• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage .H.A.C.K.ing Central

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
If at all possible, could you animate the water surface so that it has ripples? I'm aware the stage is pretty close to the limit and that reflections are impossible, but I think ripples in the water would give it that final extra omf where it would be "close enough". Right now the water surface just looks too static.
I'll try it when I get some time. It's really close to the limit, but I may be getting some way to expand the stage at least a little.

New picture and video of the Sandcastle stage from Banjo-Kazooie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SRhvR6cpkI

InTrepidCognito

Smash Ace
I may be back somewhat, but really just because I need to ask a question.

^Outer Wall from Cave Story

For whatever reason, whenever I create the collisions for this stage, the game crashes once the match is over. Any ideas (I feel like I know this)?

Also, that Banjo stage made me a happy man.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Check the stage for empty collision entries. Delete them.

For example, if you aren't using the last 2 collision object entries, erase them.

InTrepidCognito

Smash Ace
Deleting the second crashes the game and deleting the third removes the collisions entirely. Besides, this is just being built off of another stage that I made, and I haven't edited those collision objects at all.

Any other ideas? :/

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Check to see if they are attached to something. They may be assigned to attach to a bone that does not exist in your stage.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
Heh, I've been testing some thingies with FoD, and the limit isn't a problem anymore. At least for now. If I keep using new models, I will reach the limit again. But right now, I'm able to include everything I need once again.

New video showing a new feature in the stage, and every previously removed model in the background has been restored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiFidYYPZHg

Next step: New models and effects, like the water ripples.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I must be missing something about adding models to backgrounds still. Almost every time I try to add things to the background of stages, without even touching the main stage or the collision data, it desynchs when I test it in replays. But it's obviously possible because of stages like these, which are more complex than anything I've ever tried to make, and completely wifi safe. So what's the secret? How do you add models to a stage without desynching it?

NO@H

Smash Journeyman
you aren't replacing stuff are you? Particularly with smashville, don't replace the model in modeldata[13], its a path for the balloon.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
No, I just added new models into some modeldatas under the original model, and added an animation so I could position them. I opened Beachville in BrawlBox and it looks like that's all he did too. I can play around with placing my models into different modeldatas, but I can't really see what I did differently than him.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Progress No Jutsu~!

More pics since I'm back and can test quickly.

Meanwhile, can someone tell me how to fix this?

The material for the eye has texture references for ALL of the eye emotions Claydol has and they are flickering together and seem to be controlled by the same polygon.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
More pics since I'm back and can test quickly.

Meanwhile, can someone tell me how to fix this?

The material for the eye has texture references for ALL of the eye emotions Claydol has and they are flickering together and seem to be controlled by the same polygon.
Change the textures themselves so they're equals, and it will not flicker anymore (if possible, of course)

Also, from the pictures I guess you're having a small problem with all the pokemon. I mean, when Lensho makes stages with pokemon from pokepark, he doesn't fix some weird greyish layer every pokemon from that game has. And changing the textures isn't enough. To make them look better, you would need to change the flag3 value in their materials, if I'm not mistaken. I have to admit that they look cool enough, but I guess that if you were able to get rid of that layer, they would look even better.

Also, it's not just change the flag3, there are graphical problems depending on the modeldatas where the pokemon are placed. Sometimes it's a big challenge to fix the pokemon.

This is an example showing the difference:

Original:

Fixed pokemon:

In the case you're interested on fixing them and you didn't manage to make it, you can always send me the stage when it's finished and I would make a try.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Even that statue was made from a Pokepark Charizard model and not the Brawl one? Hmmm...

Changing flag 3 to 1 solved all my problems I had with the models, though Gyarados is still a bit too dark.

I THINK Flag 6 influences this. Let me check.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
No, no, the charizard statue is from brawl, the shade isn't present in it. The lighting on it is different to the rest of the pokemon.

Try if switching gyarados with another of your models changes anything. It could be just the gyarados texture, or the position of gyarados in the stage structure.

EDIT: Flag6 somehow ignores the lighting in the stage, and no shade is applied. Having it to 255 would make the pokemon look brawlbox-like, with no shades at all.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
I don't know how to explain what it does, it's like changing the type of material or something. With flag6 you make them not-dark, but flag3 makes them brawl-model-like.

ds22

Smash Lord
M22K, could you help me out with something?
I have this model imported into a stage I'm currently making:

But whenever I load it ingame, it looks like this:

I tried changing material flags on it, but it either didn't help at all or made him solid black and making the lim_snake texture transparent doesn't work either.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
Let me your stage file (PM) and I quickly test if there's something I can do

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I'm awake now, and I can confirm that it's the textures that are a bit too dark. Thanks for your support.

Question, would it be possible to alter texture references on them?
Like say, to replace the specular lighting with TShadow???

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
I'm awake now, and I can confirm that it's the textures that are a bit too dark. Thanks for your support.

Question, would it be possible to alter texture references on them?
Like say, to replace the specular lighting with TShadow???
I don't think so. It would be cool to be able to use the specular layer with a shadow layer so character cast their shadows on the pokemon, but I don't guess it's possible. The materials with the TShadow texture are special somehow, the shadows are placed directly on them independently of their shape. If you try to use the TShadow texture in standard materials, you will see the characters in white, with a black background. And they will not be in the right position, it will be just the texture with the shadows but nothing more.

If you understood which is special with those materials/textures, you may be able to edit the pokemon. But I don't guess it's an easy task.

By the way, video showing progress in Peach's Castle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f1mf6UoW6w

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
That plat is always present. One issue I'm having now is that PT seems to follow the collisions of the floats.....

Would making a collision for the PT plat help?

Is there a way to make PT ignore all collisions at least?

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
I guess there's some speciall type of collision for the pokemon trainer in some stages. In Norfair, for example, the PT can walk in a platform that standard players can't walk on. You could get a moving platform with only-PT collisions. I don't guess brawlbox would allow you to do this, and I'm not sure about it with brawlwall. You may need to hex. Also, I guess PT goes through the collisions for characters in Corneria (not really checked it), so avoiding the pokemon collisions could be possible. There's also the possibility that this fact (and the PT-only collision thingy) only works for some stages like corneria itself.

If it didn't work for your stage base, and worked over another, you would need to port the stage. Another option is just having the PT base wisely placed so pokemon never interfer with PT.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Unless moving PT further down the z axis works, I might have to port this on another stage.

I require a stage that gives me a lot of file size room.

Currently the stage is at like 35% and it's at 760KB so I need a stage with a PT platform that allows at least 2MB of room.

I'll look into that, but now I need to bring in more floats.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
I thought PT had a platform in Corneria?
That's what I meant, that platform has a ground collision that other characters ignore.

The key here is that collisions aren't affected by Z-axis. You can attach your collision to a model, move it far away in z, and that does nothing. You would be able to stand on a platform even if it's far in the background. You would move the same way it moves, only that you're here flying in the air, and the background is moving far away.

That's why the pokemon trainer collision is interesting, cause you can use a 'far away in z' platform without having other characters standing on it.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
I'm not entirely sure, but in BrawlBox's collision editor, if you leave 'Unknown 1' unchecked, then it becomes a collision just for PT. Not 100% sure on it, but from the stages I looked at that had collisions just for PT (Onett's rooftop and Brinstar's PT platform) that's what I saw that was different from normal collisions.

Top Bottom