• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Uncredited. Contractor.

Happens all the time.
You know what else happens all the time? People lying about projects they're involved in when they're under an NDA.

Sure, he could be uncredited, but you have no evidence to back up that claim. He could be lying about his involvement in Smash and his 'mistake,' but I don't have any solid evidence for that either. So really it's up to the individual to decide what to make of this.

Last edited:

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
You know what else happens all the time? People lying about projects they're involved in when they're under an NDA.

Sure, he could be uncredited, but you have no evidence to back up that claim. He could be lying about his involvement in Smash and his 'mistake,' but I don't have any solid evidence for that either. So really it's up to the individual to decide what to make of this.
When one looks at the context of the interview it's discussing motion capture. It is unlikely in itself that Raiden's VO would be replaced and now we have an amended article that not only corrects the mistake but also makes more sense with the correction.

For PSASBR most of the motion actors were uncredited, but we do know it was done in California which is where this actor lives.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
When one looks at the context of the interview it's discussing motion capture. It is unlikely in itself that Raiden's VO would be replaced and now we have an amended article that not only corrects the mistake but also makes more sense with the correction.
Okay.
For PSASBR most of the motion actors were uncredited, but we do know it was done in California which is where this actor lives.
Lot's of other people live in California. Stunt people too, California's kinda well-known for that sort of thing.

And again, he could be lying. It's not unheard of.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Okay.

Lot's of other people live in California. Stunt people too, California's kinda well-known for that sort of thing.

And again, he could be lying. It's not unheard of.
He could be, but he probably isn't. It would be strange of him to claim credit for work he didn't actually do, especially because there's a good chance it'll be uncovered.

It is up to people to decide sure, but let's not pretend both events are equally likely. You have somebody discussing in the context of mocap playing Raiden in a game without mocap which he could easily (as an actor performing a minor role) have confused with something else. This is on top of the idea that they would hire a VA replacement. One side vastly outweighs the other in terms of likelihood and there's no reason for anybody to decide they believe it's a lie simply because there's a small chance he might be lying.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Fair enough. I'll concede, it's more likely that his original statement was just a slip of the tongue. The sudden rush to correct the interview smells of a hurried cover-up to me, but that's just me and there's no concrete evidence behind it.

I still think Snake's coming back, though.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Well one things for sure, mr langdon is never gonna want to hear the words smash bros ever again after how much his feed probably blew up lol.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I don't want Raiden... He was tarnished by PSABR.
Raiden won't be in SSB4. That would be a 2nd 3rd party character from Konami, and why would Snake be cut for Raiden?

This was just a misunderstanding that the SSB rumor community ran with because there's nothing else interesting happening right now.

Ta1nted_4ngel29

Smash Ace
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
There's also the case of actors that instead of being uncredited, they use a pseudonym (or alias) instead.

FE: Awakening also has this with Male Morgan's voice actor Todd Haberkorn being credited as Todd Stone.
Yeah, Ruben Langdon DOES use the pseudonym "Justin Cause"...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Guys I am voicing Kamek in SSBU. You guys are way off base the only Raider in the game is the one from Mortal Kombat. :troll:

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
You guys are desperate. It was clearly a slip up. There is no way Raiden is in Smash even if Snake is.

edit: I meant as a playable character

Last edited:

Taojaz

Smash Cadet
The thing is one of the PSASBR devs said a while ago all Raiden's animations were ripped directly from his games, and there's no crediting for Raiden mocap in the credits even though other character's mocaps are credited. I think this might just be a quick coverup.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Don't ya love when people come after the fact and declare everyone fools once its said and done rather then when nobody knew?
Even if this had been true, Raiden would only even be remotely possible as an assist trophy.

I can understand Krystal's VO reveal being worthy of speculation because she was a prominent character in the SF universe, but Raiden?

He starred in a MGS game that never went to a Nintendo platform and his criteria for inclusion was tenuous at best. "He was a skin in a skateboarding game that was released on the GC!" is just about the worst reasoning imaginable for his inclusion.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Even if this had been true, Raiden would only even be remotely possible as an assist trophy.

I can understand Krystal's VO reveal being worthy of speculation because she was a prominent character in the SF universe, but Raiden?

He starred in a MGS game that never went to a Nintendo platform and his criteria for inclusion was tenuous at best. "He was a skin in a skateboarding game that was released on the GC!" is just about the worst reasoning imaginable for his inclusion.

If Raiden turns out to be playable, it'll be because Sakurai couldn't think of a real WTF character this time around and decided to cop-out... (seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt this will happen, though).
Most people were just treating it as a confirmation that since Raiden's going to have a voice in sm4sh, that basically confirms the return of snake.
Well, at least me and the others i knew at the time were.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Most people were just treating it as a confirmation that since Raiden's going to have a voice in sm4sh, that basically confirms the return of snake.
Well, at least me and the others i knew at the time were.
As long as no one was afraid of playable Raiden...

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
There are things still up in the air though. Regardless, Raiden could still very well appear (though I'd expect his role to be very minimal to trophy/sticker status). Similarly, we don't know **** about Snake -- his fate is unknown . Even taken the Kojima interview into account, we still don't know what's going on and many people are conflicted. Some people immediately assumed Snake's cut, while others have their doubts, which is understandable.

Anyway, this leak has been a very interesting ride.

And do people really think Raiden will be playable? Especially in favour over Snake? I haven't even seen anyone say this... maybe I missed some posts but still...

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
The thing is one of the PSASBR devs said a while ago all Raiden's animations were ripped directly from his games, and there's no crediting for Raiden mocap in the credits even though other character's mocaps are credited. I think this might just be a quick coverup.
Smash doesn't use mocap as far as I know. And they wouldn't mocap an assist trophy or background element. The only conclusion is that if the guy is right about it being Smash Bros then apparently Smash Bros uses mocap (which is extremely weird) and Raiden is a playable character or featured prominently (like a boss perhaps) -- which doesn't really seem likely. I could see Raiden being a newcomer (Maybe Kojima asked Sakurai to have Raiden instead of Snake) but I just doubt that what this guy was referring to was Smash and not PSASBR. A lot of these people aren't huge gamers like us. They just do it for the paycheck.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Wait, I haven't checked this thread in weeks. Did Snake just get confirmed?
No, Raiden's voice actor said he did some voice acting for SSB and something else, I havent been paying too close attention. People think Raiden/Snake is now confirmed but I dont think its true yet

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Smash doesn't use mocap as far as I know. And they wouldn't mocap an assist trophy or background element. The only conclusion is that if the guy is right about it being Smash Bros then apparently Smash Bros uses mocap (which is extremely weird) and Raiden is a playable character or featured prominently (like a boss perhaps) -- which doesn't really seem likely. I mean c'mon guys. I could see Raiden being a newcomer (Maybe Kojima asked Sakurai to have Raiden instead of Snake) but I just doubt that what this guy was referring to was Smash and not PSASBR. A lot of these people aren't huge gamers like us. They just do it for the paycheck.
In the original interview, the word "play" was used earlier in the when regarding Ken and Dante, so people thought that he meant voice acting. But it changed to mo cap halfway through or something. (he also said smash bros. so that's why we all freaked out) He still said that it was a much smaller role than in other games, so most people thought codec/assist trophy.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
In the original interview, the word "play" was used earlier in the when regarding Ken and Dante, so people thought that he meant voice acting. But it changed to mo cap halfway through or something. (he also said smash bros. so that's why we all freaked out) He still said that it was a much smaller role than in other games, so most people thought codec/assist trophy.
And by extension, the confirmation of anything Metal Gear in SSB4 would then consequently confirm Snake's return.

Join us next week as Intelligent Systems make an ambiguous comment on which Fire Emblem: Awakening character has made the Smash cut.

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
where is the interview so I can read it myself. And if you've got links to him backtracking that would be most helpful!

edit: Found the interview. Guys there is no conspiracy here. :/

I did end up playing him on PlayStation All-Stars (*amended at the request of Mr.Langdon); so I actually did kind of end up playing him eventually (* Amended- Reuben here is referring to playing Raiden in Mocap- not as a voice actor). But NOT to the extent that he exists in the other games.
Seems pretty clear to me. Why would he be doing mocap for Smash Bros. Makes no sense.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
where is the interview so I can read it myself. And if you've got links to him backtracking that would be most helpful!
Ooh, linky time.
The original quote from the important question is here, thanks to swampasaur.
"Is there a game franchise you'd particularly like to appear in?

Let me think about that. Well the Metal Gear series is always coming in and out of my ‘field’. We have put bids out on it a couple of times. Raiden was always a character that I had wanted to play. I did end up playing him on Super Smash Bros; so I did end up playing him eventually. NOT to the extent that he is in the other games.

Really I can’t think of any others, I don’t know. Im so lucky to have work on all the major franchises that anyone could possibly work on or even dream to work on.

Oh, Portal. Is that possible even?! (laughing)

I just feel blessed with all the video game opportunities I’ve had chance to partake in, so I feel like I’ve got it pretty well covered."
This is the article, post editing.
This is the backtracking article.
This is a picture of Sakurai's cat. Adorable.
I think that's it.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Ooh, linky time.
The original quote from the important question is here, thanks to swampasaur.

This is the article, post editing.
This is the backtracking article.
This is a picture of Sakurai's cat. Adorable.
I think that's it.
So, he said Playstation All-Stars. Shouldn't that end the discussion here? He got the games mixed up, not a big deal.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
So, he said Playstation All-Stars. Shouldn't that end the discussion here? He got the games mixed up, not a big deal.
I believe the argument in place was that he did not mix them up, and accidentally spoiled that he has a role in Sm4sh. The backtracking was apparently proof that he ****ed up, and needed to fix it to not violate an NDA. I personally think that it's a big stretch, but still not impossible.

Shroob

Sup?
I believe the argument in place was that he did not mix them up, and accidentally spoiled that he has a role in Sm4sh. The backtracking was apparently proof that he ****ed up, and needed to fix it to not violate an NDA. I personally think that it's a big stretch, but still not impossible.
I myself think it's a stretch. He most likely just got the two games mixed up. Hell, the majority of people I talk to call PSASBR "Sony Smash Bros."

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I myself think it's a stretch. He most likely just got the two games mixed up. Hell, the majority of people I talk to call PSASBR "Sony Smash Bros."
He's also never voiced Raiden before, so picking him up to voice him in the new smash wouldn't make much sense.
If he was in he'd probably used recycled lines like gray fox, slash a few times then disappear, He can't do much else.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
If he lied about mocap on PSASBR surely it would have been called out by now? It's been a while since the amendment... Someone should contact Sony Santa Monica or whoever owns PSASBR now for clarification...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom