• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St. Paul Biweeklies!

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
that't be sweet to go to a WI tourny...although my parents would probably disaprove lol, maybe sometime this summer who knows?

Eci4

Smash Ace
the problem is, anyone looking for competitive smash will end up here, if they happen to be from MN, they won't see the thread and know to go to our forums... so yeah

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
Judging by the traffic that saw/checked for this topic, it shouldn't be a huge problem. Someone will post wondering if they're the only smasher in MN and we'll likely point them to the new forum.

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
I have it in my sig. just in case someone looks at it and is interested. It would be nice if more people from MN would, then it might lure in some more members.

ecarlson05

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, first time noticing this thread, I live in Uptown and I am thinking about coming to this tourney in St. Paul tomorrow. I am not great by any means, but I know what I'm doing. Is essentially anyone welcome?

James Sparrow

Smash Master
Yes, everyone is welcome. Tomorrow's event is a fest, so no money tournaments, but there may be free tourneys as well as oppurtunities to money match people.

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
It starts at 12:00 I believe, but events don't take place until around 1:00 usually.

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
Crews = good.

Oh, I remember reading at the MN forum that someone will be bringing their wavebird along. Would other people be willing to do that (I'll try to bring mine). the reason why I ask is because in the video section somebody did something called the "double-mint challenge," where you use two wave bird receivers and one controller to control two characters at once (IC style, sort of). Looks kind of fun.

ecarlson05

Smash Rookie
That was me, I was thinking about bringing my wavebird. This will be my first mass Smash attendance.

mastr0fmyd0main3

Smash Journeyman
Man, reading that **** midwest wikipedia site makes me want to actually start traveling huge tournaments. I can't imagine how quickly one is able to get good by going....I mean, that's obviously how the pros do it, regardless of your inherent pwn skills.

I want to go to FC(insert number here) :psycho:

Cold_Trax

Smash Cadet
Hmm...
So the biweekly is on April 7th, tournament April 24th...
Man i'm getting confused over the cost, the dates and the location:confused:
Can someone please tell me what is the cost, the dates and where the biweekly and the tournament are going to be held?:( :( :(

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
Those dates are probably wrong, as OMGiggles (see a bit below on the MW page) is on the 7th.

Regardless, both smashfests and tournaments (aside from OMGiggles) are held at the University of St. Thomas. Singles cost $10, teams cost $10 team (or $5 a person unless you're trying to team with a computer or something). Dates will probably be changed soon.

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
I'm really interested in attending this soon. How many people on average show up for this? And what goes on at smashfests as opposed to tournies?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
If you're looking to go to the April 7th one, it's actually not taking place that day. The OMGiggles tourney will be happening. (Bluewolf should change that so we don't have disappointed people showing up at St. Thomas :p)

Here's the OMGiggles thread. http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=98877

At Smashfests, it's basically everyone doing free play all day. Sometimes at smashfests we have tournaments for fun and you don't have to pay. We might do Singles, Doubles, Low Tier or Crew Matches. Crew matches happen a lot. They're lots of fun. But it's mostly just everybody playing friendlies. :)

At tournaments, a doubles tournament takes place ($10 per team), and then a singles tournament ($10 per person). After the doubles and singles are done, it's basically a smashfest. Sometimes we'll do a crew match. Also, people play friendlies before the tournaments begin.

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
is low tier referring to specific characters? also, what does a crew match entail?
one last question, is the tournament on April 21st still happening at St.Thomas?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
In low tier tournaments, you can only use these characters:

Link
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Roy
Young Link
Pikachu
Yoshi
Zelda
Mr. Game and Watch
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

A crew match is basically two large teams of players going against each other. Each team has a captain. There are usually 6 or 7 people on each team. Each player on the team gets the same amount of stock. For example, if there are 6 players on both teams and each player has 5 stock, it's a 30-stock crew match. Everyone has to choose what character they will be ahead of time and stick with that character the whole time. A player from one team will play against a player from the other team. When someone loses all their stock, the captain sends in another player. It goes on until one team loses all their stock (that team loses.) It's a lot of fun, and it's much more simple that it sounds. :)

The St. Paul Biweeklies are the 14th (smashfest) and 27th (tournament).

Hopefully you can make it to OMGiggles! :)

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
cool...crew matches sound awesome. I'll probably attend the smashfest on the 14th, and learn as much as I can before the tournament.

Cold_Trax

Smash Cadet
OK now I understand what's happening ok well this will be great!
I understand the dates and the time. Thanks and see u at OMGiggles and this biweekly everyone!

D. Disciple

Smash Master
More for your prize that's all I can say, I didn't think he would actually do it, when I saw he pulled out Shiek lol. He had it bad, going up against Baka first, then losing to Eci4.

Eci4

Smash Ace
He was pissed... but it upped my confidence, him johnning 'bout how great my fox was on the phone... I'm not good enough yet for people to be complaining about how good I am...

He tried to counterpick Hyrule Temple against me xD

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I was just wondering if you (Bluewolf) are planning on hosting brawl tournaments after its release. Yeah, I know its soon but I want to know.

Top Bottom