• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spring Man: Springs Into Action - Spring Fans, Let's Fill the Spring Stands

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
I'll never stop supporting our Spring boi, it sucks we may have to wait till smash 6, it sucks we'll probably get made fun of for awhile, but we gotta keep going guys and support Spring Man for the future

Boiyoyoing my comrades.....boyoyoing

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
alright so i'm just happy arms got a character at all and some of the min min fans in here like smashing ramen i have nothing but respect for but jesus

tfw one of your most wanted gets assist'd, you have to deal with people always saying another character is better, they announce the next character is from that series, then not only does the character you want get cucked even in the trailer and official art, but a whole legion of fans of the other character start ****ing on you and claiming theirs is officially the new mascot, which all of this probably also ends up drastically lowering your character's chances for next game unless he gets tons of fan demand

i'm trying hard to not let these people cloud my perception of min min fans as i've been on the recieving end of that mindset and it's super unfair to the actually good fans but holy ****
images (2).jpeg

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Trolling/bait
alright so i'm just happy arms got a character at all and some of the min min fans in here like smashing ramen i have nothing but respect for but jesus

tfw one of your most wanted gets assist'd, you have to deal with people always saying another character is better, they announce the next character is from that series, then not only does the character you want get cucked even in the trailer and official art, but a whole legion of fans of the other character start ****ing on you and claiming theirs is officially the new mascot, which all of this probably also ends up drastically lowering your character's chances for next game unless he gets tons of fan demand

i'm trying hard to not let these people cloud my perception of min min fans as i've been on the recieving end of that mindset and it's super unfair to the actually good fans but holy ****
View attachment 275759
Exactly. I have no respect for Min Min fans. My least favorite kind of Smash fans are the ones who try to get Character A to steal a slot from a far more deserving Character B. AND TO HAVE THEM SUCCEED (multiple times, counting Decidueye and Slime)!? I hope that Min Min gets cut from Smash 6. Only then will Spring Man fans finally get some justice in this biased series. (or you know, Spring Man actually gets in before Goku. but that will never happen.)

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So the main reason Sakurai didn’t put Spring Man in Smash was not because he is already an Assist Trophy but because of a manga character who has the same name? :rolleyes:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
So the main reason Sakurai didn’t put Spring Man in Smash was not because he is already an Assist Trophy but because of a manga character who has the same name? :rolleyes:
I have not seen a worse reasoning for a character snub ever. You might as well just say "I don't like spring man hoes mad hoes mad hahaha funny"

Hat Goomba is a better counterargument.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm pretty sure that was a joke.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Trolling
To all other Spring Man fans, I offer my condolences. Spring Man wasn't really my first choice, but the protag getting snubbed ain't exactly a good feeling, especially not to you guys who wanted him.

Exactly. I have no respect for Min Min fans. My least favorite kind of Smash fans are the ones who try to get Character A to steal a slot from a far more deserving Character B. AND TO HAVE THEM SUCCEED (multiple times, counting Decidueye and Slime)!? I hope that Min Min gets cut from Smash 6. Only then will Spring Man fans finally get some justice in this biased series. (or you know, Spring Man actually gets in before Goku. but that will never happen.)
To YOU, however. If you won't respect me, I won't respect you, so...

stay mad kid enjoy having a 1/59 chance of seeing your boy on the off chance you can convince your mates to turn on items, min min win win baby

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure that was a joke.
Really? it looked more like "get rekt Spring fans" to me.

And the worst part is, there's not gonna be another ARMS rep, because we have our (not) "protagonist". Sakurai has absolutely no reason to go back to ARMS next game. and even then, why would he add spring man when he could add another incorrect (albeit better) ARMS rep?

Does it make sense why I call him less likely than Goku now?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That being said, did ARMS ever establish an official main protagonist/mascot? Springtron is based on Spring Man, yes, but other fighters have won in-game competitions, including Min Min, and there's quite a few mascots, so it's a bit muddled in that area and allows elbow room, methinks.
Sure enough, my assumption was proven entirely correct, more or less, Yabuki considers everyone to be the protag. Sorry folks, maybe next time.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Exactly. I have no respect for Min Min fans. My least favorite kind of Smash fans are the ones who try to get Character A to steal a slot from a far more deserving Character B. AND TO HAVE THEM SUCCEED (multiple times, counting Decidueye and Slime)!?
who said Spring Man is far more deserving than Min Min?
and who said the same about Decidueye and Slime too?
Decidueye, moreover, is by definition just one of the three starters of its region...

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
who said Spring Man is far more deserving than Min Min?
and who said the same about Decidueye and Slime too?
Decidueye, moreover, is by definition just one of the three starters of its region...
ARMS was built around Spring Man. It's his game. Who has the most promotional material? Not Min Min. It's like building up Terry as the protagonist of Fatal Fury/KOF or Ryu for Street fighter only to go "nah. let's add Tung Fu Ru/Zangeif". Not even a character who was an important character like Chun-Li/M. Bison, Geese Howard or Max Brass/Dr. Coyle no no no. we got Min Min.
Slime is in a similar boat. Heroes are one-off protagonists. Nobody knew who "Erdrick" was, but almost every single gamer knew who Slime was. Because he's the mascot of the series.
Decidueye was a VERY popular pokemon before incineroar got in. While he's just an "alola starter", so is Incineroar. Decidueye had more going for him until Kencineroar happened, that's for sure.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Decidueye was a VERY popular pokemon before incineroar got in. While he's just an "alola starter", so is Incineroar. Decidueye had more going for him until Kencineroar happened, that's for sure.
That is a good point, given that Rowlet was polled to be Gen 7's most popular pokemon.

Spatman

Smash Ace
ok, and Min Min was the most popular ARMS character, by judging from the same things that run for Decidueye, i.e. internet polls and internet requests :)

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
ok, and Min Min was the most popular ARMS character, by judging from the same things that run for Decidueye, i.e. internet polls and internet requests :)
Thing is, she didn't get in due to her popularity, she got in because of a special request from the director.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Thing is, she didn't get in due to her popularity, she got in because of a special request from the director.
we don't know for sure if Sakurai said the truth (I think so, tho), but don't forget that Sakurai said also that he had already thought to Min Min and Ninjara

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well now that Min Min is in, we can work out how to Semi-Clone Spring Man from it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well now that Min Min is in, we can work out how to Semi-Clone Spring Man from it.
Spring Man can work as a semi-clone. All they have to do is give him his own ARMS instead of rehashing Min Min's ARMS. His ARMS work differently from her ARMS.

Kinda like how I keep saying Alph can work as a semi-clone with Rock Pikmin instead of Red/Blue/Yellow/Purple/White Pikmin. :4olimar::4alph:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Nice mentality. Except the director's favorite gets preference. What a cop out.
Ok everyone is protagonist. But Spring Man is the protagonist among protagonists. That’s like adding Wart over Bowser because they’re both villains of the original Super Mario Series. Would you pick Wart over Bowser? Then why Min Min over Spring Man?

Edit: Or take Fatal Fury for example. Terry, Andy and Joe are all the protagonists. Does that make Joe as favorable a pick as Terry? Of course not!

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
To YOU, however. If you won't respect me, I won't respect you, so...

stay mad kid enjoy having a 1/59 chance of seeing your boy on the off chance you can convince your mates to turn on items, min min win win baby
Condolences or not, that's a pretty good way to breed further resentment.

Kinda like how I keep saying Alph can work as a semi-clone with Rock Pikmin instead of Red/Blue/Yellow/Purple/White Pikmin. :4olimar:
Definitely! Hoping for Louie myself, but Pikmin seriously needs more representation.

Last edited:

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Condolences or not, that's a pretty good way to breed further resentment.
As opposed to what you're doing? By in your other posts agreing with that troll account thats hating on characters who made it for the sole reason they are not the ones he predicted and thus dont "deserve" a "slot" (both prejudiced notions that smash fans are far past falling into). All the 3 characters he's hating on are themselves fairly "deserving", have tons of their own fans, GREAT movesets and lots of personality, and Sakurai proved all 3 deserved to be in, to the happiness of their players and fans

...yet because its not his predictions in a forum (which makes it clear that some people dont know the difference between thinking something is possible and having a reason to like it as Sakurai's creativity is seen as "treason") him and you think you have the right to rain in their fan's parade for the crime of being happy their character made it? I'm positive that neither him nor you care for neither Spingman nor the other 2 he mentioned as the arguments are horrible baits one would expect from a troll attempt in 2013 from someone angry at Duck Hunt, Robin or something. The hate against other's favorites and surprises is the same, the egotistical view that only one's favorite is good too.

I would be fine with Springman but I'm also extremely happy that we live in a world were Hero, Incineroar and Minmin made it as 3 of the most interesting and fun smash additions in history. And if people want to be so petty as to hate a character for not being who they know personally or not their specific choice, TOO BAD, they dont have the right to ruin other's fun, they are here to stay and Ultimate is now forever with them, either get used or play another game.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I would be fine with Springman but I'm also extremely happy that we live in a world were Hero, Incineroar and Minmin made it as 3 of the most interesting and fun smash additions in history. And if people want to be so petty as to hate a character for not being who they know personally or not their specific choice, TOO BAD, they dont have the right to ruin other's fun, they are here to stay and Ultimate is now forever with them, either get used or play another game.
I had absolutely no problems with Hero or Incineroar, in fact I'm probably one of Incineroar's few defenders! I do think they could've mixed a couple more actual Pokemon moves into his moveset, but I really dislike all of the hate he gets. Incineroar was one of my favorite Pokemon from Gen 7.

I can see why MimMin was chosen and I do love the creativity that went into her moveset (it even sets the stage for weapon-switching, a mechanic I hope they use for Dragonborn), I'm just upset with all of the mean-spirited stuff going towards Spring Man, both from fans and from the official art. And unlike Chrom, Spring Man doesn't have another Smash game on the horizon to get a second chance.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
To everyone who has called me a troll: I assure you I was not being a troll and was simply too angry for my own good. My opinions on those characters are my own, and I should not have pushed them as fact. I do not expect forgiveness of any kind for my words or actions.

I fully acknowledge that my behavior has done little more than invoke the ire of Min Min fans, which does nobody any good. Since I don’t feel that I can bring anything good to this thread because of my repeated negativity on SmashBoards as a whole, even long before Min Min’s or even an ARMS rep’s confirmation, I think I will be leaving this thread for a bit. Could be a day, could more likely be longer. Possibly even never return.

I apologize to everyone involved.

May Spring Man get his chance another day.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
ARMS is healthy.

Spring Man has a good chance of getting into the nest game.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Now I wonder what is Spring Man's chance for second ARMS rep.

Sakurai's second MW is Ninjara. If he doesn't change mind in few years, that might mean Spring Man is now doomed

I personally prefer Spring Man mainly cause he has the potential to accompany some other echoes/alts from ARMS. But no doubt Ninjara is very cool.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Hey, gang. Never posted in here before, but Spring Man was my preferred choice for an ARMS rep and Min Min's inclusion over him is definitely a bummer. However, I'm hoping I can bring a little bit of hope in this trying time. I've been thinking about Spring Man a fair bit these past few days and there's a few things I definitely want to discuss.

First, I know many have been saying Min Min's now the ARMS mascot and how Spring Man's irrelevant, but that's just not true. Crossover appearances don't determine everything, otherwise Tron Bonne and Zero would be the new faces of Mega Man. Not only has much of ARMS' pre-existing marketing and brand identity utilized Spring Man as the mascot, but there's a lot of subtle winks and nods to Spring Man in Min Min's presentation that makes him far more visible than the other NPCs:
  • He's the first character to grab the Smash invitation.
  • He has the most total screentime in the trailer (barring Min Min, obviously).
  • He's front and centre in Min Min's Final Smash.
  • Spring Stadium, his stage, beat out the Ramen Bowl in being the Smash ARMS stage.
  • Sakurai specifically addressed the expectation that many had for him and how many view him as the protagonist of ARMS.
  • He and Biff are the only other ARMS characters in the art made by the ARMS team for Min Min's inclusion.
It's very clear that the ARMS team and Nintendo want to continue using the character and having him be the character most associated with the brand. This isn't the end of Spring Man, far from it. If there's anything we've learned since the March Nintendo Direct, Nintendo likes ARMS far more than we initially thought. They really seem to think ARMS has legs (hehe) and we're basically guaranteed to see more ARMS content. ARMS 2 seems more like a when than an if right now. I'm not sure it'll will happen on Switch, but I'd be extremely surprised if a sequel doesn't come sometime in the near future. Likewise, Dark Horse Comics confirmed that their ARMS graphic novel is still in development. Unless the plot and direction of the graphic novel massively changed, Spring Man is both the protagonist of the book and the lineage of the Spring Man title looks to be a key theme. I think it has the potential to be really successful, introduce ARMS to a new audience, and grow both the brand and Spring Man.

Plus, as controversial as this may be, Spring Man missing the boat seemed to help his character in the greater culture of Smash. Now, don't get me wrong, watching him lose the invitation stings a lot. However, it's changed the way his character is perceived for the better. Going into the reveal, many saw Spring Man as the "boring option", the generic protagonist who had his spot in Smash handed to him on a silver platter. Now? Many see him as underdog, a guy who just had the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. That's a far better position to be in. Even in the past few days, I've seen folks that were indifferent or outright hostile to Spring Man's inclusion are now open to Spring Man getting in as a redemption arc. It's very similar to what happened to Chrom after Robin's reveal six years ago, and that was so good at recasting him to the point where he got in thanks to fan requests.

So, how are his chances for the next Smash game? Honestly, if things play out how they look like they're going to play out, pretty good! Series that are active and have a large cast of characters seem to be the first in line to get additional reps in future Smash games, so that bodes well given both ARMS large cast and bright-looking future. Plus, another ARMS character could be a good use of development, as they can use Min Min's mechanics as a base. It's not quite as easy as adding an echo, but it's easier than adding a new character completely from scratch. His biggest roadblock is the other character that Sakurai considered for Min Min's spot, Ninjara. While Sakurai seems to like Ninjara, Spring Man has the advantage of being more pivotal to the brand and being Yabuki's other favourite character (which is extremely good, given that's the entire reason Min Min got the heads up in the first place. He's not a shoe-in and he does have minor conditions to overcome, but he's got more than a fighting shot.

So, as dark as things seem now, I really think some light is coming in the future. While it sucks to lose, part of going "boi-oi-oi-oing!" is being able to bounce back. This isn't the end, not by a long shot.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Hey, gang. Never posted in here before, but Spring Man was my preferred choice for an ARMS rep and Min Min's inclusion over him is definitely a bummer. However, I'm hoping I can bring a little bit of hope in this trying time. I've been thinking about Spring Man a fair bit these past few days and there's a few things I definitely want to discuss.

First, I know many have been saying Min Min's now the ARMS mascot and how Spring Man's irrelevant, but that's just not true. Crossover appearances don't determine everything, otherwise Tron Bonne and Zero would be the new faces of Mega Man. Not only has much of ARMS' pre-existing marketing and brand identity utilized Spring Man as the mascot, but there's a lot of subtle winks and nods to Spring Man in Min Min's presentation that makes him far more visible than the other NPCs:
  • He's the first character to grab the Smash invitation.
  • He has the most total screentime in the trailer (barring Min Min, obviously).
  • He's front and centre in Min Min's Final Smash.
  • Spring Stadium, his stage, beat out the Ramen Bowl in being the Smash ARMS stage.
  • Sakurai specifically addressed the expectation that many had for him and how many view him as the protagonist of ARMS.
  • He and Biff are the only other ARMS characters in the art made by the ARMS team for Min Min's inclusion.
It's very clear that the ARMS team and Nintendo want to continue using the character and having him be the character most associated with the brand. This isn't the end of Spring Man, far from it. If there's anything we've learned since the March Nintendo Direct, Nintendo likes ARMS far more than we initially thought. They really seem to think ARMS has legs (hehe) and we're basically guaranteed to see more ARMS content. ARMS 2 seems more like a when than an if right now. I'm not sure it'll will happen on Switch, but I'd be extremely surprised if a sequel doesn't come sometime in the near future. Likewise, Dark Horse Comics confirmed that their ARMS graphic novel is still in development. Unless the plot and direction of the graphic novel massively changed, Spring Man is both the protagonist of the book and the lineage of the Spring Man title looks to be a key theme. I think it has the potential to be really successful, introduce ARMS to a new audience, and grow both the brand and Spring Man.

Plus, as controversial as this may be, Spring Man missing the boat seemed to help his character in the greater culture of Smash. Now, don't get me wrong, watching him lose the invitation stings a lot. However, it's changed the way his character is perceived for the better. Going into the reveal, many saw Spring Man as the "boring option", the generic protagonist who had his spot in Smash handed to him on a silver platter. Now? Many see him as underdog, a guy who just had the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. That's a far better position to be in. Even in the past few days, I've seen folks that were indifferent or outright hostile to Spring Man's inclusion are now open to Spring Man getting in as a redemption arc. It's very similar to what happened to Chrom after Robin's reveal six years ago, and that was so good at recasting him to the point where he got in thanks to fan requests.

So, how are his chances for the next Smash game? Honestly, if things play out how they look like they're going to play out, pretty good! Series that are active and have a large cast of characters seem to be the first in line to get additional reps in future Smash games, so that bodes well given both ARMS large cast and bright-looking future. Plus, another ARMS character could be a good use of development, as they can use Min Min's mechanics as a base. It's not quite as easy as adding an echo, but it's easier than adding a new character completely from scratch. His biggest roadblock is the other character that Sakurai considered for Min Min's spot, Ninjara. While Sakurai seems to like Ninjara, Spring Man has the advantage of being more pivotal to the brand and being Yabuki's other favourite character (which is extremely good, given that's the entire reason Min Min got the heads up in the first place. He's not a shoe-in and he does have minor conditions to overcome, but he's got more than a fighting shot.

So, as dark as things seem now, I really think some light is coming in the future. While it sucks to lose, part of going "boi-oi-oi-oing!" is being able to bounce back. This isn't the end, not by a long shot.
I know I said I wanted to leave for a bit but this person is right. If we want to get in, we have to push beyond this. This is when we need to get serious, and try to gain as much support as humanly possible. If that happens, we may just be able to get the second half of the Chrom situation that other people have been mentioning. Even if it’s a microscopically small chance, it’s a heck of a lot better than nothing.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I decided to have pizza for dinner tonight in honor of Spring Man! Ordered a large pizza with Alfredo sauce (instead of red sauce), topped with jalapeño and pepperoni, calling it the Spring-a-ling! Modeled it after the pizza Spring Man is eating in this official art, it was pretty good!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Condolences to the Springman fans.

I feel like the trailer did have a few positive points though: namely everyone who prior thought Springman was 'boring' saw just what an expressive and over the top character he actually is.

I've also seen a lot of people refer to him as the new Chrom and I can definitely see it.
Whilst certain people are crapping on him now I think he'll bounce back with a bunch of impassioned fans who now view him as an underdog and his support will only get more vocal from here on out.

I didn't really have a horse in this ARMS race, but Springman is definitely a better pick in my mind than Ninjara, Sakurai's other favourite.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by to this thread to offer my condolences. I was sure he might have happened but Executive Decision took place and Min Min overcame. A pity. Since from the trailer and from some fan art, he does seem to fit in with the rest of the roster. And I like how he has a friendship with :ultlittlemac:.

Oh well. Maybe next time. If :ultchrom: made it after some time, why not Springman? He is anything but an impossible. He is an AT, a spirit, a stage cameo, a Mii Fighter and an online profile. A character it's almost like the obvious next step. So keep on the hope, my dudes.

Keep in believing guys, I'm sure one day he'll make the jump.

:bowser:.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I was playing on Spring Stadium earlier today and noticed something interesting.

As most players have noticed, the jumbotron on the left side of the stage displays a splash screen for each ARMS fighter. These splash screens feature all new renders for each of the ARMS cast. That's not a new observation, obviously. I've seen quite a few posts wondering what the origins of these renders were.

What's interesting, however, is how each render follows a format. The character's face in the render is put at the front next to their logo, with their background being the character's primary colours and their full render (albeit desaturated and slightly transparent). However, there is one exception to this format. Spring Man instead uses two renders, one which shows his face and another, different one that shows his back. Not even Min Min, the character who made it as DLC in Smash, got this treatment.

"Now, Garteam," I hear you saying, "Sakurai's just giving Spring Man some extra attention because Spring Stadium is his stage. You're reading into nothing."

Well, my hypothetical opposition, would a character getting extra attention have the wrong logo in his splash screen?

EDIT: Image didn't work. Either way, Spring Man has Springtron's logo in his splash screen.

Additionally, it's worth noting that the models in these renders don't appear to be the ones from ARMS (and, by extension, the ones used in Min Min's final smash), suggesting they were not made for Smash and instead come from some other, unknown project. This, combined with the fact Spring Man has two renders, makes me think these renders are for some unknown, future ARMS project where Spring Man will play a major role. After all, if Spring Man really was getting demoted from being the series' mascot or played no special role in this project, why does he have more art than the other characters?

Perhaps the rumoured July direct will come with the announcement of an ARMS 2? Maybe ARMS 2 will have a formal story mode like many fighters have, one where Spring Man is the star? Food for thought.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
So I’ve been thinking. Chrom got in because Awakening fans actually like Chrom. Awakening fans were pissed Chrom wasn’t in and rushed to support him, even in the face of Robin and Lucina. ARMS fans are glad Spring Man isn’t in and think he’s boring (which isn’t even true they just bandwagon on people it’s “cool” to hate IMO, because there’s way more lore to him than the entire roster that isn’t Dr. Coyle combined (Edit: ok maybe not combined)). He became the butt of everyone’s jokes. He wasn’t even Sakurai’s second pick, with it being unlikely for us to get a second ARMS rep next game, let alone a third. Even then, who’s to say he wouldn’t pick Twintelle or Kid Cobra, who were two of the last ones standing? Our whole contingency plan for Spring was to be popular? How are we supposed to become popular when he’s basically Goku-levels of hated with almost every other character from his franchise being more beloved?

So I really think Spring Man is impossible to EVER. Ever. Be added into a future Smash game. Shame, too, as I think he’s one of the characters Smash will be “incomplete” without.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I was playing on Spring Stadium earlier today and noticed something interesting.

As most players have noticed, the jumbotron on the left side of the stage displays a splash screen for each ARMS fighter. These splash screens feature all new renders for each of the ARMS cast. That's not a new observation, obviously. I've seen quite a few posts wondering what the origins of these renders were.

What's interesting, however, is how each render follows a format. The character's face in the render is put at the front next to their logo, with their background being the character's primary colours and their full render (albeit desaturated and slightly transparent). However, there is one exception to this format. Spring Man instead uses two renders, one which shows his face and another, different one that shows his back. Not even Min Min, the character who made it as DLC in Smash, got this treatment.

"Now, Garteam," I hear you saying, "Sakurai's just giving Spring Man some extra attention because Spring Stadium is his stage. You're reading into nothing."

Well, my hypothetical opposition, would a character getting extra attention have the wrong logo in his splash screen?

EDIT: Image didn't work. Either way, Spring Man has Springtron's logo in his splash screen.

Additionally, it's worth noting that the models in these renders don't appear to be the ones from ARMS (and, by extension, the ones used in Min Min's final smash), suggesting they were not made for Smash and instead come from some other, unknown project. This, combined with the fact Spring Man has two renders, makes me think these renders are for some unknown, future ARMS project where Spring Man will play a major role. After all, if Spring Man really was getting demoted from being the series' mascot or played no special role in this project, why does he have more art than the other characters?

Perhaps the rumoured July direct will come with the announcement of an ARMS 2? Maybe ARMS 2 will have a formal story mode like many fighters have, one where Spring Man is the star? Food for thought.
honestly this could spark up some fun conversation about arms 2

gameplay improvements, modes, new character concepts and the like

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

In before Springtron has been modified and kidnapped the real Spring Man, so that no one will recognize him. :4pacman:

In all seriousness though, this all sounds valid, but I'm not sure if it means anything. For :ultbanjokazooie: content, one of the spirits got a new render not seen anywhere before, and that has yet to amount to something.

So I’ve been thinking. Chrom got in because Awakening fans actually like Chrom. Awakening fans were pissed Chrom wasn’t in and rushed to support him, even in the face of Robin and Lucina. ARMS fans are glad Spring Man isn’t in and think he’s boring (which isn’t even true they just bandwagon on people it’s “cool” to hate IMO, because there’s way more lore to him than the entire roster that isn’t Dr. Coyle combined). He became the butt of everyone’s jokes. He wasn’t even Sakurai’s second pick, with it being unlikely for us to get a second ARMS rep next game, let alone a third. Even then, who’s to say he wouldn’t pick Twintelle or Kid Cobra, who were two of the last ones standing? Our whole contingency plan for Spring was to be popular? How are we supposed to become popular when he’s basically Goku-levels of hated with almost every other character from his franchise being more beloved?

So I really think Spring Man is impossible to EVER. Ever. Be added into a future Smash game. Shame, too, as I think he’s one of the characters Smash will be “incomplete” without.
At least ARMS is still pretty new enough to have its full Smash potential realized with more newcomers in the future. Which is more than can be said for some series. :ultfalcon:

We should be grateful that the game was given a second chance to get in Smash this soon at all, otherwise the minor base game content would have been it. If Spring Man wasn't an AT, things might have been different, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So I’ve been thinking. Chrom got in because Awakening fans actually like Chrom. Awakening fans were pissed Chrom wasn’t in and rushed to support him, even in the face of Robin and Lucina. ARMS fans are glad Spring Man isn’t in and think he’s boring (which isn’t even true they just bandwagon on people it’s “cool” to hate IMO, because there’s way more lore to him than the entire roster that isn’t Dr. Coyle combined). He became the butt of everyone’s jokes. He wasn’t even Sakurai’s second pick, with it being unlikely for us to get a second ARMS rep next game, let alone a third. Even then, who’s to say he wouldn’t pick Twintelle or Kid Cobra, who were two of the last ones standing? Our whole contingency plan for Spring was to be popular? How are we supposed to become popular when he’s basically Goku-levels of hated with almost every other character from his franchise being more beloved?

Spring Man isn't hated or mocked, at least not by ARMS fans - the fact that we even had Min Min fans show up on this thread to give their condolences is proof of that. I haven't seen many people mock or hate on Spring Man, and the ones I did aren't fans of ARMS, but rather people who decided to start hating him in March when the ARMS rep was announced.

Spring Man is still a pretty beloved character within ARMS, and I think everyone will tell you that he'll be the frontrunner for an ARMS rep until he gets in.

With Chrom the same thing happened, even the dumb idea that he isn't the main character in Awakening (which persists to this day). Even with all that, fans still rallied around him and got him in.

Frankly, all this defeatism about him being less likely than Goku (an absurd notion for any videogame character) is the opposite of helpful. We need to be optimistic and proactive for him to have a better shot at getting in. If you can't do that, it's better if you say nothing.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So I’ve been thinking. Chrom got in because Awakening fans actually like Chrom. Awakening fans were pissed Chrom wasn’t in and rushed to support him, even in the face of Robin and Lucina.
You weren't there for the post Chrom bashing of Robin's reveal. It was pretty bad.

Opossum Opossum is probably the best person to discuss it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You weren't there for the post Chrom bashing of Robin's reveal. It was pretty bad.

Opossum Opossum is probably the best person to discuss it.
It feels like ancient history to me... but I remember complaining about how Sakurai sounded hypocritical for saying Chrom isn't unique and that's why he put Robin in Smash... and then he put Lucina in Smash and she is exactly the same as Marth except for the sword tip. All water under the bridge now that Chrom finally made it in.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While Min Min was my most wanted Arms pick, I was also cheering for Spring Man as well. Hopefully, he get's his chance in the next Smash along with Ribbon Girl and Twintelle.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Well good news, Spring Fans! ("good" being relative)

The 8.1.0 update fixed Spring Man's logo!

(And sadly, this is probably the best news for Spring Man fans for the next 10 years, if not the rest of the eternity) NGL tho, I was half-expecting that to stay in the next game.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here's hoping that ARMS has a healthy future. The fact that it still has a lot of people playing online certainly helps. I'll definitely be supporting Spring Man for next time, too, likely as a semi-clone of Min Min, where he uses his own ARMS and maybe replaced some of Min Min's kicks as well.

Springaling, you magnificent toothpaste slinky pizza man.

Top Bottom