• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion Thread #3[Yoshis Island]

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Yoshis Island​

Summary
A short summary about how G&W performs on the stage and any particularly useful techniques/tactics on the stage. Also highlight a general strategy for this stage.
Rating
1-10
Character
List any characters that does really well or really bad on this stage, to alert you of which stages to ban or counterpick. An explanation would also be nice.

GoGoGo!

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
The right side ledge of this stage is very special if G&W is under 100%. If you tap the jump button to get up from the ledge, you will instead just fall back down.

Some neat tricks you can do with this are:
- Any falling air attack.
- Weird UpB invincibility.
- While holding left, press jump then hold shield.
- While holding left, press jump then buffer a tilt or a smash.

Yeah, have fun playing with those. Getting up with shield is incredibly fast!

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
The right side ledge of this stage is very special if G&W is under 100%. If you tap the jump button to get up from the ledge, you will instead just fall back down.

Some neat tricks you can do with this are:
- Any falling air attack.
- Weird UpB invincibility.
Wait, you mean like DK's Spinning Kong invincibility on the same stage?

Mang, it would be awesome if GaW could get invincibility for all of Fire!.

In my experience,
If you're above the platform, you want to be on its high end.
If you're below the platform, you want to be on its low end.

GaW's boxes just seem nicer with this setup, not to mention how coming at someone below the plat's low end is nearly impossible.

So no one forgets to say it:

Always remember to trigger the support ghost before doing an edgeguard. It won't come up and save your opponent that way.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Okay, must have been confirmation bias. I jumped to conclusions.
Sorry for false testimony.

I looked at replays of YI matches, then just watched the stage in two eight-minute matches I set up with two controllers where the chars just walked around.

The plats show up in intervals of something like 11 seconds... except it randomly varies around 11 seconds to sometimes 12.5 seconds, and I think as low as 9 seconds. EDIT: In any case, it's never actually a clean integer value in seconds, because the digit on the timer was *always* tough to call precisely. Then, I *think* periodically, but I was relying on memory just for these tests, it tosses in about a 15 second delay before running in this manner again. My attention drooped sometimes and I think there are even 25 second gaps.

I thought I could influence or predict which side it pops up on, during these tests....

Well, while I'm off studying the level (with charts now!), at least you can say: Consider the appearance of the Support Ghost when edgeguarding.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
You got me all excited about triggering support ghosts...

I personally don't like using G&W on this stage, people I face tend to camp under the platform leaving me unable to reach them. It's escpecially annoying against characters like Olimar.

And I wish I knew about the left ledge sooner. I've killed myself becuase I magically disappeared from off the ledge, instead ofgetting over the stage.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Pretty bad stage for us. Olimar will **** us here, so will snake. Not too bad for other match-ups, but the platform doesn't aid us too much as far as shield pressure goes. There are better stages for us to go to, and better neutrals for us to go to. I suppose if we are forced to, vs IC's this stage is a good neutral considering what they'll strike, so keep this one up vs them.

4/10 for this stage. Bad vs a few characters, why would you use it vs others, and only semi-good vs IC's only because it's your only option.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I nearly always strike this stage. The platform is non-ideal for Gdubs (<3 Platform camping) and sets up a place for characters to camp where Gdubs just can't get in. IMO, possibly one of his worst stages.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ducking in the center of the stage is fun. Especially against space animals.

Honestly I do think this stage is good against space animals since there is less room for them to run and camp comfortably.

DUB

Smash Lord
i guess it's alright against diddy?
One of the better neutrals to fight him on sure. When you shield or get hit by a naner, 90% the banana seems to land on the platform lowering his combo ability a little. Also, Shy Guys are troll. They'll intercept naners and peanuts.

D-tilt at the edge will keep him from MFKing back to it and force him to barrel.. You could probably even f-tilt the MKF if he's in kill %.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
I think it's a pretty bad stage because you can hardly use G&W B neutral against non-projectile opponents. All his projectiles will get stuck in that **** platform. Chef is the only G&W "zoneing" attack, thus I consider important to have a level were you can use it freely.

About the right ledge trick, yeah it's pretty awesome, but I guess it's very situational. You're not gonna camp there 24/7.

Lifes

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lifes14
I find this stage good against some match-ups and hard for others but utd tricks can be really helpful

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
I always strike Yoshi'd, I strongly dislike the center platform, it just gets in the way. It makes it easier for those characters that enjoy to play campy.

Lifes, what match-ups do you find this stage good for?

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Don't like this for the same reason as halberd, the middle plat :L,makes approaching very difficult, especially against characters with projectiles and range(marth,olimar,ZSS,DK,TL,snake,etc). Still a decent stage for juggles. Also when the plat is slanted towards the edge,dtilt can be a decent edgeguard lol. Shy guys can be used to prolong smashes and we have a few tricks with the slanted ledge.
I don't really think there are any characters that we have an advantage against on this stage, in fact the flat ledge helps alot of characters with bad recoveries.

I say 6/10

Also just going to place this here for later use
YI is a very meh stage. There is no reason to want to go here... The platform is large enough that our nair won't force a hit (on BF or lylat we push them far enough till they fall off the platform), and we can't realy key through to poke our opponent from above. We can't run away that well, and there is no way to approach vertically. Our linear approach is intensified, making this a pretty bad stage for us. We do have the below 100% trick on the right ledge (where instead of jumping when pressing jump on the ledge we just instantly let go/appear on the stage). I can't think of many match-ups where we'd CP here, except for maybe ness, but this stage is just bad for ness in general.

I will say however that sometimes the shy guys can really extend the duration of our smashes, making for really lulzy kills.

Splice

Smash Hero
I think this stage is good against Metaknights
One of the better stages at least
perhaps not one of the very best choices though
unless your stagelist is super restrictive

<___<

Ruuku

Smash Lord
I used to take Pit there. The slopes on the ledges and the fact that he can't go under the stage limit his options on the ledge.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
But but but, I hate FD vs MK =(
I think FD is bad against everyone.

Also, that ledge trick can be pretty useful if they're just trying to zone you out while you're on the ledge. Stand up fsmash can create some breathing room, and they can't really get over it since it'll be slanted up lol. Stand up dsmash is also good, since its hitboxes are big ****ing circles around his hammers, meaning you can hit opponents who thought they were safe.

I find this stage to be excellent against space animals, especially Fox. The only characters I don't like to face here are Oli and Marth, and although I wouldn't take a Snake here, I'm not worried since no Snake that I know of would pick YI to start or as a CP. Without MU experience I can't say much for it, but it doesn't feel that bad to me. I like it better than Lylat because I don't get stuck under the ledge here, and it's defs better than FD.
Then again I'm a scrub.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Lylat and Yi are my least favorites lol. Just feel I can't approach as well as if I were I playing on SV/BF

anyway,great stuff
I'll have it done by later today or tomorrow

Splice

Smash Hero
Actually Penta for me i find

Smashville and FD and PS1 are great for MK and I can get shut down harder there

BF is middle ground

Lylat and YI are the greatest. I say Lylat though because I know it very well, spacing wise and offstage tricks wise, and the MKs here have decided to strike it instead of learning it, so it could definitely be bad for us all in all.

Also
Pit definitely hates this stage
and this stage is great vs Diddy, he cant control us with bananas as well as usual and we have better platform set up to intercept them and control them ourselves. I also think the ledges here make it easier to gimp Diddy as he cant go under the stage at all coz of walls so its easier to trap him.

Probably my second favourite starter, just behind lylat.

Top Bottom