• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
When did he say this? Any links to this or anything?
He didn't really. He actually said he thought it would be impossible. Then said maybe if they tried really hard he could work but he might be slow. The more alarming issue is that making Ridley playable hadn't appeared to have crossed his mind before he was asked about it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And whatever the reason for that conscious decision, it would have been an unsatisfactory one that fans of those characters have every reason to be vocal about.

I'm baffled as to why people assume all fans of Smash are interested in Smash by default, or will buy it unconditionally just because it's inherently amazing. Some need to be hooked by game content, or have certain standards that need meeting. Naturally, the omission of two major newcomer candidates will result in some fans not getting hooked, or turning to Project M, where there's a better chance of their desires being met. As such, the better analogy would be that an amusement park fan refrains from buying a ticket to said park until its most popular roller coasters are operational again.
I don't care about Ridley and King K. Rool... and the lack of a playable Toad (the one character I really want most of all) is not going to stop me from having fun with Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Little Mac, Greninja, and other unconfirmed newcomers on all the new stages and play around with the new items. There's more to Smash than having that one or two specific characters playable. Good thing the controls are ridiculously simple enough for me to play well enough... but it is the gameplay mechanics that keep me coming back for more... I love the feeling of successfully Meteor Smashing an opponent offstage and I score a point... it is easy to learn but difficult to master... and I love it.

Mewtwo_soul

Smash Rookie
Enjoy. Also, in before the "impossible" portion of that quote is used to defend his exclusion when modders in their parents' basements have been proving him possible for years.
Ninja'd me. I was going to say the impossible section was more of a joke or a punch line because the second sentence he points out if the team tried it's possible, but there is no laugh after that comment. The impossible statement in other words was just a joke while the possibility (Ridley is possible) was an actual serious statement.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't care about Ridley and King K. Rool... and the lack of a playable Toad (the one character I really want most of all) is not going to stop me from having fun with Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Little Mac, Greninja, and other unconfirmed newcomers on all the new stages and play around with the new items. There's more to Smash than having that one or two specific characters playable. Good thing the controls are ridiculously simple enough for me to play well enough... but it is the gameplay mechanics that keep me coming back for more... I love the feeling of successfully Meteor Smashing an opponent offstage and I score a point... it is easy to learn but difficult to master... and I love it.
...Good for you? Nowhere in any of my previous comments did I imply that my criticisms affect the entire fanbase's enjoyment of the game, moreso for specific portions of the fanbase. And yes, Smash to me is wholly about the characters who are playable, and, if there isn't anyone new to pique my interest, like hell am I going to drop $500 on the game and its console/controllers. I'll enjoy Melee, Brawl, and Project M, and, if a new game comes out with those characters, I'll pick it up when it happens.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
RosalinaX is also a member of a MK8 Forum that I moderate. I'll try and get some information while others also try and contact them. Maybe we can get some more information.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
...Good for you? Nowhere in any of my previous comments did I imply that my criticisms affect the entire fanbase's enjoyment of the game, moreso for specific portions of the fanbase. And yes, Smash to me is wholly about the characters who are playable, and, if there isn't anyone new to pique my interest, like hell am I going to drop $500 on the game and its console/controllers. I'll enjoy Melee, Brawl, and Project M, and, if a new game comes out with those characters, I'll pick it up when it happens.
Okay, go ahead. Nobody is forcing you to buy a Wii U just for Ridley and King K. Rool. I bought the Wii U because I wanted the other games, not just for Smash.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Please and thank you!

Please report your findings posthaste!
So far I've found:
- The conversation was via Skype
- The person he had contact with wasn't a friend
- RosalinaX never asked about the games. The "leaker" just decided to give him info
- Exact words are "Inside drift is back but it's getting nerfed"
- Doesn't want to talk about any new info. Basically he just dropped the info and didn't want to deal with it.
- Other Mario Kart info is that work is being made to prevent ultra short cuts
- Apparently RosalinaX wasn't the only person in the Skype convo
- Leaker said that Mario Kart 8 patches will be made if glitches are present

In particular, this member also definitively says that it is coming back, so it's possible that they were in the conversation.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So far I've found:
- The conversation was via Skype
- The person he had contact with wasn't a friend
- RosalinaX never asked about the games. The "leaker" just decided to give him info
- Exact words are "Inside drift is back but it's getting nerfed"
- Doesn't want to talk about any new info. Basically he just dropped the info and didn't want to deal with it.
- Other Mario Kart info is that work is being made to prevent ultra short cuts
- Leaker said that Mario Kart 8 patches will be made if glitches are present

In particular, this member also definitively says that it is coming back, so it's possible that they were in the conversation.
I see...

What about the Smash news?

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
K Rool and Ridley are the only reasons you'd buy smash 4?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Its the only thing left that appeals to him.

If they were in Brawl, it would have been his perfect game.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
if there isn't anyone new to pique my interest, like hell am I going to drop $500 on the game and its console/controllers.
You won't even drop $40 for the 3DS version? :(
This is interesting to me. Is it possible that the other people in that conversation are members of that Mario Kart site? We could contact them for verification/clarification of his claims.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yes; my interest in Smash has always stemmed from the fact that I have a 'Smash experience' I can progress through with my favorite characters. I picked up Melee because of Bowser and DK, then Brawl because of Diddy/Dedede/Wario. But, while others certainly do have those special characters who turn the game into a day one purchase for them (this was a common reaction when Mega Man was revealed, for instance), I no longer do, really. I can play as the same old veterans at my cousin's house, and I can download the undoubtedly fantastic soundtrack online.

You won't even drop $40 for the 3DS version? :(
I'd still need a 3DS, so it would be more than $40 for me. I've never really been all that into the 3DS version either, so probably not. One caveat to me not buying without Ridley or Rool, if I end up getting the next Nintendo console for whatever reason and it's backwards compatible with the Wii U, I would consider picking up a used copy of the Wii U Smash, but that's a long ways down the road at this rate.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
And whatever the reason for that conscious decision, it would have been an unsatisfactory one that fans of those characters have every reason to be vocal about. Especially Ridley fans, after Sakurai has admitted to being able to make him work in-game.

I'm baffled as to why people assume all fans of Smash are interested in Smash by default, or will buy it unconditionally just because it's inherently amazing. Some need to be hooked by game content, or have certain standards that need meeting. Naturally, the omission of two major newcomer candidates will result in some fans not getting hooked, or turning to Project M, where there's a better chance of their desires being met. As such, the better analogy would be that an amusement park fan refrains from buying a ticket to said park until its most popular roller coasters are operational again.
With Ridley in particular it is not a matter of if he can work, but rather if a playable scaled down Ridley would be a disservice to the character. I do not believe it would be; but I am beginning to think Sakurai does. I'm done discussing this in this thread, in any case. I'm fairly certain it's off topic but who really knows anymore... if you want to continue this discussion elsewhere let me know, but I'm leaving this thread while I still have some semblance of sanity remaining.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I have not been getting notifications so what have I missed? Why are we discussing that awful 48 character list again?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
@ Spazzy_D Spazzy_D This thread is most likely about to either get revamped or locked, so it'll be back on topic before much longer. Also, you have to admit, it'd be beyond aggravating for Ridley fans if the only reason they were denied their favorite character was the director's selective squeamishness.

With regard to "48 characters, but that could change," there was that pic of the day caption in which Sakurai claimed content was still being added into the game. This could be the phase where the lower priority characters are sitting on the cusp, like Toon Link/Jigglypuff/Wolf allegedly were with Brawl.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Dairz

Smash Ace
@ BKupa666 BKupa666 Sure, Ridley might not be playable. But he gets significant representation over other wanted characters. He gets to be a boss, twice; and appears once again presumably as a stage hazard. Now look at Toad; hes a human meat shield for the third time in a row. Frankly, if the only reason you'd shell out 500 bucks for Smash is because of Ridley/K. Rool.... just stick to the old games and save some money.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
With regard to "48 characters, but that could change," there was that pic of the day caption in which Sakurai claimed content was still being added into the game. This could be the phase where the lower priority characters are sitting on the cusp, like Toon Link/Jigglypuff/Wolf allegedly were with Brawl.
True, but if the 3DS version is so close, then I assumed that the characters are pretty much done and selected. Finalizing move-sets and whatnot are what is left. But, I guess Brawl should have taught me better than that...

It is an easy way out.

And if the source is on to something...

Then 4 cuts aren't definite, right?
Who knows. I have a feeling it isn't true at all. It's very vague. And, the inside-drifting is tweaked, but from MKWii, it needed to be nerfed. I'm not sure how it compares to Mario Kart 7's drifting.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
@ BKupa666 BKupa666 Sure, Ridley might not be playable. But he gets significant representation over other wanted characters. He gets to be a boss, twice; and appears once again presumably as a stage hazard. Now look at Toad; hes a human meat shield for the third time in a row. Frankly, if the only reason you'd shell out 500 bucks for Smash is because of Ridley/K. Rool.... just stick to the old games and save some money.
I'm not satisfied by mediocrity in the form of an out-of-character stage hazard, and that's okay. For the people who are okay with him there, that's alright, too. Ditto with game purchases...people have their own buying criteria, and there's no need to pass judgment upon them. I'm trying to offer a perspective that's largely absent among Smash fans...usually, roster responses boil down to either "ugh, no X character, game sucks eggs" or "OMG let's make a #ThankYouSakurai hashtag because everything is literally perfect!!"

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
In one of GameXplain's videos they noticed that in the Greninja trailer there was a Pac-Man silhouette in the clouds. I'm not sure if that means anything for Pac-Man, or if that's what the guy who works at Nintendo may have been talking about, but It makes you wonder. I'm not sure if it's a reach or not.

I doubt we could get any further clarification, it just seems like a specific someone leaking wouldn't really know. Someone could try and ask RosalinaX.

^^ I can see why this thread is probably going to be closed. :upsidedown:
Do you know in which video of GameXplain they talk about the Pac-Man silhouette? I checked the Greninja trailer and I think I found it.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And, the inside-drifting is tweaked, but from MKWii, it needed to be nerfed. I'm not sure how it compares to Mario Kart 7's drifting.
Doesn't that match up with his/her leak?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'll reply whenever I talk to RosalinaX, but it seems like @ Starbound Starbound already has. Still, maybe we can find names of the other members who were present during the conversation.

Also, RosalinaX states that the guy said that it was 48 characters, but that it could also change? Couldn't this be a flag for false information from the source? That's kind of an easy way out if 48 isn't correct.
I haven't talked to the guy yet. I was just surveying the thread for info as I went through the posts in the inside drift thread. I only have like 30 posts there so I think it'd be better if you talk to him since you're a mod there. You'll probably get a better response from him than I will.

Technically, yes.

MK8, from what I can tell, uses a hybrid drift system of inside and outside drifting.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Do you know in which video of GameXplain they talk about the Pac-Man silhouette? I checked the Greninja trailer and I think I found it.
I saw the discussion. Man that is such a stretch. like jeez. I'm pretty sure clouds are known for being able to see things in them that aren't there. I think this is a good example.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I'm not sure. I'm trying to read back through the thread to see if we are comparing it to MKWii or MK7. The in-drifting between these two games was tweaked a bit, so I'm not sure how MK8 compares to them. Again, just vague enough to be able to make work.

ThatWasPeachy said:
MK8, from what I can tell, uses a hybrid drift system of inside and outside drifting.
You probably know more than I do about the comparison. So it has been tweaked. Is this from demo gameplay confirmations?

I haven't talked to the guy yet. I was just surveying the thread for info as I went through the posts in the inside drift thread. I only have like 30 posts there so I think it'd be better if you talk to him since you're a mod there. You'll probably get a better response from him than I will.
I mod a different forum that he is a member of. However, he isn't very active in these forums. Once I get a response, however, I'll be sure to let everyone here know.

Shroob

Sup?
I honestly feel like poking RosalinaX won't bring anything new to the table.

For the most part, it just seems like the 'information' was nothing more than a bonus. Kinda like a "By the way" sort of thing.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I honestly feel like poking RosalinaX won't bring anything new to the table.

For the most part, it just seems like the 'information' was nothing more than a bonus. Kinda like a "By the way" sort of thing.
True, but you never know. Might as well give it a shot.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So we're just waiting then...

So to the Mario Kart experts out there, was this inside drifting claim a common want/prediction?

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
They were talking about this:

Even I think it's a bit of a stretch. The Namco items alone are a better indicator than that. Although I will admit it does look similar, but I don't think it was done on purpose.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Is any of this cloud stuff related to any leaks in anyway? If not, please take it to the Character Discussion or Pac-Man threads.

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
What happened to this thread
Wrong part of the video...

Oddly, I don't think it's a stretch this time. Go to the 1:12 mark in the video and look at the cloud. I'm almost certain it's literally a cameo and it stay like that the entire time in the sky.
I'd say it's related to leaks that include Pac-Man because it shows his chances are higher, but I'll stop talking about it here if that's the case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom