• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Analysis & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Please listen to what you're saying. There is a VERY easy way of showing that timeouts are a valid strategy.

Look at the official ruleset for every tournament allowed since the beginning of time. Every match has a time limit of 8 minutes. At the end of this 8 minutes, what happens? The person with the life lead wins. This is winning by timeout. It's valid because there's a rule that allows it. This won't change if the time limit is 8 minutes or 5 minutes or 1 minute or 20 minutes.

Removing the time limit is a big no-no, which everyone including me has brought up and agreed with. Here's the contradiction again:

1) Stages are being labeled as broken and uncompetitive for having aspects that allow people to win a match to the full time limit with a percentage lead.

2) The rules declare that you win if you can bring a match to the full time limit with a percentage lead.

You can see examples of 1) all throughout this thread, everywhere on the internet for the past 12 years, and in the thread links in Nuttre's post. 2) is listed in literally every tournament ruleset for the past 12 years. Is everyone not reading and understanding the rules? Players are calling for bans without considering the rules they play under? TOs are making decisions without considering the own rules they make?

It would only make sense to blame the players or stages if you willingly ignore #2. Challenging me or trying to convince me to hate camping isn't going to clear up this contradiction in the rules. Everyone's been tripping over themselves trying to explain it.
Okay. We'll set aside Wrecking Crew, since, you're right. I haven't done my homework on it. Also, Mario killing Charizard with up-smash isn't really... a great... comparison. >.>

You didn't address the rest of my post concerning time limits. It is completely a valid strategy, something everyone should agree on, because it is in the rules. However, what it is not is an easily executable strategy for an entire match (which is what I'm assuming ParanoidDrone was trying to say). With less time left, timing your opponent out becomes more and more attractive as a strategy. Decreasing the time limit increases the attractiveness of timing out as a strategy. Therefore, this either increases the amount of time per match, or makes timing out an equal/greater strategy than going for KO's.

There are 2 win conditions, as we all know. You win by time or you win by KO. More people would rather see a win by KO than win by time. If it were the opposite, we would just be playing timed matches.

This brings us back to why over-emphasizing camping with stages is discouraged. If a stage makes timing out a more attractive option than win by KO, that goes against the intent of the ruleset of stocks, which is the majority of competitive play.

Can we drop this topic now and get back to stages?

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
@ HavocThunder HavocThunder please acknowledge this post:

Reducing the time limit of matches makes runaway/campy/defensive/timeout play the unquestioned best option. We know that on our legal stage list in previous games it is not the best option as at high level play it does not dominate the metagame. With an 8 minute timer, we see aggressive play being the dominant force forcing timeout play to be a valid but less used option. It is viable on a somewhat limited number of stages and will be employed on an even smaller number of stages, however it is still a valid strategy.

If the timer was reduced to 4 minutes (assuming 3 stocks) this forces the campy, runaway style of play in one of two ways. It makes running the clock down far easier, as it's less of a difficulty to avoid getting hit for 4 minutes than 8 minutes thus encouraging people who have considered runaway play to try it out in a situation where they are far less likely to get punished for it (as the opponent simply has half as much time to catch up to them) and makes it a more dominant strategy.

The second way this running-the-clock style of play will be used is by aggressive players. If the average time for a match is 3 minutes and has an 8 minute timer, the players will likely play their standard aggressive playstyle, whether they have a lead or not. If the timer was for some reason reduced to 4 minutes, if either player gets the lead it's in their best interest to stall out the match as the choice becomes "camp out for 10/20/30/90/540/whatever seconds or try to take another stock(s)?". Trying to run the clock arguably has less risk associated with it the less time remaining in a match, so the shorter the time limit the more frequently we will see high level matches become a game of keepaway as soon as one player takes a lead.
Nobody wants to shorten the time limit but you, and your whole "Everyone agrees with me, it's just a big misunderstanding" mindset is terrible.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
...What? This stage list is incredibly conservative AND they include Yoshi's island? I mean, I didn't test it so it could have untapped potential, but it before Wuhu island, kongo jungle, Windy hill, and duck hunt?
They Swapped Yoshi for Duck Hunt at the last minute.

According to the TO, that is Apex's new list.

At least the whole thing was better than KTar, but that really isn't saying much at all. At least we only finished around 2 hours late.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Can't say I'm terribly surprised, save for the Kongo Jungle ban, and the way I've heard commentators talk during streams I would not be shocked to see that list grow smaller as time goes by and people get sick of Duck Hunt's dog interrupting their combos or Halberd's hazards screwing up an advantage. Call me pessimistic but if that's what's going to Apex it's probably going to be quite difficult to convince people to try anything else.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Did anyone who made the stage testing tournament want to give their thought? I only caught the tail end of it where people talked about liking Mushroom Kingdom U and hated Port Town Aero Dive.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
They Swapped Yoshi for Duck Hunt at the last minute.

According to the TO, that is Apex's new list.

At least the whole thing was better than KTar, but that really isn't saying much at all. At least we only finished around 2 hours late.
What the heck? Yoshi's Island legal at Apex? Pipes from melee? What? I seriously am confused :(

ANYWAYS
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2pzewr/wii_u_stage_legality_poll_2_electric_boogaloo/

It includes a new stage legality poll just focusing on the currently legal stagelist as well as the stages we tested. Be sure to check it out.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Did anyone who made the stage testing tournament want to give their thought? I only caught the tail end of it where people talked about liking Mushroom Kingdom U and hated Port Town Aero Dive.
I was in yesterday's tourney. I got to play all stages but norfair and Ptad at least once.
My thoughts:
Wegees Mansion: The stage didnt really interfere that much. The small platforms on the sides actually saved me from being punished when I was recovering as fox. There werent really any cave of life issues for the most part, bar one of my opponents who didn't know how to tech and was bouncing around for days.

Mario Circuit: No problems here, bar the part with the cieling being annoying.

Wii Fit: My favorite stage of the tourney. For a walk off, its not so bad. I always went lucario for the 4 times I went their, and I did camp somewhat alot, but my opponent usually found ways to approach me. Mirrors are helpful for seeing off screen.

Windy Hill Zone: I had one match here, and I felt bad as my opponent lost 2 stocks through sds. (Onve springs, once because of yoshi eggroll side b just plummettinf off edge. Not sure if the second one was his mistake or the stage) I like that the blast zones are low, but the stage feels quite big, and the curves mess with some characters projectiles (my fox lasers, his eggs). Personally I think it should be a doubles counter pick, but not a legal singles stage

Mushroom Kingdom U: second favorite stage in tourney. Not too big, I was able to mash out of nabbit every time (my opponent didnt, maybe they didnt know its possible). My only problem is the foretress transformation. It would often mess with my marths or my opponents falcons re overy, costing us stocks at low percents. Should probably be a counterpick.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Sure. I'm waiting for the Reddit topic to go up too (@ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill I summon thee!) but I can get my thoughts sorted here.

In no particular order:

Port Town Aero Dive: The only stage in the list I'd absolutely 100% support banning. The main platform has no grabbable ledges whatsoever (I was hoping they'd fix that now that Rainbow Road and Mario Circuit bucked the trend) and as it rounds the first major bend in the track a wall butts in on the left side that can hit players standing on the platform. Est no bueno. Furthermore, the F-Zero machines (I refuse to call them "cars" because they're not) arrive with no explicit warning and do abnormally high damage and knockback compared to the Shy Guys on Mario Circuit. If you want to see them coming you need to be paying close attention to the background, not always possible depending on what's going on at the time. Every time I had a match here, someone died to the racers. It was also the only stage in the list I didn't have a research topic on, FWIW. Unlike Mute City in 3DS, Luma is hurt by the track here.

Wii Fit Studio: I liked it, others hated it. Dabuz was there and apparently pulled off a crazy Sheik fair chain that carried someone clear across the stage into the blast line for a KO, but I didn't see it for myself. Certain characters like Ness who have throws with high base knockback (Ness's fthrow specifically in this case) can get away with camping the walkoff while still remaining onscreen and threaten an early % kill. It seemed difficult to secure such a kill however; it only happened to me once or twice and I was usually able to DI up and make it back to center stage. More advanced players may report differently but until degenerate strategies prove themselves to become dominant I'd say allow it. On a related note, Coliseum, while a bit bigger, has a slightly different dynamic in place since its platforms come up from the ground. Duck Hunt proves that this can disrupt combos, so it may be worth looking at still despite its size.

Mushroom Kingdom U: Surprisingly tame all things considered. Nabbit is the only hazard that's really threatening, although I did get lucky and never had an Urchin pop up underneath my feet. The thing with Nabbit is that he's not a threat by himself; it's really easy to mash out unless you already have like 100% damage or more, and even then I'd wager most high level players can mash out fast enough. No, Nabbit's a distraction since neither player wants to get caught, so both players suddenly have to deal with an extra entity. If they feel like being gentlemen, they can hit Nabbit to free each other if he catches them, which I guess is nice but not something I'd expect anyone to do in a real match. He's really easy to hit around though, and once he immediately SD'd when he spawned in the gap on the Meringue Clouds transformation. The rest of the hazards were either benign (platforms, shift blocks, beanstalk) or could be avoided with minimal effort (icicles). The transformations were likewise all fairly easy to get used to, although Screwcap Tower requires players pay attention to the blocks' movement lest they find themselves falling short on their recovery.

Norfair: Lava was generally not an issue unless players were deliberately hit into it, or perhaps did a super laggy move as it approached. The most intrusive were the lava jets and lava wave. The lava wave in particular invariably forced a temporary stalemate as one of us used the capsule and the other simply shielded. (I was usually the one shielding, I wanted to make a point that it was possible.) The capsule is actually not a safe place to be since it takes a while to unseal afterward and in the meantime you're a sitting duck to disjointed hitboxes, take that how you will. Falling down through the platforms near the outer edge tends to make you snap to the ledge instead, which messed me up a few times. However, this is a constant feature and I don't think should be counted as a hazard per se. Players can plan strategies around it. The unique layout provided creative opportunities to both escape a disadvantaged position and assault a player who thinks they're safe. It's also really hard to keep Luma safe here with all the lava.

Mario Circuit: I did not encounter either glitch documented in the stage research thread, so no comment there. The rest of the stage worked well for the most part, the track and Shy Guys only came into play when we hit each other into them, i.e. they're not a threat to someone in neutral. Something I noticed and may investigate further at a later date is that when Shy Guys drive on the wall, they seem to inflict more horizontal knockback than I thought.

Windy Hill Zone: The largest stage at the tournament but also one of the tamest, which is really weird. The size promotes zoning and camping strategies to no one's surprise, but the windmill in particular is not a good camping zone since its movement forces the camper to change their position regularly, which opens up opportunities. The motion also changes the angle that they must defend from; I got a good hit in by taking advantage of this and hitting them from below instead of the side. The springs on either side were not generally an issue, the only time they came into play was when I simply forgot they were there which is my fault. If players work under the assumption that they exist at all times then it's really hard to get killed by them, but if the camera is zoomed out enough to reveal them then one can possibly plan a strategy.

Luigi's Mansion: A very fun stage. The ceilings create caves of life, but also combo opportunities since bad techs (or no techs) let you rack up tons of damage very quickly. However, because the mansion is destructible this can be controlled by the players, and stage control takes on a new meaning when one player wants the mansion destroyed and the other wants it intact. The lower pillars cannot be destroyed until the pillar above it is gone, so the bottom floor is generally bad for projectiles since the pillars simply sponge hits. Disjointed characters have an easy time hitting the second floor from the first, so the first floor in general is a good defensive position.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
What the heck? Yoshi's Island legal at Apex? Pipes from melee? What? I seriously am confused :(

ANYWAYS

It includes a new stage legality poll just focusing on the currently legal stagelist as well as the stages we tested. Be sure to check it out.
No, Yoshi's Island is not at Apex, Duck Hunt is.

I give my condolences to anyone at Apex that has a combo interrupted by the dog or the ducks.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
No, Yoshi's Island is not at Apex, Duck Hunt is.

I give my condolences to anyone at Apex that has a combo interrupted by the dog or the ducks.
You mean the dog where you can know when it's going to come up so you can adjust your combos or the ducks no worse then the average shy guy?

Nah, I feel nothing.

Uniit

Another random dude
@ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill Take and feel my like for this poll ! I've already voted and then questions just pops up :
Why are the explaination for legality mandatory ? Not against, just wondering : It is for knowing general reasons behind a ban (or whatever) or are you gonna wiped those who haven't provided sufficient explaination ? For those who have writen things like 'wuhu ness' bug" etc ?
The final question about prefered omega, what was the goal ? Competitive legality or general preference was asked ?

Beside these question, i'm 100% behind you for this poll. Hope we get some pretty solid and interresting results !

Fortanono

Smash Ace
Here we go!

3DS:
  • Battlefield (Neutral)
  • Final Destination (Neutral)
  • Yoshi's Island (Neutral)
  • Prism Tower (Counterpick)
  • Arena Ferox (Counterpick)
  • Omega Stages (Any) (Counterpick)
Wii U:
  • Battlefield (Neutral)
  • Final Destination (Neutral)
  • Smashville (Neutral)
  • Town and City (Neutral)
  • Lylat Cruise (Neutral)
  • Skyloft (Counterpick)
  • Castle Siege (Counterpick)
  • Big Battlefield (Counterpick)
  • Pokémon Stadium 2 (Counterpick)
  • Omega Stages (Any) (Counterpick)
8 Player Smash:
  • Big Battlefield (Neutral)
  • Omega Forms (Any) (Neutral)
  • Castle Siege (Counterpick)
  • Duck Hunt (Counterpick)

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
@ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill Take and feel my like for this poll ! I've already voted and then questions just pops up :
Why are the explaination for legality mandatory ? Not against, just wondering : It is for knowing general reasons behind a ban (or whatever) or are you gonna wiped those who haven't provided sufficient explaination ? For those who have writen things like 'wuhu ness' bug" etc ?
The final question about prefered omega, what was the goal ? Competitive legality or general preference was asked ?

Beside these question, i'm 100% behind you for this poll. Hope we get some pretty solid and interresting results !
I enjoy asking folks why they like obviously legal stages too, I find it enlightening in a way. I think I can study what they enjoy to understand why other stages might bother them.

@ Fortanono Fortanono to start DO NOT CALL STARTER STAGES NEUTRAL STAGES. THEY ARE NOT NEUTRAL. NO STAGE IN THIS GAME IS NEUTRAL NONE.

Sorry, a minor thing but man people gotta stop using that.

Next, you're missing some seriously legal stages on the Wii U. Where is Kongo Jungle 64, Delfino Plaza, Duck Hunt, and Wuhu Island? Big Battlefield is too big for singles really. Also, having omegas separate from FD is questionable.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
APEX always had a conservative stage list.

I think other camps can work with 5 starters and something around 8~10 CP's.
I mean... not too much people have something against a stage list like :

Starters : FD, Battlefield, Lylat Cruise, Smashville , Town and City

CP's : Delphino Plaza, Duck Hunt, Kongo Jungle 64, Skyloft, Wuhu Island, Halberd , Castle Siege and...
If walk-offs be accepted : Coliseum and Wii Fit Studio (or one of them).

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Videos from @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill 's recent Stage Testing tournament are being uploaded to my channel as we speak. For a playlist that you can play and watch everything in order: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmm1joZm6wUWk2Pla1ofjSnZjTOJ7v9Vd

The videos are being uploaded, so give it time before all of the matches I hosted+commentated are up. Keep checking the playlist or this thread for new matches as they're uploaded. OR Subscribe to my channel to get them right away :)

Spread the word! This was a great tournament and the matches were awesome. I hope you all enjoy watching the matches!

Uploaded so far:

More coming, I'll keep y'all updated here.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Videos from @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill 's recent Stage Testing tournament are being uploaded to my channel as we speak. For a playlist that you can play and watch everything in order: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmm1joZm6wUWk2Pla1ofjSnZjTOJ7v9Vd

The videos are being uploaded, so give it time before all of the matches I hosted+commentated are up. Keep checking the playlist or this thread for new matches as they're uploaded. OR Subscribe to my channel to get them right away :)

Spread the word! This was a great tournament and the matches were awesome. I hope you all enjoy watching the matches!

Uploaded so far:

More coming, I'll keep y'all updated here.
Err...Hmm...These videos so far haven't been that helpful. There are a lot of just plain accidental SDs either caused by lack of stage knowledge or because the person just slipped up.

The only ones that were clearly the stages fault was the first nabbit kill, and the deaths by f-zero cars.

madworlder

Smash Apprentice
That's a real bad look for Mushroom Kingdom U with those Nabbit kills. Pretty sure every time Icicles dropped, someone got hit, which is another concern. Mario Circuit's ceiling bounces ended up basically costing DaBuz a stock, too. Windy Hill Zone's rotating springs also caused a problem in Zeus' matches, but if players knew the stage better it could mostly be mitigated. The F-Zero machines in PTAD seem very difficult to see coming, but I have little experience with that stage, so I'll leave it to other people to debate that. Norfair is a really cool stage with the small platforms and air play, but I'd rather Woolly World fill that niche. I'm looking forward to the rest of the tournament being uploaded and other similar tournaments in the future.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
The Mario Circuit U match where Dabuz kept teching the road irked me. He could've easily avoided all of that by teching the stage, but he ended up hurting himself even more than he needed too.

Conda

The Mario Circuit U match where Dabuz kept teching the road irked me. He could've easily avoided all of that by teching the stage, but he ended up hurting himself even more than he needed too.
He actually was teching, he said so in chat afterwards.

Err...Hmm...These videos so far haven't been that helpful. There are a lot of just plain accidental SDs either caused by lack of stage knowledge or because the person just slipped up.

The only ones that were clearly the stages fault was the first nabbit kill, and the deaths by f-zero cars.
The whole point is to see how players do on the stages and what the stages bring to the mix. Any suboptimal reactions to stage hazards are supposed to be filtered by your mind, as you're not one of the players in the moment. It spurs conversation as we can tell what was and wasn't the stage's fault. And this is what you're doing, so clearly the tournament and this footage succeeded in that sense.

Yeah, there's an SD or two unrelated to the stage. So what? My commentary points this out when it happens, and the entire tournament is acknowledging what happens due to the stage and what happens due to the players. The point of the tournament is NOT "the winner didn't die to hazards." If you're looking for each death to be due to the stage, you're missing the point of the tournament and the footage. The commentary also frames things in this light, so it's not really the point to watch these matches expecting these players to react perfectly to everything happening in these stages.

The point is not to display tournament matches with players who have mastered each of these stages. These stages are obviously not part of the metagame, so you won't have fully optimal competitive gameplay on them. It would not be possible ever to hold a tournament where 50+ players have practised the illegal stages for months and mastered them all before competing. That'd ensure optimal scientific results of course, but we cannot organize such a thing. What @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill did was the next best thing.

Stage rundowns were available to players, they researched them before competing (it's clear which players did) and familiarised themselves. I also did heavily and my commentary lets you know what a stage has in store for the players, and comments on how those hazards/mechanics/elements can affect competitive play. THAT is the point of the tournament and footage. We don't have to watch 4v4 For Fun gameplay on these stages, as we have competitive high level (Dabuz fgs) play to look at in a more constructive and relevant context.

The players aren't masters of these stages, though, and likely never will be as they're not legal, and you cannot expect such things from them or @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill . But again, that was not part of the hypothesis behind the tournament's inception and execution.

Last edited:

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
I'm beginning to get the feeling that knockback from the road may be impossible to tech. Mario Curciut U sure is a confusing stage that is for sure.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
You can see him tech the road and not the stage. It might be due to the online lag. Even if it is untechable (I don't think it is, I believe I have teched it before but it could be my memory playing tricks on me), I believe he took extra damage because by teching the road, he got hit twice.

Conda

You can see him tech the road and not the stage. It might be due to the online lag. Even if it is untechable (I don't think it is, I believe I have teched it before but it could be my memory playing tricks on me), I believe he took extra damage because by teching the road, he got hit twice.
Perhaps, I'll ask him myself.

(edit: I've summoned him via twitter)

Btw, I'll be uploading the rest of the tournament tomorrow here. I think there's around 2x as much footage left, from the final 16 bracket matches. Feel free to post comments on the videos too, people stopping by there from other places would love to discuss the stages too.

Last edited:

Fortanono

Smash Ace
I enjoy asking folks why they like obviously legal stages too, I find it enlightening in a way. I think I can study what they enjoy to understand why other stages might bother them.

@ Fortanono Fortanono to start DO NOT CALL STARTER STAGES NEUTRAL STAGES. THEY ARE NOT NEUTRAL. NO STAGE IN THIS GAME IS NEUTRAL NONE.

Sorry, a minor thing but man people gotta stop using that.

Next, you're missing some seriously legal stages on the Wii U. Where is Kongo Jungle 64, Delfino Plaza, Duck Hunt, and Wuhu Island? Big Battlefield is too big for singles really. Also, having omegas separate from FD is questionable.
Sorry. And yeah, you're right. I didn't include Wuhu Island because I thought Skyloft was too similar and some of the transforrmations are crazy (Boat and Bridge). The others you're right about.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Sorry. And yeah, you're right. I didn't include Wuhu Island because I thought Skyloft was too similar and some of the transforrmations are crazy (Boat and Bridge). The others you're right about.
The layouts are completely different between Wuhu Island and Skyloft; they are not really similar at all. That's like banning Town and City because it's similar to Battlefield because they both have 3 platforms.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Hey folks, I'll be getting the results up from the poll and such very soon, I'm going over every response to have general writeups on how folks felt about the stages too so we'll have some serious things to work with when we sit down to discuss. I'll be looking at thoughts from those who entered the tournament as well and take them into account.

While I'm here however, I want to discuss Kongo Jungle 64 and its barrel.

Yes I know we've discussed this before but hear me out. The barrel may have a centralization issue with villager. The barrel is on an exact timer for when it moves back and forth and when it spins. Villager can stay VERY deep underneath the stage using his rocket and balloons to stall, wait for the barrel, then fire off when it spins to keep him still low and under the stage, to continue the combo indefinitely. Many characters may not be able to reach him in this position and recover, and even those who could it could be incredibly risky.

Before someone says "just take the barrel away" I have been thinking on this and it's a problem. This leaves the entire match to be based around one player taking a barrel then the other and nothing else, a degenerate strategy that makes fighting not happen. I am not solid with Villager, but along with a good friend we've been been trying to nail down the timing and we are confident this can be doable in a competitive setting. Hopefully I can manage a video of this soon, but for now we need to consider the stage may be busted which would be terribly sad. I encourage you to get in there and test this harder, I most certainly will be.

Conda

Maybe stalling in this sense just shouldnt be allowed. I know thats finicky rule-enforcement-wise but villager can do a lot of stalling due to bis recovery.

Also @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill theres 2x as many videos being uploaded from the tournament

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
i know this is a bit off-topic since it's a "what if", but do you guys think a stage like the all star resting area would work, if it ha actual blast lines beyond the platfrom's edges? the bottomless pit is water, but besides that and the size...

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Hey folks, I'll be getting the results up from the poll and such very soon, I'm going over every response to have general writeups on how folks felt about the stages too so we'll have some serious things to work with when we sit down to discuss. I'll be looking at thoughts from those who entered the tournament as well and take them into account.

While I'm here however, I want to discuss Kongo Jungle 64 and its barrel.

Yes I know we've discussed this before but hear me out. The barrel may have a centralization issue with villager. The barrel is on an exact timer for when it moves back and forth and when it spins. Villager can stay VERY deep underneath the stage using his rocket and balloons to stall, wait for the barrel, then fire off when it spins to keep him still low and under the stage, to continue the combo indefinitely. Many characters may not be able to reach him in this position and recover, and even those who could it could be incredibly risky.

Before someone says "just take the barrel away" I have been thinking on this and it's a problem. This leaves the entire match to be based around one player taking a barrel then the other and nothing else, a degenerate strategy that makes fighting not happen. I am not solid with Villager, but along with a good friend we've been been trying to nail down the timing and we are confident this can be doable in a competitive setting. Hopefully I can manage a video of this soon, but for now we need to consider the stage may be busted which would be terribly sad. I encourage you to get in there and test this harder, I most certainly will be.
I don't think we should ban the stage unless this is shown to be too powerful in tournaments. It might be something that sounds good in theory, but doesn't work in execution. Maybe have some people purposefully try to do this at a weekly to see if it works.

Also, I was playing through All-Star mode and the CPU managed to tech Mario Circuit (Wii U). So it can be done, but I don't know if there's some weird rules like it requires you to successfully perform the tech after the first hit before the knockback is too great or something.

HavocThunder

Smash Cadet
NNID
HavocThunder
Long, possibly final post ahead:

Look, you can't argue against or ignore a contradiction without making yourself look dumb. Go play a Phoenix Wright game for millions of examples of people trying to do the same thing. I can literally reply to everyone's posts, including the ones I haven't directly replied to, in one sweep with this again because they're all missing the point:

Challenging me or trying to convince me that camping would be more ineffective/effective isn't going to clear up this contradiction between everyone's posts and what's stated in the rules. In fact, it's just providing more evidence of my point.

Let's just be really honest here. It's clear that sometimes we respect a player's decision to win by timeout. That's pretty clear because everyone including me agrees there should be SOME time limit.

However, that respect is only shown when it's convenient to what's popular (the "metagame"). It's incredibly obvious because of the existence of this entire contradiction, where suddenly players can't use stages to win by timeout. That's also why there's so many complaints about "it drags matches too long" or "it would be too popular" or *insert complaint about not wanting to adapt here*. So many people have admitted to this already it's depressing. People are so frank about their bias, just put it in the official rules so there's no confusion. Oh wait it already is, in the stagelist, which is my WHOOOLE POINT AGAIN.... *SIGH*

It's actually the TOs fault for not enforcing their rules and making sure players are aware of what's legal or not. They probably don't even know themselves, hence all of the unnecessary innocent stage banning. Back to the contradiction. Let's review it again:
  1. Stages are banned because of their ability to drag out a match to the time limit for a win
  2. The rules allow players to drag out any match on any stage to a win.
There's a number of ways to address it, one which I've brought up multiple times:
  • Change (shorten) the time limit so the maximum amount of time each match takes is lowered. This will directly address the complaints of "campy/defensive matches taking too long". It makes the time limit more of a factor in a match, but it already was against 2 players who read the rules, so nothing changes there.
  • Step up commentating so people who spectate can appreciate the amount of pressure it takes to win by timeout
  • Stop telling people X stage is banned because of its ability to drag out matches.
  • Stop banning stages with this reasoning. Pretty much every stage needs to be reevaluated without this reasoning involved.
If people seriously aren't going "HOLY CRAP LET'S FIX THIS" like I did, I'm definitely in the wrong forum with the wrong people. The fact that everyone would rather direct their disagreements at my likes/dislikes instead of the real issue, despite me repeating it over and over again, makes me deeply regret making an account here and speaking up.

Hopefully some reasonable person with some visibility realizes how much having a stagelist and the other official rules contradict each other destroys the credibility of the Smash community. I'm not even getting into the contradictions between characters and stages. Ex: Ban stages with random elements but characters with random elements like G&W or Villager are fine. Ban unpopular stages but don't ban unpopular characters...

Okay. We'll set aside Wrecking Crew, since, you're right. I haven't done my homework on it. Also, Mario killing Charizard with up-smash isn't really... a great... comparison. >.>
You're right. :-P That's my fault, but it is something I noticed while playing there. The blastzone is higher than you'd think, it's a little higher than where the 6th floor would be. I'd like to get some more comparable numbers about the vertical KO blast zone like some folks did in that thread about blastzones.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I kinda want to take a break from posting because I didn't expect all of this unnecessary friction on a very solid point I made. Hopefully someone will look back and go "Hmm.....you know, I think HavocThunder was right about this." I'm ok with people disagreeing with me, but I'm saying "Look at the rules, something's wrong" and everyone wants to look at how I feel about stuff. I can feel any way towards anything.

Do you want me to make up something that pleases you? I'm not here to please you, I'm here to get these stages legal. I don't care if you're new or old or a TO or a top player or a new one. I don't care that people will use popular or unpopular tactics if the time limit's changed.

Here's how this thread has gone from my Post 1:
"Here's how this stage works"
"I've got a feeling"
"I prove the rules or stage contradict your feelings and provide solutions"
"I still have a feeling"

Welp, I might as well give up while I'm still sane. This place could use a lot more folks like me who keep things real, but I'm getting driven away right now with the lack of real discussion on real topics. Real topics like the proven fact TOs have been doing a sloppy job for 12 years to make sure players are aware of the time limit!!! Or banning stages for legal things you can do in a match!! O_O How does that not make you question how TOs are ruling stage bans?

If I couldn't get to your post, I'm really sorry and please don't make me out to be some crazy villain here. I'm a person and a player and a TOURNAMENT PLAYER at that too. I was at Shuffle VI and had a ton of fun playing with the folks there in Smash 3DS. I'm pretty sure I did hit everything at some point in this post, though, so read it again carefully if you disagree. I wish I could sit here and personally correct everyone's posts, but I just don't have the time or energy to do that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have some things I'd like to contribute for Palutena's Temple because I'm shocking myself at how much detracts from circle camping with the springs + hazards + pits, but is it really worth sharing on a board where people would rather ban things on their feelings instead of proof? I'm not holding anything hostage, you can easily see what I mean if you have the game and LOOK.

Maybe if the time limit is shortened, people will warm up to camping, then maybe TOs can experiment with Palutena's Temple or Wrecking Crew or Gaur Plains, then maybe everyone will eventually see all these odd scenarios that detract from circle camping, and maybe someone else could decide these stages are ok for me........or I could take a good 15 minutes in Training Mode to investigate for myself and contribute my own informed perspective into the stage discussion :| I'm still legit disappointed that I had to explain Wrecking Crew has fall-through platforms. It'll forever be banned with the way people make up stuff about that stage... Pac-Land and Wily's Castle too.

If what I was saying mattered, I would expect to see Wily's Castle and Wrecking Crew on everyone's legal lists from here on out. NOT on debatable. I've proven beyond a reasonable doubt that these stages are predictable and therefore competitive. I wish I had gotten to Pac-Land, but no one here will ever take that seriously. "Yes we will...eventua-" No. Don't lie to yourself. And if you were, what about the stage and not the players are you looking at? I've already pointed predictable things on both stages worth looking at and no one cares to do more investigation. I could do it for Palutena's Temple but no one would care, it's just soooo obvious what's wrong about it... -_-

Even though there's nothing outright wrong and we can't fully articulate what is wrong, ban them because they're unpopular...smh propose to ban Ganondorf or any character while you're at it and watch the amount of uproar you'll rightfully deserve for that.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm just going to isolate one line because that's all I really have the energy to discuss right now.

The rules allow players to drag out any match on any stage to a win.
Exhibit A. It's a video of a Smash 64 match, where there does not exist an option to have time limits for stock matches. This one match lasted nearly an hour. Now, this is not representative of what will happen in every match without a time limit, but it is a perfect example of why the time limit exists at all in the ruleset from Melee onward.

But at the same time we do not want winning by timeout to be viable, therefore the time limit needs to be long enough to discourage such. The only reason we have a time limit at all is because the alternative is worse. Your suggestion of a shorter time limit for the explicit purpose of making a win by timeout more palatable is therefore...not supported by most people, to put it lightly.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
First off, stop saying your own points are "solid" and "real" while treating everyone like idiots. Debates don't work like that, and you are not in a phoenix wright game.

Second off.

Let's just be really honest here. It's clear that sometimes we respect a player's decision to win by timeout. That's pretty clear because everyone including me agrees there should be SOME time limit.
No. Shoud vs. Have. We have to have a time limit, not we should have a time limit. We have to have a time limit because we don't want tournaments going massively over time. If there was a way to get rid of stalling and camping of any kind without a time limit, people would, but we can't. So we have to use the time limit because at some point we just have to let someone win by time out.

Lowering the time limit increases camping which is something no wants, and something no one has to do, so why do it?

And here's the thing, you haven't given us a reason to like camping other then, "it increases stages." And? They are just stages. Ones that make competition less fair and fun. I don't care if it is a win condition, it is not fair.

You haven't given us any reason why it shouldn't be unpopular. Ok so the majority hate camping, why shouldn't we? People have experienced it. Multiple times. People have tested it.

How can people like to play a game thats "hit once" then run away. How can people warm up to that, especially with money on the line? No one wants to say, "I lost my chance at 1,000 dollars because I was hit once." It doesn't matter if it's unpopular because there is no reason to like it. There's no reason to have that at tournaments. And you have yet to give us one.

Also, you keep saying, "there is so much pressure when stalling," no there is not. Camping is easy. Especially on bigger stages. Especially if you want the time limit decreased.

Lastly, no one is pushing you out. You are leaving on your own accord.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Also, you keep saying, "there is so much pressure when stalling," no there is not. Camping is easy. Especially on bigger stages. Especially if you want the time limit decreased.
As someone who plays extremely defensively. Camping is not easy. Especially at a high level. I work hard to keep you out, but I can't do that for an entire game. If it were, Ganondorf v Mega Man would be unwinnable for Ganondorf.

If I was camping on a stage that helped me camp, then sure. I could see myself going into Luigi's Mansion trying to time the person out while the mansion is still in tact, but the stage allows for the mansion to be destroyed, taking away my defensive advantage.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
As someone who plays extremely defensively. Camping is not easy. Especially at a high level. I work hard to keep you out, but I can't do that for an entire game. If it were, Ganondorf v Mega Man would be unwinnable for Ganondorf.

If I was camping on a stage that helped me camp, then sure. I could see myself going into Luigi's Mansion trying to time the person out while the mansion is still in tact, but the stage allows for the mansion to be destroyed, taking away my defensive advantage.
Ok, it isn't always easy. Sure. But when we add in places like Palutena's temple, and other types of large stages. Then when we lower the time limit, a lot of pressure just comes off.

Not to mention we also have stages like Pilotwings, where camping then actually is very easy. All you have to do is get on the engine, and attack whenever the opponent tries to get on.

It does vary correct, but we have to try to keep it from being easy. Camping can't be a dominant strategy, and thats what I meant. I didn't mean to make it sound like camping was easy on the more legal stages like battlefield, final destination. Sorry.

I was referring to his post about Wrecking crew, wily's castle, and Palutena's temple.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
when we lower the time limit, a lot of pressure just comes off.

It does vary correct, but we have to try to keep it from being easy. Camping can't be a dominant strategy, and thats what I meant.
This. 95%. I'm actually fine with the idea of camping being a strong strategy. However, it can't be the only dominant strategy.

Which is why I think 8 minutes/3 stocks is quite good in terms of ruleset. It sets up a good balance of "we want KO's" while allowing for time outs to be discouraged but realistic. Setting up a stage list that corresponds to this thinking of "we have to try to keep [camping] from being easy" is how we should approach this subject, which is why I'm against Pilotwings, Big Battlefield, Palutena's Temple, Temple, Gaur Plains, and 75 m (lol).

Wrecking Crew and Wily's Castle I'd put up for debate strictly from a camping standpoint. (Don't know enough about Wrecking Crew and the Yellow Devil camping spot is temporary. Yellow Devil has other problems other than camping it)

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
What you said
You have to remember that the point of a competition is to see who the most skillful player is. Most stages that are banned for camping don't. It doesn't take much to shoot a projectile once and then go into a position where your opponent can't approach. any stage where camping becomes the dominant strategy will likely not be a good showing of skill since the winner isn't determined by who can play the best, but by who gets the first hit. Is there some skill? Well every stage is different and some require more than others. But when you get to higher level play, the difference in skill is basically made trivial by these stages we ban for camping.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Well, time to post up the results! I have written up the most commonly mentioned comments on each stage for us to study. These are in the words of those who responded I am just reiterating what I read most. To make sure it's clear these are not my thoughts I'm expressing. Not only will provide the results for the Starter/Counterpich dichotomy but the Legal/Banned as well. I have including this pretty chart here for your TLDR version, and will include the specific percentage below. I have also gone out of my way to list them in order of popularity on the poll as well so you can see which stages folks like the most! So with all that work done, here it is for your enjoyment and study.

Starter/CP|Legal/Banned|Stage Comments|Vote %
Starter | Legal | Green = Starter/Legal Yellow = Counterpick Orange = Questionable Red = Banned|Vote %
Battlefield|Battlefield|Legal in previous iterations of the games, Battlefield is a very simple stage with no major gimmicks and is one of the better balanced stages of the game with it's well placed platforms. Reasonably sized, very fair, this should totally be a legal stage. "Duh, it's Battlefield."|S: 96% CP: 2% B: 2%
Smashville|Smashville|Probably the best stage in the entirety of smash, it has everything you need, a simple platform that moves to give it a slightly dynamic feel without interfering with the match and has no major gimmicks or hazards minus the balloon that everyone like to pop! "Did you expect anything else but starter?"|S:94% CP: 5% B: 1%
Final Destination|Final Destination|A stage with no major gimmicks or hazards, this is just a simple platform and just leaves you and your opponent. While the stage may be slightly polarizing in most matchups it has been a starter and legal in previous iterations and should stay as such. It should be noted MANY people mentioned how the background on FD this time around is VERY distracting and makes it difficult to play on or see characters and should be replaced with an Omega. I saw this one coming which is why I asked what Omega was player's favorites. By far the most favored Omega was Great Cave Offensive however it's friction does not match that of normal FD. The stage that was most popular, was a "floating" Omega, and has the same friction levels was Orbital Gate Assault. So for those considering such a rule, I would recommend either it or the stage most mentioned as specifically replacing it on the survey Skyworld.|S: 87% CP: 10% B: 3%
Town and City|Town and City|While the platforms have a slight potential to kill if landed on at an unlucky point, "it's like Battlefield, Final Destination, And Smashville all rolled into one". 3 solid transformations to play on and work with this is a wonderful stage.|S: 79% CP: 19% B: 2%
Lylat Cruise|Lylat Cruise|The first stage to have an interesting result. While a large majority of people voted for it as a starter, enough folks mentioned it as a counterpick to at least mention here. The tilting and difficult edges to recover on for some characters were the most mentioned reasons for this, and were even mentioned by those who voted for it as a starter. However most thought the stage was still simple and tame despite these things.|S: 56% CP: 37% B: 7%
Duck Hunt|Duck Hunt|The next stop on our list of stages with two colors, Duck Hunt has enough votes for it to be a starter it was worth mentioning. The tree being a strong camping position (Little Mac most mentioned) as well as the dog possibly interrupting combos or the ducks taking hits. Despite this folks did note that the ducks where no worse then a shy guy on Yoshi's Story, and the dog was rather predictable.|S: 37% CP: 52% B: %11
Kongo Jungle 64|Kongo Jungle 64|This stage is also a slight curiosity. It has a number of votes at least worth looking at for those who voted starter, but not enouhg to swing it over like Duck Hunt. Still, if you were to run a 7 stage starter list this would be the choice for 7th. The highest platforms not being fun to reach for some was mentioned, and the barrel was mentioned by all who voted as well as things that need to be thought about. Still most find these things still tame enough for legality and mention the stage can be banned and struck by characters with difficulties reaching the top.|S: 25% CP: 60% B: 15%
Delfino Plaza|Delfino Plaza|Most mention that without Meta Knight to cause sharking issues this stage looks rather good. The water was mentioned frequently as as issue by those who did not like the stage, and most seem to agree the section with the pillars is one of the more annoying transformations next to the walkoffs. Still most think the stage is still tame and the variety it provides with its various transitions make it a great stage.|S: 10% CP: 76% B: 14%
Skyloft|Skyloft|Most compared this with Delfino plaza, mentioning that while there are transformation that are not the best (the Waterfalls was mentioned most alongside walkoff) it is still a worthy stage and that the variety of places to go could be cool for matches. It's also mentioned that the stage is a bit bigger, but not in a terrible way, more in a way that's nice to give you more space without causing camping issues.|S: 14% CP: 65% B: 21%
Halberd|Halberd|While this stage seemed to have a lot of support for its position there were still some who voted for the stage that found certain things questionable. Most said the canon and laser would easily avoidable and folks did comment on how the laser could even be used strategically but almost everyone agreed the Claw was annoying and a blemish on this otherwise alright stage. Those who would want it banned think the hazards are far too intrusive. Folks did also mention the very brief walkoff on the stage, but many commented on how they enjoyed the different size of its blastzones and how that made a great counterpick quality.|S: 14 CP: 61 B: 25%
Castle Siege|Castle Siege|Unsurprisingly the second tranformation was mentioned often, some think it along with the stage transitions being walk offs make the stage have too much walk off possibilities, while others do no think this is enough to make the stage a problem. The transitions themselves and how they sometimes were a bit odd were mentioned as well as a negative aspect. Still many people said that if there were no second transformation this stage would surely be a starter, and even with it some folks who picked counterpick said this could be considered maybe for it but they just weren't sure.|S: 14% CP: 59% B: 27%
Pokemon Stadium 2|Pokemon Stadium 2|The word "jank" was used a lot. Many noted that the stage is much better to play on then it was in Brawl and how the transformations have been vastly improved and that their special qualities made them a cool counterpick for a player who knows the stage well. Those who did not like the stage mentioned that they didn't like how certain portions of the stage changed normal gameplay a lot, especially the ice and wind transformations are something you see no where else in the game and it changes some fundamental aspects of a fight during battle.|S: 13% CP: 54% B: 33%
Wuhu Island|Wuhu Island|This one is difficult. If you do some match, there is a VERY close split on if this should be legal overall for those who prefer legal/banned and is definitely in more of a counterpick/banned area for starter/counterpick folks. The glitch on the stage went almost unmentioned so I do not think this is the reason the stage is being voted down. The most common complaints on the stages were it's particularly disruptive and campy transformations and there seemed to be a complaint on how almost every single one could be abused in some way. Most compared it to Skyloft or Delfino Plaza mentioning of those two stages were much better versions of what Wuhu Island is. The large size of the stage in general was also brought up by many as a possible camping issue, or as maybe a nice counterpick quality for characters who want more space.| S: 10% CP:45% B: 45%
Windy Hill Zone|Windy Hill Zone|Most people agreed the way the gravity could effect various projectiles was not a big enough deal to worry about on the stage. The size seems to be the largest concern for players, people think it may just be too strong for very mobile characters. No one seemed to enjoy the springs at all, there were many mentions of how they could come up and kill you at random and were more likely to kill you then save you. In general the stage is iffy to most players.|S: 8% CP: 34% B: 53%
Mario Circuit (Wii U)|Mario Circuit (Wii U)|The walls were mentions by those who supported and those who didn't support the stage in various ways. Some find they create some unique aspects of play to work around while others think they alter gameplay too much and the odd caves of life and combos they can create are too intrusive. The cars while most people do not think they are that strong are still mentioned often as being disruptive in ways. This stage definitely is questionable.|S:4% CP: 38% B: 58%
Luigi's Mansion|Luigi's Mansion|While you are able to destroy them, the cave of life created on the stage were issues for many, as well as the crazy combos that can happen while they still exist. Camping on the stage was mentioned to be very easy with the solid walls as well especially with the pillars to protect you from certain projectiles.|S:6% CP: 25% B: 69%
Wii Fit Studio|Wii Fit Studio|This one is short and sweet, people just plain didn't like walkoffs. The stage also has some platforms that can be quite high, and a few folks mentioned how they could maybe carry you away.|S: 8% CP: 22% B: 70%
Norfair|Norfair|Most find the lava to be far too disruptive even with it having some cues as to when it will come onto the stage. It changes the dynamics of where and how you can fight too often for most, making stage control very difficult or just plain granting it and random depending on the lava wall that rides in. Not to mention many mentioned it was too powerful a counterpick for characters strong in the air.|S:3% CP: 25% B: 72%
Mushroom Kingdom U|Mushroom Kingdom U|Many things were complained about on the stage. The water popping up with a blowfish at random, the fact that if the camera is zoomed in you cannot always see a water droplet before the ice falls down and walk right into it, and many of the transformations can become campy be it because of their layout of whatever hazards came up at various times be it Nabbit making some players run away, a piece of ice in the middle of a stage, the beanstalk being big and easy to run on, and more.|S: 2% CP: 16% B: 82%
Port Town Aero Dive|Port Town Aero Dive|The cars being able to kill very easily and the lack of grabable edge being far too powerful a counterpick quality were mentioned often. This has almost no support at all after testing, the stage by most comments was a total dud.|S: 3% CP: 14% B: 83%

IT'S ALL DONE NOW! GIVE IT A READ!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom