Q&A SSBU Mechanics & Techniques General

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Question:

What are all the moves in SUltimate that have both smash inputs(hard toss aka) vs soft inputs?

One example of this is :ultluigi:'s Green Missile. Another being SideB's that are hard tossed like :ultlink::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink:'s Boomerang or :ultsimon::ultrichter:'s Cross.
Just a couple from the characters that I play:
-:ultivysaur: Razor leaf (different speeds / distances depending on smash or tilt)
-:ultisabelle: fishing rod (two different lengths, but Smash is 99% of the time superior)
-:ultpikachu: and :ultpichu: Skull bash (distances are different)
-:ultdiddy: Banana goes different heights depending on smash or tilt

Last edited:

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
I am currently labbing out up throw to up air as a kill setup for Gunner, and I noticed that I can combo at a bigger percent range with fixed damage on. Is there any reason why that would happen?

Edit: I answered my own question. Gunner's up throw does less knockback because it has multiple hits.

Last edited:
NNID
User7a1
I found out while playing some matches with G&W that even though he cannot get a Judge number twice in a row, he technically can by losing a stock. By that, I mean the following sequence is true: Judge 9 -> Lose Stock -> Judge 9. Ordinarily, getting Judge 9 twice in a row would be impossible, but by losing a stock, G&W can pull Judge 1 without issues. This led me to believe that his Judge RNG resets for every stock loss (or, to put it in another way, each stock has their own RNG). I tested with Hero's Command Menu and found the same thing: you can get a spell twice in a row if the Hero loses a stock (say Zoom appears in the Menu. Hero loses a stock, then pulls up Menu to find Zoom again).

I think this belongs here since RNG with restrictions is a mechanic for both characters, but I could be wrong. But to make it short, the RNG restrictions with Judge and Command Menu reset after each stock loss. I'm ignoring what happens in Home Run Contest as that's specific programming to HRC.

Last edited:

Coccinelle

Smash Cadet
Playing Falco, I don't understand how to Fair drag down and follow. I saw a lot of players following with grab or Utillt, which is extremely useful. In my hand it does not work because my opponent always falls away after being hit by Fair. Could someone clarify the input?

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Playing Falco, I don't understand how to Fair drag down and follow. I saw a lot of players following with grab or Utillt, which is extremely useful. In my hand it does not work because my opponent always falls away after being hit by Fair. Could someone clarify the input?
It's worth noting that Falco's fair has one final hit that is stronger than the others and hits the opponent away, so to follow up you would want to land and end the attack before that final hit triggers. You'd land midway through the fair.