• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A SSBU Mechanics & Techniques General

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Question:

What are all the moves in SUltimate that have both smash inputs(hard toss aka) vs soft inputs?

One example of this is :ultluigi:'s Green Missile. Another being SideB's that are hard tossed like :ultlink::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink:'s Boomerang or :ultsimon::ultrichter:'s Cross.
Just a couple from the characters that I play:
-:ultivysaur: Razor leaf (different speeds / distances depending on smash or tilt)
-:ultisabelle: fishing rod (two different lengths, but Smash is 99% of the time superior)
-:ultpikachu: and :ultpichu: Skull bash (distances are different)
-:ultdiddy: Banana goes different heights depending on smash or tilt

Last edited:

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
I am currently labbing out up throw to up air as a kill setup for Gunner, and I noticed that I can combo at a bigger percent range with fixed damage on. Is there any reason why that would happen?

Edit: I answered my own question. Gunner's up throw does less knockback because it has multiple hits.

Last edited:
NNID
User7a1
I found out while playing some matches with G&W that even though he cannot get a Judge number twice in a row, he technically can by losing a stock. By that, I mean the following sequence is true: Judge 9 -> Lose Stock -> Judge 9. Ordinarily, getting Judge 9 twice in a row would be impossible, but by losing a stock, G&W can pull Judge 1 without issues. This led me to believe that his Judge RNG resets for every stock loss (or, to put it in another way, each stock has their own RNG). I tested with Hero's Command Menu and found the same thing: you can get a spell twice in a row if the Hero loses a stock (say Zoom appears in the Menu. Hero loses a stock, then pulls up Menu to find Zoom again).

I think this belongs here since RNG with restrictions is a mechanic for both characters, but I could be wrong. But to make it short, the RNG restrictions with Judge and Command Menu reset after each stock loss. I'm ignoring what happens in Home Run Contest as that's specific programming to HRC.

Last edited:

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
Playing Falco, I don't understand how to Fair drag down and follow. I saw a lot of players following with grab or Utillt, which is extremely useful. In my hand it does not work because my opponent always falls away after being hit by Fair. Could someone clarify the input?

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Playing Falco, I don't understand how to Fair drag down and follow. I saw a lot of players following with grab or Utillt, which is extremely useful. In my hand it does not work because my opponent always falls away after being hit by Fair. Could someone clarify the input?
It's worth noting that Falco's fair has one final hit that is stronger than the others and hits the opponent away, so to follow up you would want to land and end the attack before that final hit triggers. You'd land midway through the fair.

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone prefer handheld to tv setup with the joy cons?

i tried the tv setup earlier in the week and was much worse. Gsp fell from 7.1 to the mid 5s. Joycon slid out multiple times when I tried to utilt

feel like the two experiences should be about the same after 2-3 games?

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Does anyone prefer handheld to tv setup with the joy cons?

i tried the tv setup earlier in the week and was much worse. Gsp fell from 7.1 to the mid 5s. Joycon slid out multiple times when I tried to utilt

feel like the two experiences should be about the same after 2-3 games?
Joycons shouldn't be sliding out. That's faulty equipment.

rigmac97

Smash Rookie
As a casual, I had a hard time understanding the terminology, but as I got more serious with the metagame I grew to learn how to execute the techniques. I gotta admit tho, I still get my ass beat because other fighters are more experienced than I am. One of these techniques is edge guarding. The characters I main have some potential but the ones on this list are more viable, check it out. https://www.gamersdecide.com/articles/smash-ultimate-best-edge-guarding-characters

TheLobsterCopter5000

Smash Apprentice
Obscure mechanics: FCO Drift and Soft-hopping.

First, let me point out that, while I have no idea who originally discovered soft-hopping, I'm almost certain it wasn't me. However, I do believe I am the first person to discover FCO Drift.

FCO Drift (freefall carryover drift) is an obscure glitch/mechanic, which can potentially be detrimental to those who are unaware of it. As you probably know, during special fall (freefall) most fighters' air speeds (the fastest they can drift through the air) are noticeably lower than usual. As it turns out, this has an unusual effect on some fighters. If it's possible for a fighter to land after using their up special, before they enter freefall, and the animation for the up special does not continue upon landing, they will temporarily be placed in a glitched state. What this means is the next time they enter the air, either by jumping or running off an edge, their air speed will drop down to their freefall air speed after a few frames, and thus they will drift through the air slower than usual. This glitched state will persist until they land, grab a ledge or double jump. For many fighters, this will almost never trigger, but on Battlefield, Pikachu and Captain Falcon are particularly vulnerable to this. Here's a video I recorded a few weeks ago documenting it:
(Was just going to post just the video, but SB won't let me do that...)

Soft-hopping is a technique which is sort of similar to IDJ, but with different activation and applications. Technically, it's existed as early as Brawl, but had virtually no functionality prior to Ultimate. This is because prior to Ultimate, the only thing it did was allow you to bypass jumpsquat, but now, it allows you to perform a slower, floatier full hop, akin to full hops prior to Ultimate.

You can perform a soft-hop by running off an edge, any edge, and jumping immediately after doing so (there's a window of roughly 4 frames). And that's it. However, since this gives you a floatier full hop, it allows you to do 2 important things: firstly, it allows you to use aerials lower to the ground (or platform) without having to shorthop, which is also something that IDJ can be used for, and it allows you to get further out offstage without having to burn your double jump, due to increasing your air time.

Compared to IDJ, it won't burn up your double jump, so you don't have to fastfall and land to extend a combo, but it's more situational, since you have to run off an edge in order to use it. To be honest, I have no idea how useful this is, as I'm not a labber, and again, hardly anyone knows about this technique. Once again, here is a video in which I showcase it, which I posted earlier today:

I apologise for my terrible explanation skills, but I think the videos do a good job at showing the basic gist of what happens.

Push#7024

Smash Rookie
It seems advancing pivot grabs are a possibility in Ultimate's engine:

The user describes the inputs as follows:

1. Dash forward :GCL::ultgreninja:
2. Dash backward :GCR::ultgreninja:
3. Immediately after dashing backward, cstick forward+grab :GCCL::GCZ::ultgreninja:

As an aside, this was somewhat possible in Smash 4 as well, but it wasn't doable in a way that would preserve forward momentum:

My assumption is the loss of perfect pivoting enables the pivot grab to be performed 1~2 frames sooner in Ultimate, allowing one to avoid the loss of forward momentum. This seems like a good tool for characters with good pivot grabs and initial dashes, at any rate.
I'm not understanding how to do this. Any help or more resources for this move? Thanks

Top Bottom