• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Builder Hacking?

CyberSpark

Smash Rookie
There's a full article on Wiinode.com about hacking the Stage Builder, there's even someone that's trying to make a modified version for the PC, I'm not sure how that will turn out or if it will. Here's the link to the article: SSBB Stage Builder Hack

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
CyberSpark, that link is useless. I got nothing out of it other than 20 minutes of my life down the drain.

Basically the only thing I got from that is that other people are working on the same project, AND THEY'RE BASING IT OFF OF WHAT THEY'RE FINDING HERE!!!!!

in other words, keep going guys. You're doing a great job.
Side note, from one of the many links posted on wiinode from the link above, freeloaders will stop working whenever ninty decides, switching an ISO or whatever. It wasn't anything relevant to this thread, so I decided to delete it, I found it from cyber's link anyways.

related to the project, I guess there's a key you guys need to get or something?

CyberSpark

Smash Rookie
Sorry, didn't mean to post useless information; guess I should look into things more thoroughly before posting it. :embarrass

NoobCake

Smash Apprentice
Though it's been said a few times, seems to me like a big advantage of hacking it would be custom textures! I mean, the same backgrounds over and over really makes it bland, and backgrounds that would actually reflect the series or concepts that people had in mind would really bring life to the stage.

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
Check the stage format at heinermann.kakkoister.com for an idea of what can be done.

Modified textures are out of the picture.

The only advantages seemingly available are:
+Placing blocks outside of stage bounds
+Using the debug block and possibly glitchy blocks
+Stacking blocks
+Ignore block boundries
+Place screwed up sizes of blocks
+Using BGM and SFX that are otherwise unavailable (you could have one of the snake codecs as BGM)
+Creating custom stage previews
+Using characters in stage names that are otherwise unavailable (colour codes)
+Potentially exploit the format to run custom code (unlikely, but it may be possible)
+Saving downloaded stages by copying the stage content from a replay file

Nintendogs

Smash Journeyman
I've been trying to hack the music that is played on a custom stage and have somewhat succeded. Good News: I can load the stage without error and hear the music. Bad News: The game is almost garanteed to crash somewhere in the match and the stage is extremely glitchy, making it almost impossible to play competitively.

sg_06

Smash Rookie
My knowledge with checksums is limited, but I think that only certain bytes are actually checked. It would hypothetically be possible to edit around those bytes and still pass the checksum...
That, and there are some numbers that would pass if changed properly, depending on the algorithm...

but again, I'm not familiar with checksums...

Ørion

Smash Ace
Depending on the way that the custom stages are stored, we might get a lot less functionality from them than we would like. Many people are imagining completely knew types of stages with events etc., but this might be impossible. Unless the stage builder stages are the same thing as the 41 normal stages, we wouldn't be able to do this.. It's very possible that the whole file is a few arrays with a few different options, in which case we wouldn't get much additional functionality out of a PC version except a couple rule changes I guess.

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
I posted a list of seemingly available advantages. There aren't any other advantages, unless I'm completely blind. We already know the stage format and what to do with it.

Crow!

Smash Lord
The main thing I'd be looking forward to with a hacked stage editor would be the possibility of using otherwise unavailable parts - looking at the Target Test stages, I suspect the custom stage engine has a lot of parts and capabilities that Nintendo isn't revealing. Just because tiles 0-15 only reveal a few good tiles doesn't mean more tiles don't exist at higher numbers - unless you know something about Brawl's CD that I don't (which is fairly likely).

Out of curiosity, does stage info exist in the replay of Target Smash stages?

Umpadumpalump

Smash Apprentice
Funny, I was just thinking about this an hour ago. Anyway, they should have something out for this, I know they have something like this for miis, cause I saw it in Best Buy so it shouldn't be too hard to make one for custom stages.

rklamer

Smash Cadet
Unless you can hack the disc itself, the textures won't be replaceable at all. They're hard-stored into the DVD... they can't be changed unless you mod the disc itself.

Now, the placement of said pieces/restrictions/etc? That should be hackable, someday...

Revolce

Smash Cadet
the reason i wanna flip things upsidedown is so I can create ledges like smashville's and battlefield's.

Iggyhopper

Smash Rookie
Better yet, someone could make a PC version of the stage editor that would be faster and more flexible and would output to the same format as the brawl custom stages.
That's highly possible, but we would have to know the file structure, and it seems like someone is already making progress here.

Good thing I'm a programmer :)

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
You can really tell the stage editor was a last second throw-in, because it is so completely barebones. Look at the map edit for Starcraft, which came out 10 years ago. It is leagues and leagues ahead of Brawl's. I wasn't expecting anything that complicated, but a bit more than 3 backgrounds and 3 blocksets, with almost every thing not having grabbable ledges (why the hell aren't slanted ledges grabbable), plus the forceing of snapping to grid really limits recreating classic stages like Saffron City for example.

Karptroopa

Smash Apprentice
I really was disappointed with the level editor when I finally got Brawl. So it's pretty nice to hear someone is also thinking something up. (Though I still doubt most of the things some of us planned to make will be possible, even then.)

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Heck... if you knew.

My friends SEND me hacked stages. I send THEM hacked stages.

They have Wi-fi codes on BASIC BRAWL to play on Custom Stages. It happened to me and we played on a stage that spelled a vulgar term! I couldn't control it.

But yes, it's been done.

zacharia zako

Smash Journeyman
By the way. Check this out. This guy's awesome.
http://z11.invisionfree.com/The_Odd_Man_Out/
wow thats impressive. On estimate how long would this take to work? and would it be possible to modify one of the already made 41 stages? Maybe add some platforms on final destination and shove the new stage in the "hard coer gamers'" faces. WHY COUDN"T NINTENDO MAKE STAGE BUILDER LIKE THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE????

If people look into this more the results would be amazing.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
All I want is to make my stages look like they were from the Subspace Emissary. You know, the trippy backgrounds and the awesome looking platforms. Just the thought of a stage like that is awesome, with the passable-from-below main platform.

Too bad it's impossible. Or is it?

Top Bottom