• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

Kingbuu

Smash Cadet
Out of the two potential Bowser Stages suggested I would prefer the Neo Bowser City from 3D world because there's still not a stage that reps 3D world and I figure this stage would be the best to represent it because of the pretty visuals and music.

Plus, thanks to stage builder and it's volcanic/lava background you can make a half decent Bowser's Castle stage using certain music that are on the Mario Galaxy and Luigi's mansion stages. It's far from what it could've been but its better than nothing.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Out of the two potential Bowser Stages suggested I would prefer the Bowser World from 3D world because there's still not a stage that reps 3D world and I figure this stage would be the best to represent it because of the pretty visuals and music.

Plus, thanks to stage builder and it's volcanic/lava background you can make a half decent Bowser's Castle stage using certain music that are on the Mario Galaxy and Luigi's mansion stages. It's far from what it could've been but its better than nothing.
Fixed, Bowser World and Neo Bowser City are TWO different things. But otherwise I totally agree, a Bowser-themed 3D World stage would be mind-shattering for me. Waiting since Melee to get that kind of stage.

Kingbuu

Smash Cadet
Fixed, Bowser World and Neo Bowser City are TWO different things. But otherwise I totally agree, a Bowser-themed 3D World stage would be mind-shattering for me. Waiting since Melee to get that kind of stage.
Yeah they both come from the same idea except ones a city and ones a theme park, maybe a hybrid between the two would be nice.
We just didn't get enough music from 3D World. For this stage we need dat Hisstocrat theme as well as the world 8 map music, the Circus theme, Simmering lava lake, as well as a remix of Double Cherry Pass to better suit the stage as the cherry on top.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I'm with you guys.

Smash Bros 4, especially when it comes to Mario representation, has far too many grassland themed stages. A level to represent Bowser would be a MUCH welcome change. Bowser's 3D World stage would be awesome as a DLC stage.

I mean seriously look at all of these Mario stages:
Mushroom Kingdom U (granted it transforms)
Paper Mario (see above)
Golden Plains
3D Land
Mario Galaxy (although a mix of space too, but mostly grassland in space!!)
Mushroomy Kingdom (technically, it's a desert themed stage now too)
Mario Circuit
Mario Circuit (Brawl)
Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Not to mention all of these are based on first areas of their respective games. Yeesh. Don't get me wrong though, I actually like a lot of these stages, with some being my favorites.

Last edited:

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of wanted stages, my list would be something like:
1 - Mario: Bowser Castle.
Some hazards would include lava, thwomps. After some time, the Airship would take the players for a ride.
Songs: Airship, Bowser Road (Galaxy 1), Bowser Battle (Mario64, Galaxy1 and 2)

2 - DKC1/2: Gangplank Galleon.
Permanent water.
Songs: K.Rool/Ship Deck, K.Rool from DKC2, Rattle Battle (remix of ship deck), Welcome to Crocodile Island, Map Page/Bonus Level

3 - Metroid Prime 2 - Sanctuary Fortress. Alternates between Light and Dark. With Dark World enemies and Phazon pools.
Could get some Metroid Prime series songs along with it, like Dark Samus Battle, Credits (MP1), Sanctuary Fortress Theme, Phendrana Drifts theme

Past Stages: Pirate Ship, Hyrule Castle, Saffron City, Mushroom Kingdom 64, Corneria, Yoshi Island 64

Last edited:

Kingbuu

Smash Cadet
Speaking of wanted stages, my list would be something like:
2 - DKC1/2: Gangplank Galleon.
Permanent water.
Songs: K.Rool/Ship Deck, K.Rool from DKC2, Rattle Battle (remix of ship deck), Welcome to Crocodile Island, Map Page/Bonus Level
Those are all awesome song choices and I always wanted a remix of Rattle Battle. However I think if they were to do anything they would take the Gangplank Galleon idea and put it on the Snowmad's ship (which is a trophy) since I think it's more likely they would rep Tropical Freeze next since not only does it have more music and trophies (not by much lol) but it is the most recent game that sorta resembles DKC2 in some ways anyway.

They can mix in recent elements like the Freeze horn freezing parts of the stage and the ship can be attacked by the octopus who has been prominent in both recent games. Plus, it is easier to port over songs from Tropical Freeze since if they wanted to port over anything that was originally 16 bit that was never remastered before such as Rattle Battle and K Rool's theme from DKC2 they would have to remix it so it doesn't sound out of place.

I think that's why Map Page/Bonus Level was the only DK song from Brawl absent in this game (other than Jungle Japes) since because it was still in it's 16 bit form. Though it would've suited Kongo Jungle 64 since it's an old stage that is heavily based on the original DKC.

Songs: Homecoming Hijinx (Original), Aquatic Ambiance (Epic Remix), K Rool theme (New Remix), Welcome to Crocofile Isle (Remix), Jib Jig (Remix), Snakey Chantey (Remix), Krooks March (Remix), Fear Factory Returns (Original), Mine Cart Madness Returns (Original) Northern Hemispheres Returns (Original) Irate Eight Tension (Original), Aquaduct Assult, Sawmill Thrill, Various boss battles from TF (Original) I know this is a big list but it just goes to show Sakurai how you can make a song list for a DK stage without listing about fifty different versions of DK Island Swing.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I'm disappointed that we didn't get a third Pokemon stage. It could have been Saffron, Saffron but with a reskin, or something else like Nimbasa or Mauville or really anything. Especially considering that soon we'll have six playable Pokemon characters

Kingbuu

Smash Cadet
I'm disappointed that we didn't get a third Pokemon stage. It could have been Saffron, Saffron but with a reskin, or something else like Nimbasa or Mauville or really anything. Especially considering that soon we'll have six playable Pokemon characters
Yeah it hurts to think that Metroid, Pokemon, F Zero and Mother actually have less stages here than in Brawl. This makes me wish they can just give us some of the 3DS stages via a downloadable deal or something.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Is it possible to choose which layout you get in Gamer?

Hell, even just a way to ensure you never get one with the desk of life.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah it hurts to think that Metroid, Pokemon, F Zero and Mother actually have less stages here than in Brawl. This makes me wish they can just give us some of the 3DS stages via a downloadable deal or something.
I wish the 3DS version didn't exist and we got all the 3DS new stages (none of the returning stages) in the Wii U version instead of the returning stages we actually got in the Wii U version. I miss the days when the majority of stages are brand-new and the number of returning stages is very small (Brawl had 31 new stages and 10 old stages; Melee had 26 new stages and 3 old stages).

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Why not both? I wouldn't mind having Warioware again on WiiU. Same for the Ordinn Bridge, Delfino Plaza, Green Hill Zone and more.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Just got Smash Wii U the other day.

I was pleasantly surprised with the Wrecking Crew stage, I love how the stage keeps dropping down when the walls explode.

FutureSmashPro

Smash Rookie
I wish the 3DS version didn't exist and we got all the 3DS new stages (none of the returning stages) in the Wii U version instead of the returning stages we actually got in the Wii U version. I miss the days when the majority of stages are brand-new and the number of returning stages is very small (Brawl had 31 new stages and 10 old stages; Melee had 26 new stages and 3 old stages).
I'm glad the 3ds version was made. The Wii U version has the perfect amount of stages IMO. And as more stages are added to Smash's history, more returning stages are inevitable. Remember, Melee only had a handful of possible stages to bring back.

Kingbuu

Smash Cadet
In a way he's right though. I love most of the retro stages in Smash for Wii U just as much as anyone, but I feel as where in Melee and Brawl, retro stages were there as an added bonus to the already complete selection of new stages while in both versions of Smash 4 I feel as though the retro stages were used for filler in case a certain franchise doesn't have enough or any new stages.

I just wish Sakurai wasn't so strict on exclusive stages to the point where it held back both versions. If there were more shared stages I think the stage roster would've been complete on both versions and there still would've been some exclusive stages to keep each version unique. For example, if the Wii U version would've have Rainbow Road, Paper Mario, Gerudo Valley, Mute City, Magicant, WarioWare inc, Distant Planet, Balloon Fight and Pac Maze since those can all be considered to be console game stages anyways, I'm sure they would've served as welcome additions to the Wii U's stage roster they are all pretty fun and unique.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Am I the only one that notices that the AI in CPU battles tend to hug either the left or right blast zones while fighting in non-Omega Boxing Ring? I ran a match between CPU Falcon and Little Mac earlier and they stayed on the right ramp of the stage taking turns knocking each other into the blast zone. They almost never went into the ring itself, nor did they go to the left ramp. Also, Captain Falcon likes to Falcon Kick into the side of the Boxing Ring whenever his opponent is on the opposite side of the stage. Keep in mind that both CPUs were set to level 9. It was pretty interesting.

Whoops, wrong section. Meant for the 3DS version.

Last edited:

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
I became very sad when I saw that Onett was the only Mother stage, I expected way more than a returning stage from brawl.
Since the 3DS version had a Magicant based on the Mother 1 version, I was expecting a Ness's Magicant stage in the Wii U version.

It would start with 2 platforms on top of water, one big one and one small sinkable one. During the fight a Kraken (with 16-bit graphics, like the Flying Men) would be a stage hazard in the water, if it touches a player it dives with the player like the fish in the Balloon Fight stage, however you can still swim away from the Kraken.
During the battle, the stage would change color like when talking to someone in Magicant, during this process giant carrots and tomatoes may sprout on the ground and the main platform may divide into a medium sized and a sinkable small platform.
One of the stage colors changes to the Sea of Eden, on the backround Ness's Nightmare and it's battle backround appear and a second Kraken appears.
Stage OST would include:
Wisdom of the World
Flying Man's Theme
Sanctuary Guardian
Kraken's Theme
Mother (Melee)
Earthbound (Melee)
and of course
Ness's Magicant

Kingbuu

Smash Cadet
I became very sad when I saw that Onett was the only Mother stage, I expected way more than a returning stage from brawl.
Since the 3DS version had a Magicant based on the Mother 1 version, I was expecting a Ness's Magicant stage in the Wii U version.

It would start with 2 platforms on top of water, one big one and one small sinkable one. During the fight a Kraken (with 16-bit graphics, like the Flying Men) would be a stage hazard in the water, if it touches a player it dives with the player like the fish in the Balloon Fight stage, however you can still swim away from the Kraken.
During the battle, the stage would change color like when talking to someone in Magicant, during this process giant carrots and tomatoes may sprout on the ground and the main platform may divide into a medium sized and a sinkable small platform.
One of the stage colors changes to the Sea of Eden, on the backround Ness's Nightmare and it's battle backround appear and a second Kraken appears.
Stage OST would include:
Wisdom of the World
Flying Man's Theme
Sanctuary Guardian
Kraken's Theme
Mother (Melee)
Earthbound (Melee)
and of course
Ness's Magicant
Might as well fit throw in Forside into the OST for this stage considering they left that out of the mix this time around.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
GUys, there wasn't a quota to fill for the number of stages. They made as many original and as many returning as they can, and then split them among the games. If WiiU got all of the 3ds stages, we'd still have the returning stages on top of that. Which rocks.

The reason there's more returning stages than new ones is probably this: you know how each generation of smash (counting both 3ds and WiiU as 1 generation) has more stages than the last, of both original and returning varieties? Well have you also noticed that the rate at which the number of returning stages grow is greater than the rate at which the number of new stages grow?

They are made by different processes, probably different teams. AS technology improves, each one can do their job that much better, but the returning stages side of things increases quicker. So the ratio of new to old stages witll continue to shrink in the next generation, but rest assured there will still be a lot of both.

Kingbuu

Smash Cadet
GUys, there wasn't a quota to fill for the number of stages. They made as many original and as many returning as they can, and then split them among the games. If WiiU got all of the 3ds stages, we'd still have the returning stages on top of that. Which rocks.

The reason there's more returning stages than new ones is probably this: you know how each generation of smash (counting both 3ds and WiiU as 1 generation) has more stages than the last, of both original and returning varieties? Well have you also noticed that the rate at which the number of returning stages grow is greater than the rate at which the number of new stages grow?

They are made by different processes, probably different teams. AS technology improves, each one can do their job that much better, but the returning stages side of things increases quicker. So the ratio of new to old stages witll continue to shrink in the next generation, but rest assured there will still be a lot of both.
Yeah by the way the returning stages were chosen you can tell Sakurai tried to make it so each franchise had a returning stage as long as they still had any left to pick from that wasn't on the 3DS version. The only possible issue I have is that Sakurai primarily goes for Brawl stages first which makes sense but he would only pick a Melee or 64 stage if:
A. There were no Brawl Stages left for that specific franchise (Yoshi's Island Melee)
B. There were no good Brawl stages left for that specific franchise (Onett)
C. The stage is an extremely iconic staple of the series (Temple)
D. There were no great stages from either Melee or Brawl left but the franchise is too important not to have a RT (Kongo Jungle)
So when people ask why they picked Smashville, Skyworld and Mario Circuit over Pirate Ship is because the former three rep franchises (Yes Sakurai counts MK as it's own stage franchise) already have returning stages while Zelda already has two. The real question is why did Sakurai pick Bridge or Eldin and Temple over Pirate Ship especially since Wind Waker HD is more recent than Twilight Princess? I'm thinking they were planning on having a new Wind Waker stage but had to be scrapped for time constraint which is why Zelda only has one new stage. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it for now.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
Yeah by the way the returning stages were chosen you can tell Sakurai tried to make it so each franchise had a returning stage as long as they still had any left to pick from that wasn't on the 3DS version. The only possible issue I have is that Sakurai primarily goes for Brawl stages first which makes sense but he would only pick a Melee or 64 stage if:
A. There were no Brawl Stages left for that specific franchise (Yoshi's Island Melee)
B. There were no good Brawl stages left for that specific franchise (Onett)
C. The stage is an extremely iconic staple of the series (Temple)
D. There were no great stages from either Melee or Brawl left but the franchise is too important not to have a RT (Kongo Jungle)
So when people ask why they picked Smashville, Skyworld and Mario Circuit over Pirate Ship is because the former three rep franchises (Yes Sakurai counts MK as it's own stage franchise) already have returning stages while Zelda already has two. The real question is why did Sakurai pick Bridge or Eldin and Temple over Pirate Ship especially since Wind Waker HD is more recent than Twilight Princess? I'm thinking they were planning on having a new Wind Waker stage but had to be scrapped for time constraint which is why Zelda only has one new stage. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it for now.
I think that makes some sense, but I'd give a bit more credit. I'm pretty sure he's been making sure to add in neutral stages this time (lylat, smashville) and also lots of non-neutral yet unintrusive stages (delfino).

Techno Hunter

Smash Cadet
I've been playing Epic Yarn recently and I noticed one thing.
EVERY SINGLE STAGE OF THAT GAME COULD BE ON SMASH BROS.
But which actually gets on Smash?
A super star level...again

Ugh... and I thought the lack of a Sonic 3 and Knuckles Medley was sad enough...

Kingbuu

Smash Cadet
I think that makes some sense, but I'd give a bit more credit. I'm pretty sure he's been making sure to add in neutral stages this time (lylat, smashville) and also lots of non-neutral yet unintrusive stages (delfino).
You're right and I also think that despite what most competitive players would say (Melee players specifically) I think Brawl generally has better stages than the games before it. IMO they look better, are themed better to the games they are based on, they sound better because of the better selection of music, are catered to more recent games, and they play better for the most part. I think the problem Melee players have with Brawl stages is the fact that even though the platforms are more neutral they have some hazards here and there that they refuse to work their way around (i.e Haliberd's laser cannon, Norfair's lava, Delfino's locations). The only exceptions to my opinion being that New Pork City < Onett, and Rumble Falls < Kongo Jungle which clearly Sakurai was well aware of so he took care of it. Yet none of this explains why he picked 75m, I guess because he needed a returning stage from the pre-NES era and I suppose 75m is less atrocious than Mario Bros. IMO
I've been playing Epic Yarn recently and I noticed one thing.
EVERY SINGLE STAGE OF THAT GAME COULD BE ON SMASH BROS.
But which actually gets on Smash?
A super star level...again

Ugh... and I thought the lack of a Sonic 3 and Knuckles Medley was sad enough...
I think it's a touch of Sakurai bias because I think Super Star is the last Kirby game he made and you can tell because there hasn't been an ordinary Dream Land stage since Green Greens from Melee despite there being a recent Dream Land game on a console. And no I don't count the Gameboy stage being a Dream Land stage, he may as well have reused Green Greens from Melee.
And how about a Super Mario Sunshine Medley for Delfino Plaza? They made Medleys for most of the other returning stages that already have remixes from their representative game but Delfino plaza still only has two songs from Sunshine which none are remixes, just two boring songs ripped from the game. I guess I'll go with Rainbow Cruise since it's the closest thing we have to at least a Super Mario 64 Medley.

PF9

Smash Lord
What does everyone thing of TGCO? I liked that mode on KSSU, and I'm excited to try out the stage.

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
What does everyone thing of TGCO? I liked that mode on KSSU, and I'm excited to try out the stage.
Stage is plenty of fun with 8 players, things can get crazy with all the bouncing back and forth, light characters are hilarious on the stage. Plus it has some stellar music too.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
The fun really start on TGCO when you play a 1vs1 match and it becomes a hunt for the pokeball, since it have a distinct sound.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
It's too big for my taste. Even on my giant TV it can be hard to make out where you are. That said, there's a ton of variety, since you'll end up fighting all over the place. With 8 people it can be good, albeit occasionally confusing fun.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Considering how prominent Pokemon is of a Nintendo series it really does deserve a third stage. Hell I would've taken Prism Tower or Unova Pokemon League being on both systems, Pokemon Stadium 1 returning, anything.

Of course maybe with the Mewtwo DLC we might get a bonus stage and they're hiding that to reveal with his release? We can hope? Probably not but still.

Top Bottom