• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Builder

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Stage Builder was a good step in the right direction for ur own custom content. But it was boring & could've been so much better.

More block options: lava, water, sticky blocks, quick-sand blocks, transparent blocks, disappearing blacks, even shrinking blocks would be appreciated. Blocks need to be rotatable & have better sizes to choose from. There should also be different variations of the moving & falling platforms. Walk-off stages & scrollable stages should of been implemented in Brawl, I would really like this option. Weather & day/night options would be great as well.

Basic themes like forest, desert, castle, & space themes should be available from the start. Game based themes should be unlockables or dlc. Stage hazards like flipping the stage or making it go temporary underwater would be fun. Other ideas include: falling debris, rising lava, & instant darkness. Game theme packs could include hazards based on their games & common enemies that could act like hazards.

Players could play their custom stages on Friend Mode or/& a mode dedicated to custom stages without both players having to download the stage before play. Players should be able to download a custom stage from the online store for free or from another player. Music from your SD card could be used for Custom Stages.

Any other ideas to improve Stage Builder?

:phone:

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
?? I don't see why we'd need blocks at all?
I'd much prefer to draw it like in LBP :/

But other then that i agree with there being more types of surfacing, and more special backgrounds, and perhaps even a water riser?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I always wanted the ability to make a stage with ( I don't know the correct term ) edges that, when walked off of, cause a K.O. Like in Bridge of Eldin or Flat Zone.
An option to adjust the boundaries doesn't sound to farfetched does it? Having the preset boundaries of Large Medium and Small is nice. But I want to be able to shape the height and width myself. Setting the point where Characters are considered out of bounds and are knocked out before respawning.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Smaller grid/block sizes. The most obnoxious thing about stage builder stages was that adding a slope gave you one that altered the plain a size bigger than Bowser. It was impossible to make small stages with much diversity since the grid size lent itself to creating obnoxiously large stages.

Platform behavior would be a nice addition as well.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Haha I would actually love an option to draw you're stages. That would be loads of fun. Especially since both Smash Wii U and 3DS feature a touch screen. Keep the blocks and all that basic stuff for those who don't want to draw the stage or believe that it's too difficult for them, but have another option for the artists among us to actually draw our levels. That would instantly make it better than Brawls stage builder for me at least

Or another option. Let us be able to draw our backgrounds for our stages. And maybe be able to share them online for people to use in their stages? I think that might be easier to implement than the previous idea.

I don't know, either of those. But being able to utilize the touch screen artistically does appeal to me a lot at least. :)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The only thing drawing very specific stages will lead to is a thousand penises.
hm... Can't argue with that... Unless Nintendo applies their Miiverse policy thing and have their employees monitor every stage before it's submitted to the public to see...

I now already feel bad for them...

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Here. That is what needs to be done.

Also: people will make giant penises to play on anyway. They'll just be really blocky.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
The only thing drawing very specific stages will lead to is a thousand penises.
ROFL! There definitely are many MANY perverted people out there.

I really love the idea of using the Wii U controller as a canvas, but Nintendo wouldn't want millions of penises on their network. Drawn stages could be restricted to friends only. They could also add a "report inappropriate content" button.

Yes please!

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I just realized how infinitely easier it will be to design stages with the new gamepad. Now I won't have to painfully move the blocks around with a joystick. Heck even enabling the ability to use a Wii-motes motion control to move the blocks easier would have made the whole process of designing a stage less of a pain.

I would also like to see the ability to highlight multiple blocks at once, whether to delete or move more than one block at a time. Anyone else ever make a stage but want it just 1 block higher? So then you have to move each block up 1 space individually! It takes forever!

JPW

Smash Ace
OP has some good ideas.

I wouldn't mind some curvy platforms. I tried to make a Loop the Loop for a Sonic Stage, But in the end all i could do was Hexagon and that didn't quite work out.

Don't have a limit this time. Let us build as much as we want. If you can build a New Pork City why can't we build our own city?

Seeing as it's a Custom Stage Builder we should have our own Custom features too. Let us make our own backgrounds and let us put them into the game, let us also have our own Music to put in for the stage.

Also a chance to change the colour of certain objects. What about Green Platforms? Blue Platforms? Orange Platforms?

The ability to add stickers. I've always loved having stickers on thing. And i reckon it be awesome to have a stage made out of stickers. lol.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord

Also: people will make giant penises to play on anyway. They'll just be really blocky.
This would be totally awesome!

I've been waiting to see a stage builder thread. It had so much potential but even at its current state it was amazing on what you could do.

I really want items from other games like bullet bill cannons, Invisible blocks, Zelda tornados, NPC generators (They produce enemies that you would find in Adventure Mode).

JPW

Smash Ace

This reminds me of a smash kingdom clip.

Some fighters are on the pictochat stage and we see this Penis being drawn up. and Diddy's like:

"Aw. Come on Who does that! That's just stupid. Come on! What the hell!"

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If the stage builder does come back, then maybe the Wii U Game Pad could be utilized to set up your custom stage in some way.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I think the Wii-U game pad can be used for a lot of non-competiitive game play.

Stage Builder
Camera Mode
Boss battles (One with the game pad controls the boss while the other fight it)
Level Manipulation (Game Pad user manipulates a level like Pictochat while the others fight on it)

Also if you can draw objects and platforms for stage builder then those items should be available for DLC.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
The ability to adjust the camera and even make scrolling stages like Mushroomy Kingdom would be a great addition.

Also, perhaps the ability to duplicate the effect of stages like Define Plaza.

Finally, adjust boundaries and also setting spawn and respawn points.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
MY tl;dr ideas:
  1. Allow stage builder to do what Brawl stage hackers do (minus add textures and non-stage stuff).
  2. Allow for every (or nearly every) part of every stage to be used in stage builder.
  3. Allow those parts to be customized in various ways. For instance, take a simple cube. Have it to where optionally it can have a ledge you can grab on or not, whether you can "go through it" or not (whether just up, or up and down), etc.
  4. Allow us to use all (or nearly all) backgrounds in every stage.
  5. Allow us to use every song on the game, plus songs we import (hopefully the WiiU and 3DS smash will allow for "Custom Music" we can upload, like the PS3 and 360).
  6. Have customizable sizes and "squares." All the Stage Builder sizes were basically just different perfect cube sizes. What if we want big or sides and roofs=??? Stage Builder should allow us to build that.
  7. Allow us to create transforming, moving, and moving transforming stages.
  8. Have contests for this, have it to where we can download this stuff online for us to use (like with the Brawl replay and stages, except those stages don't disappear after you get a new download).
  9. Pretty much my first point sums up the rest of the points! :laugh:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
How's this for an Item?

NPC generator

Essentially its an item that can be set on ground that can be walk through. At certain rates it will spawn selected enemies from Adventure Mode. You can choose what kind or how many NPCs you want to come out. You could make a mock war stage or a Redead apocolypse.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
1. Adjustable Boundaries
2. Set Spawn Points (And Respawn Point)
3. Aesthetic Layer (Background Blocks)
4. Select Multiple Blocks

The 4th one is what I want the most. Whenever I made stages I would always want to move the entire stage up or down a couple of spaces. Being able to Click and Drag to highlight more than one object at a time, and then move or delete them simultaneously would make this a hell of alot easier.
Of course being able to adjust the boundaries to raise the bottom or shorten the width could work too.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Question to all. How would you like the stage builder elements to be sorted this time?
Grouped by backgrounds like in Brawl or all mixed up?

Also: Would you like the stage builder to have extra dowloadable elements periodically created after the game is realased? You might have to pay for them. Or they may even be stored inside other games.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Question to all. How would you like the stage builder elements to be sorted this time?
Grouped by backgrounds like in Brawl or all mixed up?
There could just be an option that allows u to switch between themed parts or types of parts.

Also: Would you like the stage builder to have extra dowloadable elements periodically created after the game is realased? You might have to pay for them. Or they may even be stored inside other games.
I wouldn't mind downloadable content at all, however I wouldn't want to pay for more stage builder parts.

By "stored inside other games" do u mean other video games? I actually like that idea. If u own a certain game, SSB4 would detect that on the hardrive & could download the themed content off the file or via WiFi. New Super Mario U, could have elements & features from that game alone allowing other Mario games to have unique content.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Not really a good idea to be dragging Kaizo Mario into the mix. Donkey Kong Country Returns's Mirror Mode is rough enough.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
There could just be an option that allows u to switch between themed parts or types of parts.
What I meant is: In brawl, besides having only three themes, you can't mix them up.
I think this time it would be a lot better if you could.
I already see you are agreeing with me.
Also: What about a candy themed series? There is one in Animal Crossing, one in sim City creator, why not in SSB4?

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
^
¦

Yes, many various themes would be great.

EDIT: Snow, sky, scary, ocean, robotic, etc.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Being limited to only "3" themes was pretty lackluster for Brawl. Hopefully we'll get a larger amount of stage builder themes for Smash 4.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
First I think that the themes can be mixed and matched rather than just using that one style I don't know about candy theme item but certainly need a food theme. With as many munching characters (Kirby, Yoshi, Wario, Bowser, and somewhat Snake) it would be cool to have a giant buffet stage to fight on.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
First I think that the themes can be mixed and matched rather than just using that one style I don't know about candy theme item but certainly need a food theme. With as many munching characters (Kirby, Yoshi, Wario, Bowser, and somewhat Snake) it would be cool to have a giant buffet stage to fight on.
And eventually Pacman. Yup! We might have both a fast food theme and a candy them.
I know what you are thinking: Why not a X theme then? And a Y theme? And a Z theme?
I can't help but think of James Pond II: Robocod, with all it's crazy themed stages.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNf3tC-L_48&feature=relmfu

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I like some unique theme items but I really want themes based on the other character worlds (Mario themed, Zelda Themed, pokemon, etc...). I like to make stages that represent certain areas or events in the games like certain Zelda dungeons or Mario worlds. Of course I want to mix and match these themes for different stages. Essentially with any creator you want as much freedom as possible.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
I really hope they'll do another Stage Builder for the next installment.
And if it'll be any good, I might tackle on a PC level editor like I did with Brawl.
That is, if there will happen to be any community around custom stages this time around.

Powerstars

Smash Apprentice
The ability to texture some blocks. SERIOUSLY. Custom backgrounds as well, being able to use image files you find online.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo's setting its sights on online with the Wii U. I'd love it if there was a big Stage Builder community where people could share custom textures, blocks, backgrounds, and stages, of course. Probably not custom music though, because of copyright and all that jazz.

Powerstars

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo's setting its sights on online with the Wii U. I'd love it if there was a big Stage Builder community where people could share custom textures, blocks, backgrounds, and stages, of course. Probably not custom music though, because of copyright and all that jazz.
This, this, and freaking this. If Nintendo releases songs for existing stages as DLC, the stage builder should be able to use them too.

Top Bottom