• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St. Paul Biweeklies!

Nester

Smash Rookie
NNID
ProfessorNester
Ugh, I have a wedding to go to in Prairie Lake this weekend, otherwise I'd be happy to come. I live right down the street from the campus too, so I could probably manage to bring my setup for the next one if you still need more.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
i might get a couple guys from my dorm to come... i have been talking to them at floor meetings and there are about 3 or 4 guys who say they play. they're probably pretty bad though.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
so....i'll assume AR isnt allowed?
i'll own yoshii's jiggz. for free!!! lolz YYG.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Yeah man Yoshii's Jiggs will destroy yours for sure, the WoP *shudders*. Aaron I'm still mad about that, when you WoP'd me when we were playing with Bumpma just before we went up to get pizza. That was cruel man D=

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
Yeah straight up Yoshii wins vs this annoying clown!

Anyone want a money match? Aaron I'll MM your mario for $5 :)

A big pot may attract better players, but I doubt players around here are willing to put up enough money to attract the likes of Darkrain or Eddie. It would have to be an enourmous pot to get them to drive/fly all the way up to Minnesota.

You guys don't seem to want to travel to find competition, and they aren't going to come looking for you, which means that you two will remain the area superpowers until someone else develops their game enough to put up the challenge you're looking for.

Now, you can continue to be stingy about the money and only show up to tourneys to grab some free cash and laugh as you demolish people with your double G&W team, or you could come to the smashfests, the small tourneys, and all the other events, play a bunch of games with everyone, and help the community as a whole get better, with the intent that some of them may eventually put forth the challenge that you guys are looking for.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that you guys are coming, but it annoys me that you complain about the lack of competition and yet do very little to help people get better. In the almost 1 and a half years that I've gone to smash events, I've played with Aaron maybe 3 or 4 times, and the first time I played you was at Disciple's tourney.

Bluewolf, I don't like your attitude.

Aaron has been more than willing to play friendlies at any event, you just have to figure out how to ask him.

Smash isn't about other people wanting to make you better, it's all about what you can do for yourself to make yourself better :p. That's part of the reason I stopped playing this summer.

Every time I've wanted to play with Aaron, we've set up a time and gotten together. I don't think it's ever NOT worked out when I've PMed him/called him and tried to set up a date to play. They don't want to spend money on gas to play with people who suck in compairison. Why do you think I charge $10 for a 1/2 hour lesson in SSBM? If I don't want to play with you I'll make you pay for my advice and knowledge, and I can guarentee you'll become a better player.

SO. That said you should watch what you say, and don't make it sound like it's aaron's fault he doesn't play with you. Talk a little more, be a bit more social :p Were you there that one night when me and Aaron played for like... 4 hours at sdm's? If you were you should of asked for next match.

OH. and also. Regarding the whole money thing... You talk about aaron chexr being greedy, but gas money is an issue. You know how much it costs driving around to local tourneys. Gas is 2.xx a gallon, and I dont want to spend money to play smash brothers when I could just sit on my duff here in River Falls and play with Yoshii or Deepak. In fact the only reason to come to this tourney right now is to see how darkroom has improoved, maybe meet some of these WI people that I haven't met yet and show them the awesomeness of me, and see if I can beat Superdoodleman(which I doubt). If I wasn't excited to play with SDM Aaron/chexr and the new people I would definitly not be coming on saturday :p.

DarkRoom

Smash Ace
Ahahahhaha, see how I've improved? I've probably gotten worse. I play like once every two weeks with my roommate who is a complete scrub. I've turned him on to Sheik, which was a big mistake. Gad that bitch is annoying.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
ahah actually considering odiez isn't this weekend (I thought it was) I would actually go to this if I had like 3 people to come with me for gas. xtra, ethan, .. uh... .... lonejedi? man fox cities has NO smashers...

James Sparrow

Smash Master
ahah actually considering odiez isn't this weekend (I thought it was) I would actually go to this if I had like 3 people to come with me for gas. xtra, ethan, .. uh... .... lonejedi? man fox cities has NO smashers...
yeah now that me and chansen are gone... dude you guys should seriously come. gas wouldn't be too rediculous, and if it is maybe i could chip in on it too or something. but yeah talk to ethan and xtra and umm... spybloom. lol idk. you should come.

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
money match accepted teflon!

5$ teflon
1$ sperrow

anyone else?money match? ill play other characters besides mario if you want.

also teflon you seem to understand chexr and I =) im glad you and yoshii are comming. I cant wait to play you guys in teams.

p.s. im bringing a cube and a tv with probably my vcr so i can record matches =)

Eci4

Smash Ace
aaron, I may be crazy, but next time I get out to one of these (found out tonight it will be next month tyler and I try to start going) I may mm you... if I could get out there saturday I would, but I dont know where I'll be finance wise come october... I think by october though I might have a serious chance of only getting one stocked

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
Aaro we need to play more often =) I'm going to start calling you and seeing what's up. Also I'd like to come over to your place sometime... I'm planning a trip to NYC to meet up with some people (dave), and I think you should be along!! So that means me convincing your mother!

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
it might be a good idea to have skill levels too, i.e. nooby divisions and pro divisions just a thought, but i am very interested in these tournys, i hope to attent one

Splorky Fish

Smash Rookie
Tempest might be on to something, but I have a slightly different suggestion. Perhaps you could make two tiers of entrants, with two fees. The Sweet Tier would be a ten dollar fee, and people who enter at this level can have a chance to win money. The Lame Tier would be a five dollar fee, but if anyone who enters at lame level can't win money. If they place, their award goes to the next highest ranked Sweet Tier player.

Now that I've said it, this might not work. I'm trying to come up with a way to make the pot bigger for good players who are further away without turning away more novice players. I was anticipating going to try to pick up pointers and whatnot (I haven't even the advanced techniques, so clearly I have a lot to learn) but I'm thinking that paying to get my face ***** in round 1 and then getting charged for a half-hour lesson just to salvage something from the night...maybe i'll just watch the Twins, lol.

Anyways, the concept I was going for is widely used in businesses of all sorts. For example, baseball stadiums charge different prices, higher for people who want the high reward of good seats, and lower prices for cheap *******s like me that just want to be at the game. Less people would go if there were only $40 dollar tickets, so having some cheaper seats maximizes profit. Not sure if that applies as much here, it depends how many people with no chance to win would be attracted by the lower fees. Repeat attendance should also be considered, because the redeeming point of this suggestion is that less skilled players may still have a chance to play around for awhile at a cheaper fee before getting knocked out, so they might be more likely to come back. That might even depend on how many friendlies go on throughout the day. Hard to say if it'd increase the pot overall, but it's something to think about.

Whitefire

Smash Apprentice
there are a total of four of us heading down this saturday for the tourney, two and a half hour drive total, and we're all happy with the current entry fees, since we're all putting a little money into gas anyways. Hope to see everyone there and hope I can have an enjoyable first tourney.

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
team teflon should get an afro wins!
sure just call me on the weekends. I have college now so it might be a bit harder to set up something but we can try =)

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
By the way, if anyone wants lessons, $10 for a 1/2 hour lesson @ this event. This means I pretty much dedicate my next 1/2 hour to you and teaching you how to play better.

This is a pretty good price seeing how music stores charge $15-20 per 1/2 hour if you're going for a lesson. And you all don't doubt my pro-ness =D.

AND OMG AARON YOU'RE IN COLLEGE?! how do fridays work for you?

Not sweet darkroom. You're sweet. AND HOT.

Chexr

Smash Ace
im not doing as bad as I was last tournament anymore :p my fox has been beating aarons best guys about half of the time now, I think I have a fairly good chance <,<

D. Disciple

Smash Master
So does that mean you GaW got better than last time? I need to get some training in with you guys one of these days. My friend's been getting too **** cocky nowadays and he brings me the reason of why I hate playing against Falcos.

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
lol yeah chexr actually does beat my like half of the time now but oh well as long as we dominate 1st and 2nd i dont really care who wins that much. of course I will try my hardest to win but hey cant win them all =P

and because chexr has been beating me a bit more I think I will have to play a solid falco at this tourney not docter mario sorry guys =( but I will do alot of friendlies as him =)

one more thing our team combo wont be G&W or Kirby we are actually gonna play better characters so be prepared >.>

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
well not really starting to worry so much about teams =P just wanna play serious.
also people like teflon,yoshii,sdm,darkroom, are all going.

BlueWolf25

Smash Journeyman
Teflon, I think you misunderstood the entire point behind my last post.

However, in the interest of not cluttering up the thread with more arguing, I'll say no more. PM me if you still want to discuss it.

----------

In other news, with the help of my friend Dave, who works at the tech desk on campus, I've found my webspace on the St. Thomas network. I need to refresh my HTML a little, but hopefully I'll have a ranks page up sometime next week.

We could do a straight up points system, like the Midwest Circuit, or we could divide the ranks up into tiers, sort of like what MLG does with it's Pro, Semi-Pro, and Amateur rankings.

Something we could try out is to have an upper and lower tier based on points. The upper tier pays a higher entry fee while the lower pays a smaller fee. To counterbalance it, the lower tier players have to play through their own bracket first, with the top 2, 3, or 4 advancing to be seeded into the money bracket.

Placing in the upper tier bracket would also yield more rank points than the lower bracket.

What do you guys think? It won't happen this weekend, but if there's enough support I could work out the logistics for October's tourney.

Eci4

Smash Ace
Truthfully I would rather one price for everyone even if it is more expensive... I mean, i like the low prices what with the knowing I'll pretty much never get into the money the way I play now, but I'd rather pay the same amount than having an awkward system

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Things aren't looking up for me right now, no one wants to take my shift and by the time I get off, probably most of you guys will be gone by now. I should throw one, maybe thanksgiving weekend, or if you guys spring break is in april then it'll work out then.

Edit - Didn't see that two posts above me, my comp is craptastic today. I like it, it'll give people of low rank a reason to try to get better and become equal with some of the others. But yeah you should wait that out until the October's tourney, and try to get as many results from this tourney, the previous smashfest and the one that's coming up as well. To determine who you think will be low rank and high rank.

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
thats a good idea bluewolf try to set it up soon. just dont make us top teirs pay too much =P

eci4 money match my kirby for 2$? best 2 out of 3?

Splorky Fish

Smash Rookie
Genius idea, BlueWolf. It's good to see that you are quite dedicated to making these tournaments a success. I'm starting to think these biweeklies could be a major boost to the smash community around here, which seems fairly sparse compared to other regions.

Eci4

Smash Ace
annoying, 1:00 PM tommorow till end... seriously you can't say a tournament is going to take x amount of hours... and by the looks of it, there will be quite a few people there, so it could take a bit, and since it is singles/doubles, and who knows how many setups they actually have....

I'd say the earliest it could possibly end is around 6, but I dont really know...

Top Bottom