• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I'm pretty sure if he accidentally revealed that he was in Smash, in an interview that he links to on his twitter, he would be contacted by Nintendo, and wouldn't leave the interview up and act so casual. It's a big deal to leak something like that, especially since it's all over the internet (search google). I dunno, just the fact that nothing has been deleted makes it seem like a mistake.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Interesting... It's within the ream of what is believable to me for Nintendo not to be aware of this just yet, but either way shutting it down would give it more credibility, so... better to leave it as a rumor no? Especially when no one is sure one way or the other.

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
I think people are putting a huge effort into interpreting the interview in ways that are not the most likely. I highly doubt Reuben was changing his meaning of the word "play" mid-thought. He's talking about voice acting the whole way through. As Muster mentioned (and as far as I'm aware), Raiden doesn't have big, playable roles in many games. So, when Reuben said that he played Raiden to a lesser extent than the character has been in previous games, I'm sure he means in terms of voice work. And that makes sense, since Raiden's consistent voice actor didn't do the job. Then again, Sean Schemmel didn't voice Lucario in Brawl, so that might be worth thinking about.

I don't think Nintendo or Sakurai would know about this yet. This rumour news hasn't exactly spread very far as yet. But if anything in the interview changes, we'll have our answer. I'm just glad the information was caught before anything could have been changed and, as a result, denied.

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
To me at least, saying that he played Raiden in Super Smash Bros. is a clear indicator that whatever work he may have done, whether it be voice or motion capture, was a long time ago, most likely during Brawl's development. His mention of the series is off the cuff more than anything, which it wouldn't be if his work on it was more recent.

I think the mostly likely scenario with that in mind, is that he recorded lines for a Codec conversation or an assist trophy, but it was scrapped or never fully came to fruition. Since he doesn't appear to be an avid gamer, he might not have realised that his dialogue never made it into the actual game.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
To me at least, saying that he played Raiden in Super Smash Bros. is a clear indicator that whatever work he may have done, whether it be voice or motion capture, was a long time ago, most likely during Brawl's development. His mention of the series is off the cuff more than anything, which it wouldn't be if his work on it was more recent.

I think the mostly likely scenario with that in mind, is that he recorded lines for a Codec conversation or an assist trophy, but it was scrapped or never fully came to fruition. Since he doesn't appear to be an avid gamer, he might not have realised that his dialogue never made it into the actual game.
I don't know... we're pretty aware at this point of the things that were scrapped from Brawl, and that in particular seems like something so minor that I can't think of any reason it would've been removed.

This game is slated to release this year, so I imagine any VA work, especially for minor things, could possibly have been taken care off already.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I love it how someone makes a ambiguous comment, and everyone's all over it.

Anyway, it sounds like he recorded lines for Smash, but that could be a playable character, assist trophy or codec. But that's already been stated above. But in any case, it means Konami is being represented in Smash.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm pretty sure if he accidentally revealed that he was in Smash, in an interview that he links to on his twitter, he would be contacted by Nintendo, and wouldn't leave the interview up and act so casual. It's a big deal to leak something like that, especially since it's all over the internet (search google). I dunno, just the fact that nothing has been deleted makes it seem like a mistake.
It would be more suspicious if they did that, if it disappeared I would be almost certain is was real.

Also, Hayter did reveal Jigglypuff in an interview before Brawl was released, and they didn't do anything about that.

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
I don't know... we're pretty aware at this point of the things that were scrapped from Brawl, and that in particular seems like something so minor that I can't think of any reason it would've been removed.

This game is slated to release this year, so I imagine any VA work, especially for minor things, could possibly have been taken care off already.
There are a few possible reasons why it might have been removed:

1) Sakurai has stated many times that characters might be cut due to time constraints. I bet he uses the same thought process for assist trophies/stages/items etc.

2)
Quoted from Sakurai himself: "Or there's places when I wanted to implement some character, but the image for how it works in the game just never comes to fruition.Or there's places when I wanted to implement some character, but the image for how it works in the game just never comes to fruition." Again, this can easily be applied to assist trophies as well.

3)
PlayStation All-Stars might have already locked him in at this point, and due to contracts and such, he might have been forced out of Brawl, like how Sony weren't allowed to use Snake in PSA.

Last edited:

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Raiden's probably gonna replace the Grey Fox Assist Trophy. He'll pop up, say some cheesy lines, slash some dudes, then disappear. Pretty sure no cause for alarm here.

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
To people saying this person would make a mistake between PASBR and Smash you should read the complete interview, this guy knows about videogames, he mention games like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Metal Gear and even Portal (let me tell you, that most of the common people that don´t play much videogames will not think or know about this game). So I can say that he did play a role in Smash. Remember this game has been on production for 2 years and most of the third party characters and their worlds have been included first to avoid the problems that did happen in the last Smash where time constrains were a pain in the a... for Sakurai.

.n_n.

Last edited:

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
"Is there a game franchise you'd particularly like to appear in?

Let me think about that. Well the Metal Gear series is always coming in and out of my ‘field’. We have put bids out on it a couple of times. Raiden was always a character that I had wanted to play. I did end up playing him on Super Smash Bros; so I did end up playing him eventually. NOT to the extent that he is in the other games.

Really I can’t think of any others, I don’t know. Im so lucky to have work on all the major franchises that anyone could possibly work on or even dream to work on.

Oh, Portal. Is that possible even?! (laughing)

I just feel blessed with all the video game opportunities I’ve had chance to partake in, so I feel like I’ve got it pretty well covered."

If he isn't "to the extent that he is in the other games"
Codec??

Only part I can find about Smash.

This confirms what exactly? It sounds more like Raiden is playable in smash.

And I don't buy that....
Umm considering he says it's in a small extent it's more likely codec or AT work for it :L

Last edited:

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
I love it how someone makes a ambiguous comment, and everyone's all over it.
This IS Smash Bros. I would expect no less from our endearing forum members.

I agree that he may have confused Smash Bros with PASBR, though a Raiden AT or Codec would still be cool.

On an unrelated note, if Snake is back and they bring in an item from the Metal Gear franchise, I would love to see the Russian Glowcap. It's a glowing mushroom, so it recharges your batteries when you eat it.

Shin F.

Smash Master

He could have been in the codecs for the scrapped, incomplete characters in Brawl, but I doubt that he would coincidentally appear in only the scrapped codecs and none of the final characters.

Last edited:

Simensis

Smash Apprentice
Anybody knows the reputation of this guy? I mean, would he, as a VA, get into a lot of trouble by lying? I want to believe this so much but you can't trust anybody with this kind of information.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
By the way, I feel like the the voice actor leak is pretty believable, these are the type of leaks that actually tend to happen.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Anybody knows the reputation of this guy? I mean, would he, as a VA, get into a lot of trouble by lying? I want to believe this so much but you can't trust anybody with this kind of information.
I'm gonna laugh if this guy turns out to be a major troll who's well aware of how the Smash fandom goes crazy when stuff like this happens.

D

Deleted member

This is something that puts my fears of Kojima's statement to rest.

Reuben Langdon has never voiced Raiden before. So for him to say he finally got to do so in Smash, it means Raiden appears in Smash in some form with a speaking role.
And for that to happen, Snake has to be coming back (heavily doubt Raiden would replace Snake).

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
Do you think he's getting mad that people have essentially ignored the rest of his interview and focused on the tiniest of comments?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
He could have been in the codecs for the scrapped, incomplete characters in Brawl, but I doubt that he would coincidentally appear in only the scrapped codecs and none of the final characters.
I doubt he would bring up something as old as brawl, when in that scenario as well they probably would have gotten his old voice actor too. Especially since they would have scrapped him far before they would have even recorded VO for him.
Rueben seems to be a very dedicated guy, hes been dante, ken from street fighter, date masamune, etc. He has had prolific career in games and mo cap. You can read about his other work here, but no where is it indicative that he would lie or pull a prank. And even then this wouldnt be a huge deal to anyone but us smash fans, so it would seem pretty low key if that were the case.

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
Rueben seems to be a very dedicated guy, hes been dante, ken from street fighter, date masamune, etc. He has had prolific career in games and mo cap.
This. Absolutely. I don't know why people seem to be shrugging Reuben off as if he's some lowly VA who doesn't know about his own work. He's DANTE, for god's sake. He's a pretty big deal in motion capture for video games and, if I recall correctly, either owns or is involved with a company dedicated to mo-cap for games. He isn't one to just slip up on what he's talking about, let alone make multiple mistakes in the middle of speaking.

Oh, and one more thing... Reuben Langdon did not voice Raiden in PS All-Stars. It baffles me how many users are still mentioning this as a possibility. There was no mix-up with All-Stars and Smash.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
But...but...Snake doesn't fit! Not relevant to Nintendo! Uh...third parties aren't coming back! Mega Man and Sonic are just placeholders!

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
This can be great or turn very ugly. On one hand it can confirm Snake and codec calls (Raiden being one of them or the new Gray Fox AT) but in the other hand it can only mean Raiden is playable and that will surely suck if he gets in and Snake doesn't (It has happened before).

Please be option A.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
This. Absolutely. I don't know why people seem to be shrugging Reuben off as if he's some lowly VA who doesn't know about his own work. He's DANTE, for god's sake. He's a pretty big deal in motion capture for video games and, if I recall correctly, either owns or is involved with a company dedicated to mo-cap for games. He isn't one to just slip up on what he's talking about, let alone make multiple mistakes in the middle of speaking.

Oh, and one more thing... Reuben Langdon did not voice Raiden in PS All-Stars. It baffles me how many users are still mentioning this as a possibility. There was no mix-up with All-Stars and Smash.
Exactly. This isn't a leak. This is basically a confirmation. He's a voice actor. He works in the game industry. He's not a guy on GameFAQs whose uncle works at Nintendo.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
There are a lot of VAs that are into video games (as well as anime) and know what they're talking about. That goes for both Japanese and English language VAs.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
One problem with this Raiden thing is that Raiden hasn't (respectfully) been a Nintendo system.

- Super Smash Bros. Brawl: A mere sticker
- Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel : Referenced (by his real name "Jack", plus it's a non-canon game)
- Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D: Non-canon cameo.

So I have my doubts on this.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The other time we had a revelation like this was with Alisha Glidewell (spelling?), Krystal's voice actor, before Brawl. Naturally, the vocal Krystal fans assumed this was a confirmation of her as a character, which didn't end up happening, but she appeared nonetheless in a speaking role. So yeah, this isn't some random guy typing in that David Hayter is returning on IMDB, which anyone can edit, this is actually substantial. Man, oh man, Snake being back would slaughter more leaks than it would leave untouched, that's for damn sure.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
The simplest explanation is: Reuben voiced an assist trophy and/or codec version of Raiden in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS. which means that Snake most likely returns as a playable character.

^^^ Anything that's not this is grasping at straws.This is more likely than any alternative people try to come up with. While it's not a good idea to just assume that this is true, it is the only explanation that makes complete sense. All other theories have huge holes.

Stenton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stenton
3DS FC
5241-1897-2572
Goodness Raiden. Go back to PASBR. Don't be whoring between figthing games.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
One problem with this Raiden thing is that Raiden hasn't (respectfully) been a Nintendo system.

- Super Smash Bros. Brawl: A mere sticker
- Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel : Referenced (by his real name "Jack", plus it's a non-canon game)
- Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D: Non-canon cameo.

So I have my doubts on this.
To be fair, many of the MGS trophies had never appeared on Nintendo consoles before, so I think that rule only applies to playable characters themselves.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm glad that this means that Snake is confirmed but...

While Rueben is a respectable guy, can we be sure about the website?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I'm glad that this means that Snake is confirmed but...

While Rueben is a respectable guy, can we be sure about the website?
Well he did link it in his twitter yesterday, so i dont think he would bring it to peoples attention if it was something he didnt take part in.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
By the way, I feel like the the voice actor leak is pretty believable, these are the type of leaks that actually tend to happen.
And for good reason honestly. He probably doesn't know that Metal Gear hasn't yet been confirmed as a franchise present in the new Smash Bros games, many times voice actors don't follow or even watch the end result of what they're voicing, so he probably didn't think it through properly before he let his mouth slip.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm definitely liking the sound of this. I don't care how minor Raiden's voice may end up being, but if it confirms Snake, I'm all up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom