• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle for Smash Switch/Squirtle Support Thread

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I need to correct my dream above:

I would actually want Pokemon Trainer back above Squirtle, but functioning nothing like he did in Brawl. Instead, using a series of summoning sprites (another thread suggested these be riding pagers, great idea), and primarily functioning around using the Pokeball as an item, to "capture" other players (meaning primarily incapacitating them in various ways, forcing the player of PT to use strategy in battle just like in his own games).

This with the return of Squirtle and Ivysaur is the dream. But unfortunately I don't think this dream will happen, and I'm a pretty big dreamer.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Pokemon Trainer was my third favorite character in Brawl. Not because of his concept (actually in spite of it), but because I absolutely loved Squirtle and Charizard. I was so happy they at least kept Charizard, but I really missed Squirtle. I'd be all for the little guy coming back, but Ivysaur can go die in a hole.

UnknownM

Smash Cadet
Definitely would be all in in having :squirtle: back. Poor guy was held back in the tier list by the switching mechanics in Brawl it seems.

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
Squirtle was one of my favorite characters in Brawl so I hope it will return.

As far as moveset changes go, I think Water Gun should do damage. It's side special could be Aqua Jet: it surrounds it's entire body with water and flies forwards, delivering multiple small hits. The angle can also be changed slightly. Or if Pikachu gets a new side special, it could get Skull Bash, since it was the signature move of the Squirtle evolution line in Gen II.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I’d rather they add Blastoise to represent Pokemon Red/Blue
He could retain a similar moveset to squirtle just made much heavier and larger

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I didn't play Squirtle because I wanted a water-type moveset, or because there weren't enough Gen 1 mons in Smash. I really like Squirtle as a starter. Of course Charizard is the coolest of the three final forms, but Squirtle is cooler than Charmander, especially after watching the first season of the anime. Also, it's nice to have him as an unevolved mon, unlike the other two who are so much more popular than their evolved form that people often forget that Raichu and Wigglytuff exist.

Honestly, I really really want Squirtle back, but I feel he'd be a little empty without the three-in-one mechanic. It was really cool to have three different starters, with three different evolutionary stages in one character. If they moved the transformation to a taunt (side taunt, so you could also choose which mon to bring out, e.g. left for lower dex number, right for higher), that'd be unimaginably awesome since then they can keep the mechanic that made the Trainer unique, but not sacrifice a down special.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I feel like Pokémon trainer was a unique idea but unless they are bringing back transformation characters I think squirtle and ivysaur have no hope

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Nah, please not. We've already got Charizard as heavyweight character. If anything, then Ivysaur should return as midweight and Squirtle as the featherweight. :)

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Squirtle should return. He was a very popular character in the Pokémon series. More popular than Ivysaur who was in the shadow of Bulbasaur and Venusaur. But the Pokémon Trainer? I don't think transformations should return after their removal improved Charizard, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Zelda and Sheik. If the Trainer returns, Charizard would lose his Flare Blitz and the return of transformations could mean Zero Suit Samus players would be running from the Smash Ball. Squirtle should definately return. Ivysaur can return. Charizard would be returning. The Pokémon Trainer? Please don't. People may like him and it would be cool if he could get alternate costumes of Leaf, May, Dawn, Ethan, Brenden, Lucas, Calem, Serena, etc. But his inclusion would hurt other characters on the roster and Squirtle and Ivysaur could get improvements when they have their own slot.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
As with any Smash vet, I want Squrtile back. He was a lot of fun to play as.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
How's the trainer going to return as a standalone character? He was in the background the whole time while Ivysaur, Squirtle and Charizard was in the field. He had no moveset. To return as a standalone character, he would need a completely new moveset and that wouldn't feel like the Trainer we had in Brawl.Trainers are so reliant on Pokémon that they would always have Pokémon doing the fighting for them, so it would be completely out of character for a Pokémon Trainer to be actually fighting on his own. It's better to just cut him and give Squirtle and Ivysaur the benefits of no stamina mechanic and no Special Move slot wasted on switching Pokémon. He's better off as a cameo in a Pokémon stage. Because that's what he is, a glorified stage hazard that was put on the character select screen. Sakurai could try to bring everyone back in the game including Pichu, Young Link, Wolf, Ice Climbers, etc. But the Pokémon Trainer would be a tougher challenge to implement. If he comes back, then the transformations would come back, which is bad for Smash 4 Charizard mains. Would Sakurai want to add a mechanic back in if it's been shown that the game improved without it?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
If he comes back, then the transformations would come back, which is bad for Smash 4 Charizard mains. Would Sakurai want to add a mechanic back in if it's been shown that the game improved without it?
Well, I liked the transformations. I actually think that removing them made the game worse.

True, I never really played Shiek or ZSS, but I liked that I could transform. They are after all the same person. I do think Samus/ZSS was poorly handled since avoiding the Smash Ball is counterintuitive, but I just avoided a down special if I wanted to not transform for the others. I have a tough time controlling Zelda's new Phantom or Shiek's weird flop that came out of literally nowhere.

I thought the Trainer excellently used the mechanic, since each of the Pokémon was different and had to be used differently. Yes, that meant I had to learn how to play three completely different movesets, but I did because I wanted to. It really made him unique. True, there are ways it could have been improved - fix the transformation times to be instant like they were in Melee so mid-match switching was a viable option, balance the type effectiveness so Ivy wasn't getting extra knockback from half the cast, and allow switching to a specific character - but I really miss that.

One of the biggest complaints about transformations is that it removes the down special move. Trainer would really benefit from having the transformation as a side taunt, so you can use that to pull out a desired mon and not have to cycle through to get the one you want. Otherside, I think that there are enough moves that a single dSpecial isn't a make-or-break.

If your only reason for wanting them out is for the Sm4sh Charizard mains, what about the Brawl Charizard mains?

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
There are Brawl Charizard mains who tries to keep Charizard out, right? Sm4sh must be a relief for them. Or maybe they liked the stamina gimmick. But I think that character changing should be reserved for it's own mode. Other fighting games like Marvel vs Capcom have you fighting as a team with one character fighting and another character ready to be switched in. A mode like that would be a great compromise between players who like transformations and who doesn't. You can pair up Zelda & Sheik, Samus & ZSS and Squirtle/Ivysaur & Charizard to imitate the Brawl playstyle or you can even pair up two unrelated characters like Sonic & Meta Knight, Pikachu & Lucina, Mario & Cloud, Ice Climbers & Wii Fit Trainer, etc. Sort of like a Team Smash except one character per team would be on screen and you can switch characters by holding the taunt button for a second until your reserve character loads.

EMT~

Smash Cadet
Squirtle is back in Smash Switch! A shame they got rid of shellshifting shenanigans from Brawl/PM, but I'll be having a blast playing him anyway.

Kamina shades alt costume please daddy Sakurai

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Didn't ever expect him to make a return (with Ivysaur on top, nonetheless!), but it feels so sweet to play him again after settling on PM with him. Since I've also fiddled with Zard before in Smash 4, there might be some chance I might pick up PKMN Trainer this time.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I feel like Pokémon trainer was a unique idea but unless they are bringing back transformation characters I think squirtle and ivysaur have no hope
I’m so glad I was wrong
I’m so happy to have them back

D

Deleted member

Glad Squirtle is back. Welcome back little water turtle.

Drifting

Smash Cadet
NNID
Driftie
I pretty much mained Squirtle in Brawl and Project M, so I just wanted to drop by and comment on how hype I am for my turtle boy.

Wish ZeRo would stop calling him top tier lol, I want him to myself :007:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
So glad Pokemon Trainer is back, including Squirtle. I like the updates the tiny turtle’s gotten too, like his fair for example.

I do hope Sakurai fixes Squirtle’s colors before the final build, though, like he did with Charizard. They all look samey to me. Maybe they look better live on a bigger screen? Ivysaur could use it too but at least its bulb is pronounced.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ya know, Squirtle is my favorite Starter pokemon, and in my favorite Pokemon line.

But I've never really cared for him in Smash because Squirtle isn't my favorite pokemon - Blastoise is.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, Pokemon Go is adding Squirtles with Sunglasses.

Squirtle Squad.

Get with it, Sakurai

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wait, does that mean you could turn it into a Blastoise with sunglasses? That would be glorious.
That's what I want to know.

It works that way with hatted Pikachu and Raichu

I asked Pokemon's official twitter, but it's not like they are going to reply to me

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So, Pokemon Go is adding Squirtles with Sunglasses.

Squirtle Squad.

Get with it, Sakurai
Would this mean that when switching Pokemon, the Ivysaur and Charizard would similarly get the sunglasses?
I hope not. I'd prefer in that set that Ivysaur get a hat and Charizard a tie.

(pardon the double)

It really aggitates me that characters with numbers, i.e. these three Pokemon, get less screen time than the Echoes.

Even on this board we list the echo fighters on the character forum, yet Pokemon Trainer's 3-in-1 is relegated to not listing the Pokemon out.
Not to mention, looking at the Pokemon selection on the Smash Website with the Trainer as the figurehead... looks creatively boring.
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pichu, Mewtwo, Trainer, Lucario, Greninja. They are all Blue and Pink and Yellow.

I understand the character of Trainer is unique specifically because of the switching... and that is a fair thing to represent the Pokemon world.
But is Squirtle really less of a unique character than Daisy or Richter?

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I think its not so much that he's less of a creative character as he is less of a new character. New characters get all the hype and unfortunately PT came out when Newcomers didn't get as much fanfare. Though honestly I don't see the issue. I love squirtle; he's my favorite poke and all but I don't mind that he is part of PT's shadow. Personally I like how Red is juxtaposed from the rest of the pokemon. It adds more divesity to that selection and makes the pokemon series seem a bit less inflated than it actually is.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I really miss shellshifting a lot. Is there anything that can replace it?

Kith

Smash Ace
I really miss shellshifting a lot. Is there anything that can replace it?
I've been desperately looking for something similar but haven't come up with anything yet. If you have tilt c-stick set up, you could

run forward -> shell-shift back -> f-tilt forward

to do kind of a sliding forward tilt but it's no where near the distance you'd get from shell-shifting in Brawl.

Kith

Smash Ace
Ok so I'm actually really liking pivot canceling with Squirtle. Not so much for the mobility, but because f-tilt is less of a commitment than f-air or dash attack when approaching. I've been catching a lot of people by approaching with a pivot cancelled f-tilt and then a retreating n-air or f-air. Still experimenting but I think this is gonna be a big part of my play style

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Squirtle is my favorite pokemon and the first pokemon I ever started with in the pokemon games; Pokemon Blue was my first pokemon game I ever played. Squirtle has been among my most wanted to return to Smash Ultimate. After the notorious “Everyone is Here” trailer, though I would have preferred Squirtle as his own fighter, I’m happy that he is at least playable.

Top Bottom