• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Stage Legality Discussion Thread: Round II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Routa

Smash Lord
If only they had ported Yoshi's Island (Brawl) from the 3ds to the Wii U version, we would have 5 perfect starter stages. It makes me sad just thinking about this "what if".
And this is why 3DS version is clearly superior!

I began to wonder is there a list of characters that can "abuse" certain stages? Why I ask this? Well I hear people whining about Halberd and Delfino Plaza and their low upper blastzones and I get their point, but how many characters are there that cannot "abuse" these low upper blastzones?

Ajimi

Smash Cadet
If only they had ported Yoshi's Island (Brawl) from the 3ds to the Wii U version, we would have 5 perfect starter stages. It makes me sad just thinking about this "what if".
Or 9.

I began to wonder is there a list of characters that can "abuse" certain stages? Why I ask this? Well I hear people whining about Halberd and Delfino Plaza and their low upper blastzones and I get their point, but how many characters are there that cannot "abuse" these low upper blastzones?
I think the biggest problem is not that some characters can abuse the blastzones, it's that the top tier can.

paperchao

Smash Apprentice
NNID
paperchao
Or 9.

I think the biggest problem is not that some characters can abuse the blastzones, it's that the top tier can.
The top tiers are excellent on almost every legalish stage, they simply have more options that let's them adapt to all stages to some degree and still do well, although halberds low ceiling is a bit too polarizing Imo. Delfino is more manageable though due to the ceiling getting low only for a few seconds and being able to camp out those few seconds in neutral.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Yeah, woops. Changed the link to the Youtube they posted (easier to go through) and added some timestamps.
Oh, they were all in doubles.

And after a cursory review, I'm REALLY not a fan of how the commentators are so blatant with their dislike of the stage. Especially this early when it's been available for only a couple of weeks. Surely they should see how games play out on it before making judgement calls?

paperchao

Smash Apprentice
NNID
paperchao
Oh, they were all in doubles.

And after a cursory review, I'm REALLY not a fan of how the commentators are so blatant with their dislike of the stage. Especially this early when it's been available for only a couple of weeks. Surely they should see how games play out on it before making judgement calls?
I mean if you take a look at commentary for anything out of the norm, (delfino, umbra, Castle siege, etc) it's usually just the commentators just trashing on it all game. But umbra is basically a town and city type stage with big blastzones, so people will eventually warm up to it and develop counter-play to any attempted camping.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I mean if you take a look at commentary for anything out of the norm, (delfino, umbra, Castle siege, etc) it's usually just the commentators just trashing on it all game. But umbra is basically a town and city type stage with big blastzones, so people will eventually warm up to it and develop counter-play to any attempted camping.
I understand the hate against camping but what it the difference between camping that platform and camping the smashville or town and city platforms? town and city changes at roughly the same rate as UCT and UCT put you at a massive disadvantage when coming back to the stage. but commentators do this all the time some trashing new characters or dlc in general. THe most annoying thing about commentaters now is they give opinons as fact and many players take it as truths.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
There have been some truly awful commentary lately. Very unnecessary hateful tone toward the stage and making claims about things that don't exist or just simply are completely false, and the many people who do this should never touch the mic again.

Seriously, I think it was a month ago I mentioned a clear bias against Duck Hunt for the very magical J word we all LOVE in this thread. They said it was jank, and people are saying the same for Umbra, surprise surprise. Commence the twitter rampage of comments say how great three stage lists are and how dumb Umbra and Duck Hunt and every legal stage ever is.

But, uh, yeah. Umbra. Fine stage. Definitely has brought some good matches in from our scene, and I hope others have had good luck running it.

Linq

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfLinq
3DS FC
4639-8962-6197
I understand the hate against camping but what it the difference between camping that platform and camping the smashville or town and city platforms?
I agree completely. There was a match I watched on a VoD today, Little Mac vs Mario on Smashville. The vast majority of the match was Mario getting hit into the air, and retreating to platform when it went off stage to shoot fireballs repeatedly for 5 seconds at a time (none of which hit of course, it was basically just the match stopping every 15 seconds), which in my opinion is far worse than a player being given the choice to put themselves at a disadvantage after a 15 second lull once every 3 minutes.

Zeth444

Smash Apprentice
I really think UCT as a CP would add a lot to the game. First, having a hight ciling stage is great once só Many top/ hight Tiers are good at killing from the top, and, to be honest, BF really makes it hard to land/avoid juggles. Some up-air characters that are good at low ciling Stages also like it. The platform under UCT doesnt stay long enought to be a threat and no camping on hight plataformas is more difficult to be countered them SV/TnC's. Abou the walkoff part... Well... The best I Cant argue is by saying the stage is big enought and it ends fast enought so it isnt a problem.

On a different note: I second :4pikachu: and he Can QAC the Clock elevation and the moving platforms. Also, Everybody thinks it will be amazing for :4cloud: but I rather up-air my opponent 3-6 times before he Can land on BF and charge :GCD::GCB: after sending them offstage (not saying UCT is bad for him, charge is still charge)

On an other different note: I hate the ignorance of a lot of commentators when discussing UCT's legallity.

(Sorry for gramatical errors and lack of vocabulary. Not my first lenguage)
Edit: Also autocorrect doesnt make anything easier, thats why u will see random words with accent or capital letter.

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
I've thought about Duck Hunt and how this stage is probably banworthy. My day 1 expression was like "damn, the tree"

I've always defended duck hunt, because Duck Hunt abuse was not widely used and I advocate more stages in general.
I'll probably learn to camp on duck hunt excessively to either prove my point of decline it.

From the trend that everyone is going right now, the stage list I would be perfectly fine with would be
Battlefield/Smashville/Omega/Town&City/Lylat Cruise/Dreamland 64/Umbra Clock Tower

Battlefield and Dreamland have a similar layout, but different blastzones. You are not as restricted on Dreamland because the layout is higher and wider.
Town&City and Umbra Clock Tower are counterparts as well. Town & City with the low ceiling and high plattforms and Umbra Clock Tower with wide blastzones and very different plattform layouts.
Omega as the only one with no plattforms.
Lylat Cruise and Smashville as "unique" stages. One "unique" plattform stage and one unique "flat" stage with plattform assistance.

Of course this is with FLSS.

I'm so happy that Umbra Clock Tower adds something new to the stage list and it would be a crime to not have it legal. It would be totally out of place.

(Of course I would be fine with a like 11 stages stage list, but this is just not going to happen on a world wide scale anymore...)

blackghost

Smash Champion
I really think UCT as a CP would add a lot to the game. First, having a hight ciling stage is great once só Many top/ hight Tiers are good at killing from the top, and, to be honest, BF really makes it hard to land/avoid juggles. Some up-air characters that are good at low ciling Stages also like it. The platform under UCT doesnt stay long enought to be a threat and no camping on hight plataformas is more difficult to be countered them SV/TnC's. Abou the walkoff part... Well... The best I Cant argue is by saying the stage is big enought and it ends fast enought so it isnt a problem.

On a different note: I second :4pikachu: and he Can QAC the Clock elevation and the moving platforms. Also, Everybody thinks it will be amazing for :4cloud: but I rather up-air my opponent 3-6 times before he Can land on BF and charge :GCD::GCB: after sending them offstage (not saying UCT is bad for him, charge is still charge)

On an other different note: I hate the ignorance of a lot of commentators when discussing UCT's legallity.

(Sorry for gramatical errors and lack of vocabulary. Not my first lenguage)
Edit: Also autocorrect doesnt make anything easier, thats why u will see random words with accent or capital letter.
Thanks for reminding me about another issue i have. Seriously how relevant is the pikachu QAC? I hear about it all the time and i really only see it for style points. Esam MIGHT do it as a mixup but its hardly common for a pikachu (among that tiny player base it has) to use this. on stream i almost never see it used it comes accross as theorycraft to me not actual data.
of course maybe i just dont see enough pikachu.

Seiniyta

Smash Cadet
Thanks for reminding me about another issue i have. Seriously how relevant is the pikachu QAC? I hear about it all the time and i really only see it for style points. Esam MIGHT do it as a mixup but its hardly common for a pikachu (among that tiny player base it has) to use this. on stream i almost never see it used it comes accross as theorycraft to me not actual data.
of course maybe i just dont see enough pikachu.
This is something rather situational, even on BF ESAM seems to be mostly using it for styling over it being practical. It definitly has it's uses but it'll be quite a while before it becomes used more. Probably is a non-issue really.

Last edited:

paperchao

Smash Apprentice
NNID
paperchao
I've thought about Duck Hunt and how this stage is probably banworthy. My day 1 expression was like "damn, the tree"

I've always defended duck hunt, because Duck Hunt abuse was not widely used and I advocate more stages in general.
I'll probably learn to camp on duck hunt excessively to either prove my point of decline it.

From the trend that everyone is going right now, the stage list I would be perfectly fine with would be
Battlefield/Smashville/Omega/Town&City/Lylat Cruise/Dreamland 64/Umbra Clock Tower

Battlefield and Dreamland have a similar layout, but different blastzones. You are not as restricted on Dreamland because the layout is higher and wider.
Town&City and Umbra Clock Tower are counterparts as well. Town & City with the low ceiling and high plattforms and Umbra Clock Tower with wide blastzones and very different plattform layouts.
Omega as the only one with no plattforms.
Lylat Cruise and Smashville as "unique" stages. One "unique" plattform stage and one unique "flat" stage with plattform assistance.

Of course this is with FLSS.

I'm so happy that Umbra Clock Tower adds something new to the stage list and it would be a crime to not have it legal. It would be totally out of place.

(Of course I would be fine with a like 11 stages stage list, but this is just not going to happen on a world wide scale anymore...)
It's possible against immobile characters to camp, like Kirby or rob (idk about this one, he never dj onto the tree.). But a character like Diddy or wario can catch you very quickly, and you need the right tools to even atempt a timeout, like falco illusion. But idk the exact counterplay possible, as people just let me camp without challenging me at all.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It's possible against immobile characters to camp, like Kirby or rob (idk about this one, he never dj onto the tree.). But a character like Diddy or wario can catch you very quickly, and you need the right tools to even atempt a timeout, like falco illusion. But idk the exact counterplay possible, as people just let me camp without challenging me at all.
People also let others recover without really challenging it, a lot of them not even challenge the snap vulnerability, but that's not the stages' fault, not even the game's.
:196:

RosalinA

Smash Ace
Battlefield. These stadiums are really homey.
NNID
EthanDL
3DS FC
3093-7662-4641
Does anyone else think that Yoshi's Wooly World should be a counter pick or neutral? That same goes to Umbra Clock Tower. I also believe that the traveling Legend of Zelda stage should be a counter pick, and since the Mario sunshine stage is, why not add it?

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else think that Yoshi's Wooly World should be a counter pick or neutral? That same goes to Umbra Clock Tower. I also believe that the traveling Legend of Zelda stage should be a counter pick, and since the Mario sunshine stage is, why not add it?
Woolly World is unfortunately considered a no in basically every region. Most people dislike the temporary walkoffs, and the heavily air based second transformation that basically neuters ground based fighters. I'm not against it personally, but fighting for it is a lost cause at this point.

Umbra should totally be legal yes

Delfino, in my school, hasn't been legal for a very long time. However, I would argue both Skyloft and Delfino are competitive, and should be legal. But we're LI scrubs with a melee sucking president, so whatever.

blackghost

Smash Champion
skyloft and to a extent wuhu island were screwed over from the beginning. this community doesn't do well with anything thats not traditional. there are exactly 0 reasons for delfino to be played (in some places) and skyloft to be viewed as a "causal stage" I don't know whats wrong with skyloft. But i can tell you that there's a long list of BS reasons inclusing (but not limited to):
"We dont need more than one traveling stage." *looks at BF and dreamland and miiverse sometimes considered different stages*
"blastzones are jank" (not even true for skyloft)
"i personally don't like it" (a person that mained shiek told me that)
Skyloft to me still has a strong case.
Yoshi wolly world i dont think that stage has any chance of even being considered.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
"We dont need more than one traveling stage." *looks at BF and dreamland and miiverse sometimes considered different stages*
...Battlefield, Dreamland and Miiverse aren't travelling stages, so no, the same thing doesn't apply to both scenarios. A travelling stage is inherently not going to be as accepted as a stationary one; that's just competetive play 101. Minimalization of chance elements is good for competition; that's why all sports have guidelines to follow for most any possibility.

"blastzones are jank" (not even true for skyloft)
They're jank (though I may not like the term) because they're unbalanced; characters like Zamus and Shiek can have a field day for comboing people up off the top blastzone on stages like Delfino.

"i personally don't like it" (a person that mained shiek told me that)
And that's another thing; players don't need to be forced into stages they dislike just because the minority is kicking and screaming for them to be legal because "THEY'RE TOTS NOT BAD, GUIZ". If the community as a group deems a stage unfit for competition, that's the bottom line. We're not going to force people to abandon things we've set just because the stage freedomists are demanding Delfino have tournament legal status.

Again, Zamus and Shiek can reliably 0-death characters on Delfino if they're both on the top platform. That right there is a good reason to ban the stage, and the transformations don't help it, either.

Skyloft to me still has a strong case.
Yoshi wolly world i dont think that stage has any chance of even being considered.
And what, pray tell, does Skyloft have that lets it evade copyright issues as well as all the problems associated with travelling stages like Delfino and Wuhu?

Yikarur

Smash Master
Again, Zamus and Shiek can reliably 0-death characters on Delfino if they're both on the top platform. That right there is a good reason to ban the stage, and the transformations don't help it, either.
Ban Dreamland and Town & City

E: lol@reliably on a stage that has a low ceiling on very telegraphed parts and requiring a grab on the top plattform
E2: I don't even understand why you've mentioned Sheik

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Ban Dreamland and Town & City
Those aren't nearly as egrigious as Delfino, though. You don't see people 0-deathing characters to the top blastzone on those stages much, if at all, and those are usually easier to escape from anyways, since those blastzones aren't nearly as stage-hugging as Delfino's.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I've never seen a 0 to death on Delfino and I play this stage a lot (it's my standard counterpick)
If someone gets 0 to deathd there because he gets grabbed on the top plattorms is his own fault for positioning himself in the worst fashion possible.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
You don't see people 0-deathing characters to the top blastzone on those stages much, if at all
You don't see people 0-deathing characters to any blast zone on any stage much, if at all. Whether or not a death combo will happen has very little to do with the stage chosen. It has to do with the skill gap between the players. The offending player must be significantly better than his or her opponent, get in, get the setups, read the DI, react to the defender's defensive options, and finish off the other player effectively. There are multiple times in which one can escape an otherwise 0-death, on any stage. This isn't Melee, you don't have to just pray they read your DI wrong. Nairs, air dodges, super armor, even counters can get you out of one, because they're not true combos. On any stage.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Should I ask why not?
This was attempted in Brawl by a group called the Unity Ruleset Committee. The project failed because many people (most notably the NY/NJ region) just didn't care and ran their own rulesets. For the most part, the rules of the game are dictated by what North American super-majors run.

NextPain

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nextpain
This was attempted in Brawl by a group called the Unity Ruleset Committee. The project failed because many people (most notably the NY/NJ region) just didn't care and ran their own rulesets. For the most part, the rules of the game are dictated by what North American super-majors run.
Fair enough

Linq

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfLinq
3DS FC
4639-8962-6197
IIRC, Wooly World was given its fair chance at the beginning, but certain matchups like Duck Hunt vs Little Mac were almost literally unplayable on it. I'm not personally a fan of banning a stage just because of a few matchups, it's just what happened.
Still don't see anything wrong with Skyloft or Wuhu in tournaments where Delfino, Halberd, Siege, and Duck Hunt are legal, but UCT should definitely be legal.

Culex77

Smash Rookie
NNID
Culex77
3DS FC
0044-3006-4076
I'd like for it to be legal at the very least a counter-pick. Mostly for the music and partially for more stuff like this to happen.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I'd like for it to be legal at the very least a counter-pick. Mostly for the music and partially for more stuff like this to happen.
i have no problem with that kill at all. seriously dont play near blastzones.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
The EVO 2016 stagelist just came out. It will be FLSS with the following stages:
Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Town & City, Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Duck Hunt, Halberd

Thoughts?

Seiniyta

Smash Cadet
The EVO 2016 stagelist just came out. It will be FLSS with the following stages:
Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Town & City, Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Duck Hunt, Halberd

Thoughts?
Don't pay too much attention to that list. It's basically just the ruleset copied from last year. It's not final by any stretch of the imagination.

Charey

Smash Apprentice
It's the same rule list from last year, which isn't much of a surprise as Mr. Wizard doesn't keep up with what smash is doing.

I would expect it to change soon.

Routa

Smash Lord

Thoughts?
My thoughts? Well my reaction to the stagelist was...

Why?

It is not bad by all means, but in my opinion CS, DP or Halberd could have been switched to UCT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom