• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Select Screen - Mega Man Stage Discussion

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink

Mega Man Stage Discussion
This thread is dedicated to the discussion on what stages Mega Man does and does not like to use, whether it depends on his abilities to perform well himself on the stage or be outperformed by a different character.

Stage control and your ability to counter pick (CP) your opponent are incredibly important to ensure your victory. Here we will discuss his strengths and weaknesses on the competitive legal stage list, along with a general understanding of what type of character to take or not take to that stage.

Potential topics to consider:
  1. Why does Mega Man need this stage to perform well?
  2. Are there any stages that Mega Man should really never consider selecting?
  3. Does X character do what Mega Man does but better on the stage?
  4. Is there something about the stage that either A.) Negates a weakness or B.) Improves a strength?
Questions like these will make it easier for you to better select your stage. Stages are of course subject to personal preference, but put in a situation where you don't use a stage often or are new to Mega Man, this is helpful knowledge.

STAGES UNDER CONSIDERATION (Wii U):
  • Final Destination (Omegas included)
  • Battlefield
  • Smashville
  • Town and City
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Castle Siege
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Halberd
  • Duck Hunt
  • *Kongo Jungle 64
  • *Skyloft
  • *Pokemon Stadium 2
* = Stage is not as universally accepted, but is used nonetheless.

I hope that this thread is helpful, and sparks some good discussion. Let's get discussing!

Last edited:

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Uhhh maybe it's just me but I'm going to go ahead and say never play on Lylat Cruise....not just for Megaman tho....just don't' play on that stage ever...never.

Peabnut Bubber

Smash Cadet
NNID
Peabnut124
3DS FC
2449-4746-6273
Uhhh maybe it's just me but I'm going to go ahead and say never play on Lylat Cruise....not just for Megaman tho....just don't' play on that stage ever...never.
This stage got changed in the most recent patch. It no longer has the unforgiving ledges, and so recovery becomes easy. Great Mega Man stage.

Peabnut Bubber

Smash Cadet
NNID
Peabnut124
3DS FC
2449-4746-6273
I've heard people in the past talk about Battlefield being a bad stage for Mega Man. I gotta disagree though, because Mega Man has lots of tricks here. SHFF Uairs are brutal here, unlike in FD, due to awesome platform pressure and landing denial. Dthrow on this stage can help set up these Uairs if they choose to land on a platform. The same kind of denial can be done with DW too.

Mega Man gets some great mix ups. You can shoot between the platforms with a Dair, which launches the opponents up to the top platform for an Usmash kill (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X28BMf3TUs&feature=youtu.be#t=4m53s). We also get more opportunities for Jab resets and Metal Blade stuff.

I also find it easier to defend on this stage, because the lower platforms act as a roof that the opponents can't get through, so they must get to us through the front door, which we can spam with pellets. Luigi can't try to land on top of you with a nair while you are below a platform, so all he can do is just get zoned out helplessly on the main stage.

Battlefield also eases some match up for us. Yoshi can no longer shoot eggs at a higher angle, because they will land on the platforms above. Dedede and Rob get destroyed the moment we put them above us, and the platforms can screw with their projectiles. Mega Man is a platforming game, and it still holds true in Smash Bros.

The only times I would advise against picking BF would be against what I believe to be Mega Man's hardest match ups: Fox, Sheik, and Mario. These characters love platforms. Fox sharks better than us with his own Uair and gets more options for recovery. Sheik can sweetspot her Usmash and do tons of platform tricks. Mario can extend his combos as well with platforms. Also, Fox and Mario can reflect our Uairs back at us from above.

EDIT: You can do some sweet ledge cancelling stuff here with Leaf Shield. Great for landing when used with B-Reversing.

Last edited:

Greward

Smash Lord
Imo our worst are halberd and lylat. We don't really enjoy tilted stages since it mess with our projectiles. Anyways MM is pretty good at all stages.

I usually cp either BF / Duck Hunt / Willy's omega (cuz hype), depending on matchup.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I'll spend more time on this in the future, but skyloft needs to be added, as it's one of our best stages, and is currently legal in some rulesets (most notably the ladder)

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I know you can do some silly things with utilt on Lylat Cruise but I'm still not a huge fan of the stage when playing as Mega Man. The tilting has made it difficult for me to defend myself sometimes.

Battlefield is a great stage for the reasons said above. People being above Mega Man is great for us.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I always find flatter stages like FD and Smashville to be good for us. We like to keep our horizontal distance without having lots of platforms to provide the other player openings. Smashville in particular though, with its single platform, gives us a chance to punish their get up (if they miss a tech) or just leave a Metal Blade there, so that as the platform moves we can grab the blade on a whim. Plus, since we have a killing bthrow, we can hold them in a pummel and toss them out when the platform takes us to the edge of the stage.

Against speedier characters like Falcon, I think we get more of an edge. However a lot of MUs are better suited for Battlefield as stated above.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I always ban Halberd and Delfino. Technically, both should be good for MegaMan since low ceilings = earlier kills with uair and utilt, but it never seems to work out that way for me. I've had no experience with Diddy after the patch, but ROB really can exercise his top screen kills better than MegaMan can on both of these stages. I've never liked Delfino, and it doesn't seem to give MegaMan any benefits outside of the aforementioned low ceilings.

Now that Lylat is fixed, I have no problem with it. I actually never had enough of a problem with it to ban it in counterpick. Either the opponent hates it so much they won't pick it, or half the time they will pick it and get screwed by the edges. The tilt of the stage is a double edged sword, as you can stick a Crash Bomb on the stage itself and do some pretty nfity area denial, but because the tilting is mostly random it's hard to do this in a way that consistently gives you good results.

I like Battlefield, and I've had some good times on it, but I've likewise had some really bad times on it. I don't think it's as friendly a stage to MegaMan online as it is locally for various reasons, and I've had some of the most one sided matchups vs Pikachu and ROB on Battlefield that I've ever had - they were not in my favor.

I don't like plain Final Destination. The background is distracting and hurts my eyes, and I honestly wish Omega Battlefield or somewhere with the same everything as Final Destination would replace Final Destination as the default one for tournaments that only allow Omega stages as counterpick. I especially like Wily's Castle, Wii Fit Studio, and Orbital Assault because the walls give MegaMan another recovery option in the form of the scar jump. I was pretty sure I could do this on Kalos, but either I never could and just thought I could, or it was actually patched out in 1.0.6.

I honestly don't have much to say about Smashville outside of it's ok. I'm sure we've all seen it enough to know everything about it. I've actually struck it before because to be honest, I'm sick of seeing it, and I feel like people are so stuck in the rut of playing it first match that maybe if we don't go there, it'll feel disruptive to their play.

I like Town and City better, the layout of the 3 platforms is far enough apart and high enough off of the ground that it functions like Battlefield without really giving Mario, Fox, or ROB's strong uthrow an advantage. When it switches to the pair of Smashville platforms, it's basically Smashville, so no downside.

Castle Siege is a real meh in my book. The first part is ok, and the third part is ok, but the second part kills it for MegaMan. Statues block his attacks, walk off edges being the double edged sword of the century (as usual)... it either slows the pace of the fight to a crawl for like a minute straight, or ends the match on a really low key.

I don't play on Duck Hunt very often, most opponents ban it, and I never see a reason to go there. The ducks can sometimes get in the way, and the dog popping up has caught me off guard before, but that's my own fault. I've only ever counterpicked it against the player, not the character, as I know some people really hate how it has the same zoomed out sort of look as WarioWare. Getting someone up the tree on the far left is a good way to get them off the top of the screen.

Just because I'm one of those people who argues for the validity of reasonable stages, I think we should probably discuss Kalos in here too, possibly Wuhu. I've seen people include Wuhu in the counterpicks list, and Kalos was recently added to counterpick in a local tournament here. I don't really play on them that often, but I do feel like Kalos is totally legit - no worse than Halberd at least.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I especially like Wily's Castle, Wii Fit Studio, and Orbital Assault because the walls give MegaMan another recovery option in the form of the scar jump. I was pretty sure I could do this on Kalos, but either I never could and just thought I could, or it was actually patched out in 1.0.6.
The walls in Kalos aren't walls. You can't jump off of them, cling to them, or lodge projectiles into them. They never have been. It's very deceptive.

Castle Siege is a real meh in my book. The first part is ok, and the third part is ok, but the second part kills it for MegaMan. Statues block his attacks, walk off edges being the double edged sword of the century (as usual)... it either slows the pace of the fight to a crawl for like a minute straight, or ends the match on a really low key.
I like using Castle Siege. Part 2 pretty much yields center stage to Mega Man with his Metal Blades and Air shooter. Statues won't stop those. Crash Bomb auto-detonates on them too which can be useful sometimes.

Just because I'm one of those people who argues for the validity of reasonable stages, I think we should probably discuss Kalos in here too, possibly Wuhu. I've seen people include Wuhu in the counterpicks list, and Kalos was recently added to counterpick in a local tournament here. I don't really play on them that often, but I do feel like Kalos is totally legit - no worse than Halberd at least.
Our crew here discussed and eventually agreed to ban Wuhu. There are just too many moments where people won't fight. Bridge, Fountain, Islands, and Volcano will have people sitting completely still because approaching over the gaps is too unsafe. Boat, Cliff, and Beach are both pretty campy as well. That leaves Arena, Jetski, and the default platform for actual uninterrupted fighting. Heck, even Jetski can see people camping near the bottom by the water on either side.

Kalos, I'd love to see it, but I feel the stage is too disruptive. Borderline disruptive, but on the upper side of that line. I also wish the platforms worked like they did on the 3DS Prism Tower where you would just fall off when they hit the top of the screen.

Greward

Smash Lord
In my country we recently started playing with Skyloft, Wuhu and Pokemon Stadium 2. I don't think they're bad, although it's true that Wuhu Island is a bit of a time out festival.

Kalos legal seems a bit unusual, really.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Would you guys prefer that I put down Wuhu and Pokemon Stadium 2 as well? I don't really mind, so long as there's discussion on it (I don't want the discussion to be empty for it if it's on the list, you know?).

@ Greward Greward , want to talk about it? I'm very curious as to how Mega would do on PS2 especially. :)

EDIT: Whoops, Kalos too. Kalos just seems a little too extreme (for me the worst of it is the steel transformation taking way too long).

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I've never seen Kalos used in any Ruleset, and don't have reason to think it will be accepted later on. Wuhu and ps2 have been on rulesets, but they're more dubious than the rest except maybe dk64

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I guess the problems I have with Wuhu are universal - even typically safe approaches are turned super risky on almost all of its transformations. MegaMan certainly doesn't seem to shine on it, and I can completely understand if everyone here deems it not fit to talk about until(unless) it becomes part of a huge tournament's ruleset. The opinions I've seen across the board on Kalos are almost always the same - concerns about Manaphy's whirlpool and the Ironworks chamber turning into camp.

Since Pokemon Stadium 2 is provisionally on the table, I'm really curious as to whether or not uair kills extra early when it switches to Wind mode. I dislike all of the non-neutral modes on PS2 but if MegaMan can get easier kills out of it, I might be willing to forgive it.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Like @ CopShowGuy CopShowGuy said the statues on castle siege tend to favor mega man with his MB and air shooter going through them. Most opponents projectiles are stuffed by the statues.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Would someone like to explain why Skyloft is so good for Mega Man? I've never actually played there myself, but I hear of it being amazing for him.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
ok. Time to write a bit more...
So Megaman is very good at controlling space. He has tools that cover platforms or the lack thereof. He can control changing spaces and layouts (read: transforming stages) very well, and can even camp if he needs to.
As such, Mega himself is fairly impervious to stage picks. He does pretty well everywhere, better or worse on some, but it generally just comes down to preference of the player, rather than the character himself.

A few things I personally look for, to explain opinions below...
-I generally prefer smaller areas. mega is SO good at controlling the midrange and fairly mediocre at long range, so I find myself just chasing people on bigger stages.
-I love the crap out of platforms. uair shield traps are so good against most of the cast.

Ok so my personal list of stages in order of favorite to least favorite. This is pretty matchup dependent, but it averages out to this...

Neutral:
Battlefield
Smashville
Town and City
Final Destination (Omegas included)
Lylat Cruise

Full List:
Delfino Plaza
Skyloft
Battlefield
Smashville
Castle Siege
Town and City
Final Destination (Omegas included)
Lylat Cruise
Halberd
Duck Hunt

As a note, I'm leaving KJ64 and PS2 off the list as I'm fairly inexperienced on them. Offhand, KJ64 seems like a soft counter for us due to the dip in the center, but I like the high platforms. PS2 seems like it'd be very good for us. Wuhu is fine for us but the matches turn super campy.

the list is fairly straightforward, but I'll elaborate on a few things.

-Lylat actually isn't terrible for us, but big stage that messes up some of our projectiles at times, so it's not my favorite. I do like the platforms though.

-I'm not a huge fan of FD. This is mostly because I REALLY like platforms. We can be fairly good at punishing landings, but I don't like giving the people options to jump over pellets. A lot of this carries over to T&C as well

-BF is our best neutral imo and one of our best stages against anybody who doesn't control the stage extremely well (like Rosalina does). The platforms are great for pressuring, and prevent aerial approaches above pellets. Overall I think it's a great stage for us

-I love Delfino and Skyloft to death. Mega's mobility and options just work SO WELL in a transforming environment. Both stages have small platforms that are perfect for uair pressure (Skyloft is slightly better in this aspect, which is one of the reasons a lot of people like it). Delfino has the benefit of water, which is AWESOME for us, as it helps our recovery at times, and we have a spike/bair for anybody who lands in it. Oh and we have a kill throw & strong killing bair that work wonders around the walkoff blast zones. I love both of these stages..

-I like crash bomb shenanigans on Castle Siege. I don't like the low ceilings on Halberd because they typically work against me, rather than for me. Duck Hunt is just a more random FD for me.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Since Pokemon Stadium 2 is provisionally on the table, I'm really curious as to whether or not uair kills extra early when it switches to Wind mode. I dislike all of the non-neutral modes on PS2 but if MegaMan can get easier kills out of it, I might be willing to forgive it.
It does. I've done it.

Greward

Smash Lord
For some reason it looks like Up air kills more based on floatiness than weight. So I guess it should kill more in the flying type transformation.

PS2 is good for Mega in neutral mode. It's relatively big with 2 platforms. Ice and Ground are ok, we can make use of the wall in the ground transformation and ice doesn't really bother us. Flying is a transformation that heavily rewards whoever is in a superior position atm, so does thunder. I can say that they're bad for MM but since they are bad for every character it's pointless lol.
Imo it's a good counterpick for Rock, and a good stage overall, I think it should be used in more tournaments.

I like Wuhu in matchups where i make use of those extra big blast zones or i have to rely on playing the neutral game a lot. I'm not prone to CP it tho, but in some matchups i might. It's also a viable way to get a time out win lol.

Kongo Jungle is probably one of our worst stages. If we're not in the center of the stage then we're in a very bad position, just like in Halberd's small transformation. So i'd nominate KJ64, Halberd and lylat to be our worst. They are not bad though, just our worst imo.

Skyloft is good for Mega Man for the same reasons than Wuhu is. Some transformations are smaller than Wuhu's though, and blast zones are also situationally smaller, specially on walk-offs. All in all a big stage, with some platform settings that really encourages juggling which can be bad against juggling characters like Falcon or ZSS. I think Wuhu is better for us, but Wuhu is rarely legal, so.

MassKirbycide

Smash Cadet
I've definitely found that Castle Siege is a decent stage for Mega Man; it's probably my favorite overall stage to CP people to. Most characters don't have projectiles that can go through the statues in the second form, so I can camp right on the edge of one of the statues and play around with my piercing projectiles to force an approach. Once they approach, it's typically not hard to bait them into an unsafe move in an effort to break through the projectile wall, and then it's bthrow off the walk-off (with a RAR bair to cover anyone who isn't killed by the bthrow). Rinse and repeat.

Yojimbosan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yojimbosan
Skyloft is one of my favorites. It moves quicker than Wuhu I think and there's not enough obstacles to really impede all the projectiles. Not to mention the main platform is huge and flat.
I'd like Wily's Castle more if the yellow devil came out less often and the platforms stayed around longer. The mix ups are great with those tricky platforms! It's manageable as it is but not suited for a competitive stage. The Omega variant is okay expect for the high ceiling. Then of course the music is the best part.

Has anyone played on any custom made old smash stages? I downloaded a 64 Peach's castle thats been pretty fun when playing with friends. Any old stages you think would suit Mega Man well?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I like skyloft but I got screwed over by getting trapped in the waterfall a few times. Is there a trick to getting out of it?

Rocket52

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rocket52
3DS FC
2664-2303-0107
being so used to flat stages, stages with slopes like KJ, halbred, and Lylat's tilting mess up my lemon pressure.
Is there any advice on using lemons on stages with slopes?

Top Bottom