• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
beyond the tracks from the gamboy version do nintendo actually own tetris? i dont think its eligible

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Would that be more or less pointless than adding the same franchise as music only like in Brawl?
i believe nintendo own the rights to those music track so they wouldnt have to go through the trouble of getting a licence to use them

it must be like how they dr wright but not sim city

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I still don't understand why we can't get a Super Mario RPG or Paper Mario stage. It would have great music, maybe even cool assist trophies, and not to mention a stage boss! But we would have probably needed a Mario RPG rep to make that happen...

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I still don't understand why we can't get a Super Mario RPG or Paper Mario stage. It would have great music, maybe even cool assist trophies, and not to mention a stage boss! But we would have probably needed a Mario RPG rep to make that happen...
We can have one and I want this so much (don't necessarily need the rep though).

Here is my idea on paper mario's support thread I made.

Stage

The theatre from Paper Mario the Thousand-year Door

This is the battle stage you see in Paper Mario the Thousand-year Door when fighting any enemies. Because there's so much stuff that happens in this stage, it has, like Paper Mario a huge potential especially in the hazard department. Here's a list:

• The audience can throw good (healing items) or bad (damaging items like bones, rocks, cans and hammer)
  • A boo can appear to make a player invisible
  • A shy guy may appear to go offstage and make a projector fall on the player for damage
  • The audience can leave or come randomly. They can also make the audience sleepy and make people run away
  • There's decor in the background and they can fall on the player randomly for damage
  • Fog may appear. It could act like a smoke ball but on the lower part of the stage (and it takes the whole scene)
  • Fireworks may damage player randomly
  • This stage appears with many backgrounds in the game depending on the environment you trigger the battle. This can be translated by having the curtains closing and opening to change the layout of the stage and the background. This can also be a way for boss hazard to appear and damage the player.
As you can see, this stage as so much potential that it's scary. So, why not for ssb4?

Ah, I love to dream (but seriously, I want this stage in ssb4).

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
What I want
Wii U version
A Twilight princess new stage like the twili palace
A tropical freeze stage
A Metroid Prime stage
Nintendoland
A 3d world stage
A mario kart 8 stage
3DS Version
A metroid fusion stage
An stage based on Luigi's mansion dark moon
An stage based on dream team

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'd really love to see a stage based on Donkey Kong Country Returns (as if it weren't already likely). The Golden Temple would be a nice pick. It seems to be pretty representative of the game as a whole.

It could have giant floating fruit as its platforms, like in the actual level.

CCD23

Smash Cadet
OK, there's something about the stages that's been bugging me that no one has brought up that I know of. I originally posted this in the Ridley support thread because I believe what I'm pointing out helps Ridley's chances of being playable. But since I posted this in the middle of an argument, no one really commented on it. And I think more stage-related discussion can be drawn from this instead of Ridley-related.

Anyway, here is my post, almost verbatim:

-----------------------------------

During the "Ridley's" shadow part of the Direct, the caption says "Other bosses appear on other stages." Setting Ridley aside for a moment and thinking about the quote, having bosses appear on multiple stages seems like overkill to me. And the plural form of the nouns in the quote imply that there are at least two or more bosses and stages beyond Yellow Devil. (Though this could be a mistranslation of the Japanese since Japanese does not have singular/plural forms of nouns.) Granted, none of us know exactly how many stages are like this nor the total amount of stages, but isn't the point of having a wide variety of stages is that the stages are all diverse? So why have the same concept on multiple stages? Yes, different bosses on different stages will probably do different things to mix things up a bit. But still, having a stage-specific character appear during matches for the sole purpose of disruption / mixing things up on multiple stages just seems like overkill and is also uncharacteristic of Sakurai. (Unless they are smaller, less obstructive characters such as Pokemon on Saffron City in Smash 64, Donkey Kong on 75m, Chimera on New Pork City, Pokemon on certain variations of Spear Pillar, etc... That would make more sense.)

To be honest, from what I've seen, having to fight Yellow Devil in the middle of a match just seems like it would be obnoxious and annoying to me. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of stage hazards and I play on ALL stages in Melee and Brawl. But having this sort of large, obstructive character on multiple stages, if it's true, kills some of the hype I have for the upcoming stages. It also does not seem like a wise choice when designing stages.

----------------------------------------

So, what are your thoughts on this "other bosses on other stages"? Do you think there will be large obstructive bosses like Yellow Devil on two, three or more stages? Or will the "bosses" be more like the less obstructive characters on the stages I mentioned in the above post? Opinions, please. :smash:

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I see no reason not to, even if I'm not hugely in favour. Stages like Big Blue would not work but others like Halberd, Yoshi's Island (Brawl) and Delfino Plaza would be doable.
Big Blue could be just fighting atop the Falcon Flyer with the track on the background.

CCD23

Smash Cadet
Just to make things absolutely clear, here's a quote bubble so you know who I'm talking to.
Well, that is what such a feature is for on forum boards.

Your argument is pure denial.
At any rate, I really don't know how you got "pure denial" from what I posted. But since you missed it, all I was discussing was the idea of having multiple bosses on multiple stages and how it would affect stage diversity and game play as well as people's thoughts and opinions on the matter. I wasn't posting some whiny rant. I'm really not picking up what you're putting down here.

Just because something isn't to your tastes (or many people's) doesn't mean it's not true.
And, um, obviously? Once again, not the tone or intention of my post. Yeah, I may not like having huge ass bosses interrupt matches on multiple stages, and that is my prerogative. But since when was this confirmed to be true? Either there will be two or more large bosses or there won't be. That is the issue and I believe it would make a good topic for discussion, but that hasn't been working out too well so far.

*sigh*

Last edited:
I'm surprised we haven't had a stage specifically from Super Mario Bros. 3. It's probably the most pivotal and beloved title in Mario's history, so I wonder why it's been avoided.

What would work for that? An Airship level seems appropriate, but they could do even better than that. There could be one of those tank fleets from late in the game, that way you could have the fighters getting run over and sent flying by the giant tanks.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not sure how likely another Skyward Sword stage is, but one that I would be interested in seeing would be Demise's chosen battlefield. It would be a nice and simple walk off stage with minimal detail (aside from the clouds and lightning). Maybe Demise could be the boss on this stage or just the lightning. I am not sure, but it would be an interesting stage from my perspective. Other than that, I wonder if we will get a Legend of Zelda stage that is actually a boss arena. The boss could obviously be the stage-hazard boss. I guess we already have Koume and Kotake, but they are not necessarily in the spirit temple. I was thinking something more along the lines of actually being in the dungeon.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd love to see a stage based on Dillon's Rolling Western. Maybe a 3DS exclusive?

AIM0001

Smash Lord
We can have one and I want this so much (don't necessarily need the rep though).

Here is my idea on paper mario's support thread I made.

Stage

The theatre from Paper Mario the Thousand-year Door

This is the battle stage you see in Paper Mario the Thousand-year Door when fighting any enemies. Because there's so much stuff that happens in this stage, it has, like Paper Mario a huge potential especially in the hazard department. Here's a list:

• The audience can throw good (healing items) or bad (damaging items like bones, rocks, cans and hammer)
  • A boo can appear to make a player invisible
  • A shy guy may appear to go offstage and make a projector fall on the player for damage
  • The audience can leave or come randomly. They can also make the audience sleepy and make people run away
  • There's decor in the background and they can fall on the player randomly for damage
  • Fog may appear. It could act like a smoke ball but on the lower part of the stage (and it takes the whole scene)
  • Fireworks may damage player randomly
  • This stage appears with many backgrounds in the game depending on the environment you trigger the battle. This can be translated by having the curtains closing and opening to change the layout of the stage and the background. This can also be a way for boss hazard to appear and damage the player.
As you can see, this stage as so much potential that it's scary. So, why not for ssb4?

Ah, I love to dream (but seriously, I want this stage in ssb4).
This is.......pure GENIUS!

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I have a cool idea for an Advance Wars Stage. It's a scrolling stage that comes at a set pace from the background.

Players are fighting on a series on massive Carrier Ships that are following each other, tip to tip. Each Ship has different units on it, that will become platforms at some point.

Each "rotation" the ships move forward 1 space (each ship has 4 spaces). Rotations happen once every 20 seconds, when an on-screen meter has filled up.

3 units can fit on any given ships space, but no more than 2 are ever filled

APCs - flat, mid-height, lasts 1 rotation, creates platform only (no ledge or wall). You can either stand on top of it or in front of it. If you are standing in front of it when the meter is full, you'll be screen-ko'd

Fighters - mid-high-height, slightly sloped platform, platform only, lasts 2 rotations, screen KOs with wheels on the second rotation

Bombers - fill 2 spaces, last 2 rotations, very high, flat platforms that create ledges

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I wanna see another Mario stage on Wii U. 3D World was great, or Peach's Castle, or a Mario Party or Golf stage would be awesome.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Mario Party could be legit. But how could they make a gimmic like that work? *waits for a genius idea from one of the other users*

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I wanna see another Mario stage on Wii U. 3D World was great, or Peach's Castle, or a Mario Party or Golf stage would be awesome.
But... TTYD theather :cry:

I know the need of a bowser castle but just imagining TTYD theather makes me want it more (oh the potential I'm dreaming again but it can happen).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wish to see Murasame Castle as a stage but the layout is similar to Ninja JaJaMaru-kun.

It is like Luigi's Mansion (Brawl stage) where players can see the castle's exterior when characters are outside... and see the castle's interior when characters are inside. Unlike Luigi's Mansion, Murasame Castle has four levels instead of three. Also unlike Luigi's Mansion, Murasame Castle cannot be destroyed... instead, certain sections of floors can be destroyed much like the bricks in Mushroom Kingdom (Melee stage). The top level is the castle's roof, of course. The background shows gorgeous Japanese landscapes with farmlands, sakura trees and sparkling lakes.

To get a better idea of the stage layout I am trying to describe, here's a gameplay video of Ninja JajaMaru-kun.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Is anybody else getting as concerned as I am at the apparent lack of stages? Seeing as the 3DS version is getting released in a couple of months, I'd have thought we'd have seen more stages by now. We'd seen a lot more stages than this by this time before Brawl's release.

It's possible that because we'll be having an E3 presentation soon, there's going to be a few revealed then. I can't help but think the number of stages in each new game looks like it's going to be fewer.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Is anybody else getting as concerned as I am at the apparent lack of stages? Seeing as the 3DS version is getting released in a couple of months, I'd have thought we'd have seen more stages by now. We'd seen a lot more stages than this by this time before Brawl's release.

It's possible that because we'll be having an E3 presentation soon, there's going to be a few revealed then. I can't help but think the number of stages in each new game looks like it's going to be fewer.
Stages not revealed = associated with newcomer franchises / specific characters.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Stages not revealed = associated with newcomer franchises / specific characters.
Boxing stage was revealed significantly earlier than Little Mac. I guess some of the unrevealed stages might be huge clues, though.
Still, for the Wii U game we haven't seen stages for Fire Emblem; and the 3DS Mega Man and Sonic stages haven't been revealed. Not to mention no sign whatsoever of new stages for Donkey Kong, Kirby or Starfox on either platform!

If there were stages they couldn't reveal yet for newcomer-spoiling purposes, I would have expected to see a few more stages from franchises already represented.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Boxing stage was revealed significantly earlier than Little Mac. I guess some of the unrevealed stages might be huge clues, though.
Still, for the Wii U game we haven't seen stages for Fire Emblem; and the 3DS Mega Man and Sonic stages haven't been revealed. Not to mention no sign whatsoever of new stages for Donkey Kong, Kirby or Starfox on either platform!

If there were stages they couldn't reveal yet for newcomer-spoiling purposes, I would have expected to see a few more stages from franchises already represented.

There was a sonic stage revealed. It's called windy hill zone or something like that.

Top Bottom