• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle's type resistance

Astartes

Smash Rookie
I know that Charizard's resistance to grass attacks and ivysaur's resistance to water attacks are basically useless but 19 characters in the game use some kind of fire type move so i am wondering if u think that type resistance affects any of the match-ups at all for Squirtle

Astartes

Smash Rookie
ok so rob is a little better but wat about snake im pretty sure that all his smashes and three of his specials use fire damage... of course i might be wrong

Vermy

Smash Champion
Diddy's barrel, GaW's fsmash, oli's red pikmin, all explosives, luigi's upB and I thinks zss' side b are the only fire elements you'd care about taking les knockback from.

What's not cool is being caught in ness' pk fire and zard's/bowsers flamethrowers. Less knockback = harder to sdi.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Diddy's barrel, GaW's fsmash, oli's red pikmin, all explosives, luigi's upB and I thinks zss' side b are the only fire elements you'd care about taking les knockback from.

What's not cool is being caught in ness' pk fire and zard's/bowsers flamethrowers. Less knockback = harder to sdi.
Don't forget the Falcon Punch.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Wait a second. Types inflict more to different Pokemon? I thought that wasn't the case. O___o Or did I read that wrong?

Vermy

Smash Champion
Grass type does 10% more knockback to Squirtle and fire does 10% less.
Water type does 10% more knockback to Charizard and grass does 10% less.

Fire type does 10% more knockback to Ivysaur and water does 10% less.

So outside of PT dittos, Squirtle gets a defense buff from fire and Ivy gets f*cked over (yet again) and dies earlier from fire based moves. Snakes C4 kills Ivy at some ridiculous percent like 65%.

Astartes

Smash Rookie
How much does this actually affect any of the match-ups especially against snake.

T-block

B2B TST
10% knock back is actually quite a bit, so it definitely has some effect on the matchup. It's not the only reason why Ivy is disadvantaged against Snake or anything though.

Luigi's up-b kills Ivysaur at like 40% thanks to this fire weakness.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I think it's actually pretty funny because fire weakness is horrible for Ivysaur but fire resistance for Squirtle isn't that helpful because it still dies early from all the big fire attacks (Snake, Mario, etc.) I mean, I think it only helps versus a handful of match ups, whereas Ivysaur's weakness makes a significant difference in every match-up involving fire.

I mean, it's a "buff", but think like this:
The negatives you get for Ivysaur outweigh the positives you get for Squirtle.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Yup, it appears they had the idea when they first made the game, but forgot to balance out the number of fire, water, and grass attacks. Overall its a disadvantage because squirtle is so light you wont notice any difference at all and most people with fire type attacks (snake, Mario, olimar) ill be KOing you with a non fire attack

Top Bottom