• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSE love it? hate it? you decide, scale of 1-20

billyandrocky

Smash Rookie
I enjoyed it. I really did. Got a bit repetitive. But had awesome cutscenes. Sakurai and his crew did a good job on it. 18/20

bump

Smash Cadet
12/20

It's ok, the videos are awsome, but the gampleay is lil bit boring for me. I "love" and"hate" it.

BTW: i need help @Sticker Problems-Thread (again :ohwell:).

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I really can't give the SEE a rating, It isn't good, but it isn't bad either. I think the only problem I found with the SSE was that it took me three freaking days to finish, and how you could only play certain characters at certain times before beating it. I thought the storyline was okay, but it would have been better for me if each individual character had their own stories to follow or something like that, however it was a step-up from Melee's adventure mode I'll tell you that.

NicIsNotANinja

Smash Cadet
10/10 for cutscenes and the fact they have built up a story line with absolutely no dialogue
5/10 for gameplay and i find it a bit boring and repetetive.

so i guess thats 15/20 xD

Pikminmaniac

Smash Cadet
I give it a 16/20. It's a decently well crafted platformer where you can play as 35 different characters. I loved some of the secrets and I liked it enough to complete it 100% and still want to catch all the enemies with the trophy stands.

LínkMã§TêR

Smash Apprentice
I'd give it a 7/20, the story itself was quite pointless and poorly executed, and the gameplay was so boring and reptitive to a stage where I was eventually forcing myself to keep playing. The cutscenes though were great, as well as the boss battles and I liked the concept of all the characters having their own stories then eventually teaming up.

Amide

Smash Lord
6. The story wasn't done well. But the cutscenes were somewhat well done. The gameplay, however. It was more repetitive than sleeping. It was the same thing over and over.

KUROK

Smash Cadet
SSE was kinda cool at first, lack of dialog made it kinda boring though. Major thumbs down on the great maze.

NicIsNotANinja

Smash Cadet
the gameplay was so boring and reptitive to a stage where I was eventually forcing myself to keep playing. .
I've found that too, infact i've had the game for about 5 days now and im still not done with it because i end up getting bored and playing some brawls or events. The only thing which keeps nme going is that i need it for toon link xD

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Good cutscenes, good hack and slash. Good environmental themes, although the traps and stuff seem a little uninspired. I also didn't really feel like I was accomplishing anything when I was cutting through the countless hordes of enemies. So there was a certain lack of atmosphere for me. The story didn't make any sense either, it just starts out of the blue and develops into random scenes and characters meeting eachother. Then at the end they all get together and beat a final boss.

I give Subspace a 11/20. 10 for the effort, 1 for everything else.

abcdark

Smash Rookie
SSE was a LOT more than I expected. It was really fun and interesting the first time playing through, but after having to play through the whole thing 3 times.. It's really repetitive and boring. Especially the Great Maze. The cutscenes were really amazing. I didn't think anyone expected the plot to be anything as complex as something like Final Fantasy..
yea what i said about final fantasy was that the sse wasnt anywhere near it and they are compleatly different i didnt actually think you could compare them

abcdark

Smash Rookie
would you give it a better rating if it didnt have the great maze? i think the great maze it doesnt have very hard puzzles and is very simple except it takes so long and is the same levels. its like a review from nintendo power

Foxtrotter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
msfoxtrott
Subspace Emissary was okay. Nintendo could have gone so further with the whole idea of a world-destroying force, but hyped it up so much that it could have kept my attention either way. I played through SSE the first day I got Brawl, and didn't even touch the actual Brawl mode until I had completed the whole storyline.

I would give it 12/20, but Tabuu is just so awesome it garners at 13/20. Add to that a tea party on the Halbred, and that's a 14/20.

MxGm

Smash Cadet
15/20
I honestly liked the gameplay, especially when your playing with a friend. But overall, it is just too repetitive and you have to force yourself to the end.

alrd

Smash Rookie
SSE Solo:
I can't rate it perfectly at this time because I've not finished the SSE. The gameplay is wonderful although it can get slightly tedious after awhile which stopped me from playing constantly. The story itself however so far, is decent. The cutscene's are wonderful, so far I love watching them. I still look forward to finishing the game. So far the SSE gets an outstanding 16/20 when played alone, however, the score could rise or fall seeing as I've not finished the SSE.

SSE Group:
When I played SSE with a friend, it was still really fun, the story & gameplay was alot faster obviously, but still enjoyable. Everything else was still the same.

However, playing as a group did get slightly boring, therefore lowering the score in a group 15.7/20.

Overall the SSE was fantastic, I'm looking forward to finishing it soon. And the overall score - 16.6/20.

4U2NV

Smash Rookie
17.. I think its good when your not up for a normal brawl and when you get a mate in there with you its seriously fun :) I played it with my friend and loved how if he went of screen it just teleported him back to me! Important imo cos it would be so annoying if you could cause each other’s deaths!

Liquid_Kai?

Smash Apprentice
Lol "epic story"

I dont really think so...

Their were a few good "lol" moments like when Lucario unboxes Snake and the trademark " ! " pops up but apart from those few moments and the clever links the story is poor.

Gameplay wise its extremly repetitive and like Melees adventure mode, it generally annoys the hell outta me every time i play it. You're forced to play as charicters you hate aka LUCAS GRRR.

Also, its too easy to unlock characters on SSE, it would feel more rewarding unlocking chars doing so many brawls.

Still, its not meant to be a in depth FF or a political MGS title, its Nintendo and its meant to be a fun add on to the brawling for those "casual" gamers Nintendo have so called them.

Personally i found that it wasnt that fun;
Id give it about 7/20.

hmmmmm, maybe i'm being a bit harsh on the little mode but i just didnt feel the "nintendo magic" of old. Ahhh well, i can play a few hardcore brawls with some mates then play some MGS to satisfy my gaming needs :D

Peck

Smash Apprentice
I didn't think the SSe was that good-plus i accidentally overwrote my 86% game-they should ask: Are you sure you wish to overwrtie this data?

Esoteric

Smash Apprentice
I found it to be pretty lame to be honest. The only reason I played it was to unlock the characters (yes I realize there were other ways but meh.)

5 out of 20.

16BitAlex

Smash Rookie
I'll elaborate on my review on SSE.

They make you use Nintendo's grade-Z rejects (Pit, Lucas, etc) before you get to the good stuff. They make the stages ten years long and make continue suck. They make the getting boss trophies part impossible nearly (I lucked out getting Gay Bald Blue Guy's trophy). Ridley sucks, I can't get to the battle on Very Hard/Impossible without continuing a billion times, I'll go burn a Metroid cartridge in protest. What Liquid_Kai? said but I couldn't see any positives in this mess of a game.

-20 / 20

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
10/20

Just boring, and repetitive. Nothing awfully terrible, but I really feel like the focus of this game should have been put more on characters and stages.

WouW

Smash Lord
7/20

The enemies are annoying, it is repetitive, and finished rather quickly. I unlocked all characters in two days. And Intense is extremely annoying.

CalebSitton

Smash Apprentice
it replaced adventure mode in melee like nothing, sticker system got confusing, the last level was just simply too long, cutscenes were funny at times,but the having the same song play over and over got old very easily,enemies were creative but should have been character related...oh i almost forgot it was good training with teaming up with a friend.

in overall i give it a 15/20. :)

Scarves

Smash Rookie
I'm easily satisfied. SSE isn't an exception. With a variety of characters and each and every one getting at least one major role in at least one level made me content with everything. The game was a bit annoying and frustrating at times, but I enjoyed exploring the entire level. It could've had a better plot, but I can't say much, seeing as I don't have one right now. :x

My score? 18/20.

British Geezer

Smash Cadet
6/20.

The saving grace of SSE is the plot. It's original, creative, suspenseful, and the only thing keeping it from scoring lower. The levels are tiresome and bland, most bosses are easy, and occasionally, there are parts that are near-impossible. The Great Maze was a terrible solution to the lack of depth in SSE. During it, I said "Why" a lot. Why do I have to replay everything? Why is it so boring? Why does the map not help a lot? And then comes the final boss, Tabuu. His one-hit KO attack and David Copperfield teleporting around the stage act combine to make fighting him too difficult to be any fun at all.

ETA: The music was quite pleasant, and matched each stage perfectly.

steel_bee

Smash Rookie
I give it a 13/20

I personally enjoyed it greatly, mostly for the cut-scenes (I am used to endlessly grinding my way through generic enemies as I play Dynasty Warriors). As a game mode of Smash Bros it is above average, having to repeat almost everything again in The Great Maze prevented it from scoring higher.

Link_in_park

Smash Ace
I'm not going to give SSE a number score, but I will say that I found it enjoyable, The Great Maze included. However, I don't want a sequel to SSE if (or more like when) another Smash Bros. game comes out.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
The Subspace Emissary...

Two player co-op was sort of fun. Everything else I disliked.

I was hoping for a sort of feeling where different Nintendo/Sega/Konami characters venture into other Nintendo/Sega/Konami characters' worlds, like Sonic jumping around in the Mushroom Kingdom or Fox on Planet Zebus, shooting Metroids and the like. Melee's adventure mode sort of gave you that feeling, and I was hoping they'd expand on it.

But what it felt like was Sora, LTD. took a handful of characters from a fighting game, plopped them down in a platforming world and created a bunch of generic enemies to fight against. I finished it a few months ago, and haven't played it since.

I'm not saying it's terrible, but it just tastes like a raw, uncooked steak: It could have been so much better. 11/20.

nwb

Smash Rookie
It was fun, the cutscenes were good, the story was pretty long and it's a big improvement from Melee's Adventure Mode where there was no story at all.

One disappointment for me is that not all characters have at least some involvement in the story. I think they tried to fit all of the characters into the story , but why not Toon Link, Jiggly, and Wolf? Why did this three was left out and instead, they were put behind secret doors on random stages and have no involvement in the story whatsoever?. I think it's better to have all the characters fit into the story (which is probably what they were going for considering that all the characters can be unlocked by playing SSE alone) but why did they left out these three? Did they just ran out of ideas or something? I'm sure they could've done better on the overall story.

In the end, I give The Subspace Emissary a 15/20

stratele

Smash Apprentice
At first I loved it. Amazing. As it went on, I lost intrest in the story. Got to confusing and stupid.

But I am still so impressed with the cutscenes.

I give it a 16/20

I hope something similar but better returns in the next SSB

Top Bottom