• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Builder: Ideas and Improvements

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
This is thread is all about the Stage Builder and what you want to see in Smash Ultimate. I think this feature is a lot of fun and has a lot more potential in expanding. I'll be adding ideas on this thread when I get a chance. Let hear what you want for this system.

Okay this is a strange idea I've had for awhile (since Brawl actually). What if they made the stage builder into its own game and you can transfer the stages into Smash and Online.

Pros
- Could provide better tools and items to work with.
- Saves space on the disk since you would only need the assets and layout.
- Spreads out the development process instead of trying to cram it into the main game development.

Cons
- Cost more money for the customer
- Interest might not be there to warrant special development

Last edited:

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
Does it save space on the disk since you could transfer stages to SD card? Since all the assets are there I don't think it would save any space.

As an idea, I don't see a reason to make it separate and especially have to pay for it. It has been a free feature for multiple games. Just make a server to upload stages similar to Mario maker.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Okay this is a strange idea I've had for awhile (since Brawl actually). What if they made the stage builder into its own game and you can transfer the stages into Smash and Online.

Pros
- Could provide better tools and items to work with.
- Saves space on the disk since you would only need the assets and layout.
- Spreads out the development process instead of trying to cram it into the main game development.

Cons
- Cost more money for the customer
- Interest might not be there to warrant special development
If Nintendo makes Smash Bros. Maker as its own official Smash MUGEN, that could work.

But the prospect is unlikely and the possibility that it can balance ease of creation (for the casual player) with variety to a degree that rivals MUGEN (for the hardcore programmer/designer) is untenable.

Khao

Smash Lord
This.... sounds kinda pointless to be honest. For one it'd be absolutely impossible to treat both projects separately if they need to be fully compatible with eachother. You can already "spread out" the development in a single project. The people working on the stage builder in Brawl were absolutely not the same people making character animations for one.

Disk space. It really wouldn't change anything. Assets for the stage builder and still pretty much its entire functionality would still need to be in the game in order to have the stage imported properly. At most you could delete the user interface. Besides, disk space has literally never been a problem in the Smash series. We're not gonna get more content if there's some extra space freed up.

Honestly I see nothing but cons to this whole thing. The only potential positive would be the ability to create stages without the need to own the game but... who the hell would want the Stage Builder if they don't want Smash? Why would anyone want to buy the Stage Builder and not Smash? Or get the Stage Builder first and Smash later? Even if the Stage Builder is cheaper (or even for free), if you don't have Smash, it's completely worthless. And for someone who already has Smash, it only makes the stage creation process needlessly more complicated.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Does it save space on the disk since you could transfer stages to SD card? Since all the assets are there I don't think it would save any space.

As an idea, I don't see a reason to make it separate and especially have to pay for it. It has been a free feature for multiple games. Just make a server to upload stages similar to Mario maker.
Its not the stages that you would be saving its the tools and interface that would save space.

This.... sounds kinda pointless to be honest. For one it'd be absolutely impossible to treat both projects separately if they need to be fully compatible with eachother. You can already "spread out" the development in a single project. The people working on the stage builder in Brawl were absolutely not the same people making character animations for one.

Disk space. It really wouldn't change anything. Assets for the stage builder and still pretty much its entire functionality would still need to be in the game in order to have the stage imported properly. At most you could delete the user interface. Besides, disk space has literally never been a problem in the Smash series. We're not gonna get more content if there's some extra space freed up.

Honestly I see nothing but cons to this whole thing. The only potential positive would be the ability to create stages without the need to own the game but... who the hell would want the Stage Builder if they don't want Smash? Why would anyone want to buy the Stage Builder and not Smash? Or get the Stage Builder first and Smash later? Even if the Stage Builder is cheaper (or even for free), if you don't have Smash, it's completely worthless. And for someone who already has Smash, it only makes the stage creation process needlessly more complicated.
The development would be spread out because the team working on the stage builder (which is a lot of the same stage programmers and artists by the way) wouldn't have to meet the same deadline. They could focus on perfecting the tools, interface, and providing a lot of cool assets to use instead of a rushed second thought minigame.

During Brawl where stage builder first appeared the system was very clunky at best. Fans made a modded stage builder which you could play on your computer. It cut out a lot of the limitations and unused assests that the builder had. Smash 4's stage builder though a massive improvement still was rather limiting on the items you could have. I feel like if they were able to focus on it a little bit more then they could make something really cool to use. People who enjoy creating games like Mario Maker could really make some amazing stages to play. If it works as well as I hope then we would have nearly unlimited stages to play on.

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
I would rather they just make a better stage creator, but i could see it as DLC. I just want a few small things to make it have a lot of versatility: Layers (ok with a max of three; foreground, background, and actual playing ground), the ability to make your own objects (like a stamp tool), and the ability to manipulate those objects (copy/expand/shrink/rotate/flip etc.).

While in the end i preferred 4's creator to brawl's, I still hated having to attempt to recreate every duplicate object only to have them not have the same properties. That made creating stages much more of a hassle, even with the benefit of having better shaping tools.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
When I pay something I like to have all in one. It's like you have to pay every part of your hamburger separately, it's a very bad idea in my opinion. Also, you wouldn't be able to test right-away your level to make sure everything is right. So it's kind of pointless. Though I could agree that a PC Stage builder would make things lot easier and better (and it would meant a Import/Export feature as in Brawl). An additional PC stage builder could be nice, but as a separate game it would be worthless.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Okay so I've broaden the post to ideas and improvements for stage builder. What features, assets, and tools do you want to have in Stage Builder.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I would rather they just make a better stage creator, but i could see it as DLC. I just want a few small things to make it have a lot of versatility: Layers (ok with a max of three; foreground, background, and actual playing ground), the ability to make your own objects (like a stamp tool), and the ability to manipulate those objects (copy/expand/shrink/rotate/flip etc.).

While in the end i preferred 4's creator to brawl's, I still hated having to attempt to recreate every duplicate object only to have them not have the same properties. That made creating stages much more of a hassle, even with the benefit of having better shaping tools.
Stamp tool sounds like it could be cool.
Like imagine there were a number of graphic icons/images based on various franchises (or simply universal symbols, such as warning signs, hands doing things like pointing or giving a thumbs up, various simple smilies, etc) that you could stamp as a texture on top of the stage you made.
Entirely for the purpose of giving your creation a bit of aesthetic charm. It'd be neat.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

I would love this so much. Sometimes it can be tricky to get intended identical assets to be just right. I'm a little leery on foreground elements, I imagine it could be abused to make stages where you can't see anything. Multiple background layers would be nice though.

Honestly, I just want the feature to return in some form. It would be nice to include more interactive elements like Brawl did, but I'll still be happy if they just port over the Smash 4 builder and call it a day.

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking of like mario paint's custom stamp icon, but like for 5 or six objects that you could easily place. For the foreground layer, i was thinking that anything mario sized or larger would become translucent or transparent when a character entered behind it (thinking total mass size). it might be fun for casual play to make a great fox stage where you could actually enter the ship for example.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I was thinking of like mario paint's custom stamp icon, but like for 5 or six objects that you could easily place. For the foreground layer, i was thinking that anything mario sized or larger would become translucent or transparent when a character entered behind it (thinking total mass size). it might be fun for casual play to make a great fox stage where you could actually enter the ship for example.
That sounds much better. Given how many "troll" stages were made and shared in Smash 4, I wouldn't trust the internet to not make obstructed stages.

I do love the custom stamp idea. That would be extremely useful for symmetrical designs.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I prefer Brawl's style over the Wii U version's. I didn't really like drawing the stages. So, make it like Brawl's, but with more objects, decorations, themes, etc. Ideally it would have at least one theme for each series with a fighter, but that might be too much. Water and lava would be cool, too.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Okay so I've broaden the post to ideas and improvements for stage builder. What features, assets, and tools do you want to have in Stage Builder.
1) Since Brawl, the thing I want the most in stage-builder would be that when you create a stage, you have an option to have the chosen in-game track playing in the background when you create the stage. Having the same track over and over is annoying.

2) I'd like a Brawl-like block option to create stage because sometimes it's painful to create platform that suddenly transform into a weird thing so you have to delete and retry. Or a improvement of Sm4sh's system so it would be easier. Also, it would be nice to make a real grid that just work unlike Sm4sh gamepad's grid.

3) When you draw to forms that collide, it could give you an option to fusion those two into one, for aesthetics purposes. And it could prevent the glitch where your character is dragged inside the platforms and get stuck between them.

4)
MORE BACKGROUNDS AND IF WE COULD IMPORT OUR OWN IT COULD BE AWESOME !

5) A option to create point where a character can grab the side of a platform. How many goddamn time did I just spend re-drawing a platform so it gives me the option ?

6) As the Brawl PC stage builder : Decide where players spawn.

7) More objects like in Brawl and it could take few scripted-elements from actual stage to improve the players experience.

8) Having the possibility to expand/reduce the size of the stage while creating it (the same way you crop a picture in Photoshop).

9) Lightning options & particles so stage doesn't looks terrible in comparison to real ones.

I could go on forever . . .

Electric-Gecko

Smash Cadet
In addition to a "Stage Builder", I would like to see a "Stage Customizer". This would be a way to customize the functionality of the official stages. It's basically an extension of "hazard toggle", but with detailed settings that can be saved as presets.

The Stage Customizer would provide settings to adjust the speed of scrolling/transforming stages, disable specific transformations, disable or nerf specific stage hazards, and settings for destructible elements. Examples of stages that can be made with the Customizer include:
  • Skyworld with an indestructable lower platform and pre-broken lower platforms
  • Bridge of Eldin with a weaker bomb dropped by King Bulblin. The bomb has reduced knockback, and does not collapse the bridge.
  • Mushroomy Kingdom with slower scroll speed & different start location.
  • Wily Castle without the Yellow Devil enemy. May be set to either the 3DS or Wii U version of the platforms.
  • Castle Siege without transformation; fixed to the castle roof phase.

As for the Stage Builder, I just think it should be good for making simple stages with fine-tuned dimensions. If you can't replicate Battlefield, then it's too restrictive. Fine-tuning the shape of the stage should take priority over gimmicky features/hazards. I haven't tried it in Smash 4 Wii U, though it looks better than what was in Brawl. But in Smash Ultimate, you should be able to make flat platforms of custom width without the touch screen.

While stage functionality is more important, it would be nice to have background environments from different franchises as options in the stage builder.

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
1) Since Brawl, the thing I want the most in stage-builder would be that when you create a stage, you have an option to have the chosen in-game track playing in the background when you create the stage. Having the same track over and over is annoying.

2) I'd like a Brawl-like block option to create stage because sometimes it's painful to create platform that suddenly transform into a weird thing so you have to delete and retry. Or a improvement of Sm4sh's system so it would be easier. Also, it would be nice to make a real grid that just work unlike Sm4sh gamepad's grid.

3) When you draw to forms that collide, it could give you an option to fusion those two into one, for aesthetics purposes. And it could prevent the glitch where your character is dragged inside the platforms and get stuck between them.

4) MORE BACKGROUNDS AND IF WE COULD IMPORT OUR OWN IT COULD BE AWESOME !

5) A option to create point where a character can grab the side of a platform. How many goddamn time did I just spend re-drawing a platform so it gives me the option ?

6) As the Brawl PC stage builder : Decide where players spawn.

7) More objects like in Brawl and it could take few scripted-elements from actual stage to improve the players experience.

8) Having the possibility to expand/reduce the size of the stage while creating it (the same way you crop a picture in Photoshop).

9) Lightning options & particles so stage doesn't looks terrible in comparison to real ones.

I could go on forever . . .
I love all these points. My only concern would be the import of your own background. Since we will be sharing these stages online (another thing they need fixing) you know someone is going to make a stage with inappropriate material as the background. Now this can be solved with moderators like they did with Miiverse but I'm not sure if Nintendo wants to go through the hassle.

Regardless it would be amazing if you could do it. I would get screenshots from various games and put them on there like Urban Champion, Zelda, Captain Rainbow, etc...

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
The custom backgrounds wouldn't be allowed when you upload them to prevent inappropriate materials (Your stage will be uploaded but the online-version will have a vanilla-background). Though I would prefer a 'Mature/Adult" tag but I know that Nintendo will never do that sadly.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I would love this so much. Sometimes it can be tricky to get intended identical assets to be just right. I'm a little leery on foreground elements, I imagine it could be abused to make stages where you can't see anything. Multiple background layers would be nice though.
I dont think that breaking and ****ing up visibility on purpose should be considered a problem. If your goal is to make unplayable pieces of dung, you are still totally able to do it on the current editors.

I think that my more desired feature of the editor is the posibility of giving some depth to the stages, so they dont look all the time so flat.

An hibrid system where you can place brawl's block and sm4sh's organic shapes and mix them would do wonders in being able to make the stages more interesting, and overall more ease to use tools for the drawing shapes tool would be very welcomed.

Various decoration blocks that could be placed on the gameplay layer or in other layers would also help a lot at the time of breathing some life into stages withouth having to do a pact with the electronic devils. Extra points if this decoration blocks are "series themed" such as mario pipes, or Midgard pipes, even if they are mostly recicled from othe rstages assets.

Being able to have more control of the lights and maybe a couple of simpel atmosferics effects (like a simple fog) would also be heck cool

Gameplay wise, being able to do 8 player smash stages, and being able to place the spawning points would be VERY welcomed, and yes, the spawn point could be abused... but then again, you already can make unplayable stages ._.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
Yea I think custom backgrounds would be fine if it was a generic background online unless you were playing with friends. But I'd rather have the option for more dynamic backgrounds (think the target test/trophy tussle stages from Melee), and given how they seem to be putting more emphasis on that sort of thing in this game, it just might happen. I like the idea of adding foreground/background elements, makes more sense than just one uniform strip of land in the middle of nowhere (not to say this doesn't already happen with official stages).

They definitely should bring back some features from Brawl's editor. I prefer the blocky grid interface it had, and would love to be able to fine tune some details with sm4sh's touch screen editor. I miss the rotating windmill platforms from Brawl too, though a lot of the other unique structures were really hit-or-miss.

Being able to draw a path for moving platforms would be a godsend. Spawn points should also be a thing, that was one of my favorite things from the PC editor.

There should be a type of lava/spikes that work like the Great Cave Offensive, KOing fighters over 100%. It's strange they introduced lava in the same game as Great Cave and didn't give this option. I think GCO had a lot of good ideas, and doesn't deserve a lot of the hate it gets. Being able to make "indoor" maps this way would be really fun, and would allow to make more intricate stages without having stocks last forever.

The thing I want most out of Stage Builder is simply to have it apply for another mode: Target Test. Brawl's method of having uniform stages for everyone was pretty lackluster honestly, since the stages never really challenged any character to their full potential. You can't make a target test work for Little Mac and still be a challenge for Pac-man or Villager. Sure, you could have watered down stages that work for the full cast, but there should be an option for custom tests made for specific characters. I wouldn't be surprised if they went the 64/Melee route and actually made a target test for each character, but I wouldn't expect them to after not doing so in the past two games. The process could work similar to Stage Builder, except you select a character in addition to background and song. I say that since the stage would have to actually be possible to complete, and simply making the stage available to all characters wouldn't work unless someone went through the trouble of testing every single character. That's not to say someone could upload the stage, and whoever downloads it could open it up in Stage Builder and change the character. Again, this would give more use to making intricate stages and hazards that are normally too disruptive for vs matches.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Ridley will be a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate !
I don't think that we can make statement of what can or cannot be on the new game of this series. This game is in development for few years and it looks like they taken a lot of things from Sm4sh. I think that they have a lot of time to work on things they didn't have the time to in the previous ones. They lacked of time with Super Smash Bros. Brawl (release delayed 2 times..) and Sm4sh was released in two different versions so I guess they had a lot of works because of that.

It feels like they have the possibilities to makes things right with SSBU, so maybe they will bring back specific break the targets stage for every characters. Though I doubt it when I see the roster but they could make several versions of every difficulties and the character will get to play on a specific version depending of his mobility.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I dont think that breaking and ****ing up visibility on purpose should be considered a problem. If your goal is to make unplayable pieces of dung, you are still totally able to do it on the current editors.

I think that my more desired feature of the editor is the posibility of giving some depth to the stages, so they dont look all the time so flat.

An hibrid system where you can place brawl's block and sm4sh's organic shapes and mix them would do wonders in being able to make the stages more interesting, and overall more ease to use tools for the drawing shapes tool would be very welcomed.

Various decoration blocks that could be placed on the gameplay layer or in other layers would also help a lot at the time of breathing some life into stages withouth having to do a pact with the electronic devils. Extra points if this decoration blocks are "series themed" such as mario pipes, or Midgard pipes, even if they are mostly recicled from othe rstages assets.

Being able to have more control of the lights and maybe a couple of simpel atmosferics effects (like a simple fog) would also be heck cool

Gameplay wise, being able to do 8 player smash stages, and being able to place the spawning points would be VERY welcomed, and yes, the spawn point could be abused... but then again, you already can make unplayable stages ._.
You're right, there are some pretty trash stages made with the current systems.

I do like your ideas. After a while, custom stages do have a samey feeling, so being able set the mood with lighting or mix-and-match decorative elements would keep things fresh.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
-More Assets/Environments. One of stage builders biggest weaknesses has always been the lack of fun stuff to mess around with, which causes severe limitations when it comes to custom stages.
-More Music Per Stage. My least favorite part of custom stages is the way that only one track can be selected. It would be better if they allowed 3-5 songs per custom stage.
-More Technical Options. It would be great if you could select between day or night, add custom spawnpoints, etc.

nuks

Smash Rookie
Increase the weight limit or remove it.
Make colors pick able on all backgrounds/ more colors.
More place able items and the ability to place outside camera boxes.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
My Stage Builder Wishlist. Bold are the absolute must-haves. Underlined is top priority, but not before the bolded stuff:
  • That we get one
  • That it lets me save to external storage device seperate from the game data itself
  • That it lets me send replays of matches recorded on custom stages be uploaded to Youtube
  • Custom Environments, in which we select one of the default skyboxes (or use an image file of our own) and select from up to 3-5 terrains in that environment. Failing this, at least bring back both Brawl's and Smash 4's environments and introduce maybe one or two new ones (jungle, desert, ice, and underwater environments being my wishlist). If I have to choose between either Smash 4 or Brawl, though, gimme Smash 4's; the environments in Brawl have aged like milk, assuming they were ever passable to begin with.
  • Keep all the stuff that Smash 4 had (cannons, magma, moving platforms, springs), but bring back the stuff from Brawl that it removed (ice, falling platforms, spikes, conveyer belts, ladders, that stupid*** spinny wheel that I really shouldn't like but do anyway). Let my characters bounce back and forth between Magma and Spikes, darn you!
  • Setting the Spawn Points. Why yes, game, I would like to have the Boss Fight start with the boss spawning on the poorly-drawn throne
  • Increase the weight limit or remove it.
  • Ability to build water-based (similar to Delfino Plaza, Pirate Ship and Tortimer Island) and/or underwater stages k thx
  • Ability to add cute little cosmetic effects (Switch between Day/Night, Rain, Snowfall, Fog, Foliage, etc).
  • Ability to have multiple songs per stage.
  • Recycled elements from the real stages.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
-More Assets/Environments. One of stage builders biggest weaknesses has always been the lack of fun stuff to mess around with, which causes severe limitations when it comes to custom stages.
-More Music Per Stage. My least favorite part of custom stages is the way that only one track can be selected. It would be better if they allowed 3-5 songs per custom stage.
-More Technical Options. It would be great if you could select between day or night, add custom spawnpoints, etc.
Increase the weight limit or remove it.
Make colors pick able on all backgrounds/ more colors.
More place able items and the ability to place outside camera boxes.
My Stage Builder Wishlist. Bold are the absolute must-haves. Underlined is top priority, but not before the bolded stuff:
  • That we get one
  • That it lets me save to external storage device seperate from the game data itself
  • That it lets me send replays of matches recorded on custom stages be uploaded to Youtube
  • Custom Environments, in which we select one of the default skyboxes (or use an image file of our own) and select from up to 3-5 terrains in that environment. Failing this, at least bring back both Brawl's and Smash 4's environments and introduce maybe one or two new ones (jungle, desert, ice, and underwater environments being my wishlist). If I have to choose between either Smash 4 or Brawl, though gimme Smash 4; the environments in Brawl are have aged like milk, assuming they were ever passable to begin with.
  • Keep all the stuff that Smash 4 had (cannons, magma, moving platforms, springs), but bring back the stuff from Brawl that it removed (ice, falling platforms, spikes, conveyer belts, ladders, that stupid*** spinny wheel that I really shouldn't like but do anyway). Let my characters bounce back and forth between Magma and Spikes, darn you!
  • Setting the Spawn Points. Why yes, game, I would like to have the Boss Fight start with the boss spawning on the poorly-drawn throne
  • Increase the weight limit or remove it.
  • Ability to build water-based (similar to Delfino Plaza, Pirate Ship and Tortimer Island) and/or underwater stages k thx
  • Ability to add cute little cosmetic effects (Switch between Day/Night, Rain, Snowfall, Fog, Foliage, etc).
  • Ability to have multiple songs per stage.
  • Recycled elements from the real stages.
I agree with all of the above. The Stage Builder was also mentioned in the desired modes thread, and there's a couple posts I'd like to quote from that.

I would love to see a truly enhanced stage builder. There's a ton of stuff I am hoping to see out of this.

This would be my dream stage builder. It goes into a lot of detail.
Platforms can be drawn, and they can change style much like in Smash 4. One of those styles for all background types is ice, and it's functional. The grid would be enabled, and you can use controllers to more accurately create your shape instead of having to rely on a touch pad.

Various hazards such as conveyor belt, ladders, springs, cannons, spikes, lava, drop blocks, and moving platforms all return with new stage builder features to enhance creation capabilities for advanced stage creators like myself. Conveyor belts can have their speed configured. Springs and cannons can have their strength configured, and lines are shown to show how far fighters will travel and where they will stop. The delay on drop boxes falling from when someone steps on one can be extended or reduced. Moving platforms can now be styled and sized freely. People can also create destinations the platform travels to between the start and end, make the path loop in circles instead of backtracking at an end point, configure the speed at which it travels between said destinations, and even stop it at certain locations for set amounts or random amounts of time.

Builders can also create spawn points, and set which ones are enabled based on the quantity of players fighting.
All of this, plus I would want an option to make spikes or lava act like a Danger Zone, KO'ing fighters with 100% or more damage. I would also like if moving platforms could spend some time outside of the blast line (so that they could carry fighters spending all of their time on said platforms to their doom) and if they could have varying terrain (so that they could be non-pass-through, have grabbable ledges, be hazardous to touch (on part or all of its surface), or even potentially crush fighters like in the SSE). I'd also like to be able to make chunks of terrain destructible (perhaps with options to modify what can destroy it (fighter attacks, some other stage element (like King Bulblin's bombs or the bombs on Wrecking Crew), or the passage of time), how much HP it has (if it can be destroyed by fighter attacks), what happens upon its destruction (does it just disappear, does it explode and harm nearby fighters, does it cause nearby terrain to temporarily move etc.), how long it takes to regenerate after being destroyed, how much warning fighters get when it's about to regenerate, and what happens to fighters in the way of the regeneration (does nothing happen to them and they delay the regeneration until they leave, do they get pushed out without any harm done, do they get damaged and launched out, or do they get crushed and auto-KO'd)). Obviously, I'm not expecting it to be quite this in-depth, but I'm certainly hoping for it to be more in-depth and easier to use than the past Stage Builders!

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
It'd be pretty awesome to be able to import custom stages from Brawl and Sm4sh.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I preferred Brawl's Stage Builder. What I hated about it was the lack of freedom like how I couldn't stick mushrooms next to a tree, or that I couldn't make the windmill like item go through platforms to possibly lift people upward or bring them downward. Someone made a Brawl Stage Builder for the computer, and you were able to upload those stages into Brawl and actually not worry about limitations. I understand that people would rather not play on a cluttered stage, but freedom allows for more possibilities.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
What if it was a separate program? You could upload stages to the Smash Ultimate website and download them with a stage code on your Switch. This gives the stage builder more freedom and way more technical options such as the ones I mentioned in my post from the previous thread.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
What if it was a separate program? You could upload stages to the Smash Ultimate website and download them with a stage code on your Switch. This gives the stage builder more freedom and way more technical options such as the ones I mentioned in my post from the previous thread.
I would like to be able to design stages in-game, though.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
So is it really confirmed that Stage Builder was cut from Ultimate?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Since we're (probably) getting the stage builder in the 3.0 update, here are the changes I would like to see:
  • The ability to use backgrounds from pre-existing stages.
  • Tilesets from pre-existing stages.
  • A huge or preferably non-existent weight limit.
  • Stage elements from pre-existing stages (Guts Lifts, Birdo, etc)
  • The ability to draw in handheld mode and place blocks in TV mode.
  • The ability to set blast zone size by either dragging around the blast zones, or placing in a numeric value.
  • The ability to set spawn points for players. The more spawn points that are placed, the more players are allowed on the stage.
  • The ability to set an alternate track or tracklist for each stage.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Brawl's stage builder had sufficient pieces and precision, but... actually Brawl's was pretty much spot on for me.

Smash 4's added the novelty gimmick feature of being able to draw stages, but took away a ton of fun and useful pieces.

I would be happy just getting Brawl's stage builder again, to be honest, but the addition of drawable terrain would be nice. Preferably with snapping and copy/pasting. It was such a chore to make things look nice or fix mistakes in the Smash 4 editor. Also: If you're going to have two types of lava, make one of them a killzone like on Great Cave Offensive. Seriously, what was the point of having two different widths of lava fill?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
While it'd be quite the undertaking, seeing as they already merged All-Star with Multi-Man Smash, what if in addition to regular stages we could also make our own Target Test stages? An idea I've seen thrown around before, this would eliminate the trouble in having to design unique courses for the massive roster, even allowing for aesthetic relation to the fighter like in Melee depending on how in-depth the builder turns out to be. Maybe they could even do this for other minigames like Race to the finish, Board the Platforms and Ultimate's Classic minigame. If Home-Run Contest were to come back too with this we'd be pretty good on classic Smash modes that didn't return for Ultimate.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I see everyone saying we're getting stage builder back due to the 3.0 update, but is there any real evidence on that? I'm not against it and I had fun messing with the builder.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I see everyone saying we're getting stage builder back due to the 3.0 update, but is there any real evidence on that? I'm not against it and I had fun messing with the builder.
It was pure speculation up untill a few days ago in which dataminers found files titled Stage Builder and Home Run Contest. These indicate either cut content or content that is soon to be. It's probably the latter.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
It was pure speculation up untill a few days ago in which dataminers found files titled Stage Builder and Home Run Contest. These indicate either cut content or content that is soon to be. It's probably the latter.
Dataminers finding content about these modes can't be disputed, but just because that's the case doesn't mean its defiantly coming back. Saying "it's probably the latter" is pure speculation with no evidence to support it. For all we know, that could have been there even before the game was being pirated online before its official release. There's no way to tell right now, and anyone claiming they know with 100% certainty is lying.

Last edited:
Top Bottom