• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 vs Brawl graphics comparison

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace

Just to discuss something. Smash is finally in HD and I really like this game's graphics, but I've seen people say this game's graphics are worse than Brawl's. Brawl's graphics were amazing for a Wii game, but I feel SSB4's are way better and colorful. What do you think?

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Just makes you remember how insanely detailed the Brawl models were for their time and hardware

That being said, I'm amazed that they managed to make Kirby look better

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
Just makes you remember how insanely detailed the Brawl models were for their time and hardware

That being said, I'm amazed that they managed to make Kirby look better

Yeah, Brawl's graphics were great for its time. The only complaint I have is that they're a bit dull, I think they aimed at making it like Twilight Princess graphic-wise.

By the way: Pikachu has been losing weight since the N64 days :laugh:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Brawl's models are more detailed in some places (especially apparent in Mario's case), but SSB4's are much cleaner and more colorful. You could say they're simplified.

I really like this new art direction! The only one I'm not all that happy with is Samus. Her suit was so shiny in Brawl, but it looks a little dull and faded here...

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
Brawl's models are more detailed in some places (especially apparent in Mario's case), but SSB4's are much cleaner and more colorful. You could say they're simplified.

I really like this new art direction! The only one I'm not all that happy with is Samus. Her suit was so shiny in Brawl, but it looks a little dull and faded here...

Really? I think it looks shinier in SSB4, maybe it's just me... The only character design I don't like is Fox's, he appears to be unchanged except for the brighter colors.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Nice thread. I really like the new art direction. The characters look truer to their appearances in their own games (like Bowser).

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
Nice thread. I really like the new art direction. The characters look truer to their appearances in their own games (like Bowser).

Bowser finally looks like the REAL Bowser instead of the godzilla-like monster he appeared to be in Brawl, hopefully they will give him his real voice too.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
If someone claims SSB4 has "worse" graphics than Brawl show them the DK and Link comparisons. So good.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
This new art direction is pretty much what I wished to see. Taking cue from Brawl, but retaining the characters' looks and appearances from their games. Mario seems less grumpy pokerface this time.

Kirby looks pretty lighted and "gumballish" though, hope they reduce the lighting on him a bit so he doesn't look bit too saturated in certain stages (like that boxing arena.)

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I think the difference in more apparent in art style than anything. The colors are more vibrant here. In Brawl's the visuals are more gritty. The differences in models are most apparent in DK, Samus and Kirby.

I like SSB4's style more personally.

I will miss Samus's old suit though.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Mario's overalls still have really nice fine detail. It's just harder to see because the blue is much brighter.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Anybody else really hating bowser's eyes? The irises are way small, and it looks like he's in some perpetual state of shock or something....

micegoose

Smash Rookie
I'm glad Samus doesn't look yellow like in Other M. In the dev commentary Sakurai was talking about how they refined it a bit.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
This new art direction is pretty much what I wished to see. Taking cue from Brawl, but retaining the characters' looks and appearances from their games. Mario seems less grumpy pokerface this time.

Kirby looks pretty lighted and "gumballish" though, hope they reduce the lighting on him a bit so he doesn't look bit too saturated in certain stages (like that boxing arena.)
It looks like Brawl's art, but with saturated and vibrant colors. I like it a lot and gave me a very good impression of the game in the trailer.

In fact, Link's look is the same as Brawl (and TP), but colored like Skyward Sword's Link (meaning more vivid coloring).

Spire

III
BRoomer
They look the very best right now. Not a single character took a fall—I'm loving the Wii U's shaders.

Looking at Link's sheaths, the thought just occurred: Link can sheath his sword in the Legend of Zelda games. What if he could in Smash, and furthermore, what if he could execute the mortal draw?

I would like to set up a Link comparison analogy:

64 Link : Brawl Link :: Melee Link : SSB4 Link

Link in 64 and Melee were based on OoT Link, whereas Link in Brawl and SSB4 is based on TP Link. 64 Link was a lower-quality rip from OoT while Brawl Link was more or less identical to TP Link (there were some changes). Melee improved on 64's Link while SSB4 improves on Brawl's Link.

Also: anyone complaining about SSB4's graphics do so with a textural bias. The character models are without a doubt better, being much higher-poly. Their textures are actually higher-resolution as well. Those that prefer Brawl prefer that gritty textural aesthetic to Smash 4's vibrant, smoother look.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I love how much DK looks like DK in this game.

In 64, well... graphics weren't that good. In Melee he looked really strange.
In Brawl he looked pretty good! But now he looks even better, crazy. o_O

I wish he would look like that in Tropical Freeze too, lol.

Spire

III
BRoomer
DK Looks like DK from Tropical Freeze, ya know, with all that fuzziness. Helps cement him with a degree of consistency.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
I love how much DK looks like DK in this game.

In 64, well... graphics weren't that good. In Melee he looked really strange.
In Brawl he looked pretty good! But now he looks even better, crazy. o_O

I wish he would look like that in Tropical Freeze too, lol.

Yeah, now it looks like he has real fur instead of the not-as-convincing fur texture he had in Brawl.

Luigi player

Smash Master
DK Looks like DK from Tropical Freeze, ya know, with all that fuzziness. Helps cement him with a degree of consistency.
Eh, not really. In TF he looks like in DKCR, which doesn't look like his former self that much.
He has really long arms and his forearms are really big. He's also kinda thin. It was never like that before. This started at the bongo game I think?
I also think in the DKCR/TF games his fur doesn't even look as good as it did in Brawl...

Since Rare is gone everything DK related (characterlooks-wise) looks worse. I'm glad he looks more like himself in Smash at least.

number90901

Smash Rookie
When you can make a pink ball look even better, than you've done a good job. Kirby looks so vibrant and bright, as does everyone else. But Kirby is my main, so I'm biased.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think it's important to distinguish between "art direction" and "graphics". People seem to intertwine the two together. I think the art direction looks fantastic for the most part. However, I am a bit disappointed in the "graphics". Granted, the final copy is still a bits away, but I would like to see some more textures and details on the character models. Haven't really paid much attention to the stages though.

For example, while Smash 4's characters' clothes look a bit more "free flowing", the reduction in detail is there. Mario's overalls are just..."plain". Link is missing some finer touch ups and details as well. DK has more "fuzz", but we saw how the jump up from PS2 to PS3 was. If the Wii is "Xbox" in terms of graphic prowess, and the Wii U is the 360, I expect there to be more details put in.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Really, you think Tiny Kong looks worse now? Not like she was a good design to begin with, but that's definitely an improvement imo. Kinda miss the one-piece, but she looks more believable now. Her anatomy yields better characterization and she looks less like a low-quality 90s CG character a la Veggietales.

@ theboredone — pretty sure the Wii was a step-up from the Xbox, because the Wii U is definitely better than the 360. It's on par, if not slightly better than the PS3 even.

Look at this:

While from afar, Link looks less "detailed" that's because detail is something you appreciate when you get close to something. Look at his hair. Look at the texture of his fabric. Look how many individual links are in his chainmail. Look at the curvature of the scabbard's metal. Now, look way off in the distance at the floating islands and the clouds among them. Pretty sure SSB4 surpasses the Xbox 360 and Brawl by far.

Now at the same time, there are some "really?" moments. Let's look at Samus:

Her pauldrons look a little stretched, maybe its the ovular insets. Along with clipping through her right upper arm, the black trim is looking 'wobbly' for lack of a better term on that same arm. Makes the metal look less like it was built with those shapes, and instead has black lines painted on—which is a super outdated technique. I dig her design overall, but if when you examine closely you see some major flaws like that, it looks amateur.

Donghae

Smash Apprentice
Really, you think Tiny Kong looks worse now? Not like she was a good design to begin with, but that's definitely an improvement imo. Kinda miss the one-piece, but she looks more believable now. Her anatomy yields better characterization and she looks less like a low-quality 90s CG character a la Veggietales.

@ theboredone — pretty sure the Wii was a step-up from the Xbox, because the Wii U is definitely better than the 360. It's on par, if not slightly better than the PS3 even.

Look at this:

While from afar, Link looks less "detailed" that's because detail is something you appreciate when you get close to something. Look at his hair. Look at the texture of his fabric. Look how many individual links are in his chainmail. Look at the curvature of the scabbard's metal. Now, look way off in the distance at the floating islands and the clouds among them. Pretty sure SSB4 surpasses the Xbox 360 and Brawl by far.
it will look even better when its completely finished :) cant wait to see the final results

Luigi player

Smash Master
I guess Tiny's an exception. She looks good, but making her so tall is really strange and I wouldn't support that ever. It looks really out of character. She should be Tiny...
(although I didn't like her that much in the first place and I'm really happy they're bringing back Dixie now).

The worst ones are imo K. Rool and Candy Kong. They look so bad. But that's alI opinion anyway.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
As nice as it looks, it's kinda funny to say we're impressed by graphics on par with those that came out seven years ago on PS3.

As much of a Nintendo fanboy I am, I kinda fear Wii U may be Nintendo's last home console. I do understand the Dreamcast comparisons people are making.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Fox is the only one that looks worse to me. The brighter colors just don't fit with him.

but other than that, they all look fine. Samus probably looks the best. More sharp looking and less bulky.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
As much of a Nintendo fanboy I am, I kinda fear Wii U may be Nintendo's last home console. I do understand the Dreamcast comparisons people are making.
After Nintendo's showing at this year's E3, I don't know how anyone could say that. Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Sonic Lost World, Wind Waker HD, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Super Smash Bros. These are some huge system seller games. Smash Bros. was even the most popular game at E3, rivaled only by Kingdom Hearts 3.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
As nice as it looks, it's kinda funny to say we're impressed by graphics on par with those that came out seven years ago on PS3.

I don't really understand this kind of doomsaying given that the Wii itself was an absolutely massive success and, if I recall correctly, sold the most consoles out of all 3 last gen.

Nintendo can still turn the WiiU around quite easily, and even if it performs poorly it's hardly like they will simply abandon the console hardware business.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Just from a technical standpoint, baked in lighting is practically non-existent. Things look a lot softer and more natural.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394

Not at all. Even if we ignore the recently shown library of games coming and assume that the console will flop(Lets say less than 10 million sold), Nintendo would still have so much ****ing money that they could afford to flop five more times.

Lets not forget that the 3DS is selling like hotcakes atm(Over 30 mill sold by Q1 this year) and that they made so much bank with the DS and Wii.

Top Bottom