• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
For the sake of argument, I wanted to ask a friend of mine who is currently studying to become a game designer, and he had this to say:
(What he said is in white and what I said is in blue. Sorry that it's a long read.)

___, perhaps you would know more about this than I do...
someone discussing the Palutena photos pointed out that the pictures are on a 3DS.

Right.
Would the game be on a 3DS cartridge/harddrive at this point in development?
Well, that would depend on how they go about making the game.
If the game IS on a cartridge at this point, that means that the game is, at least, in a beta build, since an alpha build is when, like... everything is just basic, geometric shapes before models are inserted... or something like that.
When a game is in beta, yeah, I guess that's when people start playtesting it... and if that's the case...
It would be possible for it to be on a cartridge. At least, that's as much as I know. Bear in mind that I'm only starting my second semester. :p
HOWEVER, and additionally, if it IS in beta build... that would imply that the game might be near completion.
At least, in the sense of models.
Well, here's exactly what the person said on the subject:
*I copy-pasted exactly what you said here*
So, I suppose the question I have is...
Would "anyone have a cartridge with an unfinished game on it?"

Okay... that guy definitely knows what he's saying, and he's smart.... but...
First of all, during the Sakurai interview thing during E3 2013, Sakurai was clearly seen holding a 3DS with a capture unit to it. I don't think he was just pretending to play... chances are, the game was actually in the system.
You mean the developer direct?
But, second of all, that guy might be right. If there's as little data as the guy says that there is, then there's no point for it to be on a cartridge.
Yes, the developer direct.
However, it is common for developers to test games on a console quite often. That's why developer kits exist... and why *insert friend of ours* collects them.
Because sometimes, a game might run differently on a console than it might on a computer.
Here's what my first thought was.
And this was going to be a follow up question:

Okee dokey!
Would a computer be able to have the 3D capabilities?
If not, wouldn't it make more sense for 3DS games to be tested more often on the system?

Well, I believe 3D monitors exist, but... yes, you could be right.
But continue with what you were saying.
I can't confirm or deny whether or not these pictures are real, but if I had to prove that they were real... the game is clearly far enough to where it can be PLAYED, which may imply that it's already at a beta build, which could mean that all the major aspects are put into the game. The only thing that would need to be added after a beta build are fix-ups.
Well... my information might be wrong on that, but the point is, that guy is right, the game would have to be fairly far in development.
Animations for characters might not even be complete yet. But, the point of testing it on a 3DS instead of a computer is to see how the finished result will turn out.
As for "games not being sent out till their printed," that is only true for completed copies. Obviously game testers need a copy of the game.
The 3DS might look weird in the picture because, perhaps, it is a developer version. And I know that the guy said that it looks unusual in comparison to other developer versions, but hey... there exist various developer kits for different consoles.
But, developers test games on both a computer AND a console. The point of testing it on the console is to see how the game is looking. It's risky to make the whole game on a computer and then play it a console. It's a smarter move to see it on a console as development ensues, even if it is more time-consuming.
As for "getting a cartridge," Smash Bros. is a high budget game. I'm sure that they can get plenty of cartridges.
And, knowing Sakurai, he would take the latter route.
Exactly.
For example, I use a program called Unity. It's a game making program.
You have a scene... and a preview. The "preview" is how the game will look in the final version. But, you can still play the game through the scene.
The "scene" is... well, the scene. The level your in. Your setting.
In the "scene," you can adjust it however you want. But you CAN'T adjust anything in the "preview."
So, people will often play a game in the preview window, find a mistake, and fix it in the scene window. Then they might play it in the scene window to make sure everything in the background (or something that won't be seen in the preview window) is working.... does that make sense?
Basically, in this scenario, the "preview" would be the 3DS, and the "scene" would be the computer.
You gotta go back and forth to fix stuff. Just looking at the "scene," or the computer, doesn't guarantee that the game will look as pretty in the 3DS, or the "preview."
All you test on a computer is to make sure that stuff in the background works.
All you test on a console or handheld is to make sure that the game itself, or what the player will see when he/she buys the game, works.
So, pictures like that one of Pyrosphere that Sakurai said "is not accessible in-game" would be from the "scene," right?
Yeah!
Because he even said that that type of view was not accessible in game.
Now, of course, he took the picture off of a Wii U console.
How do you know?
Well... if he took the picture off of the computer, the quality would probably be higher, and/or show some other... stuff.
So, he probably messed with some coding and scripting on the camera to take that picture.
Ah, all right.
But, on his computer, he can do that with ease. Just by dragging his mouse around, he can get whatever view of the stage that he wants.
So, for example... let's use the Pyrosphere as an example. We see lava spewing and floating backgrounds, right? That's what we see in-game.
On a computer, Sakurai can look at more than that. Perhaps, behind the walls of the stage, there's probably just a floating particle effect spewing the lava, and maybe some random floating blocks or something.
But the player shouldn't be able to see those things. And that's the point of testing it on a console... at least, one of the main points.
Polygon count and stuff are also important. The game might run at perfect speed on a computer, but it might slow down on a console because of the polygon count. Computers are stronger than consoles, so you gotta test the game on a console to make sure that everything runs smoothly.
Loading times and player inputs also have to be tested on a console. Sure, you can play the game on a computer with whatever buttons you want, but you have to play the game on a console to make sure that everything "feels" right.
Basically, what I'm getting at is... people test stuff on consoles all the time.
So, it is likely that that was printed on a cartridge. And printing 10 beta cartridges shouldn't be a problem for a high-budget game like Smash Bros.

I don't know if anyone else has addressed this (I haven't caught up with the thread yet), but I am actually about to finish my Masters in Game Development and I can assure you for a fact that games are tested on consoles almost from the get-go as soon as there is something to test.

Also what both your friend and the original poster seem to be forgetting is that there is no need to "print out cartridges". I have made games on Xbox, Playstation and PS Vita and on all 3 I was given programs by my proffesor (who works in the industry) which allowed me to export all of my assets and then send my game code through the wireless net into a console that was specifically prepared to receive these assets and code blocks and I would then be able to modify my code and run it whenever I wanted on the console.

By this I mean that after I was done with all the "synching, exporting and sending code" crap I was able to just code on the computer normally and then run my code and the game would run on the Xbox 360/Playstation 3/PS Vita.

So yea... There is no need to print copies at all.

Edit: also, your friend has a weird definition of Alpha. From what I understand Alpha is <50% done or when the game is already playable but is still vastly incomplete (but it could already have models in, just not the final models or unpolished models). Beta means that the game is nearing its completion but still has work to be done.

There is also the release stage, where normally light balancing and bug fixing happens and the game is sent for QA testing and to critics and raters. Then the game goes into "Gold" stage, this is when the game is mass produced and released into the market.

There are more phases that go before Alpha, but at least that is my understanding of it. I believe Smash 4 is probably starting its beta phases, but I have no idea whatsoever xD.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
For reference, here's a picture of Alfonzo in Spirit Tracks.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
oh jeez, do i have to be the smart one here? okay, let me break things down for peepz.

The outline around characters is adjustable, sakurai already confirmed this... from bold, to nonexistent.

as for Shin's friend abroad from namco Bandai, obv. he's trolling you, shin. he's likely giving you half truths. i don't believe that dating smash game in the least... but dat deoxys doe! i've always been a closet deoxys supporter ever since the movie where he could change formes for defense, attack, speed, and all around normal... change formes with taunt!! like, one direction is a forme change and deoxys would make an actual pose with the forme change so it's like a hybrid forme change and a taunt.

in other news, i will be going to GDC2014, just got my money for the expo pass... hope to see some smash bros there... though i sincerely doubt that... if not, i will also be going to E32014 for good measure... I will be your gameplay guide when it becomes playable, mark my words.

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
as for Shin's friend abroad from namco Bandai, obv. he's trolling you, shin. he's likely giving you half truths. i don't believe that dating smash game in the least... but dat deoxys doe! i've always been a closet deoxys supporter ever since the movie where he could change formes for defense, attack, speed, and all around normal... change formes with taunt!! like, one direction is a forme change and deoxys would make an actual pose with the forme change so it's like a hybrid forme change and a taunt.
I'm pretty sure Shin admitted to making it up, there was no "friend" lol

LF2K

Floor Diver
"Super Smash Lovers"? Uh... no. That honestly sounds like a bad fanfic waiting to happen. :facepalm:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
as for Shin's friend abroad from namco Bandai, obv. he's trolling you, shin. he's likely giving you half truths. i don't believe that dating smash game in the least... but dat deoxys doe!
It wouldn't surprise me. He just got the internship a little while ago, and I'm sure he didn't want to risk losing it by leaking information. I'm sure he's peppered in a few half-truths and lies here and there to protect his position.
It's obvious the SSL rumor is shinpichu's concoction.
I'm pretty sure Shin admitted to making it up, there was no "friend" lol
Nonsense. If I were making a rumour, I wouldn't have included Thajra. :p

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
A new rumour you say? :evil:

I happen to have a Japanese friend who I met at my University that was studying abroad. He went back to Japan a few semesters ago, and we haven't really been in contact since. Well, last night he contacted me to let me know that he'd received an internship at Namco-Bandai, and had become privy to a few interesting details about the new Super Smash Bros. Since he knew what a big Smash Bros. fan I am, he thought he'd let me in on a few secrets about the development of this game. Here's what he told me:
-All Brawl veterans except Solid Snake are returning.
-The Palutena leak from a few days ago is real. The leak was made by someone in QA, who has since been "removed from the development process" by Sakurai.
-Due to complaints about clones from fans, Sakurai has decided that Mewtwo and Snake will have their roles filled by Deoxys and Big Boss respectively.
-Dr. Kawashima will be an Assist Trophy
-Thajra will be an Assist Trophy.
-Waluigi will be playable.
-Chrom will be playable.
-Doctor Mario will return. Sakurai wanted to include him to appease fans who were upset witht he return of FLUDD.
-The "Leaky 3" rumour is true.
-Many characters will be receiving alternate costumes. For instance, Marth will be receiving a costume based on his artwork from Fire Emblem: Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light. Chrom will receive an outfit based on his appearance in the "Summer Scramble" DLC.
-There are a lot fewer newcomers than had been originally planned. This is because of a new game mode that the dev team is working on that Sakurai thinks will be really popular.
-The new game mode is called "Super Smash Lovers." It's a mode where you can go on dates with any playable character, Assist Trophy, or other NPC. It was originally suggested as a joke by another intern, but the dev team liked the idea so much that they've focused most of the game's development on it. It's expected that the inclusion of this mode alone will double both Wii U and 3DS sales in Japan.

Believe or disbelieve, the choice is yours.
I think we've got a legit leak here. :troll:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
oh jeez, do i have to be the smart one here? okay, let me break things down for peepz.

The outline around characters is adjustable, sakurai already confirmed this... from bold, to nonexistent.

in other news, i will be going to GDC2014, just got my money for the expo pass... hope to see some smash bros there... though i sincerely doubt that... if not, i will also be going to E32014 for good measure... I will be your gameplay guide when it becomes playable, mark my words.
The outlines are adjustable for CHARACTERS, probably individually. No other stage hazards have it, and Alfonzo doesn't even have one.

That and Shin admitted the whe thing was his idea for fun :shades: :happy sheep:

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
You know, when I think about it, does Alfonzo having an outline really matter? Sure, he may have an outline, but he's on a stage he's built to be on. I'm pretty sure Lady Palutena wasn't made to be on Battlefield.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Damn it Banjo!! what part of... grumble grumble........

the only thing i was really being serious about is the GDC and the E3 part.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Damn it Banjo!! what part of... grumble grumble........

the only thing i was really being serious about is the GDC and the E3 part.
Sorry! Some part of me thought it was that but I came down with the stupid.

Wow I'm dumb. :facepalm:

Sakurai, stop making me crazy!

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
Why don't we try to come up with new modes? I've been a bit underwhelmed with that last game's modes so I thought this could be an interesting exercise.

King of the Hill: A timed game of 3 or 4 minutes. The hill moves around the stage (more hectic on moving stages) and whoever has the most time accumulated in the Hill wins.

Capture the flag (only playable on big stages): A team game. Flags spawn on either side of the stages. You have to run over to your opponents side and walk over their flag to grab it and bring it back to your base/flag. If an opponent hits you, the flag automatically drops and resets after 10 seconds. You can only score a point if your flag is at your base.

Tag: The game randomly chooses one player to be it at the start. That person has a sticky bomb on them. They need to tag and transfer the bomb to another player before it explodes. Everyone is invincible to player attacks. Only the bomb will kill you - and you can die from another player exploding near you. Everyone has one stock. Whoever the bomb explodes on is K.O.'ed and out. If there are players left after the first explosion another player is randomly chosen to be "it". Game continues like this until there is a winner.

Soccer
: There are two big goals on either side of the stage that kind of stretch up vertically. One soccer ball. Again a team game. You must hit the ball into the opposing team's goal. You can block a shot by jumping into (and getting hit by) the flame soccer ball. The stage is separated into two zones, much like the classic dodge-ball games for SNES, meaning you cannot go past the middle section of the stage. This can be played on a unique stage (like home-run contest) or something like Pokemon stadium without the platforms.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Why don't we try to come up with new modes? I've been a bit underwhelmed with that last game's modes so I thought this could be an interesting exercise.

King of the Hill: A timed game of 3 or 4 minutes. The hill moves around the stage (more hectic on moving stages) and whoever has the most time accumulated in the Hill wins.

Capture the flag (only playable on big stages): A team game. Flags spawn on either side of the stages. You have to run over to your opponents side and walk over their flag to grab it and bring it back to your base/flag. If an opponent hits you, the flag automatically drops and resets after 10 seconds. You can only score a point if your flag is at your base.

Tag: The game randomly chooses one player to be it at the start. That person has a sticky bomb on them. They need to tag and transfer the bomb to another player before it explodes. Everyone is invincible to player attacks. Only the bomb will kill you - and you can die from another player exploding near you. Everyone has one stock. Whoever the bomb explodes on is K.O.'ed and out. If there are players left after the first explosion another player is randomly chosen to be "it". Game continues like this until there is a winner.
Soccer: There are two big goals on either side of the stage that kind of stretch up vertically. One soccer ball. Again a team game. You must hit the ball into the opposing team's goal. You can block a shot by jumping into (and getting hit by) the flame soccer ball. The stage is separated into two zones, much like the classic dodge-ball games for SNES, meaning you cannot go past the middle section of the stage. This can be played on a unique stage (like home-run contest) or something like Pokemon stadium without the platforms.
Not the proper thread for this.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
New Leaked picture:

Look how many things are confirmed
  • New characters
  • Mechanics
  • More...

<spoiler>
Polar Vortex- The sequel to the prequel-1.jpg
<spoiler>

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
^ Those ****ing graphics are SO INTENSE.

YOU GUYS!!! :shades:

Edit: That leak is so legit. Jaffar is best character.

Edit 2: K. Rool, stop eating the flag. It's people too.

Edit 3: I just noticed Banjo & Kazooie. Now I'm sad.

Last edited:

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
Much like most online these days Smash Bros could use a matchmaking system. To avoid splitting the Smash Community and spreading it too thin across modes, all these types of games would go into a party playlist that you could join in with 3 other players and vote for which gametypes to play next.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Not only has the thread slowed down, it seems to have completely died for a bit.

The power of nothing to talk about, I suppose.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
The power of an uninteresting daily pic. It just kills everything... EVERYTHING!

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The power of an uninteresting daily pic. It just kills everything... EVERYTHING!
We did generate some discussion from it, but not much, really. Just the talk of Alfonzo possibly having an outline. Which he doesn't, but still.

D

Deleted member

^^^ Sakurai has gone from decent troll in Smash 64, to great troll in Melee, to all-time troll in Brawl, to just Gabe Newell level trolling for Smash for the Wii U and 3DS.
Wouldn't that imply that Brawl and Wii U/3DS never existed?

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Actually, I want to say one more thing about Lady Palutena.

That charm we were all so focused on. The one we thought was a Power Star. I'd like to re-examine the possibility of it being a Power Star. The reason we were all fooled is twofold. One, from our angle, it has the right shape, and two, it appears to have little dots resembling the eyes of the Power Star on it. After taking a closer look at her Brawl artwork, I think there's nothing about the spiny charm the Power Star was revealed to be that could make that illusion. Because, in the picture with Lady Palutena's Power Star charm, we can see there's less indent than the spiny charm. Also, the points on her spiny charm curve. The points of the charm in that picture don't.

Food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom