• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That's true. Was just pointing out he didn't predict their order. It's very possible at that stage he knew about those six characters and just posted them all to cover himself/ look like a god.

This would be a completely different story if it had have been Little Mac, Mii and Pac-Man revealed. Sure, he still guessed three, but a much easier three to pick.
In fact, my understanding is that Sal didn't really trust the source at first, and he seems like a pretty decent guy, so I believe him there.

Y'know what makes sense? Maybe he posted all 6 because he wasn't sure whether he trusted the source, or what they meant, so he just posted all six to see what happened.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
In fact, my understanding is that Sal didn't really trust the source at first, and he seems like a pretty decent guy, so I believe him there.

Y'know what makes sense? Maybe he posted all 6 because he wasn't sure whether he trusted the source, or what they meant, so he just posted all six to see what happened.
We had a guy with inside info actually do that on Bulbagarden.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

That's the thing about Sal. He's not trying to make a huge deal of it, and even he is saying to take it with a grain of salt. It's such a different tactic to other leakers. I wonder who is emailing him.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
That's the thing about Sal. He's not trying to make a huge deal of it, and even he is saying to take it with a grain of salt. It's such a different tactic to other leakers. I wonder who is emailing him.
Sakurai

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
What are you talking about? He is born at the same time as Olimar that he also mentioned as new because since melee Nintendo has mostly been doing rehashes and focusing on main franchises, and Sakurai is clearly not seeing any potential in expanding characters in the Zelda, Mario area at that time.
And you're saying this somehow OVERRIDES what Sakurai said in Brawl?

That quote is from Sakurai not from me and it was made AFTER Brawl was out.
And he said it was difficult to find new characters, not that A) he absolutely HAD to use new characters and B) he would therefore overturn his old decision that AC wasn't violent enough for inclusion.

You're using 20/20 hindsight to try to explain how the villager was somehow an easy guess, despite the fact that BEFORE his reveal, anyone who suggested the villager would've IMMEDIATELY been slapped with "SAKURAI SAID NO!!!!!!"

And you're trying to pass that off as an explanation for why Sal was able to guess it correctly? Right...

Also, Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, Eternal Darkness, Geist, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo were all "born" in the 1999-present era. If Sakurai was really worried about picking newcomers, he could've grabbed a whole handful right there, all of which would've had some VERY unique mechanics and movesets.

Last edited:

Ta1nted_4ngel29

Smash Ace
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
What if the second round of Sal's leaks wasn't really Sal himself, but someone claiming to be Sal instead just trying to screw with everyone by slipping in Chorus Men into a list of perceived 'obvious choices'?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
What if the second round of Sal's leaks wasn't really Sal himself, but someone claiming to be Sal instead just trying to screw with everyone by slipping in Chorus Men into a list of perceived 'obvious choices'?
Sal posted it himself.
This is his article

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's been confirmed to have come from Sal. One of the mods here messaged and asked him personally about it and the other leaks.

I believe someone's already come in and talked about that, though.

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
And you're saying this somehow OVERRIDES what Sakurai said in Brawl?

And he said it was difficult to find new characters, not that A) he absolutely HAD to use new characters and B) he would therefore overturn his old decision that AC wasn't violent enough for inclusion.

You're using 20/20 hindsight to try to explain how the villager was somehow an easy guess, despite the fact that BEFORE his reveal, anyone who suggested the villager would've IMMEDIATELY been slapped with "SAKURAI SAID NO!!!!!!"

And you're trying to pass that off as an explanation for why Sal was able to guess it correctly? Right...

Also, Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, Eternal Darkness, Geist, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo were all "born" in the 1999-present era. If Sakurai was really worried about picking newcomers, he could've grabbed a whole handful right there, all of which would've had some VERY unique mechanics and movesets.
Who else is he gonna choose? Seriously, and if I remember correctly he claimed Brawl would be his last Smash. Look where we are now, he's working on 2 at the same time. Taking what he says at face value is not a good ice at all. But if you actually look at the fact the he added in most of everyone in Smash that needed to be in, he had pretty much no where else to go.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Who else is he gonna choose? Seriously, and if I remember correctly he claimed Brawl would be his last Smash. Look where we are now, he's working on 2 at the same time. Taking what he says at face value is not a good ice at all. But if you actually look at the fact the he added in most of everyone in Smash that needed to be in, he had pretty much no where else to go.
I have no idea what you guys are arguing about but clearly Sakurai hasn't added everyone that "needed to be in" because there are so many other popular characters getting requested and have easy movesets that could be made.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Who else is he gonna choose?
Maybe any of the 30+ other characters on the poll that people wanted?

You could use your logic to suggest that ANY character HAS to be in SSB because Sakurai has run out of choices.

Again, you have NO basis to suggest that he "had" the pick villager (who didn't even have a friggin' NAME before SSB4) any more than you can say he HAD to include the WFT.

Seriously, pre-reveal, EVERYONE would've insisted that the villager was out because Sakurai already shot him down. You can't go from that to "Well, he HAD to include the villager!".

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
"Rosalina wasn't on those lists, obvious fake!"

Rosalina wasn't on the initial listing of six characters. Neither were Palutena, Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men or "Pokemon from X/Y."

None of Villager, Mega Man, WFT, Rosalina or Little Mac were on the second listing of characters.

She was caught in an awkward middle ground between the two leaks, nothing more or less.

Are we done using that absurdly stupid talking point as a "disconfirmation"?

Speaking of absurdly stupid talking points, "The logic we now use after Villager and WFT's reveals could have totally been used before their reveals to predict them!" certainly qualifies. I'm starting to think you could make a bingo card out of all of them. Hell, this thread has devolved into enough of a forum game already thanks to random Joe Schmoes being free to enter and pass judgment on "leaks" at their leisure, so one might not be too out of place.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Are we done using that absurdly stupid talking point as a "disconfirmation"?
If only...

People do realize that Melee and Brawl both had leaks like this and a whole pile of people denied it fervently until videos of the characters were released, right?

This time, we actually have a leak which has revealed two characters with immensely low probability AND continued onto go 4/4, meaning it's all but guaranteed legit.

Maybe folks can avoid being "that guy" this time around? :p (hey I was that guy during melee).

You not liking the leaked roster is not evidence against it...

Last edited:

Latias

Smash Journeyman
Maybe any of the 30+ other characters on the poll that people wanted?

You could use your logic to suggest that ANY character HAS to be in SSB because Sakurai has run out of choices.

Again, you have NO basis to suggest that he "had" the pick villager (who didn't even have a friggin' NAME before SSB4) any more than you can say he HAD to include the WFT.

Seriously, pre-reveal, EVERYONE would've insisted that the villager was out because Sakurai already shot him down. You can't go from that to "Well, he HAD to include the villager!".
Link to the poll?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Link to the poll?
I don't have one, but it's only released in Japan from what I hear and it's frequently quoted.

IIRC, King D3 was #1-2 on it for brawl. Maybe they didn't post one this time, but I don't see why they wouldn't.

Bottom line, there's a MASSIVE list of characters people want to see in SSB. Saying Sakurai "had" to resort to including the villager is laughable.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
If only...

People do realize that Melee and Brawl both had leaks like this and a whole pile of people denied it fervently until videos of the characters were released, right?

This time, we actually have a leak which has revealed two characters with immensely low probability AND continued onto go 4/4, meaning it's all but guaranteed legit.

Maybe folks can avoid being "that guy" this time around? :p (hey I was that guy during melee).

The fact that the main argument against the Sal leak is that "It's possible that he guessed it" shows just how probable the leak is and people are still denying it XD

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If only...

Really. Hell, I'm not buying the game at all if the final roster is what's been leaked, plus Mewtwo, and I still think it's borderline incontrovertible.

The fact that the main argument against the Sal leak is that "It's possible that he guessed it" shows just how probable the leak is and people are still denying it XD
Yeah, that's another thing; even though it's completely illogical that he or anyone could have guessed WFT at E3, playing the scenario that they could, that doesn't render that guess an impossibly unlikely one at best. Possibility certainly doesn't equate to probability.

Last edited:

Latias

Smash Journeyman
Really. Hell, I'm not buying the game at all if the final roster is what's been leaked, plus Mewtwo, and I still think it's borderline incontrovertible.
Well King K Rool isn't getting in for sure.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Oh, ok then. Ignore me then. >.>
You know what's interesting? Actually reading his post there, it seems like all he was told was that the six characters from the pre-E3 e-mail were going to be in the game, not that they were going to be shown at E3.

I think this supports my theory a bit, that he saw the names, and assumed they'd all be shown at E3, however unlikely.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The roster SO FAR, I mean.

There's still a chance that there are some other newcomers on the list we've not heard about yet.

And hell, I think the roster sucks (I haven't liked a SSB roster to date) but I'll be buying SSB4, a WiiU AND a new TV for two reasons:

1. Improved Bowser

2. Competitive random 1v1s with matchmaking

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well King K Rool isn't getting in for sure.
I've come to accept this based off of this leak, and it is infuriating. I hope people rake Sakurai over the coals for "stressing himself to the brink of death" over roster decisions, then coming up with this pile of bilge as a final result. Most won't, but hopefully a few realize it's okay to not worship any and all final rosters on bended knee.

@ S_B S_B It's the Mario Kart 8 leak of only 48 characters, plus the Pre-Brawl guy claiming no Ridley or K. Rool that's got me doubting. To each his or her own, but I'm perfectly happy with the two games' worth of Bowser I already have.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So, did I miss anything?
Not really. It seems like some people are changing their opinions based on Sal's posts though.

Personally, I'm happy with the roster. I'd 100% prefer K. Rool be on it, but I can't get everything I want I guess. I didn't in Brawl. At least Kremlings get to do something this game.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
The roster SO FAR, I mean.

There's still a chance that there are some other newcomers on the list we've not heard about yet.
The fact that Rosalina came in between both leaks pretty much proves that Sal isn't leaking ALL the characters

IMHO

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I've come to accept this based off of this leak, and it is infuriating. I hope people rake Sakurai over the coals for "stressing himself to the brink of death" over roster decisions, then coming up with this pile of bilge as a final result. Most won't, but hopefully a few realize it's okay to not worship any and all final rosters on bended knee.
Like I said, I've never liked a SSB roster to date.

There are always some characters I'd love to see who just never make it in...

Also, RIdley and KKR would go a long way toward filling out the villain quota, which is pretty lacking right now.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Not really. It seems like some people are changing their opinions based on Sal's posts though.

Personally, I'm happy with the roster. I'd 100% prefer K. Rool be on it, but I can't get everything I want I guess. I didn't in Brawl. At least Kremlings get to do something this game.
Which one was that?
I don't think I was around for this one.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord

Also, RIdley and KKR would go a long way toward filling out the villain quota, which is pretty lacking right now.
There's never been anything about a roster you have liked? At all? Are you just hard to please? Is there a reason? I am actually really curious why you keep getting the games if you don't really care for the cast presented.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
There's never been anything about a roster you have liked? At all? Are you just hard to please? Is there a reason? I am actually really curious why you keep getting the games if you don't really care for the cast presented.
Bought the first one before I had any thought for the roster, and I was fresh off OoT which made me a natural Link fan.

After that, Bowser alllll the way. I love taking big, slow, heavy characters and making them work. :D But Bowser specifically because I think he's underrated as a character.

That said, it's also the mechanics I like. Ultimately, the characters boil down to hitboxes and hurtboxes with costumes so roster isn't THAT relevant (but I do love the Bowz).

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Bought the first one before I had any thought for the roster, and I was fresh off OoT which made me a natural Link fan.

After that, Bowser alllll the way. I love taking big, slow, heavy characters and making them work. :D But Bowser specifically because I think he's underrated as a character.
Fair enough.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Same here, but there have always been enough great characters additions to satisfy me in the past. It was Bowser and DK in Melee (DK's a veteran, but Melee was my first Smash), then Diddy and Dedede in Brawl. This time, there's no one at all; Little Mac comes the closest, and I only vaguely appreciate him because of Make Your Move's movement of Punch Out!! opponent movesets three years ago. I've never touched the series.

A lot of people appreciate Smash Bros. the way they appreciate Pokemon, where all of the characters are interchangeable so long as they have flashy new moves to use in battle, and they can refine playing as the same characters they've always played using slightly tweaked versions of the same movesets, but I just can't get into that mindset.

It's telling to me that we're able to recognize probable final rosters in this thread based on how disappointing they are, and how, if one looks remotely pleasing, it's probably a wishlist.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Oh, this one. Now I remember.
Though, I wouldn't mind if it's true. I'm actually curious on how Marshall would function.
Me too. Some sort of musical/rhythm character actually sounds like a blast, so it's not very hard for me to see why Sakurai would go for it from a uniqueness point of view.

I honestly wouldn't care, because I'd be too caught up with every character on my profile, but it's certainly something I look forward to seeing if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom