• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiscuitTricks

Smash Rookie
Only part I can find about Smash.

This confirms what exactly? It sounds more like Raiden is playable in smash.

And I don't buy that....
I think, if this is true, and I don't think there's much reason to doubt it, that he meant he voiced Raiden in codec calls in Smash. Characters don't usually have much dialog in Smash anyways, except for codec/transmitter calls for StarFox and Metal Gear, so it would make sense if he was referring to codec calls.

As to those saying he mixed it up with PS All-Stars, really? I mean, it's possible, but I find that situation unlikely. If you work on a game and you put something on your resume and you meet people involved, you're likely going to remember the specific name of your project, especially considering it would be a recent game. Plus, he said he's a gamer, which makes sense in the business he's in, so he probably remembers the names of titles he actually specifically likes, knows, or considers voice acting for. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't get games mixed up like that. I'd imagine it wouldn't go well for trying to get a job voice acting for Battlefield 5 and being like, "Yeah, I really enjoyed playing the last game in your Call of Duty series!"

Also, the context of the paragraph around that quote in question has him using the word "play" as in voice act, and not "play" as in control a character. Most people don't switch connotation of a word mid-thought and then revert back to their original meaning again immediately, so I'm going to assume he was consistent throughout.

Now, barring it being an extremely major flukey coincidence because the writer messed up or Reuben misspoke, I think this is legitimate. And if Raiden is in the game in some capacity, no matter in what way, it's extremely unlikely that a Metal Gear character wouldn't be in, so Snake is the likeliest candidate to return. Not that Snake is confirmed, and we'll see what happens, but I would say this bodes well for Snake fans.

Also, to those saying it could mean Raiden is playable instead, I just don't see it. I feel like Sakurai would choose either Snake or nobody from Metal Gear, because Raiden has even less history with Nintendo, is less iconic than Snake, less unique than Snake in the Smash Brothers series, and Snake already has a moveset they can tweak and base things off.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Absolutely, i wouldnt put it past them to include him in that way as well. Even if its snake from a different era, time paradox's are a frequent gag in the series.
good to know would be awesome to see him do some codecs maybe about sword wielders like himself.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Yes Raiden come kill the leaks with your pal snake, together we will destroy the betternet rooster leak!

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
So to destroy this rumor here too:

"Raiden was always a character that I had wanted to play (acting). I did end up playing (actual playing the game) him on Super Smash Bros (he confuses the game with PSABR); so I did end up playing (acting) him eventually."

He played the new Raiden in PSABR, before he became his voice-actor in his game. The Cyborg Raiden was the first time playable in PSABR and he wasn't the voice-actor in this game. It is just a strange sentence and him confusing the games.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I still think one of those islands in the background of Battlefield is the isle of the ancients. I was mocked for mentioning it before but I'm sure of it.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

"Raiden was always a character that I had wanted to play (acting). I did end up playing (actual playing the game) him on Super Smash Bros (he confuses the game with PSABR); so I did end up playing (acting) him eventually."

He played the new Raiden in PSABR, before he became his voice-actor in his game. The Cyborg Raiden was the first time playable in PSABR and he wasn't the voice-actor in this game. It is just a strange sentence and him confusing the games.
Different voice actor. The guy who is in the interview is not Quinton Flynn who played him in PSASBR and other MGS titles. This guy wanted to play Raiden and got his chance in Smash Bros according to the article.

Last edited:

BiscuitTricks

Smash Rookie
And so the idiots flooding Langdon's Twitter begin. "Oh bro, lol, dont u relize u voiced raiden in sony smash?" No, he didn't.

There's a good way to go about this, and a bad way, and this is the internet, so bad way it is.

I addressed this already in a previous post. That's illogical speaking and assuming Langdon is making multiple errors in the same paragraph. It also makes the rest of the paragraph not make sense. In fact, it makes the whole paragraph not make sense. The paragraph makes the most sense if he meant "play" as in "voice act" consistently.

Really, you "destroyed" nothing. Unless you have solid evidence, "destroyed" is a pretty silly term to use.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
Different voice actor. The guy who is in the interview is not Quinton Flynn who played him in PSASBR and other MGS titles. This guy wanted to play Raiden and got his chance in Smash Bros according to the article.
You should re-read what he wrote. I think you misunderstood :)

BiscuitTricks

Smash Rookie
You should re-read what he wrote. I think you misunderstood :)
Metal B is saying that Reuben essentially said: "I wanted to voice act Raiden. I did end up playing as him in PS All-Stars, so I did end up voice acting him eventually."

I'm not seeing how playing as a character translates into voice acting said character.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
No I don't think he meant physically playing him. He could do the same in MGS2 or Revengeance. He clearly means voice acting.
Oh, I'm not agreeing with him. I just thought it looked like you misunderstood his point since you answered with: "Different voice actor. The guy who is in the interview is not Quinton Flynn who played him in PSASBR...". Seemed like you didn't catch that he was talking about "playing" as in playing the game.

But then I guess I'm the one that misunderstood! Apologies.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

And I don't buy that....
The phrase "NOT to the extent that he is in the other games" kind of hints that it's a minor role, so it's probably just one or two lines for his AT along with a few grunts, or maybe a few codex calls.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Honestly if Raiden gets in before a second Sonic rep I burn things down.

To the ground.

I like Metal Gear, but it is far less deserving of a second rep than Sonic.
If Metal Gear gets a second rep it should be Simon Belmont. :troll:

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Oh, remember when Krystal's voice actress said that she had recorded lines for SSBB and everybody assumed that Krystal would be playable?
This is a similar situation.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Oh, remember when Krystal's voice actress said that she had recorded lines for SSBB and everybody assumed that Krystal would be playable?
If Raiden is in smash in some form that means there has to be a metal gear fighter which will be snake.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Just brining this up because I keep seeing it pop up on other sites, but Raiden HAS been on a Nintendo console before.

He was in Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel on the Game Boy Color in 2000. I don't think this matters one way or another, as if this is true he would likely be an assist trophy and I don't think that same rules apply to them as to playable characters.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
It reads like he played as the character and did not voice the character despite him wishing to voice a character in the Metal Gear Solid series. And him being a casual gamer, more than likely confused PSASBR with Super Smash Bros. and probably played it at some expo thinking it was the next Smash Bros. or whatever. But I could be wrong. English is fickle at times, even to native speakers.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
It reads like he played as the character and did not voice the character despite him wishing to voice a character in the Metal Gear Solid series. And him being a casual gamer, more than likely confused PSASBR with Super Smash Bros. and probably played it at some expo thinking it was the next Smash Bros. or whatever. But I could be wrong. English is fickle at times, even to native speakers.
He could have played as Raiden in a Metal Gear Solid 2, why mention PSABR or Smash as a game were you can finally play as Raiden? Also the question is "is there a game franchise you'd like to appear in?"

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
"Is there a game franchise you'd particularly like to appear in?

Let me think about that. Well the Metal Gear series is always coming in and out of my ‘field’. We have put bids out on it a couple of times. Raiden was always a character that I had wanted to play. I did end up playing him on Super Smash Bros; so I did end up playing him eventually. NOT to the extent that he is in the other games.

Really I can’t think of any others, I don’t know. Im so lucky to have work on all the major franchises that anyone could possibly work on or even dream to work on.

Oh, Portal. Is that possible even?! (laughing)

I just feel blessed with all the video game opportunities I’ve had chance to partake in, so I feel like I’ve got it pretty well covered."

Only part I can find about Smash.

And I don't buy that....
I think he meant PSASBR...or Raiden is now a codec.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I think he meant PSASBR...or Raiden is now a codec.
Once again, he didn't voice him in PSABR and the context on the quote does not support him talking about playing him as in "playing him in game with a controller." He was asked who he would like to voice act, and he said he had wanted to play Raiden, then he finally got the chance to, but not to the extent he wanted to (so probably a codex.)

Now, I'm not saying Snake (or Raiden) is in Smash; I'm just saying that that is the most reasonable way to interpret the quote from an outside perspective (I don't really care about Snake one way or the other, personally.)

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Not really, If he's recorded lines for raiden, then that by proxy confirms that konami will be returning as a franchise which pretty much means snake.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
He could have played as Raiden in a Metal Gear Solid 2, why mention PSABR or Smash as a game were you can finally play as Raiden? Also the question is "is there a game franchise you'd like to appear in?"
Or, as somebody pointed out on NeoGAF, he may have voiced a pre-release version of Raiden in "Super Smash Bros." (PSASBR) before the actual voice actor Quinton Flynn stepped in. Who knows.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Once again, he didn't voice him in PSABR and the context on the quote does not support him talking about playing him as in "playing him in game with a controller." He was asked who he would like to voice act, and he said he had wanted to play Raiden, then he finally got the chance to, but not to the extent he wanted to (so probably a codex.)

Now, I'm not saying Snake (or Raiden) is in Smash; I'm just saying that that is the most reasonable way to interpret the quote from an outside perspective (I don't really care about Snake one way or the other, personally.)
I gave two answers. The first wasn't voice acting. The codec thing was though.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Or, as somebody pointed out on NeoGAF, he may have voiced a pre-release version of Raiden in "Super Smash Bros." (PSASBR) before the actual voice actor Quinton Flynn stepped in. Who knows.
It's possible. We really won't know unless he answers people on twitter, I was just pointing out the most natural way to read the quote.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Why would the voice actor mistake PSASBR's name with Smash Bros.'s? I don't think he would make such a dumb mistake.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
It's possible. We will really won't know unless he answers people on twitter, I was just pointing out the most natural way to read the quote.
And I understand that interpretation as well. We're just listing all of the possibilities to try to understand what actually happened.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Why would the voice actor mistake PSASBR's name with Smash Bros.'s? I don't think he would make such a dumb mistake.
I recall a voice actress accidentally referring to Super Smash Bros. as "Super Mario Bros. Smash" or some such, and then later had to be corrected.

There was also a Tomb Raider actress who didn't know anything about Tomb Raider. A lot of times these actors just get the gig for the $$$ and don't give a crap about being entirely correct with facts.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I basically agree, but better men then he have done so in the past. Remember when the first official trailer came out and Sony actually put smash and bros as keywords for youtube searches?

Last edited:

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I don't think they do mocap for Smash or PSABR? Might be something to look up, I guess.

If he doesn't respond on his twitter it would probably support it being a leak to an extent (not sure how active he is on twitter but I see no reason to come out and say he meant PSABR if that was the case.)

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
What does he mean by not to the extent as in other games? The only game where raiden is the only playable character is revengeance, so that probably means he's being voiced, but not playable. (that's pretty much the only way it'll be lesser than his other appearances, imo.)
Also, Raiden did not have a motion capture actor in PSABR. The animations are taken from revengeance.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
In terms of what you could bring to the Characters you have played, which was your favourite game character to play? and why?
I get asked this question a lot..and just for the cool factor and my own fanboyish thing I guess Ken Masters is probably my favourite character as just the idea of being Ken Master, it’s just cool. I mean I am Ken masters, I do the voice of Ken Masters. Do you know what kind of street cred that gets me (*smiling) – I can walk into any party and BANG, I’m that guy. I’m Ken Masters. That’s really cool.

But in terms of actual bringing a character to life, Dante from Devil May Cry series in 3&4 was a lot of fun."
I think by play he means voice act, as he responds to it in other parts of the interview.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I highly doubt Raiden of all characters would be playable. He's probably a codec call or at a push, an Assist Trophy.

What it does mean though is that Snake is back. It certainly helps us lean towards the "no cuts from Brawl" side of thinking too, which is great!

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
The plain reading of his comments suggests he voiced Raiden in Smash Bros. You can try to read it other ways and maybe those other interpretations are even accurate. But today, with what we know, Snake's chances for SSB4 got a huge boost.

And I'm cool with that, even though I'm not really a MGS fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom