• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*ssbo Thread Has Been Moved*

_kSo_

Smash Master
Look what I made yesterday :p

yup yup yup be sure to read everything. they are pretty hilarious :p

It's probably because he's been awfully quite recently and hasn't posted in forever, but why do I have that bad feeling that Carl's using this whole spring break to get M2K-ish in brawl?:(
Yea, thats what he's been doing. I've talked to him online a few times but only about smash (obviously mostly brawl). He sent me some old ssb64 videos of me vs Val0em.

In case you don't know val0em, he is arguably #1 on the east coast in ssb64. I think sensei ties with him because val0em can beat sensei 75% of time in tournament, but sensei does really well in tournament because apparently hes really, REALLY good at fighting kirbies (kirby in ssb64 = shiek + marth combined in ssbm...yea talk about your clash of cheapness)

Last edited:

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Look what I made yesterday :p

LOL! This is some awesome stuff! I'm unaware of the details of Magic, but I understood the humor.
I'd have to say that "Legendary Boy (?)" and "Tech Creature" and "Legendary Spammer" are my favorites.

"I couldn't approach heem kuz of fokhing nana was blee-zarding me" = priceless
Since it's on Kitsune's card, I'd imagine that "destroying X creatures" is pretty devestating
"Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to do..." LOL I think Jay's said this at least once everytime we've played!

I must admit, this IS a pretty hard regimen that your parents scheduled out for you over the break. So what class does this fall under anyways?:laugh:

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
rofl

I'm pretty much a combination of potentially extremely good and inviable. : paradox:

I approve of the designs. heh And I definitely lol'd at Maus's flavor text. Too good.

Vro

Smash Lord
lol, i got some of the jokes just from hanging out with you guys once.

Are you ever going to update this thread with results? I want to see my 3rd place failure. Also, are we doing this some time again?

DracoFox

Smash Ace
I wanted to update my code due to retardedness of this gay *coughasscough* cold.

***Corrected*** Brawl Code:4725-7612-0650

I realized it was messed up. I've been so f'n screwed over from this cold that I had really spent 37hrs sleeping for 3 days. That is usually the amount of hours i get per week! @-@ But this time, tis done in 3 days. Granted, I've had all this time to play Brawl while being sick and not working. I decided to play FFXI and reflect on how f'n ******** this cold is. Anyways, whens the next time we're having a hang out? I'm missing everyone all ready and cannot wait till you guys get back from spring break.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
I've been so f'n screwed over from this cold that I had really spent 37hrs sleeping for 3 days. That is usually the amount of hours i get per week! @-@ But this time, tis done in 3 days. Granted, I've had all this time to play Brawl while being sick and not working. I decided to play FFXI and reflect on how f'n ******** this cold is. Anyways, whens the next time we're having a hang out? I'm missing everyone all ready and cannot wait till you guys get back from spring break.
Oh please. You can give up this little charade of yours. You're just jealous that everyone else has a break, so you're playing sick to get out of having to work!

But ya, you guys, is the next tourney on the 22nd?

And is this tourney gonna be

Extremely Awesome:
1. everyone who shows up decides to participate
2. brawl is shoved into a little corner with just one setup
3. anthony actually decides to play friendlies
4. there's a post-tourney hang out at McD's

-OR-

Mediocre:
1. brawl is the main focus
2. prereqs. 1,3, and 4 of 'Extremely Awesome' are met

-OR-

Totally Sucky:
1. Draco decides to "grace us with his presence" by showing up:laugh:

*OMG!! Anthony made TWO posts in the SAME week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Oh please. You can give up this little charade of yours. You're just jealous that everyone else has a break, so you're playing sick to get out of having to work!

But ya, you guys, is the next tourney on the 22nd?

And is this tourney gonna be

Extremely Awesome:
1. everyone who shows up decides to participate
2. brawl is shoved into a little corner with just one setup
3. anthony actually decides to play friendlies
4. there's a post-tourney hang out at McD's

-OR-

Mediocre:
1. brawl is the main focus
2. prereqs. 1,3, and 4 of 'Extremely Awesome' are met

-OR-

Totally Sucky:
1. Draco decides to "grace us with his presence" by showing up:laugh:

*OMG!! Anthony made TWO posts in the SAME week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brawl will take over, do not resist.

DracoFox

Smash Ace
Brawl will take over, do not resist.
Oh its easy to resist. It's called work and FFXI. Oh ya, family too!

Honestly, Brawl can suck my right nut. Sure, go "Pro" in the game, I won't stop ya. Just don't use JOHNS like, "OMG I forgot I was dealing with a AOHELL modem to play Brawl that the 1-4 sec delay game play messed me up. ;-; I'm so doomed I forgot the stock of my favorite diapers are out and I'm wet."

Omg, how much did I hate for this game to come out. Its not about killing Melee, its what they did to the game. Okay, so the creator got his wish on getting it set for everyone is equal at battle. Sure, nice.... a **** 1 year old could beat you. If you won and took no % in the match, you want to know why? Cause you beat the crap outta the baby that was playing against you. Tsk tsk tsk... I cannot believe how much this game lost my attention when i took it home. Its sits there... Wheres my HAMMER?!?!?!

Here's what the hell they should of done.
1copy: FOR EVERYONE!!!! (which i am relating to everyone that plays Brawl)
2copy: FOR HARDCORE GAMERS!!!! (this is the one where you actually might have a better challenge at getting your butt kicked. personally, you wouldn't feel bad if you lost a "PRO" gamer than to a 4 year old.)

Oh ya, ditch this crap. I'm going back to playing FFXI.

_kSo_

Smash Master

Honestly, Brawl can suck my right nut. Sure, go "Pro" in the game, I won't stop ya. Just don't use JOHNS like, "OMG I forgot I was dealing with a AOHELL modem to play Brawl that the 1-4 sec delay game play messed me up. ;-; I'm so doomed I forgot the stock of my favorite diapers are out and I'm wet."

Omg, how much did I hate for this game to come out. Its not about killing Melee, its what they did to the game. Okay, so the creator got his wish on getting it set for everyone is equal at battle. Sure, nice.... a **** 1 year old could beat you. If you won and took no % in the match, you want to know why? Cause you beat the crap outta the baby that was playing against you. Tsk tsk tsk... I cannot believe how much this game lost my attention when i took it home. Its sits there... Wheres my HAMMER?!?!?!

2copy: FOR HARDCORE GAMERS!!!! (this is the one where you actually might have a better challenge at getting your butt kicked. personally, you wouldn't feel bad if you lost a "PRO" gamer than to a 4 year old.)

Don't worry, I'll play melee with you. :) i haven't played brawl yet, but I want to try it out because I have mixed opinions about the game

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Next SSBO should be Brawl Singles + Melee Singles

No one shows up for teams.

edit:

People still playing Melee:

Maus, KSO, Dracofox, CunningKitsune, and Goosefactor

lol

Brawl?

Everyone else in the entire world.

I'm pretty much done with Melee, I just wanted to be able to use practically every character at a competitive level...and I succeeded. Also, after playing Melee once recently, my tech skill seemed to remain the same, so I'll still enter Melee tournaments.
Main reason why I'm liking Brawl, it's fun and seems to have alot of potential. Lol @ it being easy and noob friendly. Me, Kirkq, and Joshu were rolling children at the tourney yesterday just as we would if it was a Melee tourney. Don't play it exactly how you would play Melee....that's how noobs do good against you. Tis a different game sirs. (when I first got it, my bro 2 stocked my Fox with Ike cause I was trying to play it like Melee- Dair combos, shining, double lasers, trying to grab combo, full jump nair appoarch, etc.).

Oh, and I love how Falco takes actual still to use now lol unless he's playing against someone he can chaingrab from 0 to 60/70% xD

There will be a time where no one "at all" will play Melee, just like Smash64. I'll be lolling your faces when you finally pick up Brawl when everyone else already has a lot of experience with the game.

edit2:

Smash wise for now, I'm just gonna "brawl" with Tim, Kirkq, Jay, and good people online as much as possible. I don't feel like sucking at the game when its competitive community becomes solid.

TerranMasse

Smash Cadet

So........does that mean your game is for sale.......let's say 50 cents?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Lol, I mean, I'll still help you all get better and what not, but it will be funny since it would show how you guys took so long to get with the times while playing a dying game.

Also, playing competitive now = a chance of being extremely good in the future. I mean, me and the others who got brawl and are playing are only a week ahead...that will turn into a month...then 6 months...then a year. I'm trying to give a "heads up" before you guys regret it. I mean, you can have fun attending those 7 man Melee tournaments for only so long.

edit:

Brawl is dumb. Me, Kirk, and the others just realized that not approaching and camping=win. We had a series of matches that all almost went to sudden death EACH. Aka, 7+ minutes a match.
Still gonna play Brawl though. I have to since it's the newer game people have moved on to.

DracoFox

Smash Ace
Complete edit: None of what I had originally put was ever needed to be said in this post. Please forgive me. I am very frustrated at the moment and I'm actually losing my own mind.

Yes, I'll be seeing you guys Saturday.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Cool info:

Characters that were supposed to be in Smash64:

Pit - Unknown, said to have been replaced by Captain Falcon
Mewtwo - Replaced by Jigglypuff
Peach - Unknown
Bowser - Data Constraints
King Dedede - Time Constraints

Characters that were supposed to be in Melee:

"These characters were actually intended to be in the game, but time constraints forced some those characters appear in Brawl, or in some cases, in a trophy:

Meta Knight (appeared as a trophy)
Lucas
Solid Snake
Sonic the Hedgehog

Also, these were in a dispute (along with Ice Climbers), to be a "classic" character to come back in Melee. So, they came back as a trophy:

Pit
Balloon Fighter "

Characters that were supposed to be in Brawl:

When the disc was hacked, the following characters were found partially programmed:

Dixie Kong
Toon Zelda/Sheik
"Pra & Mai"
Mewtwo
Roy
Dr. Mario

Imagine how dumb Mew2, Bowser, and DDD would look in 64 lol.

Imagine how good Snake would be with L-canceling in Melee, or Sonic's dashdancing.

Imagine how dumb it would be to have Dr. Mario again >_>
Toon Zelda would be cool...especially with Toon Sheik lol. CAN'T BELIEVE THEY TOOK OUT TOON SHEIK!!!
Pra and Mai would of been sweet too.

'Fro

Smash Lord
What? Carl, you absolutely sure about that? ****, dude, so the work I'm going to put into Luigi is gonna be a waste? Oh, well, if it all goes to camping hell, we could always play free-4-alls, all items on, Wario Ware, Flat Zone, and Pictochat only for laughs.

On the flip side, this camping vibe seems to be all the rage with Brawl in tourney-style play. The small Smash community on shoryuken.com are taking an "innocent until proven guilty" approach with items right now, banning anything that's proven (not assumed, but tested in tourneys) to be broken, overpowered, or random out of the game. We're talking about people who've dealt with broken stuff in fighting games since day one, and Alan can back me up on Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike's Chun-Li. Removing three quarters of what's possible in the game without even testing half of it seems kinda extreme.

I know that's what tournaments are used to being because of Melee, but that was a completely different animal. And come to think of it, did it really make the game balanced to put all those rules? I'm not saying leave all items and leves on (that would be nuts), but there has to be a rule set that can help Brawl get fleshed out a bit more the way Melee's rule set helped the Melee scene. I'm no expert (and anyone who's seen me play can tell you that), so I'll ask the experts to try to be open-minded about experimenting with Brawl in some new ways.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
What? Carl, you absolutely sure about that? ****, dude, so the work I'm going to put into Luigi is gonna be a waste? Oh, well, if it all goes to camping hell, we could always play free-4-alls, all items on, Wario Ware, Flat Zone, and Pictochat only for laughs.

On the flip side, this camping vibe seems to be all the rage with Brawl in tourney-style play. The small Smash community on shoryuken.com are taking an "innocent until proven guilty" approach with items right now, banning anything that's proven (not assumed, but tested in tourneys) to be broken, overpowered, or random out of the game. We're talking about people who've dealt with broken stuff in fighting games since day one, and Alan can back me up on Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike's Chun-Li. Removing three quarters of what's possible in the game without even testing half of it seems kinda extreme.

I know that's what tournaments are used to being because of Melee, but that was a completely different animal. And come to think of it, did it really make the game balanced to put all those rules? I'm not saying leave all items and leves on (that would be nuts), but there has to be a rule set that can help Brawl get fleshed out a bit more the way Melee's rule set helped the Melee scene. I'm no expert (and anyone who's seen me play can tell you that), so I'll ask the experts to try to be open-minded about experimenting with Brawl in some new ways.
Nice, thoughtful post- something that is a rarity on this thread!:laugh: Have you been to the tournaments? Your name doesn't sound familiar to me....

That being said, though, I sill don't see items coming around in this game. But hey, who cares?! It's brawl!!:laugh: Just messin' you guys. I don't want to start a civil war here.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
No, were just not bothering to approach the other person, not taking the risk to "quickly" finish of someone (cause you can't if they're camping). I guess the stale moves I was using were...lasers? lol

Play one of us and you will see. We shouldn't get any lag using Purdue's wifi.

_kSo_

Smash Master
So, funny story.

my friend told me that he had brawl over spring break and he said that he played it like every day and that he was pretty good at it.

So i told him I had never played it and asked him how it was. and he said it was pretty kickass.

then i was like money match??

and he said that he thought he would have an edge kuz he played it already but then he remembered that I played melee and 64. he just bet $0.25. I played him and 3-0 him.

Then another person who had played it for a while and thought he could be beat me kuz he was doing "decent" against me in ffa, and then he managed to win a free for all and I did my usual, "money match??" and he accepted.

this guy bet a dollar, so it was worth it. i still beat the crap outa him tho. which was awesome.

I made $1.25 playing brawl already, which is pretty good kuz i've been playing for one day lolz

Kadian

Smash Apprentice
Hey Carl, how was that big tourney at McCutcheon(?) ? I don't imagine many peoples were any good, and they were using rules-so-terrible-it's-funny. Ah, good times.

My thoughts on Brawl: well, it's really fun, hands down. As far as the competative scene is concerned, each stock lasts very long. Probably related to Carl mentioned camping throughout matches, Brawl overwhelmingly favors the defender and projectile spammer. Grabbing does not punish sheilding enough, it's harder to KO across the board, stun recovery is quicker -> less combos, and the new edge properties make it extremely difficult to edgeguard or edgehog, so much that you're much more at risk of death to perform successful edgeguard techniques, at least from what I've seen. All this leads to extremely long matches.

I've seen these topics discussed elsewhere, and I've seen one sensible solution: reduce # of stock per match. 2 stock sounds scary, but 3 stock often last too long. The right stock number also depends on the neutral stage list we all will eventually agree opon, but I think the right tournament match stock number is 2 or 3.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
KSO:
Money match me, Lavos, Sage, Tim, Maus, or Kirkq :p

Btw, Sage, me, and Lavos beat CunningKitsune's Brawl Marth.

Kadian:

The tourney was actually pretty fun. Seeing Lavos lose to a random noob, Sage doing well for once, and Kirk+me+Joshu 3 stocking everyone = lol

'Fro

Smash Lord
Nice, thoughtful post- something that is a rarity on this thread!:laugh: Have you been to the tournaments? Your name doesn't sound familiar to me....

That being said, though, I sill don't see items coming around in this game. But hey, who cares?! It's brawl!!:laugh: Just messin' you guys. I don't want to start a civil war here.
I've been to a three of them, and a some here might remember me as an upstart Mario player. Best I did was placing fourth once after losing to a Marth (Draco Fox I believe).

I was at the McCutcheon thing as well, maining Luigi. I thought it was fun. I probably would have gone MUCH farther had I not lost my head in the last moment of a match (jumped into a smash)..... I wanted to play Carl or Josh so bad (and Kirk, I think once with your Marth is enough for a scrub like me. :laugh:)

_kSo_

Smash Master
KSO:
Money match me, Lavos, Sage, Tim, Maus, or Kirkq :p

I dun think I'm gonna money match people who are actually good lololol

I only money matched those two guys kuz they were friggin terrible and I knew it too :p

I still like melee and ssb64 better. Who knows, maybe when you teach me how to play brawl, i'll like it better lolz

goosefactor

Smash Lord

I still like melee and ssb64 better.
Nice. So does this mean I can expect some massive 1v1 friendly melee matches with you on saturday? I already know Adam's up for it since he made it pretty clear that he was....uh....upset with brawl....(I wonder if he ever found that hammer).:laugh:

_kSo_

Smash Master
Nice. So does this mean I can expect some massive 1v1 friendly melee matches with you on saturday? I already know Adam's up for it since he made it pretty clear that he was....uh....upset with brawl....(I wonder if he ever found that hammer).:laugh:

yes that's exactly what it means lol

although beating on noobs in brawl is fun (aka ppl at my frat :p lolz)

but yea I haven't played with anybody "good" yet besides kitsune

ac_burito

Smash Journeyman
hey guys its been awhile. i just wanted to make a post letting yall know that i wont be coming to the tourney on saturday and unfortunately not making it to mcjohnalds either...but i was curious mainly this is for anthony or kirk or anyone else in tarkington.

I was curious if you guys needed an extra setup...if so i wouldnt mind dropping my tv and gamecube off for you guys to use if you wanted i could drop it off before friday and pick it up on sunday and yes anthony this time i WILL pick it up on sunday instead of making you hold onto it for like weeks haha but yeah let me know if any of you guys would be up for that

goosefactor

Smash Lord
"SSBO XV: March 22st - West Lafayette, IN - Purdue University Bi-Weeklies ".......22st......LOL:p

_kSo_

Smash Master
"SSBO XV: March 22st - West Lafayette, IN - Purdue University Bi-Weeklies ".......22st......LOL:p

LOL shut up i'll update it later

btw me and carl talked about smash today and agreed that brawl should have come first, followed by ssb64 and then melee

too bad it didn't end up being like that.

but i cant wait to play ssb64 on wii with updated graphics :p

I wish brawl came out first, then melee, then ssb64, so everybody would be into ssb64 right now lol.
quote for truth

*UPDATE*

SSBO XV is scheduled for Saturday, March 29th. This weekend there are too many people going home, so we decided to change it.

Thank you for your understanding. Sorry for the late update.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
SSBO XV is scheduled for Saturday, March 29th. This weekend there are too many people going home, so we decided to change it.
:mad::mad::mad:

Ugh...I was so pumped for this weekend too! I was looking forward to hanging out with you guys during and after the tourney. Plus with everyone else drooling over brawl, I was even more pumped to play you and draco in melee 1v1's. Hmmm. That sucks.:(

**Kirk, if you're coming back, we can hang out again if you want to. Just lemme know.

Top Bottom