• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Counterpicking Change Proposal

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I say more than my first suggestion: Let the BBR create more legal stages in the Stage creator to be accepted at tournaments as legal stages. I have no doubt in my mind that there are stages than can be created that aren't as stupid as some of the tournament legal stages we have now and to prove that: we could probably make a Green greens with no apples, wind, or blocks.
I'm pretty sure OS does this in the Midwest, but I'm not 100% sure.

To be honest, this is one of the better ideas I've seen, but it still doesn't address the whole "weight in game 1" problem. It's a good solution to MK dominating on many of our legal stages, but there's still the problem.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure OS does this in the Midwest, but I'm not 100% sure.

To be honest, this is one of the better ideas I've seen, but it still doesn't address the whole "weight in game 1" problem. It's a good solution to MK dominating on many of our legal stages, but there's still the problem.
Id rather have MK get Battlefield, Final Destination, and Smashville than him getting Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, and Green Greens.

The weight in game 1 problem is because all of the other stages are too hard for the person getting counterpicked on. With more neutral-like stages, there wouldn't be this problem.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Id rather have MK get Battlefield, Final Destination, and Smashville than him getting Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, and Green Greens.

The weight in game 1 problem is because all of the other stages are too hard for the person getting counterpicked on. With more neutral-like stages, there wouldn't be this problem.
Well, even if there ARE more neutral stages, Game 1 still has significantly more weight, since you get to counterpick your preferred neutral for Game 3.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
A 1-minute 1-stock preliminar game that do NOT count for the match, in order to get a loser to CP first, and, if match goes to last game, it would be decided in a neutral stage....

Thoughs?

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
A 1-minute 1-stock preliminar game that do NOT count for the match, in order to get a loser to CP first, and, if match goes to last game, it would be decided in a neutral stage....

Thoughs?
Let's make long tournaments even longer?

I like the creativity, but that's not going to settle well with TOs and players who don't want to be at tournaments until 3 am.

Well, even if there ARE more neutral stages, Game 1 still has significantly more weight, since you get to counterpick your preferred neutral for Game 3.
If it isn't a stage that really debilitates both players, then it's a reward worth getting for the one who wins Game 1.
Winning Game 1 shouldn't be an auto-win for the set, but it should still put pressure on the other player knowing they have to win 2 games in a row to beat them.

salaboB

Smash Champion

Thoughs?
Wouldn't each player try to throw the match so they get to cp?

Also, how is this functionally different than what's currently in place, just getting the counterpicks out of the way first?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Wouldn't each player try to throw the match so they get to cp?

Also, how is this functionally different than what's currently in place, just getting the counterpicks out of the way first?
Thinking that way, even with rulings about SDing, people would do MAJOR sandbagging (more than usual) and really dumb actions....
I can't believe people really can act in that ******** way... yet, they do...

EDIT: functionally, it's like "letting the fairness for the last"

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I think we should do away with the stupid stages and make more widely accepted legal ones.

Edit: I'm going to go make some legal-like stages and post pictures. We'll take a vote on which stages are the best out of my examples and the legal counterpicks. Others post legal style stages if you have them.

Edit edit: I'll do it tomorrow. I feel too lazy today.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
How I think it should work is

Game 1: Higher seed counterpicks
Game 2: Lower seed counterpicks
Game 3: Neutral via stage strike

But most people are going to think this idea is stupid/gay

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
How I think it should work is

Game 1: Higher seed counterpicks
Game 2: Lower seed counterpicks
Game 3: Neutral via stage strike

But most people are going to think this idea is stupid/gay
This still changes nothing other than moving the weight to Game 3 instead of Game 1, and doesn't work at all with unseeded entrants. -_-

Top Bottom