lag.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Every character's model has a different polygon count. Characters like peach and zelda have a lot of polygons and are best used to test if a stage lags in 1 v 1 or teams.

Top Bottom