• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB 2015 Community Tier List

Stonefallow

Smash Cadet
Is that what the kids think in 2015? We can just spout whatever we want and when someone challenges us on said spout we cry, "OPINION, IT IS MINE!"

Tier lists are based on facts. Hitboxes, hurtboxes, options, recoveries, speed, etc. It's really hard to nail down those facts because smash is a fluid game and equally as difficult to present those facts in a way where everyone can agree, but they are facts.
Apparently sharing an opinion is spouting off, while condescending jackassary is perceived as a challenge. Judging from the responses I've gotten that seems to be what the kids think in 2015.

And sure tier lists are based on facts to some extent, but it is also in a large part an interpretation of facts. There is room for debate on the subject, especially considering there have been multiple changes including one as late as 2015. But I'm sure you'll jump on the bandwagon when characters move around again in 2020.

*double post

Last edited by a moderator:

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Seeing Luigi being dead last in the new Tier List is quite surprising. If Luigi is that much of a joke character, then a 'Luigi Tier' might as well be made for him, or at least an 'F Tier'.

I've seen the Tier List of "Marvel vs. Capcom 2", and there was actually a 'Roll Tier' made for Roll, as she is considered the worst character in that game. She is that much of a joke character, sadly. Apparently almost impossible to play as her competitively.

Heck, Donkey Kong is considered the worst character in the Japanese Tier List of "Super Smash Bros.", and it's all because there's less DI and other weird physics in the Japanese version. No advantageous matchups, and a losing match against every character, especially Kirby, which is considered to be virtually unwinnable. And because of that, I think either a 'Donkey Tier' or an 'F Tier' should be made for him in the Japanese Tier List. That's just my opinion on it, though.

Last edited:

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
smash 64 is really balanced overall... every character can be deadly & luigi is no exception. :)

people ought to focus on metagame advancement for the entire roster rather than concentrating on tier lists.

Last edited:

Luigiguy42

Smash Cadet
I just want to point out ness and Luigi should be much higher. First off, IIRC, Luigi is the same as Mario except these small changes:
Luigi's fireballs are slower and do not fall
Mario's up-b jumps at an angle whereas Luigi goes straight up
Luigi's down-b is slightly better recovery than Mario's
Luigi's up-b.
Luigi's fireballs and f-smash do 1% less.
Both down-bs do 14%, however, Luigi's launches.
Luigi's f-tilt does 13% vs Mario's 16%
Luigi's f-throw does 16% vs Mario's 12%
The opposite is true for their b-throws
Dash attacks are different
IIRC, Luigi's down taunt damages, but I can't seem to do it.
Luigi's jumps are 4/3 the height of Mario's
Luigi is slightly slower than Mario. For every 2 seconds Mario runs, Luigi takes 2.125 seconds to run that distance.
Luigi's up-b goes slightly higher.
Luigi's down tilt is weaker but faster.

Second off, I just wanted to point out that I do much better with ness than most characters above him (except pika/Kirby) so he has to be OKAY

Heheheheheh get it? Ness? OKAY???

No? Fine I'll leave :(

EDIT: also does anyone know how to get a popo melee icon in your sig?

Last edited:

Morin0

Smash Lord
Luigiguy42 is saying that Luigi should be higher in the tier list, guys. He's not being biased at all. :awesome:

One crucial thing you forgot is that he's slower in the air than Mario. That, coupled with his higher jump than Mario, makes him a bit awkward when he's in the air. In other words, he has a hard time approaching.

It's icsmelee with colons on each side.

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
My comments in bold. The general response is: 64 is based on ground and aerial movement just like later games but especially short hop movement unless you have advanced techs. Floaty characters suck outside of Kirby (and Jiggs to an extent) as their movement is worse.

I just want to point out ness and Luigi should be much higher. First off, IIRC, Luigi is the same as Mario except these small changes:
Luigi's fireballs are slower and do not fall-Makes them worse as you can't use them for recovering, spacing, and a lot of other things. Luigi's fireballs suck, arguably the worst projectile in the game outside of Ness's PK fire.
Mario's up-b jumps at an angle whereas Luigi goes straight up: Angled is better for ledge DI. It's also semi-easier to sweet-spot and has more angles
Luigi's down-b is slightly better recovery than Mario's: While it is more powerful, the singular hits makes it actually worse. The multiple hits of Mario's make it harder to deal with.
Luigi's up-b. I won't disagree with this but it is way worse for recovery.
Luigi's fireballs and f-smash do 1% less. I.E. they are worse
Both down-bs do 14%, however, Luigi's launches. See above, Luigi is better for kills, Mario has better for recovery. As Down b is more useful for recovery, Luigi's is worse.
Luigi's f-tilt does 13% vs Mario's 16% I.E. it's worse
Luigi's f-throw does 16% vs Mario's 12% Back throw is semi-arguably better than forward throw as you can jump on the stage and throw them back off. Luigi's is worse for this reason.
The opposite is true for their b-throws See above.
Dash attacks are different: While both aren't good
IIRC, Luigi's down taunt damages, but I can't seem to do it. The hitbox is puny, it's also not nearly as good as the later games as it has less knockback and it somehow has a smaller hitbox.
Luigi's jumps are 4/3 the height of Mario's. Makes short hops a lot worse.
Luigi is slightly slower than Mario. For every 2 seconds Mario runs, Luigi takes 2.125 seconds to run that distance. I.E. he can't run up and grab or aerial nearly as fast. Slower is worse.
Luigi's up-b goes slightly higher. It's still worse for recovery as it only has 1 hit,.
Luigi's down tilt is weaker but faster. Mario's has better knockback.

Second off, I just wanted to point out that I do much better with ness than most characters above him (except pika/Kirby) so he has to be OKAY Just because you do well with Ness doesn't mean Ness is good. Tier lists apply specifically for top/high level play. The last time a top Ness even placed well in a top level tournament outside of J version where Ness is better is Apex 2013. Don't bother with tier lists much below this outside of Pikachu/Kirby being the easy top 2.

Heheheheheh get it? Ness? OKAY???

No? Fine I'll leave :(

EDIT: also does anyone know how to get a popo melee icon in your sig? FYI, it's for premium members only in terms of profile. Otherwise, see the other comment

Last edited:

NTA

Smash Lord
"Dash attacks are different: While both aren't good"
Mario has top tier dash attack. it's just under utilized because 99% of the people that play mario don't know how to use him. If Studstill played Mario, you guys would witness the true play style.

Brendog2

Smash Rookie
Good list, but how are the tiers organized? What I mean is which tier is "top tier" or "low tier"?

Okuser

Smash Ace
Kirby shouldn't be listed in "S tier" with Pikachu, he should be at the top of the "A tier". very misleading to put Kirby next to pikachu like that since Pikachu is significantly better.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Before anyone else post: Yes this list is old. Don't bother commenting.

And yes, Yoshi is clearly 4th now.

Luigi is still bad.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Bumping this in case there are ever questions as this list I helped make was old and there's been well updates.

Yes, Yoshi is 4th best. Thanks Wizzrobe, Prince, and the 99 Yoshi mains in the various regions for showing this. Fox is B tier with Jigglypuff. Some people put Pika in it's own tier with Kirby/Falcon/Yoshi in A. Mario is borderline low with some people putting Mario in it's own tier so it's not in low tier events or sometimes with Samus for whatever reason.

Everyone still argues all the bottom tiers but Ness is the worst if if it's a floaty dominated event and Link/Luigi/DK are argued the worst usually.

Last edited:
Top Bottom