• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Stage Legality Discussion Thread: Round II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
My only concern with Bayonetta's stage is whether or not the angel/demon fight can affect the players.
I'd think if there was more to the stage than what was shown, they would briefly go over individual monsters and what they do on it, but since nothing was mentioned of them, it makes me believe they are strictly background (and gorgeous at that, too!)

FirewaterDM

Smash Apprentice
Also, Cloud's stage would be awesome but it has the problem that PS2 and Kalos League have, which is the whole some stage hazards are ok but some are incredibly dumb for comp play. But unless something with the angels is actually problematic we should have that Bayonetta stage fully legal, if not a CP maybe a starter when it comes out.

From the OP
Before I answer I guess I should admit my answers are mostly from a perspective of that counterpick stages should be based on giving the player a "true" advantage. Obviously not to the significant level of an auto-loss on games 2/3/4//5, but enough to where there is a point of where the stage can slightly shift a competive set between two players and make the selection of stages that are often dismissed for "jank" to be used to punish players or regions who reject useable stages because of lack of familiarity or complaints. Even then, at the highest level, counterpicking stages should be a more prevalent strategy to actively show the thought process that goes into the stage decision at higher play where the stage matters more. Current 7 stage stagelist isn't good for this because 4 stages are similar, even if blast zones/designs are slightly different, and the others are just as similar except for the tree/floating platform. This makes bans to some point (the only benefit to the small stagelist is 1 ban) pointless because there are so many stages that are similar it doesn't actively change things.

This isn't a reason for 2 bans in the 7 stage list (because it makes BO5's impossible), but a reason why a larger variety of stages would be beneficial.

(TL;DR- actual stage advantage or strategic benefit is dying because we're getting too conservative with stagelists. We saw this hurta game because a playstyle that was valid, but the player base ******* about it grow strong because viable stages were removed.)

Should Halberd be considered legal for tournament play?
Short version, yes. At the bare minimum it's a stage with a direct different setup from other stages. It has some characters it directly benefits and does not maintain the similarity that makes bans irrelevant. People will complain about the blastzones, but that is a direct benefit to certain characters who kill vertically. Only complaints otherwise come from the hazards. All of the hazards on Haliberd are incredibly predictable and once there's enough game time it is not difficult to avoid. We shouldn't call **** jank because either the opponent used the stage better than you (aka they got a setup into the bomb/laser/claw), or that you didn't know the stage enough to deal with those hazards. I think the benefits of the CP value for the stage, especially since the hazards are on a timer and very telegraphed makes it a decent CP stage.

Should Delfino Plaza be considered legal for tournament play?

Yes, same reasoning as Haliberd, it's a good CP stage, arguably far more beneficial for more characters than any of the other stages mentioned, has no hazards, just changes in scenery. Low ceiling is a benefit to certain characters, and so are some of the walkoff parts would cause concern for camping. This stage is less of a threat than it was in brawl because CG's don't exist anymore. But since there are literally no actual hazards (except possibly the water) there isn't a problem. the general design is relatively predictable.

Should Castle Siege be considered legal for tournament play?

Out of the stages listed, this one is the one that i'm least sure about because of the second transformation. The first and third transformations are perfectly ok for competitive play. Either way there are direct benefits to certain characters, it is distinctly different from other stages and CG's don't exist, making the walkoff porton of the stage not as polarizing as in earlier games. Either way the second transformation is only once per 1:35, (if the timing of 45 seconds per transformation didn't change from brawl) means you only have to deal with this transformation 2-3 times at most, depending on matchup.

Should Wuhu Island be considered legal for doubles? Possibly singles?

Yes, glitches have been fixed, certain problematic stage designs get resolved because no CG's. Yes they could promote camping, but that style is inevitable based on character options or playstyle, is large enough to support doubles and different enough to have a benefit for some characters.

Assuming five stage strike, should Lylat Cruise or Dreamland 64 be used as the 5th stage
Honestly, the more I think about stagelists, I feel like Lylat should be the 5th stage. Neither creates a huge problem in terms of being a CP stage, legal, etc. But in a world of where the stagelist of legal stages is rapidly dropping (thank goodness that we'll have Umbra Clock Tower in February) I think Lylat's better for at least better options in the original stage selection just because of it's difference. As it stands, if you go with the most conservative stagelists, we have the triplatform stages (BF/Miiverse, DL, T&C) and the flat stages (FD, DH, SV). While Lylat is similar to the other 3 platform stages that are commonly legal, it's different enough to not only give an option for characters who don't like the setup of DL/BF/Miiverse or the SV/FD division. it's different enough to where it gives characters who do meh on the more common triplatform stages a better option.

Last edited:

webbedspace

Smash Journeyman
I firmly believe Umbra Clock Tower will not be universally legal because many TOs won't tolerate even temporary solid ceilings: in a span of a few seconds, most fighters can ceiling-combo to about 50% from any initial percent, which basically makes such ceilings the same as a temporary hazard that deals 50%.

jespoke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jespoke
If there really is nothing more to Umbra Clock Tower than what was shown in the direct, it should definitely be legal. It is your job as a player to not get yourself caught in a ceiling combo. Note that many of the platforms were not actually solid, and even those that are are not stationary so they will only be in problematic positions for a short time.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
The only thing that worries me is the potential walkoff shown in the last picture of RIP|Merrick RIP|Merrick 's post. But if it's only there for a short period of time (not like Castle Siege's walkoff) then I guess it's alright. Town & City also has a situation where two platforms move to the side blastzone, creating some sort of pseudo-walkoff for just a brief moment. February will tell us.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
I firmly believe Umbra Clock Tower will not be universally legal because many TOs won't tolerate even temporary solid ceilings: in a span of a few seconds, most fighters can ceiling-combo to about 50% from any initial percent, which basically makes such ceilings the same as a temporary hazard that deals 50%.
Or you can tech. The problem with ceilings in stages isn't that people can get excessive combos off them most of the time, but rather that they create "caves of life" because people tech forever and stop being able to be knocked out. The Umbra ceilings looked to be moving so quickly and seemed so temporary that I doubt that will be a problem.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I'll toss in some quick thoughts on the OP just to add my voice to the topic.

Of the three contentious stages, I most favour Delfino. It adds the most variety to the stagelist while not being obviously abusive (ala Halberd's ceiling). I agree with most of the stated rhetoric on why Halberd and Castle Siege shouldn't be legal.

Between Lylat and Dreamland, I feel Lylat is a much more obvious choice as a starter stage. I've always hated Lylat, but I can't deny that it is a pretty far stage and has relevant matchup implications.

If we're having a 7-stage list, I would probably choose this:

Starter:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Town and City
Lylat Cruise

CP:

Delfino Plaza
Dreamland

Dreamland is kind of silly as a counterpick. It is basically just holding a spot that will hopefully be taken by Umbra Clock Tower. I feel that would be a really well-balanced list.

jespoke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jespoke

Starter:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Town and City
Lylat Cruise

CP:

Delfino Plaza
Dreamland
I feel like discussing 7 stage list in this thread is pretty pointless because none of the stages up for discussion are even on it:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Town and City
Lylat Cruise
Dreamland
Duck Hunt

I'm more for a 9 stage list with 2 of the discussion points (Or 1 + Umbra Clock Tower if it turns out competitive)

Last edited:

FirewaterDM

Smash Apprentice
I feel like discussing 7 stage list in this thread is pretty pointless because none of the stages up for discussion are even on it:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Town and City
Lylat Cruise
Dreamland
Duck Hunt

I'm more for a 9 stage list with 2 of the discussion points (Or 1 + Umbra Clock Tower if it turns out competitive)
Or better yet all 4 + Umbra with an extra ban.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
I'd imagine it's the shifting bottom platform.
Yes but you can grab onto it and for those who say some times it's on the other side so I can't grab it, how is that any different that Smashville's platform?

Last edited:

Cheap Shot

Smash Cadet
Yes but you can grab onto it and for those who say some times it's on the other side so I can't grab it, how is that any different that Smashville's platform?
I'd reckon that people want the stage list to be as conservative and one-dimensional as possible to suit their preconceived notions of what competition is supposed to look like. It's hard to fault, honestly, it is sort of human nature.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
What do people have against Peach's Castle? That stage seems fine.
It's the bumper and the triangles at the top, which randomly stop kills from happening. It's legal in SSB64 mostly because of a lack of other legal stages and lack of teching on ceilings and walls.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
It's the bumper and the triangles at the top, which randomly stop kills from happening. It's legal in SSB64 mostly because of a lack of other legal stages and lack of teching on ceilings and walls.
It's not random. It's on a set path. It doesn't create any caves of life either. It's just a flimsy excuse to keep playing on Smashville.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
It's not random. It's on a set path. It doesn't create any caves of life either. It's just a flimsy excuse to keep playing on Smashville.
It's random in the sense that it's almost always outside the screen, so unless you specifically memorize the timing and position at all times it's still going to mess with your fight. The triangles being techable do create (an admittedly not too crazy) cave of life, too, something which didn't exist in Smash 64.

I'd love to see the stage played if it didn't have those three elements at the top, but I can see the reason for banning it - just try playing on it for extended periods of time. But hey, if you like it a lot and think it's fine, go to your local TO and convince them.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
It's random in the sense that it's almost always outside the screen, so unless you specifically memorize the timing and position at all times it's still going to mess with your fight. The triangles being techable do create (an admittedly not too crazy) cave of life, too, something which didn't exist in Smash 64.

I'd love to see the stage played if it didn't have those three elements at the top, but I can see the reason for banning it - just try playing on it for extended periods of time. But hey, if you like it a lot and think it's fine, go to your local TO and convince them.
It's not any different than teching a stage spike. I don't see the big deal.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
The way the bumper interacts with Charizard, Meta Knight, and Kirby's throws are so strange to me, I feel like the buff to Kirby changed how he behaves to it now. Before when Kirby would use a up-throw, the animation would take him up and if a bumper was a above him, he would faze right through it coming back down with no knockback, but now he receives knockback just like Charizard upon plummeting down. The animation going up if hit would only deal 1% to him, then on the way down do no knockback, but that is just not the case now, and I wonder if the Kirby changes had an effect on that. Meta Knights up throw is the only one that fazes right the bumper both times with no knockback.

I was personally fine with the stage, only thing is the lowest main platform seems to be a highly advantaged to be in neutral, especially if you're playing the likes of Rosalina, but otherwise there's nothing theoretically wrong with the stage with the ramps being suspect, and the bumper not even killing at ridiculous percentages, although it often puts players at a horribly disadvantaged spot for some due to the angle. Rip Little Mac.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13

Of the three contentious stages, I most favour Delfino. It adds the most variety to the stagelist while not being obviously abusive (ala Halberd's ceiling). I agree with most of the stated rhetoric on why Halberd and Castle Siege shouldn't be legal.

Between Lylat and Dreamland, I feel Lylat is a much more obvious choice as a starter stage. I've always hated Lylat, but I can't deny that it is a pretty far stage and has relevant matchup implications.

Starter:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Town and City
Lylat Cruise

CP:

Delfino Plaza
Dreamland

Dreamland is kind of silly as a counterpick. It is basically just holding a spot that will hopefully be taken by Umbra Clock Tower. I feel that would be a really well-balanced list.
Why not consider 7 stages with no counterpick/starter distinction? FLSS is better than 5 starters and 2 CPs. Also, Duck Hunt?

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Based on the trailer, I believe Umbra Clock Tower is a pretty obvious candidate for legal status. It seems to fill a unique niche where platforms move in and out of the arena without necessarily conforming to a set pattern like T&C does, and although at least one of them is solid and techable, the fact that it moves (and pretty fast at that, all things considered) means that camping it is impractical and any cave of life effects are very temporary. I'd be surprised if any given platform stuck around for more than 10 seconds or so.

This is all contingent upon the angels and demons not attacking the players (I think I said this already), but they didn't seem to do so in the trailer so I'm hopeful.

Midgar is a pretty obvious ban, the hazards are mostly on par with Kalos Pokemon League except that one player is immune to the effects with few exceptions (mostly Leviathan). Good for messing around and events that deliberately go for the weird stages, though.

Also, Midgar's right side is amazingly, stupidly generous with recovery. Check this picture out:

Note the shockwave showing where Cloud used Climhazzard. Now, without Limit Break he can't actually go high enough because wow his recovery is actually pretty bad, but anyone with solid vertical distance on their up special has a lot of room to work with. The limit seems to be the metal beam thing to the left of the shockwave, visible inside the loop of wire.

Last edited:

webbedspace

Smash Journeyman
You're more optimistic than I am. Consider these other possibilities for why Umbra may be a misplaced hope:
* Platforms may slowly descend from the top blast line, making ridiculous sub-20% KOs briefly possible (such kills are one of the reasons why Delfino is now banned in many places).
* Solid platforms may slowly descend from the top blast line, blocking vertical KOs arbitrarily in a manner akin to Mario Circuit 8 (albeit without the stage damage).
* Platforms may slowly hover back and forth under the main stage for more than 10 seconds, creating a non-trivial circle-camping position.
* Even if platforms close to the left and right blast lines are not technically walk-offs, they might still be close enough to allow sub-30% or sub-40% throw kills, and might travel slow enough that they are far easier to be exploited than Smashville's platform.

Note that if none of these doom scenarios occur, I'll be pleased, but also rather surprised.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Why not consider 7 stages with no counterpick/starter distinction? FLSS is better than 5 starters and 2 CPs. Also, Duck Hunt?
I don't really care about the distinction between starter / counterpick and FLSS, I've just never seen it as being terribly relevant. If I had to choose 7 stages for maximum legality and diversity it'd be those 7.

The main reason Duckhunt isn't there is because I don't think it brings as much to the table and there's several aspects about it that are kind of annoying.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I don't really care about the distinction between starter / counterpick and FLSS, I've just never seen it as being terribly relevant. If I had to choose 7 stages for maximum legality and diversity it'd be those 7.

The main reason Duckhunt isn't there is because I don't think it brings as much to the table and there's several aspects about it that are kind of annoying.
There are many aspectes about Delfino Plaza that are annoying.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
To list some of Delfino's annoying parts;
  • The transformations change the blastzones of the stage, which can happen before landing.
  • Travelling stages in general are kind of difficult to use in tournaments, as they have many shifting positions instead of one consistent layout to memorize. More work for less reward, essentially.
  • Most of the transformations are either unnecesarily giant or ridiculously small and can/will change the way the match is played.
  • It tends to favor characters with better recoveries. How often do you think people will just try and force Ganondorf off the platform before it rises, leaving him to lose the stock for no reason he could control? It's not fair competition to be camped off by someone.
Duck Hunt doesn't have any of those issues, so it's not a controversial stage.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
There are many aspectes about Delfino Plaza that are annoying.
Perhaps, but it has the benefit of at least being very different from the other stages on the list. Duck Hunt has always struck me as just being a worse version of FD.

Let's look at the ways it differs from FD:

- There's an annoying piece of grass that sometimes hides stuff
- The dog periodically shows up and creates a platform
- There's a lame tree on the left side that you can camp

These things are, not coincidentally, the three focal points for complaints about this map. In other words, people just wish Duck Hunt was FD, so why bother having it when we have FD already?

It tends to favor characters with better recoveries. How often do you think people will just try and force Ganondorf off the platform before it rises, leaving him to lose the stock for no reason he could control? It's not fair competition to be camped off by someone..
Ganondorf obviously does have control of his position on the stage, he can battle for stage control just like anyone else. In general, the travelling stages tend to reward stage control more heavily than other stages, even if you have a good recovery being caught off the platform is rarely a good place to be.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
yeah, Umbra looks like a solid CP, arguably even better then Ferox on the 3DS.

finally, another DLC stage besides Dreamland that's legal!

jespoke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jespoke
  • The transformations change the blastzones of the stage, which can happen before landing.
  • Travelling stages in general are kind of difficult to use in tournaments, as they have many shifting positions instead of one consistent layout to memorize. More work for less reward, essentially.
  • Most of the transformations are either unnecesarily giant or ridiculously small and can/will change the way the match is played.
  • It tends to favor characters with better recoveries. How often do you think people will just try and force Ganondorf off the platform before it rises, leaving him to lose the stock for no reason he could control? It's not fair competition to be camped off by someone.
These are the exact reasons why the stage should be legal. People are just too lazy to learn the stage if the different style of play doesn't favor their character.

I don't see the big difference between being forced off the platform here and getting forced off the stage, but i haven't given it much though and am not qualified to comment on it

It just unfortunate that it has the unusual blastzones to muddle the issue. IMO The blastzones are the ONLY major argument against Delfino Plaza.

Last edited:

FirewaterDM

Smash Apprentice
First part, I agree, in terms of why Duck Hunt is a legal stage but I feel like your characterization of Delfino actually shows why it's a decent counterpick stage. Unlike other stages that have things that make them controversial I think the variety in stage layouts is kind of a good thing- helps quite a few characters and it forces the player to know what parts of the stage actually help their character- pretty much the low ceiling parts are silly. However, they make up for the larger areas and they only exist for a smaller part of the stage.

Also your last point is why this stage is a good CP? That is a part of the game, if you can't kill, why not edgeguard? I don't think that the affects to a recovery is that large of a concern. Yes there was Frigate in Brawl, it was still a good stage even with a transformation without a ledge. But just because some characters have a **** recovery doesn't mean people shouldn't exploit the **** recovery. it's like the good players know how to recover even if their character's recovery in theory is bad. Also camping isn't a legitimate complaint. People are playing for money, they can do what they damn well please to win that money, spectators be damned.

Even still Delfino is a fine stage, just people need to learn the like 3 areas where the stage ceiling is unnecessarily low.

Perhaps, but it has the benefit of at least being very different from the other stages on the list. Duck Hunt has always struck me as just being a worse version of FD.

Let's look at the ways it differs from FD:

- There's an annoying piece of grass that sometimes hides stuff
- The dog periodically shows up and creates a platform
- There's a lame tree on the left side that you can camp

These things are, not coincidentally, the three focal points for complaints about this map. In other words, people just wish Duck Hunt was FD, so why bother having it when we have FD already?

Ganondorf obviously does have control of his position on the stage, he can battle for stage control just like anyone else. In general, the travelling stages tend to reward stage control more heavily than other stages, even if you have a good recovery being caught off the platform is rarely a good place to be.
TL;DR Duck Hunt is a ****ter FD. If you look at it that way, if you look at it as its own stage it's a solid stage for characters who kill off the sides, or who can use the tree to it's best extent or who want the space to move around.

Either way, we shouldn't be trying to have fewer stages, we already have the 4 3 platform design stages and the 3 flat stages, any differences is good.

Learn the stage, the grass isn't even that bad, and i don't know if you can't see your opponent and think they are charging a smash, you'll either see some part of them. you thrw a projectile or you just stay away until they come out. Dog isn't that hard to predict either, you either kill a duck or he's in the same spot every time.

Camping isn't a argument to ban a stage. game's competitive, it's for money, people do what they need to as long as they follow the tourney rules. Tree is also useful for vertical comboes.

SFC Goat

Smash Rookie
NNID
koroshiya72
3DS FC
4227-1995-9268
So when are we going to universally ban Duck Hunt?

Anyone? No?

SFC Goat

Smash Rookie
NNID
koroshiya72
3DS FC
4227-1995-9268
I really, really don't like Duck Hunt.

A boy can dream, can't he?

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
I for one love Duck Hunt. You guys just don't want to have any fun. Duck Hunt is a great "Joke" stage because it looks stupid, has stupid mechanics, it's hard to have a serious match on it, but is completely fair and balanced. The only issue is the ducks eating projectiles but Yoshi's Island on the 3DS has that issue along with the Animal Crossing stages with the balloons. Plus Duck Hunt can play completely different from Final Destination. Little Mac in particular is a good example of that.

There are plenty of fun and fair stages but get banned for stupid reasons. I don't want any more getting banned.

Last edited:

SFC Goat

Smash Rookie
NNID
koroshiya72
3DS FC
4227-1995-9268
Would prefer Halberd to Duck Hunt to be honest.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Okay, so I hate Battlefield and Smashville, let's just ban those stages because I hate them. Is that acceptable to everyone? :p

Yeah, DH may be weird to play at times, but I'd rather ban Charizard before calling it ban-worthy. What about the stage is even worth banning? There's never been any degenerative tactics that prove stupidly effective on it, there's no wonky blastzones and the stage gimmick is hardly at all intrusive.

It's not like Pyrosphere, which has so many intrusive stage gimmicks. It's basically just a variant on Final Destination with a more interactive background.

EDIT: And Halberd is far more contentious as a legal stage than Duck Hunt is, for the record.

Last edited:

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
FD is a worse duckhunt . . .
The complete lack of platforms makes FD easily the most polarizing starter, and just because it is simple doesnt make it a good choice in the starter list.

Im not saying ban FD obviously, but pretending everyone hates duckhunt is ignorant. Its also the only stage with walls other than certain omegas.

If we are going to move toward less conservative stages, id like to throw in pilot wings, skyloft and my personal favorite: garden of hope

Garden has hazzards much easier to avoid than halberd and has interesting mechanics at the edges without being to game breaking.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
If we are going to move toward less conservative stages, id like to throw in pilot wings, skyloft and my personal favorite: garden of hope

Garden has hazzards much easier to avoid than halberd and has interesting mechanics at the edges without being to game breaking.
Garden of hope is too big of a stage. And has some weird stage structures, like that stick, and a very intrusive hazard. No way GoH is going to be legal anytime soon.

Pilotwings is like Lylat on steroids. The plane tilts a lot which can make some recoveries impossible. Plus it has some random stage hazards that the planes fly nearby.

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
I also think this could be more productive (maybe, just a guess) to assume all stages legal and work backwards, seeing what stages should be banned for logical reasons
Mario galaxy should remain banned because perminant walk offs make horizonal strings overly polarizing.

EDIT:
Or maybe start by figuring out what are good reasons to ban stages?
Perminant walk offs
Perminant caves of life
Instant kill hazards
Too difficult recovery?
Any hazards?

Last edited:

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
Garden of hope is too big of a stage. And has some weird stage structures, like that stick, and a very intrusive hazard. No way GoH is going to be legal anytime soon.

Pilotwings is like Lylat on steroids. The plane tilts a lot which can make some recoveries impossible. Plus it has some random stage hazards that the planes fly nearby.
GoH isnt much bigger that duckhunt, which hurts some but farvors others in a fair way. Im saying if we are to consider halberd, you cant ignor others with hazards dor hazards sake.

Well if lylat is going to be a starter, as some want, is that so bad? And again not random hazards and they really dont kill, sometimes its better to get hit by the bridge or something than deal with the edgeguard so that comes into play as well

I want these stages but im also playing devils advocate a bit because the logic here is a tad hit or miss.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Of the stages, though, we've already got a basic idea of what goes where;

LEGAL (STARTER)
Battlefield/Miiverse
Town and City
Smashville
Duck Hunt
Pokemon Stadium 2

These stages all are fairly good as starting stages, in that they favor no particular playstyle and don't have gimmicks that can hamstring them for certain characters. The basic nature of these makes them great for most every character in the game.

LEGAL (COUNTERPICK)
Pyrosphere (Omega)
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Wily's Castle (Omega)
Skyloft
Castle Seige
Lylat Cruise
Orbital Gate Assault
Skyworld (Omega)
Midgar (Omega)
Gaur Plains (Omega)
Dream Land 64
Peach's Castle 64
Temple (Omega)
Norfair
Windy Hill
Port Town Aero Dive
Jungle Hijinx
Luigi's Mansion (Omega)
Hyrule Castle (64)

These stages are more favorable to certain playstyles and/or may have potentially hamstringing gimmicks, but aren't quite bad enough to be banned outright.

POTENTIALLY LEGAL, NEED MORE TESTING
Big Battlefield
Kalos Pokemon League
Wuhu Island
Pilotwings
Umbra Clock Tower

These stages are ones that are in need of more testing in the competetive scene to really know their viability; though some look more appealing than others, it's really all up to testing.

BANNED
Pyrosphere
Wily's Castle
Palutena's Temple
Midgar
Gaur Plains
Great Cave Offensive
Temple
Wrecking Crew
Wooly World
Mushroom Kingdom U
Luigi's Mansion
Boxing Ring
75m
Flat Zone 2
Mario Galaxy
Bridge of Eldin
Pac-Land
Onett
Bridge of Eldin
Gamer
Colliseum
Wii Fit Studio
Mario Circuit (Brawl)
Garden of Hope

And here are the stinkers; the stages that are completely unviable for competetive play; either for their gimmicks (Pyrosphere, Wily's Castle, Gaur Plains, Mushroom Kingdom U, Wooly World, Garden of Hope, Brawl Circuit, Eldn, Onett, Pac-Land, Galaxy, Gamer, FZ2 and Midgar), their size (Palutena's Temple, Great Cave Offensive, Boxing Ring, 75m) or because of other reasons, like walkoffs or autoscrolling. These are the ones that not a lot of people will consider picking in any circumstance during a tournament.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom