• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Well, the Super Mario Galaxy stage is pretty straightforward overall, but the problems that it poses are it's obvious gravity mechanic (which personally I don't think will be TOO much of an issue) and the fact that it does look pretty big, about Pyrosphere size.
I have a feeling that the Galaxy stage will be competition viable though.
The major problem it has is the walk off edges.

Stphntoth

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gamefan1992
3DS FC
4339-2569-8710
Switch FC
8139-1515-0706
Aside from the new stages that was shown since E3 the only stage we haven't have much info of is the Nintendogs stage. We need more info on what the dog will do.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Aside from the new stages that was shown since E3 the only stage we haven't have much info of is the Nintendogs stage. We need more info on what the dog will do.
90% of the stages we don´t have info :(

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
While there are a few stages I don't find that fun to play (Temple is awesome, but with CPUs, it is horrible. Brawl's Mushroomy and both DK stages, as well as that new Mother stare are some of the ones that are either too big or too, well, bad). But these 'competetive' things are waay too picky about stages, in my opinion. :/ From what we know of the Galaxy Stage, I see nothing to prevent it from them playing it well.

Anyways. For those who have played Super Mario 3D World, that final Level/World would make for a Amazing stage. I would say more, but I can't figure out where the Spoiler Tag is, so I rather not say Spoiler things for those who hasn't played it yet..

ryuu seika

Smash Master
For spoilers, encase the text between two instances of [ collapse] with no space and a / between the bracket and the word on the second one. This site does not make them easy to find.

As for the problem with walkoff stages, it's the ability to sit in a bubble off stage and either stall indefinitely or force an approach that allows you to instakill your opponent at any percent. Even if you do slip up, it doesn't lead to a fight, just you instadying instead.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Yes, a one hit kills competition with both players off screen. So much fun...
Competitive Smash has never been fun, it strips the fun from the game like ripping the skin from a flailing animal and leaving it to dry with Wavedashes. These people only care about winning, so I guess I'll just have fun with my stage from A FUN, MEMORABLE GAME instead of playing on Battlefield and smashville.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Competitive Smash has never been fun, it strips the fun from the game like ripping the skin from a flailing animal and leaving it to dry with Wavedashes. These people only care about winning, so I guess I'll just have fun with my stage from A FUN, MEMORABLE GAME instead of playing on Battlefield and smashville.
I don't think I even want to try to explain why you're wrong with this

And anyways, walk-off edges are considered unfair because they give advantages to any character with chain grabs, promote camping, and lead to early and easy deaths.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I don't think I even want to try to explain why you're wrong with this

And anyways, walk-off edges are considered unfair because they give advantages to any character with chain grabs, promote camping, and lead to early and easy deaths.
Chaingrabs should be eliminated from the game...but I guess the other things can't be avoided with competitive play, I guess it's just not meant to be fun.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Chaingrabs should be eliminated from the game...but I guess the other things can't be avoided with competitive play, I guess it's just not meant to be fun.
This discussion has been had one thousand time in one thousand different ways; try not to bash other players just because they prefer to play a game in a different way.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Meh dont care about this argument, so back to stage ideas

----
Since i doubt MGS stages have been discussed much, heres what i would like to see

3DS stages:

For these id assume MGS3D would be the source so i think either the bridge in dolinovodno would be a good choice (possible hornet nests could be knocked around)

Or Groznyj grad, either the roof or the runway for the shagohad (or even on the shagohad with bikers chasing you) would be a good place.

---

WiiU stage:

And for the console one, id like to see mother base (from V or peacewalker)

It could have metal gear zeke in the back as a hazard, or it could have a day and night cycle in which case at night it would get destroyed like weve seen in ground zeroes.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I like a splash of both competitive and fun battles. Ive been diggin competitive lately, so thats cool.
Stage ideas? Prism Tower in Lumoise City would be awesome. (Like in the Anime, where Ash was with Garchomp)

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I like a splash of both competitive and fun battles. Ive been diggin competitive lately, so thats cool.
Stage ideas? Prism Tower in Lumoise City would be awesome. (Like in the Anime, where Ash was with Garchomp)
I think a good location would be the plaza, not inside the Prism Tower.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
You mean, the plaza is more iconic than the symbol of the entire city itself?
Actually, even if you argue that Prism Tower's more important, the plaza is still the perfect location...Prism Tower's iconic looks are seen from the outside, plus the plaza's the place that connects all of Lumiose City and the place where people hatch their Pokemon eggs.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Actually, even if you argue that Prism Tower's more important, the plaza is still the perfect location...Prism Tower's iconic looks are seen from the outside, plus the plaza's the place that connects all of Lumiose City and the place where people hatch their Pokemon eggs.
What? What does the Plaza exactly offer? Flat ground at most, maybe some water dripped on the side, but with the Prism Tower, it could easily be a side-scrolling stage (Melee Ice Mountain anyone?) That would represent X/Y pretty well. Not to mention, the Plaza COULD be a part of Prism Tower,if it was at the very bottom.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
What? What does the Plaza exactly offer? Flat ground at most, maybe some water dripped on the side, but with the Prism Tower, it could easily be a side-scrolling stage (Melee Ice Mountain anyone?) That would represent X/Y pretty well. Not to mention, the Plaza COULD be a part of Prism Tower,if it was at the very bottom.
Even though I despise everything competitive players like, I'd rather have a static, crazy stage than a scrolling stage.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Even though I despise everything competitive players like, I'd rather have a static, crazy stage than a scrolling stage.
Ok, hows the Plaza crazy? Also, if the Prism Tower werent to be a side-scrolling stage, it could still be a suspended platform stage. It wouldnt be a walk-off.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
fellas fellas, i think we can find a compromise.

How about the top of the tower of mastery, with a view of lumiose city in the back? Lit up at night with fire works every now and then.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Moving on...a must-have Metroid Prime stage!

Phaaze - Landing Site
First of all, we need a Phaaze stage, and second, we need a stage where Samus' ship actually appears on the background or the foreground, because the only representation that ship has gotten was that (awesome) cutscene from Brawl where they assault the Subspace Armada. Phaaze could have growing Phazon Shrooms around that power up players for a short time when they're grabbed, maybe creatures and particles of Phazon emerging from the hole as visual effects. It would also give room for the more organic songs on the Metroid franchise to make it in!

andimidna

Smash Master

So is :spearpillar: basically deconfirmed to return?

Edit: Do not use the daily pic link, as that link's image changes with each update.

Last edited by a moderator:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
That's kinda sad :( Why would Sakurai remove such an iconic location from the Pokemon series?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
A Wii U stage idea: Gateway Colosseum from Pokémon Battle Revolution. The entirety of Pokétopia can be seen in the background of what could be called the most iconic colosseum of the game.
[collapse="Image"]
[/collapse]

To fit the gameplay of Smash Bros., the circular area of the entire colosseum would be reduced in size, resulting a huge donut-shaped bottomless pit between the structure and the actual arena. Platforms could be added to the stage as well. The background would feature fireworks and the cheering of spectators could be constantly heard on the stage, maybe reacting to the battle as well. Flying Pokémon could also be featured in the background.

Maybe this could also have the transforming mechanic like the Pokémon Stadiums from previous Smash Bros. games. Being from Gen IV, this could be Lucario's home stage too.

Some music that could appear on this stage...
Pokémon Battle Revolution - Gateway Colosseum
Pokémon Red / Blue - Pokémon Main Theme
Pokémon Colosseum - Cipher Peon Battle

could still show up on the 3ds version
Assuming Palkia is NOT a Poké Ball summon on that version...

There could still exist a new version of that stage, though...

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
A Wii U stage idea: Gateway Colosseum from Pokémon Battle Revolution. The entirety of Pokétopia can be seen in the background of what could be called the most iconic colosseum of the game.
[collapse="Image"]
[/collapse]

To fit the gameplay of Smash Bros., the circular area of the entire colosseum would be reduced in size, resulting a huge donut-shaped bottomless pit between the structure and the actual arena. Platforms could be added to the stage as well. The background would feature fireworks and the cheering of spectators could be constantly heard on the stage, maybe reacting to the battle as well. Flying Pokémon could also be featured in the background.

Maybe this could also have the transforming mechanic like the Pokémon Stadiums from previous Smash Bros. games. Being from Gen IV, this could be Lucario's home stage too.

Some music that could appear on this stage...
Pokémon Battle Revolution - Gateway Colosseum
Pokémon Red / Blue - Pokémon Main Theme
Pokémon Colosseum - Cipher Peon Battle

Assuming Palkia is NOT a Poké Ball summon on that version...

There could still exist a new version of that stage, though...
I'd rather have only Gateway Colosseum, I had never been fond of the transforming on the Pokemon Stadium stage, and dat' PBR Main Theme remix! I think it should just be a flat space, fitting the 'standard colosseum' feeling it has on PBR itself. With amazing fireworks on the background and the PBR announcer shouting THUNDER DETONATES WITH A BOOM! when Pikachu kills someone using it.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
fellas fellas, i think we can find a compromise.

How about the top of the tower of mastery, with a view of lumiose city in the back? Lit up at night with fire works every now and then.
I thought of something similar, but with it being a scrolling level, starting at the base of Lucario's statue.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Heh.
If Lucario's statue is part of a stage then it will automatically prove all the Palutena haters wrong. :p

And @ Frostwraith Frostwraith , I love the stage idea. If we get some Coliseum music I would love a remix of Mewtwo's theme.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Competitive Pokemon players know that the optimal place to hatch their eggs is Centrico Plaza.
I fail to see the logic in that. It's highly unlikely that you'll get what you're looking for with just one egg, and going back and forth between Lumiose and the daycare hatching only one egg at a time would would take forever.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Hmm. The NintenDogs stage. Not a single time has it appeared in a Pic of the Day.

... why? :/

You know, that's actually a really good question. I hadn't thought of that until now.

Conspiracy Theory: There was a big thing I posted about a long time back where you can kinda see Ness on the screen in the background (the TV) during the intro video. It looked like it might be playing the Melee intro or something. Maybe it's because the screen actually does have spoilers?

Louie G.

Smash Hero

You know, that's actually a really good question. I hadn't thought of that until now.

Conspiracy Theory: There was a big thing I posted about a long time back where you can kinda see Ness on the screen in the background (the TV) during the intro video. It looked like it might be playing the Melee intro or something. Maybe it's because the screen actually does have spoilers?
Wow, that's interesting.
I tried to watch the trailer over again, but the glare on the little TV prevents anything from being seen.

Top Bottom