• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spotdodge -> Grab

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Maybe it's just me, but I almost never see this on the videos I watch on youtube. Spotdodge grab has MANY MANY advantages over spotdodge D-smash.

Most people try to shield whenever ROB spotdodges (if they don't have a reliable lingering hitbox or tactic for beating spotdodges anyway). D-smashing at this point would be stupid except for a 1 frame discrepancy between the reliability of landing that as opposed to grab (D-smash is frame 4, and while grab is frame 6, it takes one frame to shield, so technically D-smash only has like 1 frame advantage over grab on defenses, or just 2 frames if you need to do a turnaround grab)

People also tend to DI out of the D-smash in high level play, making it less reliable and more risky. Grabbing basically has the same reach as D-smash. Getting a grab guarantees you 10% and possibly a few pummels, which basically does just as much as the max damage of D-smash, only it's better once move decay is factored in. Not to mention ROB's throws actually have something that resembles followups, and at high percents, the potential to kill.

If I recall correctly, if by chance your opponent tries to spotdodge, Grab also has less duration, so you're more likely to be able to do stuff out of grab if you whiff.

My experience grabbing instead of D-smashing has overall been positive. If you don't do this, do it now. It's very good, and I'm pretty sure it's overall more useful than D-smashing.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I don't like spotdodge F-air because technically that comes out on frame 12 as I recall (factoring jump startup). You might as well F-smash out of spotdodge if they can be hit by F-air.

Sudai

Stuff here
I guess I should actually get some videos of me online. Every time anyone says "I never see good ROBs do <stuff>! Why not?" I shake my head because I've been doing it. :/

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Bringing up the Dsmash again, it doesn't matter if they DI it, just Dsmash again.

Sudai

Stuff here
I prefer FSmash or DTilt when people SDI out. DTilt sets up a better position and FSmash gets them off stage, generally. FSmash is riskier though since it has a bit more lag.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
True, the point was that you can still react before they can if they decide to SDI it.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
koing, I'm pretty sure ftilt is 9 frames. Dtilt/Dsmash/grab are all faster and better options.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
sd > ftilt anyone
comes out in what two frames and can knock them off the stage and set up for tilt chains at low %
F-tilt is better when you're far enough to tip your opponent with, if you're spot-dodging, you probably shouldn't be using f-tilt.

NaZe

Smash Rookie
I started to do SD -> Grab, since September. I usually do too, reverse GT -> Pivot Grab, at minor %. Sorry, my english isn't that good, but i hope you understand me.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
I use SD-> jab then follow with whatever (Fsmash, grab, jab again, Dtilt).

But SD-> grab is sexy as well.

Top Bottom